• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Lost Approximately %50 of Value

He's actually not, he holds a variety of positions on different subjects not a hive mind one.

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That strange headache guy is a ree, prob gone from purple place and coming back here ( just letting you guys know)

I'm not trying to backseat mod here, but attacking a person rather than their opinion is typically a sign that you aren't winning whatever argument you're in, and probably aren't genuine in your arguments.

Also strange headache strange headache and I banged heads in the Miss Marvel OT over the depiction of Muslims. He definitely ain't no dyed in the wool Ree member. It's OK if we disagree on certain topics and not others. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a Ree immigrant.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Unfortunately, it’s like we are a k-12 school, all sharing the same curriculum.

What seems preachy to some is actually a very important lesson to others. I’m tired of being told “it’s okay to be gay! Look - gay!”
I don’t even think twice about gay people anymore. No more than I think twice about vegetarians. Don’t care.

But for others, the validation of gay people can still be highly influential. Especially those in other countries. I don’t really mind if a country which has a homophobic government has to start missing out on our movies, because they treat gay people unfairly. Stuff like that could be a small part of a positive movement, I’d think.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't understand how the existence and depiction of gay people is controversial in 2022, specially in a western country.

Meanwhile, I got a legitimate beef with local gays and you don't see me hating on them because they're gays, I hate my local gay community because I have a rightful beef.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
This is why people take the piss out of you loons, just constant projecting and labeling people you dont agree with, with nothing to back it up. Like i said, you will do more harm than good long term.

By the way, i wasnt even talking about fecking Lightyear, i dont give a shit about Buzz Lightyear. I dont think kissing of any kind needs to be a childrens cartoon At the end of the day, you reep what you sow, and Disney are feeling that right now. And its glorious.
Were you complaining about kisses in cartoons on Snow White, beauty and the beast, sleeping beauty and others? 🤔
this is only a problem when it comes to same sex kissing, I wonder why… 🧐

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is why people take the piss out of you loons, just constant projecting and labeling people you dont agree with, with nothing to back it up. Like i said, you will do more harm than good long term.

By the way, i wasnt even talking about fecking Lightyear, i dont give a shit about Buzz Lightyear. I dont think kissing of any kind needs to be a childrens cartoon At the end of the day, you reep what you sow, and Disney are feeling that right now. And its glorious.

Stuart, you are the sad loon here.

There is a thing called critical thinking. Not everything is some agenda driven plot. Learn to recognize when to fight against slacktivist bent writing and when not to. This is not one of the times that require as you to fight.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Lesbians are human beings.

Depicting humans merely existing as they are is not an "agenda".

How do you think you're making our many gay members here feel? Just being all cavalierly hateful like this towards them?
If you insert a character that happens to be gay or trans out of pure creativity, that's fine.

But if you're running a color skin, gender bs quota checklist on your movie to lecture and advance your virtue signaling on my kids, you can fuck right off.

Like other commenter has said, the well is now poisoned. You'll never convince me the activists inside Disney didn't run that checklist, which ultimately hurts the creativity and the quality of the product.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
If you insert a character that happens to be gay or trans out of pure creativity, that's fine.

But if you're running a color skin, gender bs quota checklist on your movie to lecture and advance your virtue signaling on my kids, you can fuck right off.

Like other commenter has said, the well is now poisoned. You'll never convince me the activists inside Disney didn't run that checklist, which ultimately hurts the creativity and the quality of the product.
But how do you tell if it’s out of creativity or a quota checklist?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Oh god there they go, like clockwork every year... 80+ decibels... gays have the right to do a parade but by god do they need to pass every year by my house?

At least they quit their habit of having a full truck of riflemen shooting salvos of blanks.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Typically the quality of the writing. Slacktivist-bent writing tends to be very obvious. For example, if a character is LGBT, they will let you know. Constantly. Over and over again. That will be the entire point of their character, of their story, of their personality.

One such slacktivist-bent story is what can be seen in something like ”Falcon and the Winter Soldier” where the “writers” tried to force a very out of left field “banks don’t trust black people!” narrative with Falcon’s family. Something that takes you completely out of the story and world that was crafted up until that point Because “black lives matter” was a popular thing at the time.

However something like in Lightyear? Or Loud House? Where they simply exist, have their own unique personalities and character arcs and being LGBT isn’t the forefront of who they are? Pretty obvious to see that it isn’t some slacktivist-bent writing.

But some folks can’t use their brains for critical thought. They need to see stuff that isn’t there. Its no different than the extremists on sites like Twitter and Era calling everything offensive, racist, bigoted, etc. Its just from the other end of the spectrum. Its utterly fucking retarded.

Batiman

Banned
Typically the quality of the writing. Slacktivist-bent writing tends to be very obvious. For example, if a character is LGBT, they will let you know. Constantly. Over and over again. That will be the entire point of their character, of their story, of their personality.

One such slacktivist-bent story is what can be seen in something like ”Falcon and the Winter Soldier” where the “writers” tried to force a very out of left field “banks don’t trust black people!” narrative with Falcon’s family. Something that takes you completely out of the story and world that was crafted up until that point Because “black lives matter” was a popular thing at the time.

However something like in Lightyear? Or Loud House? Where they simply exist, have their own unique personalities and character arcs and being LGBT isn’t the forefront of who they are? Pretty obvious to see that it isn’t some slacktivist-bent writing.

But some folks can’t use their brains for critical thought. They need to see stuff that isn’t there. Its no different than the extremists on sites like Twitter and Era calling everything offensive, racist, bigoted, etc. Its just from the other end of the spectrum. Its utterly fucking retarded.
I agree it’s this, but is Disney really guilty of your first point?

Swift_Star

Banned

What about inserting white straight people? Isn’t that a checklist too? 🤔 what a nonsense take.

Swift_Star

Banned

I see, just like straight guys in movies let you know they’re straight over and over but nobody seems to care.
I wonder why that is.
🤔

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I'm not really sure how to respond to this. You're assuming Disney has some kind of checklist they consult for all hiring when it comes to diversity? I doubt that's the case.

But anyways, the scene in question was brief and projected no kind of message on the film overall. It was just two people being people.

I think I'm going to bow out of this thread now because I just cannot wrap my head around how people can see gays being gays and somehow think they're trying to come for their children or whatever wild crap people think. I don't get it, and it's hate beyond what I am willing to deal with.

Stuart360

I'm not really sure how to respond to this. You're assuming Disney has some kind of checklist they consult for all hiring when it comes to diversity? I doubt that's the case.

But anyways, the scene in question was brief and projected no kind of message on the film overall. It was just two people being people.

I think I'm going to bow out of this thread now because I just cannot wrap my head around how people can see gays being gays and somehow think they're trying to come for their children or whatever wild crap people think. I don't get it, and it's hate beyond what I am willing to deal with.

Last edited:

nush

When you see the same elements/tropes/exposition across a number of media properties from different content creators all happening within a relatively short time-frame.

one example is random
two examples is a coincidence
three examples is a pattern.

You could probably make a woke rating system like the Bechdel test now as there's so many data-points for it.

Stuart360

That was obviously done tongue-in-cheek... anyways the conversation is turning political so I am peacing out.
It doesnt matter why it was done, its still a mocking video, a mocking video at the time when these people are after acceptance and inclusion. It wasnt exactly the smartest move was it, and the backlash to it tells you everything you need to know about where the masses feelings are towards this shit.

Stuart360

More retarded Shit. Just because a few extremists claim this shit doesn’t mean its common place views. Do better, Stuart. I think I had more respect for you when you were mindlessly warring for Xbox.
I was replying to someone saying 'they dont know where this idea comes from that they are coming for their children'. Well there it is, right out of the horses mouth.
It backfired big time for them, but they still did it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It doesnt matter why it was done, its still a mocking video, a mocking video at the time when these people are after acceptance and inclusion. It wasnt exactly the smartest move was it, and the backlash to it tells you everything you need to know about where the masses feelings are towards this shit.

I mean, there's a very powerful political faction that wants to wipe out things that allow them to have a normal life, like marrying each other. At that point, i'm fine with using humour as a blunt weapon.

And before you think that's sci-fi, the supremes have already said gay wedding is next on the chopping block.

edit: and now im out for good.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Bit hypocritical of them to advocate for minorities and the lgbt+ community in the west and then cut said inclusive content from foreign markets. Sends a real message about what they stand for.

The problem is not so much them (disney) making inclusive content, it's how they are doing it. Pandering content is what they have been putting out instead of quality and that is pushing away the average consumer. People watch fictional TV shows and movies for escapism not to be preached at.
Exactly. Pushing woke identity politics in a heavy-handed way in sc-fi and comic book material.

badblue

More retarded Shit. Just because a few extremists claim this shit doesn’t mean its common place views.

Just because it's not a common place view does that mean it's acceptable for those minority of people that DO have that view to engage in it? Are we not supposed to call out questionable behaviors?

Reallink

Must be one of those alt right Neogaf conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Y’all fighting like it is the first time Disney has tried to influence kids? Where do you think the “I wanna be a princess” comes from?

Why do you think an entire generation who seeks forever happy and hope things will magically be better comes from ???

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just because it's not a common place view does that mean it's acceptable for those minority of people that DO have that view to engage in it? Are we not supposed to call out questionable behaviors?

Of course you should fight it and call out the insanity. However there is a thing called critical thinking. Time and place. Realizing when something *is* worth fighting. The lesbian kiss on Lightyear? Not worth fucking fighting, mate. Trying to conflate said scene to this just makes you (royal you) come across as fucking looney tunes.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I really want to know what's "woke" to some of y'all... Because it seems to be something different for everyone.

The original meaning was to see the truth under all the filler. Now y'all (people in general) changed the meaning

badblue

Of course you should fight it and call out the insanity. However there is a thing called critical thinking. Time and place. Realizing when something *is* worth fighting.

There doesn't seem to be any good time or place though. Criticism of an idea or the actions of a person of the group tends to get spun into being attacked because their are part of the group while the critic get accused of being "-phobic".

The lesbian kiss on Lightyear? Not worth fucking fighting, mate. Trying to conflate said scene to this just makes you (royal you) come across as fucking looney tunes.

Oh, I though we were talking about the two videos that you responded too. I tend to agree with you, that the kiss in Lightyear (haven't seen it myself) is probably nothing to get worked up about.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There doesn't seem to be any good time or place though. Criticism of an idea or the actions of a person of the group tends to get spun into being attacked because their are part of the group while the critic get accused of being "-phobic".
I mean GAF is a great place for calling out insanity. Twitter has been getting better, plus honestly most places of academia tend to allow actual debate without fear of losing your jobs/career/livelihood. Reality is the insane are preaching mostly to insane. People watch less MSM than ever and instead focus on what makes them happy. Usually with prolific use of Adblock and a dose of reality.
Oh, I though we were talking about the two videos that you responded too. I tend to agree with you, that the kiss in Lightyear (haven't seen it myself) is probably nothing to get worked up about.

Yea, sorry for hte confusion! A few folks are trying to conflate the two videos as being the same as the Lesbian kiss. Its fucking insane.

Top Bottom