• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Trends: While the PlayStation 5 had immediate appeal, the Xbox Series X feels more and more like the best long-term choice this generation.

Yes, you can play all the shitty 60-rated MS games like Crackdown 3 or Bright Memory on your PC, but most people prefer Sony 90-rated games like God of War, go figure. It's almost like people prefer playing better games.

You know if we extrapolate the possible future from the past I do think Sony holds better cards. Microsoft exclusives haven't been good for a decade.
Obviously they know this in Redmond as well hence buying Bethesda.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It is an interesting product. If you have a PC it is either useless or it offers a cheap second system for the gamepass games. If you don't have a PC it offers access to a lot of good developers. Still though, it's just a matter of preference. I wish Sony would put their games on PC with a Playstation Store. It would save me the hassle of finding a place for a giant fugly white thing and switching inputs. I hate switching inputs especially when there are no proper HDMI 2.1 AVRs on the market.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Yeah this is where I'm at too. Nothing to play on either system so why even bother buying?

Perhaps Holiday 2021 will give us more reason to buy but if COVID fucks with us for another 6 months (ie before vaccination is complete) we'll probably have another year of fucking nothing.

PlayStation 5 is worth purchasing for its ability to play practically all PS4 games at the same quality as the PS4 Pro or better without sounding like a jet engine.

Banjo64

cumsessed
And here is the other problem with MS strategy : on PC it won't be easy to make people pay for Game Pass, even if it stays 10 dollars per month, because there are tons of cheap alternatives like Steam or Epic Store or Humble Bundles.

You get tons of great games nearly for free on PC. I don't think even a 10 dollars Game Pass subscription is good value on PC. You get tons of great games on PC for 120 dollars per year. Games you can choose and keep for ever, and play when you want. Unlike on GP.

But if they don't get that many PC subscribers, it means they rely mostly on Xbox installed base, which isn't much. I don't think Game Pass may ever be deemed profitable enough by MS if it doesn't catch a great number of PC players.

Basically GP will fail and ultimately close shop if they don't catch PC gamers, and I'm not sure they'll succeed on that market.
Their PC strategy is great. Even if PC players won’t subscribe to Game Pass they are buying and playing Microsoft’s games on Steam in the traditional way.

The proof is there in black and white, Master Chief Collection and Sea of Thieves are consistently selling very well (in the top 10 sellers, yet again, this month), being played by plenty of people with overwhelming positive feedback being left by thousands of buyers.

You better believe that when Halo Infinite drops on Steam, as well as whatever else MS drops there, it’s going to sell gang busters.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That doesn't make what I said untrue. It's not like it's just this thread.
If you have PS5 on the title people will come for PS5.
That is obvious.
If you wanted a positive Xbox thread makes a Xbox thread without try to lure PS5 guys into it... easy.

Ps4 may have the exclusives which in really jealous of, but in terms of value xbox and gamepass is where its at. I don't have the time nor money to drop £70 games these days. For me personally, it's great to jump quickly into a game and have a quick play and nit have to worry about the cost and if the reviews are good and if I should buy it etc.

SkylineRKR

You know if we extrapolate the possible future from the past I do think Sony holds better cards. Microsoft exclusives haven't been good for a decade.
Obviously they know this in Redmond as well hence buying Bethesda.

Sony has better exclusives for sure, and better single player games. In an ideal world, Sony would have an equivalent of GP (Plus+EA Play and day one exclusives). In fact, Sony's deal would crush MS since they have a much better portfolio. But they believe in selling games the way they do which is a fair point and they sell.

MS made mistakes with Don Mattrick and Kinect (which was a short term fad). They let go of Bizarre, Tecmo kinda left as a second party and Bungie left. Rare had to make kinect stuff. Ofcourse Playground does fill in the arcade racer gap well but still, on 360 they had more IP. And better games since the Bungie Halos are much better imo. Gears too perhaps though I like 5. With OG Xbox and 360 MS really tried with JRPG, niche games from Sega and exclusive stuff like Mass Effect and Crimson Skies. They had a lot of cool games.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you have PS5 on the title people will come for PS5.
That is obvious.
If you wanted a positive Xbox thread makes a Xbox thread without try to lure PS5 guys into it... easy.
There was a time where you could notice the following unfolding:
1.) List of FUD or concern threads about PS5 would pop up
2.) Traffic to those inflamatory and "concern" filled threads kept them going up and down the list for a while
3.) A new thread would then appear after a while asking people if they were still going to preorder a PS5 or if they decided to cancel it or go for an XSX instead or alongside it"... which smells of KPI measurement to me :LOL:.
4.) Go back to step 1...

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Their PC strategy is great. Even if PC players won’t subscribe to Game Pass they are buying and playing Microsoft’s games on Steam in the traditional way.

The proof is there in black and white, Master Chief Collection and Sea of Thieves are consistently selling very well (in the top 10 sellers, yet again, this month), being played by plenty of people with overwhelming positive feedback being left by thousands of buyers.

You better believe that when Halo Infinite drops on Steam, as well as whatever else MS drops there, it’s going to sell gang busters.

Ok but if people buy it on Steam, it doesn't help Game Pass subscriptions. If you look at Netflix, they succeeded mostly because they had a lot of great exclusive shows and series you couldn't get elsewhere.

Krisprolls

Banned
There was a time where this pattern would happen:
1.) List of FUD or concern threads about PS5 popped up
2.) Traffic to those inflamatory and "concern" filled threads kept them going up and down the list for a while
3.) A new thread would then appear adfter a while asking people if they are still going to preorder a PS5 or if they decided to cancel it or go for an XSX instead or alongside it"... which smells of KPI measurement to me :LOL:.

Yes, historically MS is very well known for their FUD and astroturfing tactics unfortunately. Some of their fanboys also do that job for free.

I wonder among our green team posters here how many are actual posters and how many are actually paid astroturfers. There are far too many of them for a brand which makes for a very small market share worldwide.

Last edited:
Geforce Now is also not too shabby, can play from your existing library and with RTX, which stadia can't do. Game Pass just doesn't cut it, why would I need it lmao

Poop!

Yes, you can play all the shitty 60-rated MS games like Crackdown 3 or Bright Memory on your PC, but most people prefer Sony 90-rated games like God of War, go figure. It's almost like people prefer playing better games.

My kids are 5 and 7. With gamepass they don't care about metacritic rated games. They just want to play through as many as possible. I have not paid for a single game since launch. In my house, it's all gamepass all the time.

Reading the article they are litteraly just basing this on game pass it sounds like.
They mention social - but that is only because their friends are on Xbox. You can't make wide judgements based on that as for other people it is flipped.
And they mention media - but give no actual reason for preffering the Xbox for it. They just say "I naturally decided to add my logins to my Xbox" - where is the reasoning there?
Sony is irrelevant and always has been.

I mean - seriously?
How many Xbox's have been sold in total since 2001?
How many PlayStaation's have been sold in the same time period?
Hell based on the numbers I can find - the PS2 has lifetime sales pretty much matching every single Xbox combined - and yet it is Sony who are irrelevant?
What that means is for the majority of people - when they think of gaming, they do not think Xbox, they think PlayStation or Nintendo.

Last edited:
And here is the other problem with MS strategy : on PC it won't be easy to make people pay for Game Pass, even if it stays 10 dollars per month, because there are tons of cheap alternatives like Steam or Epic Store or Humble Bundles.

You get tons of great games nearly for free on PC. I don't think even a 10 dollars Game Pass subscription is good value on PC. You get tons of great games on PC for 120 dollars per year. Games you can choose and keep for ever, and play when you want. Unlike on GP.

But if they don't get that many PC subscribers, it means they rely mostly on Xbox installed base, which isn't much. I don't think Game Pass may ever be deemed profitable enough by MS if it doesn't catch a great number of PC players.

Basically GP will fail and ultimately close shop if they don't catch PC gamers, and I'm not sure they'll succeed on that market.
Are you concerned for MS by any chance?

Last edited:
Honestly Xbox has been a long term investment for consumers. You get a console now and you wait it out for 7 years to see the competition knock it out of the park year after year with banger exclusives. So yeah PS5 has the immediate appeal meanwhile Xbox Series X longterm potential is the consumers of Xbox Series X waiting year after year seeing the competition once again knock it out of the park with banger exclusives. Good luck to Xbox and Phil, here's hoping this new gen perhaps with all the studios they've acquired, maybe their first party quality output would be better.

Honestly Xbox has been a long term investment for consumers. You get a console now and you wait it out for 7 years to see the competition knock it out of the park year after year with banger exclusives. So yeah PS5 has the immediate appeal meanwhile Xbox Series X longterm potential is the consumers of Xbox Series X waiting year after year seeing the competition once again knock it out of the park with banger exclusives. Good luck to Xbox and Phil, here's hoping this new gen perhaps with all the studios they've acquired, maybe their first party quality output would be better.
Says Mr. Playstation

Can we now hear from Mr. Xbox to see if he has a different opinion.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
The only thing you have to go by at this point in time is both publishers' track records. I know which camp that'd put me in if I felt a burning need to buy a nextgen console at the start of a generation instead of the end.

SkylineRKR

Not the last 2 gens it didn't. Finished both with a whimper.

Xbox support has been shit since they entered.

OG Xbox was killed on the spot, like 3 years after the system launched in Europe, because of Nvidia contracts I think. 360 held out long, was on the market earlier than Sony, but they shat on the core consumer during its final years. This is what cost them the next generation, alongside the price. Sony meanwhile started out with a turd (PS3 launch), but they kept creating IP for it despite some of them not selling well. Move was seen as a failure at first, but I always celebrated their approach since I hated all that shit. I was happy Sony didn't go all in and I think PS4 had one issue less because of it.

SNG32

The problem with this by the time Xbox starts dropping all there gems between 2022 and 2023. That gives Sony alot of time to drop there own set of exclusives and timed exclusives. Sure Bethesda is a great acquisition that Microsoft needed desperately but its not enough to kill the momentum of Sony and the PS5.

yurinka

I don't know, maybe Xbox has a chance if they start to release their big MS next gen only games in late 2022 and (something I think won't happen) keep all of them as full console exclusives maybe in 2024 or so they are ready to compete in terms of catalog against Sony. And this is if they don't adapt their future big games to Gamepass slicing the base game into a smaller portion and move a good part to DLCs not included in Gamepass, having a GaaS approach trying to make the whole thing more profitable but pissing off many fans from classic IPs.

They may have more chances if 3rd party devs find some way (I wouldn't bet on it) to break the current trend of mostly all native next gen multis looking basically the same or better in PS5 and all of them start to look and perform better on XSX instead. It didn't help with XB1X but it would help to get some support.

They also may have more chances if now they spend another fuckton of money on buying several important companies for the Asian market in order to have better received there and be more appealing for that market and to have more IPs for the fans of Japanese games. I think they could buy Sega and rename XSX to Dreamcast 2, buy Square-Enix and Konami to have a good chunk of important classic IPs and be stronger in certain game types like JRPG or classic games. They also should buy some big ass Korean and Chinese company to have a presence there and to have local content that appeals these market. But well, being realistic I think won't happen.

And well, they are focused on Gamepass so it would also be assuming it will work well, grows a lot, they put there many great new games and price doesn't grow too much once they get a good userbase of full price subscribers.

But I think that even if it they achieve all these things, it may to be too late. The market share advantage for PS5 in 2024 or so, that is once all these things could be ready, it can be already too big. Bigger than the one PS4 had over XBO at the same point, because back then Xbox at least had console exclusives that weren't available on PC.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So glorified DLC, a platformer, a carbon copy remake and a tech demo.
Your loss mate for disregarding Demon’s Souls and Astro’s Play Room like this... if you want to miss out on great games (Astro is not only making awe inducing good use of the Dual Sense, but it is a very fun platformer in its own right), fill your boots :).

Then again it seems like your goal is more to piss off the other lot (“the PS fanboys”) than anything else why utter something negative and dismissive of content you have little to no experience with? It is a way to fight the systems war too I guess in a bit envious kind of way.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The only thing you have to go by at this point in time is both publishers' track records. I know which camp that'd put me in if I felt a burning need to buy a nextgen console at the start of a generation instead of the end.
Exactly means I need both Sony is consolidating to making the best games games in 1 genre. They are ignoring areas like western RPGs and other types of games Microsoft is investing in. The way I see it I get the best 3rd person adventure games on a slim PS5 and the best western RPGs, arcade racers and shooters on gamepass. I only win in that situation.

bxrz

Your loss mate for disregarding Demon’s Souls and Astro’s Play Room like this... if you want to miss out on great games (Astro is not only making awe inducing good use of the Dual Sense, but it is a very fun platformer in its own right), fill your boots :).

Then again it seems like your goal is more to piss off the other lot (“the PS fanboys”) than anything else why utter something negative and dismissive of content you have little to no experience with? It is a way to fight the systems war too I guess in a bit envious kind of way.
I have a PS5. I played MM and beat Astro’s playroom. They aren’t games to be bragging about to make a statement like “Sony fans are too busy playing games”. I put more hours into Immortals and Cyberpunk than any PS5 exclusive

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have a PS5. I played MM and beat Astro’s playroom. They aren’t games to be bragging about to make a statement like “Sony fans are too busy playing games”. I put more hours into Immortals and Cyberpunk than any PS5 exclusive
These are definitely games to be bragging about, no shame in saying Astro’s Play Room is a kick ass yet short platformer (that even I can platinum) and an ideal killer app for the Dual Sense. You should give Demon’s Souls a try too, but if you prefer the current state of CP2077 to it... well, fine if you do not like Souls games. If you did though, again, your loss ;).

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
ray liotta laughing GIF

RGB'D

I have XBox gamepass, Epic store, steam and use the humble bundle when something peaks my interest. If you don't use them all... you are really missing out on PC gaming. I absolutely play a bunch of gamepass games that I would have had to pay for on the other platforms.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
With the Bethesda adquisición it is a possibility. But it depends on the future plans of that branch and how much you love Howard and Id games.

It's not even close to even being possible actually. At best, the better long term play for a gamer would be to own both consoles.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The guy seems to like the UX of the "cross-platform experience".. and likes GamePass.

Those are certainly reasons that people are allowed to favor the Xbox ecosystem over the Playstation one...

However it makes for a pretty weak article lol.. an achievement popping up on PC when you get one on Xbox? That's like 25% of his argument here lol.

Radical_3d

It's not even close to even being possible actually. At best, the better long term play for a gamer would be to own both consoles.
As I said, it depends on how much do you care for, say, Elder Scrolls. I don’t give a damn about Bethesda games so I’m ok. But you can’t deny that those are a lot of studios and some people may like those game more than a Spiderman 2.

Love your tag, btw. Team Moriarty.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I generally agree. It's why I went with an Xbox again for the first time in over a decade. I'm sensitive to the changing of tides.
Also, their customer service will be the death of them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As I said, it depends on how much do you care for, say, Elder Scrolls. I don’t give a damn about Bethesda games so I’m ok. But you can’t deny that those are a lot of studios and some people may like those game more than a Spiderman 2.

Love your tag, btw. Team Moriarty.

I do wish Colin would be accepted back into the industry like he was before.

Top Bottom