• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Trends: While the PlayStation 5 had immediate appeal, the Xbox Series X feels more and more like the best long-term choice this generation.

Woman7

Banned
Fuck the internet in 2021

snimekobrazovky2021-0t1jn6.png

Here you go:

"Xbox Series X might not be the hot commodity as the perpetually sold-out PS5 is right now, but those scrambling to get Sony’s new console might want to consider jumping to Xbox. It doesn’t have the DualSense’s immediate toy factor, but it’s quickly making up for that with a long-term strategy that’s paying off more over time. If these consoles are going to be the focal point of our lives for the next decade, the Series X feels like the one that’s most prepared to keep up with the times."

x@3f*oo_e!

:messenger_tears_of_joy: VALUE :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's how you know this was purchased. The buzzword got in. I'm not reading that shit, but does it say "pro-consumer" somewhere in it as well?
Gotta say I agree on this one - reads like an advertorial.

Also talks about Xbox being a "more social experience" which has been a red flag for MS astoturfers since way back.. Ticked that box for the paycheck.

That may sound extremely minor, and perhaps that’s true, but little details like that make the Series X feel more connected to different aspects of my gaming life. By comparison, the PS5 is an entirely solitary experience. Maybe that’s just because few of my friends have been able to find one yet, but there’s a weird loneliness to the system. It feels custom-built for individual experience and Sony’s emphasis on big single-player games certainly drives that home. The Series X is a far more social experience.
I hate being this cynical

x@3f*oo_e!

Cool, I know that with Firefox this is easily circumvented, but I have some issues with it on Big Sur. Normally I use that, but not on laptop for comfy late night browsing.
That specific site didn't detect adblock on opera .. just saying

Krisprolls

Banned
The XSX will eventually have superior cross platform games BUT Microsoft will never have Sony's big tent pole exclusives (and vice versa, see: Halo).

That's why I bought both.

No they won't either lol. Games run a bit better on PS5 due to better hardware optimizations, it's unlikely to change.

It's true Sony has far superior exclusives though, on that everybody agrees.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I've bought into the Xbox eco system so even though PlayStation is actually a more suitable system with the third person single player experiences I prefer, I will still play more on Xbox yet another generation.

Krisprolls

Banned
DigitalTrends is right. When I purchase a Microsoft game I can play it on PC and Xbox consoles via Play Anywhere, unlike other competitor consoles.

Yes, you can play all the shitty 60-rated MS games like Crackdown 3 or Bright Memory on your PC, but most people prefer Sony 90-rated games like God of War, go figure. It's almost like people prefer playing better games.

Krisprolls

Banned
Once again - Spiderman is an open-world, side-missions, collectibles-fetch simulator. Plus you need to like comicbook characters. Demon Souls is a remake of a 10-year old game, the exact definition of 'new coat of paint' I mentioned. If you like that great- you will have great time with Playstation. I simply said it's not for me.

It's not at all a coat of paint, Demon's Souls was remade from scratch and it's the most next gen game there is right now, something Series X can only dream of.

pasterpl

... aren't on the same level as Sony 1st party, I know, that's the problem.

agree, I spent so much more time playing forza horizon and I keep coming back to it and struggled to force myself to complete most of Sony 1st party games (uncharted 4 and gow are the only ones that kept me playing for longer than 30 minutes) but they all feel so similar that if I want any other experience I have to turn off my PS4.

Btw. even sea of thieves with low metacritic is killing it now across pc and Xbox

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
agree, I spent so much more time playing forza horizon and I keep coming back to it and struggled to force myself to complete most of Sony 1st party games (uncharted 4 and gow are the only ones that kept me playing for longer than 30 minutes) but they all feel so similar that if I want any other experience I have to turn off my PS4.

Sales, awards and ratings say most people agree with me and you're the minority though.

Otherwise Xbox wouldn't be so far behind in last place since like for ever. My 2 cents.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes, you can play all the shitty 60-rated MS games like Crackdown 3 or Bright Memory on your PC, but most people prefer Sony 90-rated games like God of War, go figure. It's almost like people prefer playing better games.
Silly game to play.

All of the below Xbox One games got a higher Metacritic score than Ghost of Tsushima (83). Yes, list wars are fun.

Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War 5, Rare Replay, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, Killer Instinct Definitive Edition.

