• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney/20th Century Returns to Theatrical Exclusivity Following Shang-Chi's Success

ManaByte

Gold Member

Disney announced on Friday that upcoming 2021 films “Eternals,” “The Last Duel,” “West Side Story,” “Ron’s Gone Wrong” and “The King’s Man” will get exclusive, 45-day theatrical windows before moving to digital platforms.

“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” Marvel’s first exclusive theatrical release in more than two years, has grossed $105.9 million domestically through Wednesday. While that is on the lower end of grosses for MCU features, it also means “Shang-Chi” is already outpacing the theatrical grosses of “Black Widow,” which had earned $100.7 million at that point in its theatrical run after opening in July day-and-date on Disney Plus Premier Access. That makes “Shang-Chi” one of the best performing theatrical releases of the pandemic era and practically an existential boon for exhibitors in desperate need of some good news.

Simu Liu Marvel GIF by NowThis

DKehoe

I love going to the cinema. So I'm glad that's not going away. When things started to pivot to streaming services I started to get concerned about the future of cinemas. But it's a pity for people who prefer VOD.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Good, another 4 months and most movies should have an exclusive theatrical run again. Day and date fucks shit up.

I saw KISS last night (FUCKING AMAZING) and in CA where there's an 80+% vaccination rate the place was packed full of people. No masks. People aren't afraid anymore once they're vaccinated. Heard of opening night Shang-Chi screenings in the area being 95-100% full as well.

dorkimoe

Hotdogs from the couple behind that are so long they bang you on the head. Phone light girl. Teenage yobs. Spoiler guy. Fucking Ai.
Last couple things that happened to me was that guy who thinks hes funny shouting things out, a lady next to me with the biggest jangly earings ever making noise.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Dude fell asleep next to me and started snoring ten minutes into Logan. Someone a row ahead started staring, came up and asked if the guy was my grandpa, before nudging him awake and complaining. Guy fell right back asleep.

This is after the man’s only words to me were “sneaking in??” when I first approached and sat down in my assigned seat.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Let me guess, you go to the movies 2-3 times a year?

Let me guess, you are ignorant of reality?

All these cry babies about theaters. Go to a theater that respects their customers. I go see probably 12 movies a year and have only had 1 bad experience in like 5 years.

Not everyone has that option, in fact most don't. Hundreds of cities/towns have a single theatre available for "modern" movies, if they are lucky enough to even get that.

oagboghi2

So fewer choices for regular people, but more money in Disneys pocket. Hooray :rolleyes:

At least the theatre snobs will stop whining about the "theatre experience"

sol_bad

Not everyone has that option, in fact most don't. Hundreds of cities/towns have a single theatre available for "modern" movies, if they are lucky enough to even get that.

Not ignorant at all, all the things that people whinge about in here happen maybe 1 in 10 times.

gatti-man

Every major city I’ve ever been to has Atleast one decent theater. Austin has like 6 used to be more pre covid

Kev Kev

I much prefer at home. You can’t pause the movie at a theater and I like to get up and grab a drink or a snack without missing anything. And I always find myself having to go pee at the theatre… yeah I’m good, I’ll just wait for VOD

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Every major city I’ve ever been to has Atleast one decent theater. Austin has like 6 used to be more pre covid
I repeat. Hundreds of cities/towns have a single theatre available. Not everyone lives in major cities.

Not ignorant at all, all the things that people whinge about in here happen maybe 1 in 10 times.
Given your history, find it far more likely you are oblivious to these things happening around you. These are all incredibly common across theatres all over the US.

Rockondevil

Couple of years ago before I had a kid my wife and I went to most big release movies at the cinemas.
Love the experience and glad it's going back to that. I'd think it'd be somewhat sad for my son to grow up with cinemas non-existent.

I've never even had a bad experience with dozens of movies a year, unlike apparently so many people above me have had.

gatti-man

I repeat. Hundreds of cities/towns have a single theatre available. Not everyone lives in major cities.

Given your history, find it far more likely you are oblivious to these things happening around you. These are all incredibly common across theatres all over the US.
And yet shang chi did 95m during a pandemic. Obviously not as bad as you say then is it.

sol_bad

No, when it does happen and it is annoying. If the person is near me I'll politely ask them to turn their phone off or stop talking. If they don't I'll make a complaint.

Food can't be helped, I remember people eating popcorn loudly behind me during A Quiet Place 2. The retarded idiots wouldn't wait until the loud scenes to chew. Still a better first time experience than at home.

Like I said, when you make very regular trips to the cinema it's not often an issue. If you only go 2-3 times a year and don't go opening weekend I can see this seeming like a bigger issue than it is. This is for cinemas in the Philippines and Australia.

Cyberpunkd

I saw KISS last night (FUCKING AMAZING) and in CA where there's an 80+% vaccination rate the place was packed full of people. No masks. People aren't afraid anymore once they're vaccinated. Heard of opening night Shang-Chi screenings in the area being 95-100% full as well.
And in a few days we will get an uptick again.
I like choice between home TV and cinema.

mcjmetroid

If they make a film I want to see I'll go to the cinema again.

Only Pixar movies I like from Disney these days because that's their only studio making original content.

i like seeing new ideas at the cinema.

Zenaku

I know it shouldn't, but that gif in the op is really annoying me. Why does he move backwards between camera cuts?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes. The whole experience is trash here imo.

So I've heard. People talking, shouting, screaming or howling like banshees during the film. That would put me off as well.

In the UK it's totally different. No phones allowed and it's totally silent, which with the huge screen and sound system, makes it a truly immersive experience.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Literally no movie I can’t wait 45 days for (with exception of The Batman). My cinema young days are nearly over.

thefool

Good. You want to watch at home, you wait.

Make it like a 9 month window btw. No reason to even short it when you have a continuous catalog of other shit in your platform.

Velcro Fly

HBO Max has had a ton of stuff this year that i've watched rather than go see in a theater including a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have watched otherwise. Only thing I wish I would have gone to the theater to see was Godzilla vs Kong but I'm not sure theaters near me were open yet then.

Cleared_Hot

People aren't afraid anymore period. This vaccine is fucking useless remember

ManaByte

Gold Member
They just go back to their same old routine.. pandemics won’t change that 🤣

45 day windows is cutting the original theatrical window in half, and you can be sure the theater owner's mafia won't be happy about that and will be threatening to break some studio legs over it.

The way theater grosses work is the first 3 weekends are best for the studios. They make the most then as the majority of the box office take goes to them. But as the run goes on the balance shifts to the theater's favor. So after about a month and half (45 days) the theater is then making the majority of the take from the box office and not the movie studios. That's why the original theatrical window for everyone was a standard 90 days.

Cutting it down to 45 days looks good from a studio PR angle, it says "hey we're exclusive to theaters for 45 days" but the truth of the matter is you can be sure the theater owners association is pissed about it because the movie really benefits the movie studios more than the theaters with the way the grosses are dished out.

Fbh

As someone who lives 500 miles for the nearest movie theater I was enjoying the VOID released.

But to be honest I'm glad they are going back to the regular release method. I don't think they were making as much money with the day and date format and I'd rather wait a couple of months instead of having the blockbuster industry regress to Netflix original production values to accommodate for lower profits.

Top Bottom