• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney/20th Century Returns to Theatrical Exclusivity Following Shang-Chi's Success

Impotaku

Cinemas are a dying relic of a byegone era covid just sped up the process, overpriced shit. The last time i stepped foot in one was to see the last harry potter & i haven't missed going since then. Entertainment to cost ratio is poor, would rather spend my money on other stuff.

DoomGyver

I’m sticking with digital. When the movie gets terrible reviews I’ll avoid. Just have to stay away from spoilers for 45 days.

sinnergy

45 day windows is cutting the original theatrical window in half, and you can be sure the theater owner's mafia won't be happy about that and will be threatening to break some studio legs over it.

The way theater grosses work is the first 3 weekends are best for the studios. They make the most then as the majority of the box office take goes to them. But as the run goes on the balance shifts to the theater's favor. So after about a month and half (45 days) the theater is then making the majority of the take from the box office and not the movie studios. That's why the original theatrical window for everyone was a standard 90 days.

Cutting it down to 45 days looks good from a studio PR angle, it says "hey we're exclusive to theaters for 45 days" but the truth of the matter is you can be sure the theater owners association is pissed about it because the movie really benefits the movie studios more than the theaters with the way the grosses are dished out.
A theater owner told me ones (based in the USA) , they have to have it from candy , drinks and other stuff people buy , hardly from the movies themselves as they are expensive.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
A theater owner told me ones (based in the USA) , they have to have it from candy , drinks and other stuff people buy , hardly from the movies themselves as they are expensive.

That's true at the start, but the reason why theaters keep movies running as long as they do as the studio's take shrinks after the first month and a half.

That's why those second-run cinemas exist. The theater there makes almost 100% off the $1-2 tickets.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And yet shang chi did 95m during a pandemic. Obviously not as bad as you say then is it.
I think you should re-read my posts as you are clearing missing context.

No, when it does happen and it is annoying. If the person is near me I'll politely ask them to turn their phone off or stop talking. If they don't I'll make a complaint.

Food can't be helped, I remember people eating popcorn loudly behind me during A Quiet Place 2. The retarded idiots wouldn't wait until the loud scenes to chew. Still a better first time experience than at home.

Like I said, when you make very regular trips to the cinema it's not often an issue. If you only go 2-3 times a year and don't go opening weekend I can see this seeming like a bigger issue than it is. This is for cinemas in the Philippines and Australia.

Gotcha. I am not the most avid of movie watchers, mostly only go when friends invite me or my brother wants to share his passion for cinema. So maybe once or twice a week I go. Easily 90% of the time these things happen and while I am not too bothered by it personally, I can completely understand and empathize with those who find this infuriating and prefer not to go to theatres.

sinnergy

That's true at the start, but the reason why theaters keep movies running as long as they do as the studio's take shrinks after the first month and a half.

That's why those second-run cinemas exist. The theater there makes almost 100% off the $1-2 tickets.
Ah okay sounds , about right , so Disney is ffing them right in the ass… with the 45 days ..

Disney is nice mmmkay

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Your 85 inch tv is not a theater experience dude.
It's better, I don't have to deal with shitty stinky sweating teens talking on their phones while trying to watch a film, I don't hear crying babies, couples arguing, etc. Better yet I also don't have to deal with shit contrast levels on the film I'm watching or deal with boomy crap surround sound that lacks precision and detail and is just loud to be loud. There is nothing about the cinema experience that is worth preserving.

Last edited:

gatti-man

And IMO 4K/8K QLED/OLED tvs have better picture than those big cinema projectors.

Surround sound systems in cinema's though, those are harder to beat in a home cinema.
Unless you’re rocking a giant high end OLED set then no they don’t. QLED is still LED and LED is not comparable to a high end projector. 55-65” aren’t big enough unless you’re right up on them to be able to see the kind of detail you will in a theater.

It's better, I don't have to deal with shitty stinky sweating teens talking on their phones while trying to watch a film, I don't hear crying babies, couples arguing, etc. Better yet I also don't have to deal with shit contrast levels on the film I'm watching or deal with boomy crap surround sound that lacks precision and detail and is just loud to be loud. There is nothing about the cinema experience that is worth preserving.

