• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digitial Foundry] Resident Evil Village Demo - Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Ray Tracing Analysis + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamaci17

I know it's been discussed a lot, but this is another example of why I do not understand targeting 1440p with Series S. I can't help but wonder how much better performance would be if 1080p was the only target.
series s runs the game at 1280x1440p (1.8m pixels)
native 1080p would take around 2.1m pixels)

so even worse

but if you say it should run 960x1080 (1m pixels), it should perform crazy good. but then you have artifacts and blockiness caused by checkerboarding everywhere, because i've tried that in the demo. checkerboarding clearly does not work good for 1080p

i dont think it works efficient at 1440p as well. it's a method that works best at 4k

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
These DF console wars threads weird me out. I must be getting old but good lord, zoom 400% into screenshots and find the differences... I like good graphics as much as the next guy but this is fucking ridiculous.
In NeoGAF they love their graphics......a little too much.

sircaw

Banned
Are you a dodgy boxing judge by any chance? I've always wondered how it works.
One heavyweight who appears bigger and stronger and says he's the best in the world just edges out is opponent in a 12 round contest. You will give it to the other guy as he's appears a bit less stronger and he didn't promote his pre fight thinking.

So what your saying is, ps5 is Roy Jones Jr.

Good point. :messenger_grinning:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, use external storage? Their is not much to complain about imo.
I just wanna buy a new m.2 drive not an external that I will retire once name becomes available tbh. you are right, nothing too much to complain about just some niggles and annoyances.

Redlight

There is merit to such a comparison. The only differentiator is ability to use discs, otherwise it offers a full next gen entry point. Discs are often said to be more and more redundant each day, especially with things like gamepass gaining traction.

For me however, give me physical or give me death! Ymmv.
Hmmm, so there is merit in the comparison if you leave out one of the key features of the Series X? The very feature that makes the PS5 the exact same price?

Well, that's some very convenient Gaf logic.

If you dump the disc drive you're at the mercy of the full retail price. With Sony's $70 policy that's a very expensive way to save money.

Shmunter

Hmmm, so there is merit in the comparison if you leave out one of the key features of the Series X? The very feature that makes the PS5 the exact same price?

Well, that's some very convenient Gaf logic.

If you dump the disc drive you're at the mercy of the full retail price. With Sony's $70 policy that's a very expensive way to save money.
Well, the choice is there on PS5. Tweet Phill about why he hasn’t given XsX customers a similar choice. He’s the one you should be taking issue with.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Now loading has become more important than frame rate 🤣
Oh know someone needs to go back to the ps4 pro v Xbox 1x and compare those games again where pro had a slight framerate v higher resolution of Xb1x and compare the loading times.

Man whatever you're on right now...

Don't worry. I'm fine. Awesome actually. But seeing....

This here is an example of pure desperation.

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

.....how Xbox fans feel bitterness in every damn face off, because their lovely shiny most powerful console XSX can't do shit against the PS5 in game comparisons is a sight to behold.

XSX is DESTINED to win every face-off because it is stronger, i guess. :/
Xbox fans, what the hell do you want from XSX to be in face offs in game analysis? For PS5 i want to be as closest as possible. And it delivers on all fronts as almost 2TF weaker console, slower bandwidth and what not, sometimes on par, sometimes better. The vast majority of gamers didn't expected that, i didn't. For an almost 2 TF stronger console as XSX people EXPECTED there shouldn't be sometimes better, sometimes on par instead, it should be always better... by a landslide. :/ But that is not happening.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

.....how Xbox fans feel bitterness in every damn face off, because their lovely shiny most powerful console XSX can't do shit against the PS5 in game comparisons is a sight to behold.

Xbox fans, what the hell do you want from XSX to be in face offs in game analysis? For PS5 i want to be as closest as possible. And it delivers on all fronts as almost 2TF weaker console, slower bandwidth and what not, sometimes on par, sometimes better. The vast majority of gamers didn't expected that, i didn't. For an almost 2 TF stronger console as XSX people EXPECTED there shouldn't be sometimes better, sometimes on par instead, it should be always better... by a landslide. :/ But that is not happening.

It's not destined to win every face-off, that's MS just wanted them to believe since MS marketing is typical US marketing "we are better then the world, we are stronger bla bla bla". But in the end it's just a lot of talk and hopes, dreams and a lot of WAITs for them. And they are only too happy to swallow when Microsoft changes their stance by the day.

Sony had the best marketing so far, just show what you have and let the game do the talk instead of a lot of talk, and not showing any shit. You see how xbox fans claw back and hide behind BC and Gamepass and even XCloud, like you want to play behind a pussy little screen. Power now only is important in face-offs, otherwise they are quiet ass hell.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Just man up or woman up and take it. Its only a demo you'll have your day again.

It's not because the grass is not always tied to alpha effects, there are others way to get it and in fact when alpha effects covered the camera (as the vampire in the mansion who attacks you with the bugs) series X drops as ps5. The grainfield area runs better just when raytraycing is applied on series X, otherwise the game is flawless on ps5 too that demonstrates there is nothing relative to alpha effects extremely taxing in the static scene for both hardware if I can say.
No it doesn't. Let's say the effect makes it drop 10 frames. Without RT the drop could be from 85-75. Fps capped at 60 and you won't see the drop. Rt on and fps is now 65 so when the 10 fps drop happens you will notice it as it's now below the 60 fps cap.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It's not destined to win every face-off, that's MS just wanted them to believe since MS marketing is typical US marketing "we are better then the world, we are stronger bla bla bla". But in the end it's just a lot of talk and hopes, dreams and a lot of WAITs for them. And they are only too happy to swallow when Microsoft changes their stance by the day.

Sony had the best marketing so far, just show what you have and let the game do the talk instead of a lot of talk, and not showing any shit. You see how xbox fans claw back and hide behind BC and Gamepass and even XCloud, like you want to play behind a pussy little screen. Power now only is important in face-offs, otherwise they are quiet ass hell.
We believe in genatations and hide cross generation games lol. Yep no shit there at all. Nothing completely dishonest about holding back cross generation versions of games until pre orders of the ps5 go live to get great pr all summer hahaha 😆. Microsoft sucks holding back games with cross generation versions was the theme all summer in the media those real next generation only games like spider man miles lol.

These DF console wars threads weird me out. I must be getting old but good lord, zoom 400% into screenshots and find the differences... I like good graphics as much as the next guy but this is fucking ridiculous.

You're misinterpreting this. They are zooming in so you know what they're talking about and so you can see the particular area of the screen you need to look at. Its not that the graphics are so good that you need 4 times the zoom to see the flaws. The flaws are poking you in your eye. Its just for convenience. If i were to show a running video with footage of some game then all of a sudden start talking how there, under the table in the uper left corner there's a plant which ... you would have no ideea what im talking about, no ? Thats why they freeze the frame and zoom.

sircaw

Banned

I mean the war has changed so much.

First, it was Xbox was going to shit all over ps5, the hardware is so much bigger, ps5 won't get anywhere near its performance, remember all those dealer podcast idiots spouting their venom, the regurgitated rubbish that found its way onto these forums was ridiculous.

Then we had the Fud list, oh boy, that was tragic.

Then we have the dismissal of things like innovation, the controller, the SSD. The only thing that matters is Fps or resolution, all other factors or gaming experience don't matter.

We then have crap like the digital ps5 version does not matter but somehow Game pass with all its only digital content is the best thing since sliced bread.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen, we now have less than 1% is a victory on a game that could change next week with a patch.

Fuck things that matter, like the quality of exclusives, or new experiences in sound and feel.

This is the crap that people are fighting over, minuscule returns which average public joe does not see or feel, sweet Jesus, this is going to be a long generation.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
No it doesn't. Let's say the effect makes it drop 10 frames. Without RT the drop could be from 85-75. Fps capped at 60 and you won't see the drop. Rt on and fps is now 65 so when the 10 fps drop happens you will notice it as it's now below the 60 fps cap.
Do you developed RE8 sir? Your it's an hypothesis as mine, so stop to say I'm wrong because you have a different opinion 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

@ assurdum assurdum For all we know the original targets are accurate. The actual game may be quite a bit heavier than the demos, XSX and PS5 might take a hit in RT mode in some of worst areas. XSS might do the same in non-RT mode, it could very well be that RT mode is the best way to play this title on XSS for non VRR users.

Last edited:
Do you developed RE8 sir? Your it's an hypothesis as mine, so stop to say I'm wrong because you have a different opinion 🤷‍♂️
No. I'm giving you an example of why The data doesn't prove your theory. You said "The grainfield area runs better just when raytraycing is applied on series X, otherwise the game is flawless on ps5 too that demonstrates there is nothing relative to alpha effects extremely taxing in the static scene for both hardware if I can say."
I'm not in anyway saying I'm right. I'm saying the game not dropping below 60 in RT off mode doesn't prove something is not taxing. If you have a fps cap below it's lowest ever fps there is no way to confirm how taxing an effect is.

DaGwaphics

No. I'm giving you an example of why The data doesn't prove your theory. You said "The grainfield area runs better just when raytraycing is applied on series X, otherwise the game is flawless on ps5 too that demonstrates there is nothing relative to alpha effects extremely taxing in the static scene for both hardware if I can say."
I'm not in anyway saying I'm right. I'm saying the game not dropping below 60 in RT off mode doesn't prove something is not taxing. If you have a fps cap below it's lowest ever fps there is no way to confirm how taxing an effect is.

Probably a good amount of overhead considering the performance differential between RT On/Off on the XSS. The fact that PS5/XSX are still so close to 60 even with RT On should indicate that they are many, many frames beyond 60 in the other mode.

skneogaf

If the full game does go down to 45 fps with ray tracing on like capcom are saying then only the xbox series x version is playable and only using a tv that supports vrr.

Non ray tracing is the way to go for ps5 and xbox series S owners.

- framerate with RT is unlocked, targeting 60 fps
- both XXSX and PS5 manage to hit 60 FPS with RT most of the time
- at best Series X delivers 10% more performance during stress-test scenes.

Xbox win.

zVFC91f.jpg
A few months ago we had comparison pics of other games like that except it showed the PS5 having 2-4 frames higher than the series X. Those early comparisons spawned all sorts of myths about the PS5.

Now we're seeing frame rates with this big a gap, and now all the PS fanboys hyping 2-4 frames a couple months ago are now downplaying this.

Welp. So much for being credible. 🤣

What is this bullshit '$100 more' argument you're trying to promote?

I hope you're not trying to compare the Series X to the digital only version of the PS5? That would be disingenuous, desperate, dishonest and dumb, so I'll assume it's a typo.
Are you dense? The digital and disk ps5 are the same spec. You’re getting the ps5 spec at 100 dollars cheaper. The series x is more expensive because guess what it has a better gpu.

now that the Series X is starting to get better versions of games, the goalpost have shifted to “value”. So even though both consoles cost the same they will site the digtial version that isn’t an Apples to Apples match.

Funny that value matters so much now when Gamepass is the best value in gaming so kinda a moot point on that front too.
No goal posts have moved; that’s just your Xbox persecution complex kicking in.

Series x always had the better gpu I don’t think nobody is denying that. That bigger gpu comes with guess what an increase in performance. Doesn’t matter about a disk version of the ps5. To get the full ps5 experience of its spec, it’s cheaper than series x by 100 dollars.

The hilarious fact is the 100 dollar more console with a better gpu is getting these minuscule gains. Where that 40% delta?

Interesting you mention goal posts though. Since the tower of power has failed to blow us away with all those teraflops; you Xbox die Hard’s have shifted the goal posts to how gamepass is the best deal in gaming. Just like you are right now.

Are you dense? The digital and disk ps5 are the same spec. You’re getting the ps5 spec at 100 dollars cheaper. The series x is more expensive because guess what it has a better gpu.

Series x always had the better gpu I don’t think nobody is denying that. That bigger gpu comes with guess what an increase in performance. Doesn’t matter about a disk version of the ps5. To get the full ps5 experience of its spec, it’s cheaper than series x by 100 dollars.

The hilarious fact is the 100 dollar more console with a better gpu is getting these minuscule gains. Where that 40% delta?

Interesting you mention goal posts though. Since the tower of power has failed to blow us away with all those teraflops; you Xbox die Hard’s have shifted the goal posts to how gamepass is the best deal in gaming. Just like you are right now.
Only morons thought there would be a 40% Delta and constantly quoting them isn't a good look.
Also you can't compare the de can't play disk games. Not so long ago physical game sharing pretty much solidified PS4 winning the generation. Now physical isn't relevant?

Only morons thought there would be a 40% Delta and constantly quoting them isn't a good look.
Also you can't compare the de can't play disk games. Not so long ago physical game sharing pretty much solidified PS4 winning the generation. Now physical isn't relevant?

Another one! (Who can’t read).

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

this is so sad

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member

Not happening *yet*, lol

MonarchJT

Banned
they will continue to move the goalpost, if the game will perform better is not okay because the difference are not relevant so ps5 won baby !!...but those who say it are the same ones who shouted "the consoles will have similar performances" months ago "the advantage of 2tf is not huge" because they didn't liked the specs on paper of their beloved console. If ps5 wins for just 0.01 is "another one baby" .... it's cerny magic!! .... if a game comes out on day One for free on gamepass .. they want own the thing so you can resell the games! but depend on the topic the best console is the ps5 without a disc. in short, the usual climbing on mirrors. Just do a thing ...as i started doing ..block the usual ones .... you will live better

Last edited:
they will continue to move the goalpost, if the game will perform better is not okay because the difference are too little ...but those who say it are the same ones who shouted "the consoles will have similar performances months ago the advantage of 2tf is not huge". If ps5 wins for just 0.01 is "another one baby" .... cerny magic!! .... if a game comes out on day One for free on gamepass .. they want own the thing so you can resell the games! but depend on the topic the best console is the ps5 without a disc. in short, the usual climbing on mirrors. Just do a thing ...as i started doing ..block the usual ones .... you will live better
"If one cannot win an argument, change the subject!" Or goalposts for that matter. No one can beat em at that, you gotta admit.

Last edited:
this is so sad

Of course you’d say that. Can’t argue a point so say that. you’re up there with monarch as one of the sites major Xbox trolls.. spout about game pass I’m every thread more mate.

"If one cannot win an argument, change the subject!" Or goalposts for that matter. No one can beat em at that, you gotta admit.

what goals posts were changed? I see the clowns who shouted about 12 tf power now saying ‘nobody really believed that it was just ajoke’ after it turns out the monster hasn’t destroyed the ps5 they mocked for a year.

Actually it’s you clowns pretending that didn’t happen for a year who’s changed the goal posts. Just like bringing up game pass discussing hardware performance like they muppet did.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Of course you’d say that. Can’t argue a point so say that. you’re up there with monarch as one of the sites major Xbox trolls.. spout about game pass I’m every thread more mate.
There is no point to argue, the digital Ps5 is not the Series X equal. You can not play disc games or watch Blu-ray’s. It’s the budget option.

It Not even funny, it’s just sad at this point. Your system took an L, get over it.

There is merit to such a comparison. The only differentiator is ability to use discs, otherwise it offers a full next gen entry point. Discs are often said to be more and more redundant each day, especially with things like gamepass gaining traction.

For me however, give me physical or give me death! Ymmv.
If Microsoft would make an all digital series x for $100 less I'd be all over that with no hesitation whatsoever. I'd prefer to be able to watch 4k blurays but I already have a player for those.

Shmunter

There is no point to argue, the digital Ps5 is not the Series X equal. You can not play disc games or watch Blu-ray’s. It’s the budget option.

It Not even funny, it’s just sad at this point. Your system took an L, get over it.
Probably why it’s $100 less

DaGwaphics

The bigger issue with the DE is it simply isn't being made available at the same rate. If 80-85% of inventory is $500, the price for the item is $500. When everything settles down and Sony is willing to produce the DE in equal numbers to the PS5 and both are in stores whenever you want them, that is a real choice. If that starts to hurt the XSX bad enough you might see a XSX AD get thrown out there. That sku doesn't make a difference to developers, so it's not like an AD model needed to exist from the beginning.

what goals posts were changed? I see the clowns who shouted about 12 tf power now saying ‘nobody really believed that it was just ajoke’ after it turns out the monster hasn’t destroyed the ps5 they mocked for a year.

Actually it’s you clowns pretending that didn’t happen for a year who’s changed the goal posts. Just like bringing up game pass discussing hardware performance like they muppet did.

First of all I never voted for either console. I'm a PC guy, which should be obvious as hell by now. I just find it funny how desperately you console warriors need to solidify a win, by any means necessary. First it was ssd, then high clocks, less cu's are better than wider larger gpu, gamepass sucks, mesh shaders/ Geometry Engine are gonna be king, rdna 3.0, UE5 not possible on PC/Xbox, magical cerny sauce, crossplay is bad, etc. You guys can never be satisfied.

Now the narrative shifts to, "well even though XSX performed better on all instances, I feel that ps5 still won *makes up unjustified justification out of thy asshole* "

Again, I haven't owned a console since ps360 days, but it's just funny to see the same behavior continue throughout the generations.

Back on topic: From the reviews of re village, i might just wait for it to go on sale. Seems like RE7 has more of a thrill/scares. Game looks beautiful indoors, but outdoors leaves a bit to be yearned for.

Last edited:

Caio

For a console with a 2 tflop advantage I would say the series X is underperforming...

y4UzEWz.png

I believe we will have games where PS5 is performing better, and games where XSX is performing better, it depends on several factors, and the specs above speak for themselves. Can you see a clear winner ? Honestly, this appears to be the generation where the main competitors(Home Console) are the closest thing we have ever seen in terms of performance in real gaming applications, and both hardware will only shine in their respective first party exclusive games, and I cannot wait, Ratchet and Clank first in line ;)

As I say in all these DF threads.... The best platform to get the game on is the one you have. Put the console warring aside and enjoy the game.
I mean the war has changed so much.

First, it was Xbox was going to shit all over ps5, the hardware is so much bigger, ps5 won't get anywhere near its performance, remember all those dealer podcast idiots spouting their venom, the regurgitated rubbish that found its way onto these forums was ridiculous.

Then we had the Fud list, oh boy, that was tragic.

Then we have the dismissal of things like innovation, the controller, the SSD. The only thing that matters is Fps or resolution, all other factors or gaming experience don't matter.

We then have crap like the digital ps5 version does not matter but somehow Game pass with all its only digital content is the best thing since sliced bread.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen, we now have less than 1% is a victory on a game that could change next week with a patch.

Fuck things that matter, like the quality of exclusives, or new experiences in sound and feel.

This is the crap that people are fighting over, minuscule returns which average public joe does not see or feel, sweet Jesus, this is going to be a long generation.

Arnt you doing the doing the exact same thing though.... With the paragraphs you've written just before it

"At best though, Series X delivers 10 per cent more performance in stress-test scenes, but I did note one scene where both consoles dip from 60fps to exactly the same extent."

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/digit...box-series-consoles?__twitter_impression=true

Vgtech analysis is more realistic to read, because you can see the frame count in whole gameplay.

Unless those stress-test scenes are pre-canned cutscenes, comparing individual gameplay scenes is misleading because you'll never have the exact same player, NPC and physics activity going on between the two systems.

Taking an average of gameplay over v. long stretches is more meaningful.

sircaw

Banned
As I say in all these DF threads.... The best platform to get the game on is the one you have. Put the console warring aside and enjoy the game.

Arnt you doing the doing the exact same thing though.... With the paragraphs you've written just before it
Nope, i am not, If you can not see the difference between, minuscule performance gains of less than 1% on a console that changes weekly and having tangible effects that you can see and experience in hand, I don't know what to say.

Last edited:
Nope, i am not, If you can not see the difference between, minuscule performance games of less than 1% on a console that changes weekly and having tangible effects that you can see and experience in hand, I don't know what to say.
Let's be honest.... Literally every platform where PS5 has had an extra frame Gaf has been posting that stupid Anotherone.gif

Heck we even had ps fans posting that gif even when the digital foundry found the XSX to be better.

I personally cannot see much difference and if people are bragging that their piece of plastic has 1fps more or an extra shadow they need to get a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom