• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Lost Approximately %50 of Value

gatti-man

Disney lost about %50 over a year, and 10% over the last 5 years. The company loss rate is double that of overall market trend.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/investors-walt-disney-nyse-dis-112615996.html

Technically not broke because of the deep pockets, but losing 100 billion out of your market cap gotta hurt.
Have you looked at the nasdaq lately? The best companies are down 30%. Even cash machines like Facebook are down 50+%. That’s stocks when the bubble pops.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I didn't realize Disney was such a controversial company for some people. 🤷‍♂️

Also, people claiming that the gay kiss in Lightyear somehow held that movie's success back, I highly doubt it. It's 2022, the average person out there in any first world country is not homophobic. They certainly wouldn't flip their lid over a fucking kiss between two women. That's far right extremist shit.

Dev1lXYZ

Disney+ has lowered the perception of value for every brand associated with it in the eyes of the public, especially in today’s economy. Wait a couple of months for a movie to pop on stream and save $100? That’s me right there.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This is the first homosexual kiss in a Disney cartoon AFAIK and it comes hot of the heals of the "don't say gay" controversy. I'm not connecting dots that don't exist, it's right in front of you. And regardless of how cobbled or meta Lightyear is, it should have done better than it did. Something stopped parents from taking their family to see this movie and it's not some internal market turmoil. It's quite obvious.
Bullshit. Was this kiss featured in trailers? On the news? I never even knew about it till this forum mentioned it. Even if it was on conservative news why didn't the other side see it? Your nonsense falls apart at the slightest thought.

Last edited:

nush

Bullshit. Was this kiss featured in trailers? On the news? I never even knew about it till this forum mentioned it. The only thing obvious is your nonsense bias. Movies fail for many reasons all the time.

These things get put in media to be shared on social media as part of the marketing. Then when said media fails to perform those same people that were being catered to for free marketing services then have the impression it only failed because of "that" and not because the product was actually shit. Rinse and repeat.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Also, people claiming that the gay kiss in Lightyear somehow held that movie's success back, I highly doubt it. It's 2022, the average person out there in any first world country is not homophobic. They certainly wouldn't flip their lid over a fucking kiss between two women. That's far right extremist shit.

Considering their gay pandering is restricted to scenes that have nothing to do with the plot so they can easily be cut for less accepting markets, I doubt people are gonna care much.

And I say the term gay pandering because they’re throwaway scenes, pure tokenism. So far they haven’t had a gay relationship that couldn’t be cut from the movie without butchering the product.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Disney+ has lowered the perception of value for every brand associated with it in the eyes of the public, especially in today’s economy. Wait a couple of months for a movie to pop on stream and save $100? That’s me right there.

As far as Disney is concerned, they're still getting plenty of money per movie and show because they're keeping all of those dollars by retaining millions of customers paying $X each month. The box office revenue is now an extra on top, rather than the primary driver.

Besides, the writing has been on the wall for theaters for a long time now, even before the pandemic. It seems like a venue only suitable for massive, populist blockbusters these days. It's not something media conglomerates could have continued to rely heavily upon IMO.

Batiman

Banned
This is the first homosexual kiss in a Disney cartoon AFAIK and it comes hot of the heals of the "don't say gay" controversy. I'm not connecting dots that don't exist, it's right in front of you. And regardless of how cobbled or meta Lightyear is, it should have done better than it did. Something stopped parents from taking their family to see this movie and it's not some internal market turmoil. It's quite obvious.
You’re telling me everyone knew there was a gay kiss scene in this movie prior to even watching it? Lmao. C’mon

Airbus Jr

Banned

Also, people claiming that the gay kiss in Lightyear somehow held that movie's success back, I highly doubt it. It's 2022
Banned in several countries because of it including big market like china obv will have some effect

Check the comments in video even parents in US refuse to bring kids to cinema because of it

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Banned in several countries because of it including big market like china obv will have some effect

Check the comments in video even parents in US refuse to bring kids to cinema because of it

I really, truly have no interest in reading homophobic YouTube comments. It's all just vocal minorities as usual.

Horrible governments like those of China banning movies over these kinds of things is nothing new. Do you support China and other countries banning this movie, BTW?

Airbus Jr

Banned
I really, truly have no interest in reading homophobic YouTube comments. It's all just vocal minorities as usual.

Horrible governments like those of China banning movies over these kinds of things is nothing new. Do you support China and other countries banning this movie, BTW?
Parents refusing forced lesbians agenda in kids movie is homophobic now? Ffs

Last edited:

Doom85

A good deal of Gaf - “fuck the Chinese government!”
(Chinese government bans something that said Gaffers consider “woke”)
A good deal of Gaf -
200.gif

Airbus Jr

Banned
Lesbians are human beings.

Depicting humans merely existing as they are is not an "agenda".

How do you think you're making our many gay members here feel? Just being all cavalierly hateful like this towards them?
I dont care what you think, youre ok with stuff like this in kids movie youre nuts, profit down 50% ( thats is huge) obv youre not winning this argument. Bye

Last edited:

Doom85

I dont care what you think, youre ok with stuff like this in kids movie youre nuts, ok bye

Hunchback of Notre Dame - attempted baby murder, a scene of sexual harassment, a song about lust, families (offscreen) burning to death, the villain falling into hell (and this is rated G)

Airbus:
Go Ahead Reaction GIF

Lightyear - two women have a brief kiss with presumably no tongue (and rated PG)

Airbus:
angry crowd GIF by South Park

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hunchback of Notre Dame - attempted baby murder, a scene of sexual harassment, a song about lust, families (offscreen) burning to death, the villain falling into hell (and this is rated G)

Airbus:

Lightyear - two women have a brief kiss with presumably no tongue (and rated PG)

Airbus:
How about you lecture those people who refuse to watch and cause Disney to lost 50% revenue. Dont ask me im just passing by here reading the news.

Last edited:

Doom85

How about you lecture those people who refuse to watch and cause Disney to lost 50% revenue. Dont ask me im just passing by here reading the news.

Frustrated Jack Nicholson GIF

Oh yes, you definitely didn’t make your own opinion on the matter quite clear a few comments ago.

Ah yes, “just passing through”. I mean, staying around and replying to everyone doesn’t seem like “passing through” to me, but hey I guess we can just change the meaning of words whenever we feel like it, right?

theclaw135

Banned

Fortunately freedom is a two way street. Parents don't have to take their kids to a move they're not comfortable with. Disney doesn't have to cave to those people.

If anything, I'd applaud the studio for making the movie they wanted to make. Even if it earns less money.

Tams

I liked the premise The Force Awakens initially lead audiences to believe. I figured they'd run with the angle that the occasional unexpected birth of a force-wielder was an event rare enough to shake up galactic history. Plus to me, destroying the Death Star wasn't enough to end the war. Imperial remnants sweeping in to fill the power vacuum was the only storytelling that made sense in context.
Yes, but name any film, especially a franchise, that has done well under JJ Abrams on its own merits rather than feeding off pent up desire for it or previous films not by him being incredibly popular...

He's a mediocre director at best.

nush

Do you support China and other countries banning this movie, BTW?

China only allows 34 foreign imported films per year to be screened here, that's less than one film a week for the year. The studios will decide which of their movies they would like to show in China, provided the pass the film certification board. So anyone making drama that a movie was "Banned" in China needs to know that 99.9% of movies get "Banned". It doesn't actually mean anything and loads of foreign movies are on the streaming services here anyway. It's just the theatrical released that are limited so China can promote it's own movies (and keep all the profits).

Doom85

Yes, but name any film, especially a franchise, that has done well under JJ Abrams on its own merits rather than feeding off pent up desire for it or previous films not by him being incredibly popular...

He's a mediocre director at best.

I mean, Mission Impossible 3 was certainly better than 2. Arguably 1 as well, though I’d say 1 had more stand out scenes while 3 was more consistent in quality (and of course Phillip Seymour Hoffman ruled as the villain).

Sure, 4-6 then came out and were far better than any of the prior 3, but I don’t see that as a knock against Abrams. Hell, some of what 3 set up (Ethan’s wife, Simon Pegg’s character) was used well in the following films.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
China only allows 34 foreign imported films per year to be screened here, that's less than one film a week for the year. The studios will decide which of their movies they would like to show in China, provided the pass the film certification board. So anyone making drama that a movie was "Banned" in China needs to know that 99.9% of movies get "Banned". It doesn't actually mean anything and loads of foreign movies are on the streaming services here anyway. It's just the theatrical released that are limited so China can promote it's own movies (and keep all the profits).

Sure, but China still bans movies for reasons such as this. I get that they control the flow of products into the country, including movies, but they still ban stuff for reasons such as this. As they did with this movie.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Channels name is Common Sense Conservative. I am shock, I tell you Pikachu Shocked that this channel has negative opinions about the kiss.
W O W ! ! !

And those 6.3k comments certainly would be the vast majority of cinema goers!!!

theclaw135

Banned
Sure, but China still bans movies for reasons such as this. I get that they control the flow of products into the country, including movies, but they still ban stuff for reasons such as this. As they did with this movie.

Well the circumstances are different. How do we determine whether a movie was skipped for release in China because no slot was available, or it was blocked by authorities and may never be able to release?

Last edited:

Doom85

They had to also control the flow of The Force Awakens movie poster so a few cuts and edits had to be made, but don’t worry, the fact that it was mostly reducing Finn in size by a significant amount is a complete and totally innocent coincidence!

Tams

I mean, Mission Impossible 3 was certainly better than 2. Arguably 1 as well, though I’d say 1 had more stand out scenes while 3 was more consistent in quality (and of course Phillip Seymour Hoffman ruled as the villain).

Sure, 4-6 then came out and were far better than any of the prior 3, but I don’t see that as a knock against Abrams. Hell, some of what 3 set up (Ethan’s wife, Simon Pegg’s character) was used well in the following films.
But isn't the popularity of Mission Impossible due to pretty much just Tom Cruise? And it was very popular/a household name franchise by the time came out.

Not that they are anything special. Good, dumb fun really.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well the circumstances are different. How do we determine whether a movie was skipped for release in China because no slot was available, or it was blocked by authorities and may never be able to release?

Well one can just look to their own words. In this case, as with many others, China requested the scene be removed and Disney refused. And then it got banned. A very clear string of events.

Doom85

But isn't the popularity of Mission Impossible due to pretty much just Tom Cruise? And it was very popular/a household name franchise by the time came out.

Not that they are anything special. Good, dumb fun really.

I’m talking quality not sales numbers. And honestly, he might have saved the franchise as 3 could have easily have bombed given how underwhelming most found 2 to be. Remember, for example Batman Forever did pretty well in the box office, but its actual reputation caused Batman and Robin to bomb in the box office. I could have seen MI 3 doing the same if Abrams hadn’t made sure to make a pretty entertaining film.

Popularity doesn’t always equate quality. Big Bang Theory was insanely popular, and while I don’t hate the show, I found far greater enjoyment from Arrested Development and Community which both had far smaller fanbases than BBT.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yeah about that.....

Well here's one source that quotes one of the producers of the film:

I’m assuming it will not make it to China. I know we’ve gotten requests for things to cut, Disney isn’t going to modify the material.

We’re not going to cut out anything, especially something as important as the loving and inspirational relationship that shows Buzz what he’s missing by the choices that he’s making, so that’s not getting cut

And then it got banned. And again, this is certainly not the first film to suffer such a fate in China.

If I'm wrong please let me know. But it's looking like more of the same from China and other countries like them.

Kenpachii

People mad that lesbians exist lol.

Have fun letting your kid grow up in a world where gays are a accepted thing, while pretending they don't exist.

I don't see a issue with this type of stuff, kinda kills the "gays are bad" vibe early on in there development as they grow up getting used towards it.

I grow up with gays around me, didn't make me gay. Sure as hell made me find them to be normal people like anybody else later on in life.

Funny enough it only shows the true colors of those parents.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It seems to be an ever increasing trend with overly woke agenda driven products underperforming. Of course the resident Ree ban rejects searching for a new home will argue its nothing to do with that but it certainly is, at least partly anyway.
Just talk to people if you dont believe it, the masses are getting fed up with the constant nonsense.

nush

It seems to be an ever increasing trend with overly woke agenda driven products underperforming. Of course the resident Ree ban rejects searching for a new home will argue its nothing to do with that but it certainly is, at least partly anyway.
Just talk to people if you dont believe it, the masses are getting fed up with the constant nonsense.

Tokenism to fill in a checkbox so the alphabet crew and their allies can post about it on social media. They are the ones that won't be going to see it anyway, they just want validation. They really undersold that Lightyear kiss though, Lesbian, interracial, GILFs make out in front of their kid.

tlIOpC.md.jpg

If losing income from 14 or so countries isn't a textbook get woke go broke example, I'm sure someone will be right along to call me an alt right nazi any moment now. It's not just Disney, loads of properties have been tanked with this stuff in the last few years.

Stuart360

Tokenism to fill in a checkbox so the alphabet crew and their allies can post about it on social media. They are the ones that won't be going to see it anyway, they just want validation. They really undersold that Lightyear kiss though, Lesbian, interracial, GILFs make out in front of their kid.

tlIOpC.md.jpg

If losing income from 14 or so countries isn't a textbook get woke go broke example, I'm sure someone will be right along to call me an alt right nazi any moment now. It's not just Disney, loads of properties have been tanked with this stuff in the last few years.
Well its like i said in another thread the other week, the whole SJW agenda will IMO do more harm than good long term. You cant just force this stuff onto people, then cancel anyone that speaks against it. This isnt 1930's Nazi Germany. Its only a matter of time until the masses bite back against this shit, and to be fair its been happening for a while now.

If this stuff was brought in slowly, organically, into popular culture (tv, movies, and games) over time with little 'fan fare' and discussion, i think the masses would over time get used to seeing this stuff, and over time would come to accept it. But the way its been done over the last 10 years, with a million articles, interviews, people getting cancelled, ridiculous stuff being censored or banned, or people losing eveything, basically having a didgital stormtrooper cult tell you 'you are getting this stuff, and you WILL like it if you know whats good for you', well shit like that never works.

Let this loons call you a Nazi, its the SJW loons that are doing the fascism, and they dont even know it.

Last edited:
Well its like i said in another thread the other week, the whole SJW agenda will IMO do more harm than good long term.

Or, you can have a nuanced position and let a harmless lesbian kiss be a lesbian kiss., instead of raising a stink about it for no reason.

If this stuff was brought in slowly, organically, into popular culture (tv, movies, and games) over time with little 'fan fare' and discussion, i think the masses would over time get used to seeing this stuff, and over time would come to accept it.

Yeah, if only.... more absurdist reasoning to justify your hate towards same-sex people. Either the inclusion of same-sex parents is okay, or it isn't.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Or, you can have a nuanced position and let a harmless lesbian kiss be a lesbian kiss., instead of raising a stink about it for no reason.

Yeah, if only.... more absurdist reasoning to justify your hate towards same-sex people. Either the inclusion of same-sex parents is okay, or it isn't.
This is why people take the piss out of you loons, just constant projecting and labeling people you dont agree with, with nothing to back it up. Like i said, you will do more harm than good long term.

By the way, i wasnt even talking about fecking Lightyear, i dont give a shit about Buzz Lightyear. I dont think kissing of any kind needs to be a childrens cartoon At the end of the day, you reep what you sow, and Disney are feeling that right now. And its glorious.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This is why people take the piss out of you loons, just constant projecting and labeling people you dont agree with, with nothing to back it up. Like i said, you will do more harm than good long term.

By the way, i wasnt even talking about fecking Lightyear, i dont give a shit about Buzz Lightyear. I dont think kissing of any kind needs to be a childrens cartoon At the end of the day, you reep what you sow, and Disney are feeling that right now. And its glorious.
That strange headache guy is a ree, prob gone from purple place and coming back here ( just letting you guys know)

Last edited:

It's what the comment you replied to was about.
You don't mind the lesbian kiss, but you're also gleefully supporting everybody who rails against it.

Makes no goddamn sense!

That strange headache guy is a ree ( just letting you guys know)

What the f*ck are you talking about you single braincell amoeba?

Last edited:
Top Bottom