Please post your home theater specs so I can have a good laugh. I have a full Dolby atmos set up. Marantz 9.2 receiver SVS pb4000 sub pradigm studio speakers with a 75” LG OLED display and no it’s not as good as a high end theater.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Unless you’re rocking a giant high end OLED set then no they don’t. QLED is still LED and LED is not comparable to a high end projector. 55-65” aren’t big enough unless you’re right up on them to be able to see the kind of detail you will in a theater.
OLED are LEDs too so I think you meant QLEDs are still LCDs. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I have a 85" QLED and 77" OLED at home, the 4K HDR versions of movies on those screens clearly looked better to me than at the cinema. Granted last movie I saw at the cinema was Fury Road so maybe projectors have much improved in the last 6 years.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Not ignorant at all, all the things that people whinge about in here happen maybe 1 in 10 times.
Nah, most of my experience was bad, outside of that one horrible instance i posted. Loud people are the rule, not the exception. I Also detest the sound of people munching popcorn next to me.

The only good experience i ever had was when the cinema was mostly empty.

That's not to mention the horrible image quality and blurry colors the screens have compare to modern panels.

Last edited:

thefool

The original window before COVID was 90 days. Why the hell would they increase it to 9 months?

I was daydreaming. But if you assume that studios can now push films to other platforms and be more selective on what has theatrical runs, it would allow longer runs and subsequently a window increase.

Synless

Nah, I have a big ass tv and a killer surround system with a room big enough to sit several buddies comfortably. Me waiting to see a movie and not have to deal with unclean seats, overpriced commodities, and a bunch of dirty ass people is well worth waiting.

Sorry cinema, your days are numbered and dying.

Little Mac

Gold Member
So I've heard. People talking, shouting, screaming or howling like banshees during the film. That would put me off as well.

In the UK it's totally different. No phones allowed and it's totally silent, which with the huge screen and sound system, makes it a truly immersive experience.

Theres more. Like how the ticket price is usually absurdly high for the quality of the venue. Like how you have to wait thru 30-40 mins of advertisements or trailers you've already seen online to see what you paid for. 2-3 Hour movie with another 30+ mins of ads/trailers without any intermissions for a bathroom break? Concession stand options and prices. Ignorant or belligerent movie goers. I could go on.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Theres more. Like how the ticket price is usually absurdly high for the quality of the venue. Like how you have to wait thru 30-40 mins of advertisements or trailers you've already seen online to see what you paid for. 2-3 Hour movie with another 30+ mins of ads/trailers without any intermissions for a bathroom break? Concession stand options and prices. Ignorant or belligerent movie goers. I could go on.

I get everything else, but an intermission for a toilet break? I couldn't imagine anything worse. That would be hugely immersive breaking.

Pee before the film starts during the ads, or don't drink a liter of Coke during the movie.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I get everything else, but an intermission for a toilet break? I couldn't imagine anything worse. That would be hugely immersive breaking.

Pee before the film starts during the ads, or don't drink a liter of Coke during the movie.
The average person pees 6-8 times a day but up to 10 times is considered normal. How often you pee is determined by several factors such as you’re age and the size of your bladder … neither of which I can change to accommodate how trash tier movie theaters are. We’re still buds though.

gatti-man

OLED are LEDs too so I think you meant QLEDs are still LCDs. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I have a 85" QLED and 77" OLED at home, the 4K HDR versions of movies on those screens clearly looked better to me than at the cinema. Granted last movie I saw at the cinema was Fury Road so maybe projectors have much improved in the last 6 years.
No they aren’t. OLED is emissive and LCD is transmissive. QLED still has many of the problems regular LED/LCD does. If you think 4k HDR is better on QLED than a high end projector from 6 years ago that’s definitely an objective problem for you. I know everything is subjective but objectively QLED is inferior to a high end projector from 6 years ago period.

Fury road isn’t some great metric of film detail. That’s probably your first problem right there.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

No they aren’t. OLED is emissive and LCD is transmissive. QLED still has many of the problems regular LED/LCD does.
Both are light-emitting diodes(LED) is what I was getting at. I know OLEDs are self emissive.
If you think 4k HDR is better on QLED than a high end projector from 6 years ago that’s definitely an objective problem for you. I know everything is subjective but objectively QLED is inferior to a high end projector from 6 years ago period.

Fury road isn’t some great metric of film detail. That’s probably your first problem right there.
I recall the cinema being less sharp and colours being pretty muted compared to what I saw on 4K again. Might be my mind playing tricks(doubt it) on me or that cinema not being so great. I didn't say the QLED was technical superior, only that it looked better to me.

Fury Road wasn't the only movie I saw at the cinema up till then, other movies I'd seen before also had the softer look and less vibrant colours.

Btw, I didn't get a QLED till 2018 to replace my OLED from 2016 with burn-in. Before that I had a some Samsung 1080p LCD TV.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Both are light-emitting diodes(LED) is what I was getting at. I know OLEDs are self emissive.

I recall the cinema being less sharp and colours being pretty muted compared to what I saw on 4K again. Might be my mind playing tricks(doubt it) on me or that cinema not being so great. I didn't say the QLED was technical superior, only that it looked better to me.

Fury Road wasn't the only movie I saw at the cinema up till then, other movies I'd seen before also had the softer look and less vibrant colours.

Btw, I didn't get a QLED till 2018 to replace my OLED from 2016 with burn-in. Before that I had a some Samsung 1080p LCD TV.
He is crazy, Oled is better than pretty much any projector used at a theater, cinema tech is years behind HT tech in this regard.

th4tguy

Every major city I’ve ever been to has Atleast one decent theater. Austin has like 6 used to be more pre covid
Before my last move, I lived about an hour away from a major city. There was only one theater in town and it was 20 min drive away. It was actually newer as before it was built we didn’t have any theater within an hour of us.
About half the time the theater was packed with high schoolers goofing off. Jumping over seats, throwing popcorn, and in general being distracting.
I started going during matinee showings and had to stop doing first day showings to avoid that mess.
Now I’m closer to work and in a major city and actually have like 5 great theaters to choose from but I now have little kids and so it’s just easier for us to stream at home, even if it means waiting a few months.
Cheaper too. Night at the theater was costing us about $150 (includes babysitter), if we DIDNT do dinner.

Hari Seldon

Yeah even if I wanted to go to a movie theater, there is no movie that I would want to see worth the hassle of actually arranging for a babysitter, driving 30 minutes to the one good theater that has nice seats and sells beer, and then sitting through another 30 minutes of commercials before the movie starts. The product is not worth that hassle.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Fuck ... the theater experience blows with or without the pandemic. Guess I'll wait for releases then.
Even a movie streaming in 4K on a 75 inch TV pales in comparison to 'pick your seats ahead of time' heated lounge reclining heated chairs (with a table and drink holder) and watching on a 70 foot screen with Dolby Atmos.

NahaNago

I'm a pretty regular theater goer as well. I do tend to go to the matinee so the theater is mostly empty and clean. I was thrown off with the malignant movie since I had never seen a single trailer before seeing reviews pop up everywhere for the movie.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Even a movie streaming in 4K on a 75 inch TV pales in comparison to 'pick your seats ahead of time' heated lounge reclining heated chairs (with a table and drink holder) and watching on a 70 foot screen with Dolby Atmos.Even a movie streaming in 4K on a 75 inch TV pales in comparison to 'pick your seats ahead of time' heated lounge reclining heated chairs (with a table and drink holder) and watching on a 70 foot screen with Dolby Atmos.
Where the fuck do you live …. Elysium?

Please post your home theater specs so I can have a good laugh. I have a full Dolby atmos set up. Marantz 9.2 receiver SVS pb4000 sub pradigm studio speakers with a 75” LG OLED display and no it’s not as good as a high end theater.
You didn't pay attention to what he said. He also mentioned the contrast levels. My local multiplex has the biggest laser IMAX screen in the country and that auditorium is the only good one in the whole multiplex.

All the other 12 ones have shitty projection with milky blacks (and have for years), lamps on eco mode or simply the projectors are set up for 3D so the brightness is horrendous, and the screen might be a silver screen, which also means ghosting with 2D images, the contrast is horrendous.

So you better believe it. I'm lucky enough to have a HT setup with a JVC projector and a 90 inch plus canvas screen and I'm done going to the movie theater. Laser IMAX quality is very good, but the price is nuts and the sound is always always far too loud, that and COVID and I just have zero desire to return. I do get a superior and preferable experience at home. I also hate watching movies with anyone, so yeah.

This touted, mystical theatrical experience that Hollywood keeps talking about, very few people are having that experience. You can find tons of A list directors talking about some of the nightmares involved in checking out theaters to see if they were showing their films with the right brightness, the right conditions, and very few actually did.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You didn't pay attention to what he said. He also mentioned the contrast levels. My local multiplex has the biggest laser IMAX screen in the country and that auditorium is the only good one in the whole multiplex.

All the other 12 ones have shitty projection with milky blacks (and have for years), lamps on eco mode or simply the projectors are set up for 3D so the brightness is horrendous, and the screen might be a silver screen, which also means ghosting with 2D images, the contrast is horrendous.

So you better believe it. I'm lucky enough to have a HT setup with a JVC projector and a 90 inch plus canvas screen and I'm done going to the movie theater. Laser IMAX quality is very good, but the price is nuts and the sound is always always far too loud, that and COVID and I just have zero desire to return. I do get a superior and preferable experience at home. I also hate watching movies with anyone, so yeah.

This touted, mystical theatrical experience that Hollywood keeps talking about, very few people are having that experience. You can find tons of A list directors talking about some of the nightmares involved in checking out theaters to see if they were showing their films with the right brightness, the right conditions, and very few actually did.

Maybe more people should complain instead of staying silent about it?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
er.. why dont you goto a different theatre? and fuck me do people not speak up in the modern world? Some cunt on the phone, get up and tell him to fuck up, picture out of focus, get up and let management know.. shit aint hard

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm not interested in cinemas anymore unless it's some sort of an artistic showcase, like Blade Runner 2049, Prometheus, Avatar, the upcoming Dune or Matrix and the likes, but everything else, especially something so basic and so shallow like superhero movies, that's a no go for me. I don't like the concept of being tied to specific date and hour when I can watch a movie, not being able to pause it when I need to take a piss, answer as phone, to have some drinks/beer and pizza, surrounded by all those noisy idiots and so on. Honestly, once we reached the point where the TV covers half of your wall, with surround speakers set around the house, the cinemas have become a really questionable experience, especially for the asking price.

Star-Lord

So I've heard. People talking, shouting, screaming or howling like banshees during the film. That would put me off as well.

In the UK it's totally different. No phones allowed and it's totally silent, which with the huge screen and sound system, makes it a truly immersive experience.
I agree with it being silent, but you’re living in a dream world if you think it’s no phones allowed. I’ve seen teenagers and adults alike on their phones during a movie. The cinema don’t give a fuck as long as they make their money.

IDKFA

I agree with it being silent, but you’re living in a dream world if you think it’s no phones allowed. I’ve seen teenagers and adults alike on their phones during a movie. The cinema don’t give a fuck as long as they make their money.

Not living in a dream world at all.

I've only seen one person use their phone in recent memory. A member of staff came to have a word and that was it. This was at a Cineworld while watching Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Never seen, or at least been distracted, by somebody using their phone since then.

Star-Lord

Not living in a dream world at all.

I've only seen one person use their phone in recent memory. A member of staff came to have a word and that was it. This was at a Cineworld while watching Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Never seen, or at least been distracted, by somebody using their phone since then.
I only ever use Vue or Odeon, and both seem to let the public use their phones during screenings. It’s annoying, especially when you’re sat behind a bunch of social media -reliant teenagers. I wish there was a law banning them in cinemas.

IDKFA

I only ever use Vue or Odeon, and both seem to let the public use their phones during screenings. It’s annoying, especially when you’re sat behind a bunch of social media -reliant teenagers. I wish there was a law banning them in cinemas.

Fuck that. I'd complain to the chains involved if they willingly allow people to use their phones.

I don't get it ... How are you lot experiencing all this tripe at theaters? That hasn't been my anecdotal experience at all.
For real. Worst I have to experience is someone bumping my seat or a kid crying randomly and being taken outside.

You'd think these guys go to theaters in Mogadishu or some shit.

So Disney screws over its most well-known female MCU character (and MCU actress), pushed a day-and-date model they knew was gonna hurt her film, and finally change their tune for a no-name male MCU character (and MCU actor) benefiting from the female's situation, but Disney/Marvel giving no care to retroactively do right by ScarJo?

Yeah, screw this company xD. They seemingly want to appear progressive in ways amounting to window dressing, but when they have a chance to be real about it behind-the-scenes it turns out they couldn't care less and are just about money like everyone with common sense has been saying for years. Sign me up a cinema showing when Scorsese's next film hits theaters, he was onto something about Disney & MCU so let me support real cinema with my money instead.

Methos#1975

er.. why dont you goto a different theatre? and fuck me do people not speak up in the modern world? Some cunt on the phone, get up and tell him to fuck up, picture out of focus, get up and let management know.. shit aint hard
That's not a option for most, I have one theater in my area and the next nearest one is like a hour and a half away. Reality is that the cinema experience for most people is shit and will always be shit, hence the boom in HT sales. This vaulted cinema experience many cliam exists simply doesn't for most. Most have crap projectors that give a poor image and poorly calibrated audio that is just loud and boomy and sounds horrible. Add in the human element and it's just really a waste of money.

Last edited:

sol_bad

That's not a option for most, I have one theater in my area and the next nearest one is like a hour and a half away. Reality is that the cinema experience for most people is shit and will always be shit, hence the boom in HT sales. This vaulted cinema experience many cliam exists simply doesn't for most. Most have crap projectors that give a poor image and poorly calibrated audio that is just loud and boomy and sounds horrible. Add in the human element and it's just really a waste of money.

1000 people online saying cinemas are shit does not = majority of people.

Methos#1975

1000 people online saying cinemas are shit does not = majority of people.
Nor does 1000 online saying it isn't. Cinema has been on its death bed for quite some time, long before this pandemic the decline of the cinema was being reported on due to low ticket sales and mass closures of theaters due to lost revenue. The cinema was already experiencing a 15 year decline when the pandemic hit, but few are commenting on that for some reason. One of the most cited reasons for this was bad experiences that were driving consumers to invest in HT and staying home. That and the biggest one time consumer base for the cinema, teens and young adults, just aren't into the cinema experience at all.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Nor does 1000 online saying it isn't. Cinema has been on its death bed for quite some time, long before this pandemic the decline of the cinema was being reported on due to low ticket sales and mass closures of theaters due to lost revenue. The cinema was already experiencing a 15 year decline when the pandemic hit, but few are commenting on that for some reason. One of the most cited reasons for this was bad experiences that were driving consumers to invest in HT and staying home. That and the biggest one time consumer base for the cinema, teens and young adults, just aren't into the cinema experience at all.

Over 5,500 cinemas in America = death bed.

Hmmmm
Okay than.........

ZywyPL

Banned
Over 5,500 cinemas in America = death bed.

Hmmmm
Okay than.........

Number of cinemas does not show how many people go to those cinemas tho. I haven't seen a fully filled theater in years, not even halfway full if I think about it, and the revenue numbers seem to confirm that less and less people are wanting to go to a theater unless is some AAA overhyped blockbuster movie like Avengers or F&F, but if you look beyond those kind of movies, the future doesn't look bright for smaller/more ambitious projects. I think all those subscription-based streaming services will soon have to increase their fees if that's where people want to watch the content and the movies still being profitable. Because increasing ticket prices in cinemas will only make more people move away from them.

Top Bottom