I’ve not even included earlier games in the franchises listed above like Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 6.

There’s also some very good games that just fell shy of an 83 rating like Gears Tactics, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Halo Wars Definitive Edition and Halo Wars 2.

Death Stranding only got an 82. Gran Turismo Sport a 75. Knack GOTY Edition 54 and Knack 2 69 (giggitty). Killzone SF a 73. DriveClub a 71. Dayz Gone 71. We can all list the misses.

The truth is, Sony had about 5 monster tent pole games this gen; Uncharted 4, TLoU 2, Spider-Man, Horizon and God of War. Bloodborne the best of the lot, but let’s be fair, it’s a Miyazaki developed From game. And the rest was okay. Dreams is extraordinarily critically reviewed but how many people even know about it, never mind play it?

What upsets me, is that the PS3 had a much better variety of genres and they were still pumping out high quality narrative driven games like Uncharted 1-3 and TLoU. Moving forward I can only see Microsoft having a massive variety of game genres which is what I used to associate with Sony.

Krisprolls

Banned
Silly game to play.

All of the below Xbox One games got a higher Metacritic score than Ghost of Tsushima (83). Yes, list wars are fun.

Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War 5, Rare Replay, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, Killer Instinct Definitive Edition.

I’ve not even included earlier games in the franchises listed above like Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 6.

There’s also some very good games that just fell shy of an 83 rating like Gears Tactics, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Halo Wars Definitive Edition and Halo Wars 2.

Death Stranding only got an 82. Gran Turismo Sport a 75. Knack GOTY Edition 54 and Knack 2 69 (giggitty). Killzone SF a 73. DriveClub a 71. Dayz Gone 71. We can all list the misses.

The truth is, Sony had about 5 monster tent pole games this gen; Uncharted 4, TLoU 2, Spider-Man, Horizon and God of War. Bloodborne the best of the lot, but let’s be fair, it’s a Miyazaki developed From game. And the rest was okay. Dreams is extraordinarily critically reviewed but how many people even know about it, never mind play it?

What upsets me, is that the PS3 had a much better variety of genres and they were still pumping out high quality narrative driven games like Uncharted 1-3 and TLoU. Moving forward I can only see Microsoft having a massive variety of game genres which is what I used to associate with Sony.

I won't play list wars with you, everybody knows PS4 had better games, including multiple games of the year like God of War, The Last of Us 2, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Bloodborne... All those games were 90+. I don't know why you'd take Ghost of Tsushima as a reference unless you try to distort reality.

It's not close at all... But hey MS has Forza and Halo. The same series since original Xbox.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I won't play list wars with you, everybody knows PS4 had better games, including multiple games of the year like God of War, The Last of Us 2, Uncharted 4, Persona 5... All those games were 90+.

It's not close at all...
Ori and Flight Sim are 2 games from this year alone that have a 90+ metacritic. As I said in my post, 5 tent pole games.

As to your edit, Ghost is the reference because it’s the latest Sony exclusive and many people are putting it in their GOTY lists.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that comes to personal preference.
Well sure, that’s a truism.

The point is, GamePass’s game selection is finite and limited. The service doesn’t include every released third party indie and AAA game. So any assessment of the service’s value will be fundamentally predicated first and foremost on the perceived value of the current service’s game selection.

If you only listen to posters on the forums and articles like the OP, you’d think the fact that it’s cheap is the be all and end all of the value equation. The fact is, there’s much more to it than the simple monetary cost of the monthly subscription.

Krisprolls

Banned
Ori and Flight Sim are 2 games from this year alone that have a 90+ metacritic. As I said in my post, 5 tent pole games.

Flight Sim is a simulator, not even a game, it's not even playable on Xbox, you need a keyboard... Ori is ok as a platformer.

But that certainly doesn't make up for the tons of superior AAA games we got on PS4.

If people thought like you and not like me, sales wouldn't go 3:1 worldwide to Sony... Just saying.

thelastword

Banned
I have both systems. I play XSX more since December with Call of the Sea and Hivebusters. With the Medium coming out this month, that trend will continue. PS5 only has Returnal coming out in March, and no solid release dates for anything else. XSX will get stronger with time, as the studio acquistions start pushing out games on what has potential be, more capable hardware. At the end of the day, this doesnt mean PS5 is inferior, PS5 will continue to be an amazing system but not as dominant over XSX as it was initially led to believe.
Liking XBOX more is fine, however the reasons given does not resonate well with long term success for XBOX. We cannot obsfucate reality. Long-Term and XBOX are basically antonymous going by history....OG XBOX severed in 4 years, 360 was done in late 2009 as far as exclusives, Series X was severed in under 2 years......So long term has not been good for them and usually the fruit runs dry way before the expiry date.

Gamepass did not make XBOX ONE a more long term or appealing console, if anything it diminishes the appeal of the console because everyone can pay $1 and play a much superior version of each MS exclusive on PC, besides the quality of XBOX first party has been severely lacking. The long term appeal to keep purchasing the system is just not there with it's current push for gamepass, the exclusives are severely diminished in value just by being on gamepass.....

Never forget, consoles were made by these manufacturers to be successful, they publish games to sell millions of copies. MS's current gamepass bandwagon is not sustainable, people usually pay a higher price for what they prefer and what they deem a higher quality product...I am subscribed to gamepass and Ill be honest, I have not checked what's new on there since Gears 5. I should probably try Hivebusters to see what all the fuss is about...,but trying something mostly because it's cheap is so different than paying $60 for a high quality goty caliber game you've been waiting for......
"Power Your Hate"

Sony is irrelevant and always has been.

Xbox just never had the full backing of Microsoft from Nadella but Phil changed all that.

Sony could not go into a bidding war with Microsoft to get Bethesda. Like Phil said, they are not our competition. Microsoft started last gen with like 8 studios and now look at how they ended the gen. Xbox generating more revenue in history, 23 studios, Game Pass Digital Gaming Service and X Cloud Streaming. Xbox is now the largest gaming company in the world. Microsoft killed it last gen and still have not really gotten serious yet, alot more is coming. Sony did good too, they sold PS4s. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is what real power looks like. :messenger_ok:

r3Mzz6t.jpg
What's their output? What are the Meta's....What quality games have they put out so far this gen....This is how a band of Studios' should be judged....Out of all these studios, what launch game from them has made the XBOX Series X look mighty powerful with it's 12TF, what game has made people rush to buy an XBOX?

I won't play list wars with you, everybody knows PS4 had better games, including multiple games of the year like God of War, The Last of Us 2, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Bloodborne... All those games were 90+. I don't know why you'd take Ghost of Tsushima as a reference unless you try to distort reality.

It's not close at all... But hey MS has Forza and Halo. The same series since original Xbox.

Gt ps1 before xbox, God of war ps2 so going back as there have been xboxs, what's your point.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Flight Sim is a simulator, not even a game, it's not even playable on Xbox, you need a keyboard... Ori is ok as a platformer.

But that certainly doesn't make up for the tons of superior AAA games we got on PS4.

If people thought like you and not like me, sales wouldn't go 3:1 worldwide to Sony... Just saying.
Sony have sold 150million PS4s? Wow, impressive stuff.

Have you even played either Ori game?

You don’t know what you’re talking about, you can play Flight Simulator using a controller on PC and it works very well, which many reviewers spoke about in their reviews.

flight SIM is coming to series consoles, no keyboard needed, ori is just ok? Ye t if it was on PlayStation it would be AAA....agenda much

Gudji

Don't bother with delusional people. PS4 has one of the best libraries ever, the rest is fanboy talk.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Liking XBOX more is fine, however the reasons given does not resonate well with long term success for XBOX. We cannot obsfucate reality. Long-Term and XBOX are basically antonymous going by history....OG XBOX severed in 4 years, 360 was done in late 2009 as far as exclusives, Series X was severed in under 2 years......So long term has not been good for them and usually the fruit runs dry way before the expiry date.

Gamepass did not make XBOX ONE a more long term or appealing console, if anything it diminishes the appeal of the console because everyone can pay $1 and play a much superior version of each MS exclusive on PC, besides the quality of XBOX first party has been severely lacking. The long term appeal to keep purchasing the system is just not there with it's current push for gamepass, the exclusives are severely diminished in value just by being on gamepass.....

Never forget, consoles were made by these manufacturers to be successful, they publish games to sell millions of copies. MS's current gamepass bandwagon is not sustainable, people usually pay a higher price for what they prefer and what they deem a higher quality product...I am subscribed to gamepass and Ill be honest, I have not checked what's new on there since Gears 5. I should probably try Hivebusters to see what all the fuss is about...,but trying something mostly because it's cheap is so different than paying $60 for a high quality goty caliber game you've been waiting for......

What's their output? What are the Meta's....What quality games have they put out so far this gen....This is how a band of Studios' should be judged....Out of all these studios, what launch game from them has made the XBOX Series X look mighty powerful with it's 12TF, what game has made people rush to buy an XBOX?

Indeed. If they for example launched XboxSX with Banjo Kazooie 3 and Halo 6, both being excellent, things would look drastically different right now. But for some reason MS can't make it happen.

Leo9

I'm sure you don't want to play list wars. This generation is going to be a lot different as Microsoft is investing heavily into content (games) because of Gamepass.
I'm willing to bet that games like Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, Starfield, Horizon 5, TES6, etc, won't score in the 60s and that microsoft will publish plenty of games in the 80s and 90s.

Krisprolls

Banned
Sony have sold 150million PS4s? Wow, impressive stuff.

Have you even played either Ori game?

You don’t know what you’re talking about, you can play Flight Simulator using a controller on PC and it works very well, which many reviewers spoke about in their reviews.

Nah, I got it on PC, you can't fly an airbus just with a controller, that's dumb. There are like a thousand buttons. Lol

This is a simulator, not a game, and it's made for keyboards...

HeresJohnny

Long term lol.
We’ll probably get a pro version 3 years from now when the exclusives that are being hyped now are finally released.
That’s what I’m kinda banking on. If it’s gonna take them a year or eighteen months to get both systems with healthy support, then why not wait an adddition year to buy the inevitable Pro versions when they come? And even if the Pro versions don’t come you’re certain to see a price drop in that timeframe, maybe two if one of them gets desperate.

Krisprolls

Banned
I used the PS5 a fuck ton when I got it but now that the novelty worse off its collecting dust. I get much more mileage out of the Series S because of GP and the games I never got around to play.

I didn't use the Series X at all when I didn't get it because it had zero exclusive, but now that the novelty wore off it's collecting dust in the store. I get much more mileage out of the PS5 because of PS+ collection and the games I never got around to play.

Plus it has real next gen games like Demon's Souls or Miles Morales

Last edited:

sinnergy

I didn't use the Series X at all when I didn't get it because it had zero exclusive, but now that the novelty wore off it's collecting dust in the store. I get much more mileage out of the PS5 because of PS+ collection and the games I never got around to play.
I know , right , maybe different strokes for different people .. just a guess.

SkylineRKR

I know , right , maybe different strokes for different people .. just a guess.

Well I'm a Playstation guy but someones apparently butthurt for liking GP. The Series S is my first Xbox since 2007, when I sold my 360. Which means I missed out on a ton of Halo's, Forza, Gears games as well as KI, Sea of thieves, NG2 etc. GP is simply a great deal.

For PS5 Plus Collection, I only didn't play Days Gone. I think a lot of gamers who had a PS4 for 7 years have played all of them. I bought DMCV and Demon's for it, finished both. Alongside Astrobot. No plans to buy another game until Rift Apart or Kena is out. For Series S I just don't buy shit (well, bought Yakuza at launch tbh, since its a better version than Pro), and yet its getting lots of play time. Some friends have GP on PC and we play Sea of Thieves together. Its really good value. I think no one can deny that.

I don't like paying full whack for a game I play for like a week anymore. I stopped doing this with movies about 10 years ago, and I don't mind if games follow suit.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Lmao steam all the way sir.

And here is the other problem with MS strategy : on PC it won't be easy to make people pay for Game Pass, even if it stays 10 dollars per month, because there are tons of cheap alternatives like Steam or Epic Store or Humble Bundles.

You get tons of great games nearly for free on PC. I don't think even a 10 dollars Game Pass subscription is good value on PC. You get tons of great games on PC for 120 dollars per year. Games you can choose and keep for ever, and play when you want. Unlike on GP.

But if they don't get that many PC subscribers, it means they rely mostly on Xbox installed base, which isn't much. I don't think Game Pass may ever be deemed profitable enough by MS if it doesn't catch a great number of PC players.

Basically GP will fail and ultimately close shop if they don't catch PC gamers, and I'm not sure they'll succeed on that market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom