• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Trends: While the PlayStation 5 had immediate appeal, the Xbox Series X feels more and more like the best long-term choice this generation.

MS is running the marathon again?

I'm not buying a game system made by a second tier publisher on promises of great games... We will see what they deliver first (not what they announce)....sony has a long track record of doing the games I want .
I mean is'nt that all MS does? I swear that's been Phil's whole thing.

Promises of big things. Every year 'is the biggest year for xbox" for this guy. Yeah, I guess that's true for the year I wondered if the xbox had any exclusives. The year that the key title that showed off your new system was DLC for an old game.

"oh we are in Japan and big things will come from Japanese support!"

Year old Yakuza games any PlayStation fan already played coming to gamepass. Oh boy.

Even the Bethesda buyout will take time to pay off. Their big games I can see not being ready until this gen is half over.

I swear the One X was the most pointless system upgrade. Most powerful console ever is pointless if there's hardly and real games that make use of it.

"Power Your Hate"

Sony is irrelevant and always has been.

Xbox just never had the full backing of Microsoft from Nadella but Phil changed all that.

Sony could not go into a bidding war with Microsoft to get Bethesda. Like Phil said, they are not our competition. Microsoft started last gen with like 8 studios and now look at how they ended the gen. Xbox generating more revenue in history, 23 studios, Game Pass Digital Gaming Service and X Cloud Streaming. Xbox is now the largest gaming company in the world. Microsoft killed it last gen and still have not really gotten serious yet, alot more is coming. Sony did good too, they sold PS4s. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is what real power looks like. :messenger_ok:

r3Mzz6t.jpg

343 can't even put out a good compilation without fucking that up. Their Halo titles have been underbaked as fuck, showing a clear misunderstanding of Halo. Instead pushing it more into a niche series that only the hardcore care about.

Ninja Theory is a garbage pretentious developer that literally has never made a good game, despite tons of resources thrown thier way. Thier first MS published game was something that any idiot who follows games knew would bomb. Who wanted Iron Phoenix 2? No one.

Undead Labs had so much promise, but instead shitted out a sequel to thier promising game. Not at all the Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 jump, instead it was a jump like Neo in the first Matrix movie where he fell flat on his face.

Playground games. Maye Fable will be good. Who knows. Can't be worse then the other games, but I guess MS new thing is to just reboot old ips they have.

Rare-Everwild looks like another bland personality-less whatever. A game that pretends to be more simply because it dosen't seem to be those obnoxious shooty bang bang games. I'll care if it turns out to be anything more then some lame attempt to be thoughtful. Sorry, indies already have the pretentious with artstyle genre tied up Rare. Make things people actually care about.

The Imitative make Perfect Dark is completely unknown and can't shit on that. If they make a cool single player game, it will be like the first non Gears or Halo decent single player game from MS in years.

Obsidian-Yeah probably the most promising aspect about MS studio purchases. A studio that needed good support has it. Lets see if anything happens.

Compulsion games-Yeah I don't care about the studio that brought you Contrast and We Happy Few.

So pretty much before you bring in Bethesda, MS studio purchases really aren't that strong and seem like it will take them a long time to build up to what Sony or Nintendo has.

But sure add in Bethesda. I've never been huge fan, but it would be pretty dumb to say they aren't worthwhile.

But I mean the last Doom and Wolfenstien games were pretty meh. Not even talking about Young Blood which was a misguided mess of a cheap game. Evil Within has never lit the world up and Ghostwire is coming to PS5. As is Death Loop, yet Arkane themselves has sufferd some talent loss. Elder Scrolls and that Star game are years away. Hell wouldn't surprise me if Elder Scrolls is a next xbox title after everything plays out.

So really, I laugh at your idea of "power".

That's probably because Sony's exclusive game(s) already bought the farm on the system and now people are left with nothing but third party offerings and even so there's very few of those. The allure is gone, you effectively have a third party console with no equivalent value proposition as that of the Series X and their services.

It's not exactly hard to suss this out.

Krisprolls

Banned
This really is a good question. I bought both and finished Sockboy and Demon Souls by the end of Nov and those imo were the only two exclusives worth buying. Since then I'm been revisiting games via BC on the XSX and of course Cyberpunk and haven't even touched my PS5. Let's not pretend that it's not in the midst of a software drought itself and that the BC capabilities of the XSX give it slightly more legs right now. Sure that will change once tons of next gen stuff starts to hit but that will not be for months and until then the XSX does have a edge in what it offers right now

PS5 has the edge with BC too since the games you may play with BC are better too : God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Persona 5 and co are games you can only dream of on a Xbox console.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Weird to assume everyone have a gaming PC, it’s not even the reality at a board like this. I agree on many things the author says but if the console can’t stand on it’s own you need to add up the cost of getting into the hyped up full ecosystem scenario. Adding $2000 to the cost to fully enjoy the Xbox ecosystem might not look as appealing.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
343 can't even put out a good compilation without fucking that up. Their Halo titles have been underbaked as fuck, showing a clear misunderstanding of Halo. Instead pushing it more into a niche series that only the hardcore care about.

Ninja Theory is a garbage pretentious developer that literally has never made a good game, despite tons of resources thrown thier way. Thier first MS published game was something that any idiot who follows games knew would bomb. Who wanted Iron Phoenix 2? No one.

Undead Labs had so much promise, but instead shitted out a sequel to thier promising game. Not at all the Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 jump, instead it was a jump like Neo in the first Matrix movie where he fell flat on his face.

Playground games. Maye Fable will be good. Who knows. Can't be worse then the other games, but I guess MS new thing is to just reboot old ips they have.

Rare-Everwild looks like another bland personality-less whatever. A game that pretends to be more simply because it dosen't seem to be those obnoxious shooty bang bang games. I'll care if it turns out to be anything more then some lame attempt to be thoughtful. Sorry, indies already have the pretentious with artstyle genre tied up Rare. Make things people actually care about.

The Imitative make Perfect Dark is completely unknown and can't shit on that. If they make a cool single player game, it will be like the first non Gears or Halo decent single player game from MS in years.

Obsidian-Yeah probably the most promising aspect about MS studio purchases. A studio that needed good support has it. Lets see if anything happens.

Compulsion games-Yeah I don't care about the studio that brought you Contrast and We Happy Few.

So pretty much before you bring in Bethesda, MS studio purchases really aren't that strong and seem like it will take them a long time to build up to what Sony or Nintendo has.

But sure add in Bethesda. I've never been huge fan, but it would be pretty dumb to say they aren't worthwhile.

But I mean the last Doom and Wolfenstien games were pretty meh. Not even talking about Young Blood which was a misguided mess of a cheap game. Evil Within has never lit the world up and Ghostwire is coming to PS5. As is Death Loop, yet Arkane themselves has sufferd some talent loss. Elder Scrolls and that Star game are years away. Hell wouldn't surprise me if Elder Scrolls is a next xbox title after everything plays out.

Dr Dre Reaction GIF

Methos#1975

PS5 has the edge with BC too since the games you may play with BC are better too : God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Persona 5 and co are games you can only dream of on a Xbox console.
Yeah and pretty much everyone that has bought into the Sony ecosystem already has played and beat those games long ago, I have absolutely no need to revisit games I've already plat eons ago. But there are tons of third party stuff I've never played that is immediately better on the XSX

Methos#1975

The hope is that ps5 gets those groundbreaking games Sony promises every gen but until then I’m not calling it the better console. It’s just not.
I mean I don't see why they wouldn't eventually, I don't think anyone denies that Sony sets the bar when it comes to 1st party titles. It's a pretty easy prediction to make that things will continue on that front. The real debate is rather MS will finally deliver a similar quality of 1st party games across the board that match them that aren't named Forza or Gears? I hope they Do, they have the resources and studios to do so, it's the motivation that is questioned. I think for the good of the industry it's time they step up. Right now what we see in gaming is akin to what we see in the movie industry with only Disney producing the mega hits and long term that just isn't good or sustainable.

GHG

"Power Your Hate"

Sony is irrelevant and always has been.

Xbox just never had the full backing of Microsoft from Nadella but Phil changed all that.

Sony could not go into a bidding war with Microsoft to get Bethesda. Like Phil said, they are not our competition. Microsoft started last gen with like 8 studios and now look at how they ended the gen. Xbox generating more revenue in history, 23 studios, Game Pass Digital Gaming Service and X Cloud Streaming. Xbox is now the largest gaming company in the world. Microsoft killed it last gen and still have not really gotten serious yet, alot more is coming. Sony did good too, they sold PS4s. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is what real power looks like. :messenger_ok:

r3Mzz6t.jpg

If this isn't a joke post then this is sad.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can't see it being the best long term choice when PlayStation gets all the good 3rd party deals since it sells the most and because Microsoft will be eventually be putting their games on the ps5 after the Series consoles sell worse than the Xbox one halfway.

XBox (Series X + S) + PC market, means the PlayStation user base advantage is over. Third parties can't ignore MS like they did in the past.

(Unless your post was sarcastic)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
XBox (Series X + S) + PC market, means the PlayStation user base advantage is over. Third parties can't ignore MS like they did in the past.

(Unless your post was sarcastic)
This feels like a 1% number in China. You have had this situation going for ages and not killing the PlayStation user base advantage: solid massive uniform console user base (easier to develop for vs the super diverse PC ecosystem) that buys a lot of software and DLC (see PSN and PS SW revenue numbers for Sony).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This feels like a 1% number in China. You have had this situation going for ages and not killing the PlayStation user base advantage: solid massive uniform console user base (easier to develop for vs the super diverse PC ecosystem) that buys a lot of software and DLC (see PSN and PS SW revenue numbers for Sony).

Microsoft has never set their policy to console + PC for all their games. They've also never created a 2 system console for the casual + hardcore demo.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Have to agree. Playstation is just the console you get if you dont care about performance and just want to play a couple exclusives. once you play them then it sits there gathering dust until whenever more exclusives come out. Right now the only exclusives worth playing on PS5 are spiderman and demons souls. One is just a short spin off and the other is a remake of an 11 year old game. Not too exciting.

If you want that extra performance and a console that will play multiplatform games then Xbox is the way to go especially with gamepass, xcloud, and far superior backwards compatibility. Exclusive games arent there yet but seems promising. Halo Infinite. Forza 8/Horizon 5. State of Decay 3. Hellblade. And of course possibly future Doom/Elder Scrolls games.

i've owned every playstation since 1995 and decided to go xbox. Sony exclusives dont interest me. Tlou has gone to shit. Uncharted is just a tomb raider rip off. God of war, spiderman, and ghost of tsushima done nothing for me. The only ones i quite enjoyed were gran turismo and horizon zero dawn.

I mean I don't see why they wouldn't eventually, I don't think anyone denies that Sony sets the bar when it comes to 1st party titles. It's a pretty easy prediction to make that things will continue on that front. The real debate is rather MS will finally deliver a similar quality of 1st party games across the board that match them that aren't named Forza or Gears? I hope they Do, they have the resources and studios to do so, it's the motivation that is questioned. I think for the good of the industry it's time they step up. Right now what we see in gaming is akin to what we see in the movie industry with only Disney producing the mega hits and long term that just isn't good or sustainable.
Numbers wise would you say there are more hit first party Sony titles or more hit multiplatform titles in general?

If he means that the XSX will hit its straps in 12 or so months when their exclusives drop and Zenimax are also Xbox exclusives, then yeah of course.
Not really anything ground breaking there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Long term lol.
We’ll probably get a pro version 3 years from now when the exclusives that are being hyped now are finally released.
I really hope there are no pro versions this time around... Changing the power output of console totally misses the point of a console generation imo.
Slim? sure. Color schemes? great.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Microsoft has never set their policy to console + PC for all their games. They've also never created a 2 system console for the casual + hardcore demo.
Not sure what is the big difference there, MS used to release PC games before already and the number of PC’s has always been a lot bigger than consoles (of course most PC’s are not the kind the PCMR gang boasts about).

We will see what this dual SKU combo does beyond adding another HW profile instead of just having a cheaper and more expensive model with the same performance target and some optional accessories removed (see PS5 DE at $399), do not find the XSS anywhere near as appealing as the XSX and that one is $499... then again this is quite beside the point.

Have to agree. Playstation is just the console you get if you dont care about performance and just want to play a couple exclusives. once you play them then it sits there gathering dust until whenever more exclusives come out. Right now the only exclusives worth playing on PS5 are spiderman and demons souls. One is just a short spin off and the other is a remake of an 11 year old game. Not too exciting.

If you want that extra performance and a console that will play multiplatform games then Xbox is the way to go especially with gamepass, xcloud, and far superior backwards compatibility. Exclusive games arent there yet but seems promising. Halo Infinite. Forza 8/Horizon 5. State of Decay 3. Hellblade. And of course possibly future Doom/Elder Scrolls games.

i've owned every playstation since 1995 and decided to go xbox. Sony exclusives dont interest me. Tlou has gone to shit. Uncharted is just a tomb raider rip off. God of war, spiderman, and ghost of tsushima done nothing for me. The only ones i quite enjoyed were gran turismo and horizon zero dawn.
"extra performance" state of decay lol such a mediocre franchise like thousand on steam.
IDuMaxa.png

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Both consoles are selling right now mostly on promises, but it's true that Sony has a great track record when it comes to first-party titles. If you like their offering you will get Playstation - you are guaranteed sequels to well-received games in the future. The issue becomes if you really want to see gaming being pushed forward: behind all the pretty things (and I love Playstation's IPs) Sony exclusives follow the same by-the-numbers idea:

1. Pretty
2. Single Player
3. Lot's to do

I don't know if that's the case for everyone - I've been gaming for 25-30 years now and it starts to feel more and more like the same thing, just with new coat of paint. I still remember playing through Planescape Torment, but that was 20 years ago. Only with Witcher 3 I got the sense that RPGs really advanced in a meaningful way to to quality of writing. I know most people don't care about that, hence why companies focus on graphics and more gamey activities.

Microsoft is at least trying to innovate with GamePass, Remote Play, Game Everywhere, I hope Azure will get more use and we will see it being used in games, however with how bad broadband coverage is in the US I do not see it being the case in the foreseeable future.

What I would LOVE is for Nintendo to launch a standalone VR headset and really offer new experiences - people are already not buying 3rd party titles for Switch, let's just push it to logical conclusion.

Pallas

Gold Member
Spend $500 for a console that you clearly don’t need to use gamepass when you could just use a PC or your mobile, I don’t see how its of any “value” and “pro consumer”
What part of that is not pro consumer? Certainly you may not see value on that but saying it’s not pro consumer is false. Fact that you don’t need a Xbox Series S/X to get Game Pass, is very pro consumer. They aren’t tying you down to a console.
Phil has been the head of Xbox since 2014. It's already been a long haul.

This is the guy that was excited about Halo Infinite before that disastrous reveal. The guy that has no real exclusive games hitting his next-gen console until 2022! Maybe Halo makes it, but it's not going to go from what it was to an "award winner" in under 12 months.

The Zenimax purchase is basically desperation at still not having enough going. It's been all talk, talk, talk. For like 7 years now!

How in the heck can anyone think this guy knows what he is doing at this point and that he is playing some secret master game of chess? Good software is very hard to make. The way he has been handling Xbox is the way he will handle Xbox.

It's just all talk, smoke, and mirrors at this point. If you want to see the division improve you should be calling for him to be removed and get someone in there who actually understands the medium. It's plain embarrassing at this point.

Yea but wasn’t Xbox division tethered to a bigger division within Microsoft until recently?I can’t think of the name, though. Phil was (I think 2017 or 2018) the actual head of Xbox when it got a seat at the big boys table with Microsoft’s other divisions.

Also the Zenimax purchase was in talks for several years, it wasn’t a spun of a moment/desperation move. Xbox and Zenimax has had a close working relationship ever since the OG Xbox.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Both consoles are selling right now mostly on promises, but it's true that Sony has a great track record when it comes to first-party titles. If you like their offering you will get Playstation - you are guaranteed sequels to well-received games in the future. The issue becomes if you really want to see gaming being pushed forward: behind all the pretty things (and I love Playstation's IPs) Sony exclusives follow the same by-the-numbers idea:

1. Pretty
2. Single Player
3. Lot's to do

I don't know if that's the case for everyone - I've been gaming for 25-30 years now and it starts to feel more and more like the same thing, just with new coat of paint. I still remember playing through Planescape Torment, but that was 20 years ago. Only with Witcher 3 I got the sense that RPGs really advanced in a meaningful way to to quality of writing. I know most people don't care about that, hence why companies focus on graphics and more gamey activities.

Microsoft is at least trying to innovate with GamePass, Remote Play, Game Everywhere, I hope Azure will get more use and we will see it being used in games, however with how bad broadband coverage is in the US I do not see it being the case in the foreseeable future.

What I would LOVE is for Nintendo to launch a standalone VR headset and really offer new experiences - people are already not buying 3rd party titles for Switch, let's just push it to logical conclusion.

A Spiderman game with lots of next gen features and Demon Souls remake aren't just promises though. They helped a lot with hype for the PS5 launch. Xbox had nothing and has had nothing for many many years, during the entire Xbone era MS managed to produce nothing noteworthy and Spencer was in charge for most of it.

Why would the PS5 owner not play multi-plats? So far most multi-plats actually play better on it, so even the idea you bought both doesn't hold water.

Cyberpunkd

A Spiderman game with lots of next gen features and Demon Souls remake aren't just promises though. They helped a lot with hype for the PS5 launch. Xbox had nothing and has had nothing for many many years, during the entire Xbone era MS managed to produce nothing noteworthy and Spencer was in charge for most of it.
Once again - Spiderman is an open-world, side-missions, collectibles-fetch simulator. Plus you need to like comicbook characters. Demon Souls is a remake of a 10-year old game, the exact definition of 'new coat of paint' I mentioned. If you like that great- you will have great time with Playstation. I simply said it's not for me.

Banjo64

cumsessed

You do yourself a disservice by bringing up the Master Chief Collection. In its current state it’s one of the best games on the market. The longevity it’s having on Steam backs this up. Same statement applies to Sea of Thieves.

Doom Eternal is pretty meh...

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

Not even mentioning Double Fine who’ve made some great games, and not delving in to Playground’s previous games because their critical and fan reception goes against your argument? Pretty weak.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Once again - Spiderman is an open-world, side-missions, collectibles-fetch simulator. Plus you need to like comicbook characters. Demon Souls is a remake of a 10-year old game, the exact definition of 'new coat of paint' I mentioned. If you like that great- you will have great time with Playstation. I simply said it's not for me.

Fair enough, but you probably see the broad appeal both have in general. It created a positive story for PS5 at launch.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This seems like a silly article to make seeing as how everyone is talking about the PS5

Rockman33

Forza horizon, orri series, flight simulator, sea of thieves and gears 4&5 are nothing?

You know that Sony launch PS Now and Remote Play way before Gamepass. And MS initiative Play Anywhere failed miserably.

So, bunch of open world games are open-world, side-missions, collectibles-fetch simulator then. LOL Despite Demon's Souls is a 10 year old IP, but it's a full fledged next-gen game with bunch of new content. If you're interested, you can check it here

Not nothing, but eh. Don't know. Most of them don't really scream system selling exclusive to me.

Gears 1 and 2 it seemed like the franchise could push consoles but then it just cratered into irrelevance, not because the quality dropped... more because it never evolved or became anything more than what it was. Also other games were showing they could do it's cover mechanic shit better, Gears never tried to catch up to them, but it did try and copy the sorts of things most of us didn't want it to... opting for more set piece scripted moments instead of a pure combat experience. The others listed are definitely for niche audiences. Microsoft doesn't currently have something like Uncharted, God of War, Horizon, The Last of Us, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc. it's the console dude bros buy because their dude bro friends bought it and they don't realize they could easily switch to PS5 and still play Call of Duty with each other.

Top Bottom