• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Trends: While the PlayStation 5 had immediate appeal, the Xbox Series X feels more and more like the best long-term choice this generation.

I'm having a tough time believing this is a general opinion piece without influence from MS. Maybe it is, and maybe it is not. Impossible for me to say. But what I can say is that I find it incredible for a journalist to be suggesting Series X is looking more and more like the best long term choice compared to two months ago. Did MS stealth drop a bunch of first party exclusives recently? Cause from my vantage point the two consoles are in the same exact spot as two months ago. Only difference is one has become easier to obtain from what I hear.
It dropped Gears 5....the first thing to really show off the console.

Paulxo87

I like Digital Trends especially Caleb who does the tv reviews. Good guy

However this is one of a several articles to come out in the new year that begin to question Sony and the PS5 in relation to Xbox.

I have been gaming for almost 30 years. I have seen it all. I have not seen hysteria over a game console like this since the PS2 and the PS5 is not even off the ground yet. The console will be sold out for the next two years or close to it at all times. Sony custom made the hardware(esp the super fast I/O) for their first parties to exploit and have their games look and run on a scope of scale that no PC or console game can compete with for years. We literally have not seen what they are up to yet. These games will be like crack for the gaming community. The real colossal cock slap of Xbox by PS5 has not even happened yet.

I wish xbox well and think the series X is a decent piece of hardware but let's face facts here - sony slashed their tires yet again

WakeTheWolf

I like Digital Trends especially Caleb who does the tv reviews. Good guy

However this is one of a several articles to come out in the new year that begin to question Sony and the PS5 in relation to Xbox.

I have been gaming for almost 30 years. I have seen it all. I have not seen hysteria over a game console like this since the PS2 and the PS5 is not even off the ground yet. The console will be sold out for the next two years or close to it at all times. Sony custom made the hardware(esp the super fast I/O) for their first parties to exploit and have their games look and run on a scope of scale that no PC or console game can compete with for years. We literally have not seen what they are up to yet. These games will be like crack for the gaming community. The real colossal cock slap of Xbox by PS5 has not even happened yet.

I wish xbox well and think the series X is a decent piece of hardware but let's face facts here - sony slashed their tires yet again
We shall see when Elder Scrolls comes out but both consoles are in a great position right now. They are both in high demand. I prefer my PC personally. I think if PS5 lose support Japanese support they won't have much appeal minus the movie games that are turning political.

Kerotan

Ok but if people buy it on Steam, it doesn't help Game Pass subscriptions. If you look at Netflix, they succeeded mostly because they had a lot of great exclusive shows and series you couldn't get elsewhere.
It's much better people buying games full price then getting them on a sub or for some cheap ass gamepass deal. I would have bought jedi fallen order for 20 or 30 euro but because it's on EA access I'll sub for 1 month play it then unsub.
The problem with this by the time Xbox starts dropping all there gems between 2022 and 2023. That gives Sony alot of time to drop there own set of exclusives and timed exclusives. Sure Bethesda is a great acquisition that Microsoft needed desperately but its not enough to kill the momentum of Sony and the PS5.
We've heard this line before. No guarantee their games are going to ground breaking or massive system sellers.. Or that they don't get big delays.

supernova8

Banned
PlayStation 5 is worth purchasing for its ability to play practically all PS4 games at the same quality as the PS4 Pro or better without sounding like a jet engine.

If I wanted to buy a next-gen console for the purpose of playing old games (I don't) I would probably buy an Xbox Series X. While I have no interest in that side of things, their implementation is clearly far better.

Still definitely waiting until there are more games to play and also until the inventory issues are resolved. There's absolutely no way I'm paying a crazily over-inflated price (scalper) or sitting around refreshing pages like a weirdo just to buy a device (either one) that has practically nothing to play.

I applaud all those who did manage to pick one up and people are entitled to do what they want with their money but it's not for me right now.

Imagine being tribalist to an autistic degree over a piece of plastic and silicon, sick, psychs have their work cut out for them. 🤣

Bryank75

Banned
I hope you didn't pay a scalper. How did you buy a 2nd they are out of stock everywhere.
I live in Ireland and had my first unit preordered in summer 2019 in Gamestop, then I preordered a second just after the preorders went live officially and I got a digital one in the second allotment which they said was not guaranteed to arrive before Christmas but luckily it did... cause it was a present for my son. I paid retail price for both. I've never paid a scalper in my life.

sendit

"Power Your Hate"

Sony is irrelevant and always has been.

Xbox just never had the full backing of Microsoft from Nadella but Phil changed all that.

Sony could not go into a bidding war with Microsoft to get Bethesda. Like Phil said, they are not our competition. Microsoft started last gen with like 8 studios and now look at how they ended the gen. Xbox generating more revenue in history, 23 studios, Game Pass Digital Gaming Service and X Cloud Streaming. Xbox is now the largest gaming company in the world. Microsoft killed it last gen and still have not really gotten serious yet, alot more is coming. Sony did good too, they sold PS4s. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is what real power looks like. :messenger_ok:

r3Mzz6t.jpg
6mHRuqf.png

itsnotme

Such a weird comment. There's a shit ton of quality games on gamepass, across your console/PC/mobile/tablet and accessible across family gamertags to play simultaneously as well. My son and daughter enjoy gamepass while I do as well.

Pretty shitty comment when you factor in games like these instantly available to you, this is a cherry picked list and not even the full list of ones confirmed for future first/third party releases. There are seriously quality games within gamepass already across multiple devices -
  • ARK
  • Banjo games
  • Batman AK
  • Battlefield games (all)
  • Control
  • Crysis 1, 2 & 3
  • Dead Space games (all)
  • Destiny 2
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Dragon Age 2, Inquisition & Origins
  • EA sports UFC
  • Fable games (all)
  • Fallout 76 & New Vegas
  • FIFA games (all)
  • Final Fantasy games (IX, VIII/remastered, XV, XV multi)
  • Five Nights at Freddy's (all)
  • Flight Simulator
  • Forza Horizon 4 & Motorsport 7
  • Full Throttle remastered
  • Gears of War games (all)
  • Guacamelee! 2
  • Halo 5
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Halo: Master Chief Collection
  • Hellblade
  • Hello Neighbor
  • Hollow Knight
  • Killer Instinct games (all)
  • Kingdom Hears games (all)
  • Madden NFL games (all)
  • Mass Effect games (all)
  • Middle Earth (Shadow of War)
  • Minecraft
  • Minecraft Dungeons
  • Mirror's Edge & Catalyst
  • