• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digitial Foundry] Resident Evil Village Demo - Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Ray Tracing Analysis + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NullZ3r0

Banned

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As we can see clearly from the extra eyelash alphas on the xbox that it obviously has a clean benefit with the extra gpu horsepower. This extra 2 tf of power negates the rumours of alpha issues and the pure grunt allows it to blaze the ps5 with better quality character models! So glad I purchased this on the xbox. I thought the clear advantage would be the VRR but seeing those eyelashes in action when zoomed in has proven how much better the game is on xbox.

The tools are shaping up and we are getting to see the fruits of their labour.

Simply...

...Another one!

Topher

Gold Member
Capcom's staggered roll-out of Resident Evil demo code reached its conclusion last weekend as the Village and Castle gameplay segments previously available on PlayStation consoles rolled out to Xbox gamers. The results are pretty much in line with expectations based on prior experience with the RE Engine, but we do get our first look at how the technology's ray tracing performance scales onto Xbox Series S, having been left out of Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition.

So, having got the measure of the demo code from prior experience on PlayStation 5, how does Xbox Series X measure up? Perhaps inevitably, the results are very much in line with our findings on Devil May Cry 5 SE: despite having mentioned an expected frame-rate of 45fps at 4K resolution with ray tracing enabled (based on Capcom's spec sheet), both Series X and PlayStation 5 actually run with an unlocked level of performance and for the most part, actually run at 60 frames per second. Both versions use Capcom's image reconstruction tech to improve performance over native resolution rendering, and both consoles look nigh-on identical to one another.

The only tangible difference comes from performance: Series X has a more dogged grip on its target 60fps, with slightly less consistent throughput from PlayStation 5. At best though, Series X delivers 10 per cent more performance in stress-test scenes, but I did note one scene where both consoles dip from 60fps to exactly the same extent. Again, similar to DMC5 SE, Resident Evil Village's RT delivers low resolution reflections in combination with a lighting pass that replaces the non-RT version's screen-space ambient occlusion. There is a difference, but perhaps not a game-changing one. You can comfortably play the game without RT and still get a terrific-looking experience and in these scenarios, both Series X and PlayStation 5 are both locked at 4K60 in both demo areas.

So how does Series S fit in? Yes, there is an RT option and no, we don't recommend that you use it, as the hit to performance can be extraordinary. Where Series X runs just under 60fps, Series S lurks in the mid-30s and general consistency in performance is really poor. Image quality is quite impressive, however: where Series X renders at reconstructed 4K, Series S does it at a reconstructed 1440p instead - albeit with that big, big performance deficit. Thankfully there is a route forward for Series S owners. Turn off the ray tracing features and Resident Evil Village returns to the expected 60fps, with just the most minor of dips beneath - and even then, only fleetingly.

Capcom's spec sheet had flagged the Series S non-RT experience as running at 1440p with an expected frame-rate of 45fps, so it will be very interesting to see how the experience from this demo translates into the final game and to what extent these demos are representative of the full game. The trailer bundled with the demo certainly does seem to suggest much more of a varied, dynamic experience than either of the two demos, which are actually pretty basic in content terms. We'll have answers on that soon, along with a detailed look at the PC game as well.

How is Resident Evil Village shaping up on Xbox Series consoles? • Eurogamer.net

As we can see clearly from the extra eyelash alphas on the xbox that it obviously has a clean benefit with the extra gpu horsepower. This extra 2 tf of power negates the rumours of alpha issues and the pure grunt allows it to blaze the ps5 with better quality character models! So glad I purchased this on the xbox. I thought the clear advantage would be the VRR but seeing those eyelashes in action when zoomed in has proven how much better the game is on xbox.

Simply...

...Another one!

Riky used on fire for this. He clearly can’t tell you’re being sarcastic. Then again it’s riky.

100 dollars more and beefier gpu bringing you next gen eyelashes.

Last edited:

Kangx

Here I quote below from the article, so people stop running around with the 10 percent. even Era and tweeter is running with this misinformantion.

"At best though, Series X delivers 10 per cent more performance in stress-test scenes, but I did note one scene where both consoles dip from 60fps to exactly the same extent."

assurdum

Banned

Simply...

...Another one!
Out of my curiosity what raytracing performance advantage has to do to the supposed alpha bottlenecks of series X?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Out of my curiosity what raytracing performance advantage has to do to the supposed alpha bottlenecks of series X?
I think he's being sarcastic with that post.

What bottlenecks?
Some games that had alpha effects appearing on screen dipped lower than they probably should, no idea if it's a bottleneck or something that can be easily fixed in a patch though.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Here I quote below from the article, so people stop running around with the 10 percent. even Era and tweeter is running with this misinformantion.

"At best though, Series X delivers 10 per cent more performance in stress-test scenes, but I did note one scene where both consoles dip from 60fps to exactly the same extent."
Both are over 99% of time at locked 60fps.
The few stances it droped differences reached at max 10% and the min the same.

ethomaz

Banned
I heard there was supposed to be some kind of "parity" between the two.. so even if one console was able to run it better, they wouldn't let it?
Actually the “parity” doc says otherwise.
You need to maximize the platform but if other platform can do more you are free to do it.

Kangx

This is expected like what I predicted and said in other thread. The x have advantage in this game because it is using the same engine as DMC. As I stated, they will continue to trade blow. For the most recent games tested. Crash, Tony hawk and immortal favor the ps5. Outriders and now RE favor the x.

Leyasu

Banned
Some games that had alpha effects appearing on screen dipped lower than they probably should, no idea if it's a bottleneck or something that can be easily fixed in a patch though.
Dev kits are far and wide now. It would be easy for a dev to anonymously drop some info about bottlenecks if they existed.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh.. well that' best case scenario then
Yeap.
It just you can’t do something on the other platform that PS can but the dev choose not implement.

A good example is HDR on Xbox version and not on PS5... the contract doesn’t allow that because PS5 supports HDR too.

But if it something outside the PS5 limitations you can do in others platforms.

Last edited:

Loxus

Simply...

...Another one!
I can't tell if your serious or not, but if that 2 extra tf translate to slightly, (I mean you can't even tell) better eyelashes and less that 1% average frame rate.
I'm sorry to say, that's an L for the XBSX.

And we should be seeing at least a 15% frame rate advantage for the XBSX to be claiming the "another one gif", or it just make you guys look dumb claiming a 40% advantage all gen.

NickFire

So how does Series S fit in? Yes, there is an RT option and no, we don't recommend that you use it, as the hit to performance can be extraordinary. Where Series X runs just under 60fps, Series S lurks in the mid-30s and general consistency in performance is really poor. Image quality is quite impressive, however: where Series X renders at reconstructed 4K, Series S does it at a reconstructed 1440p instead - albeit with that big, big performance deficit. Thankfully there is a route forward for Series S owners. Turn off the ray tracing features and Resident Evil Village returns to the expected 60fps, with just the most minor of dips beneath - and even then, only fleetingly.

Capcom's spec sheet had flagged the Series S non-RT experience as running at 1440p with an expected frame-rate of 45fps, so it will be very interesting to see how the experience from this demo translates into the final game and to what extent these demos are representative of the full game. The trailer bundled with the demo certainly does seem to suggest much more of a varied, dynamic experience than either of the two demos, which are actually pretty basic in content terms. We'll have answers on that soon, along with a detailed look at the PC game as well.

How is Resident Evil Village shaping up on Xbox Series consoles? • Eurogamer.net
I know it's been discussed a lot, but this is another example of why I do not understand targeting 1440p with Series S. I can't help but wonder how much better performance would be if 1080p was the only target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom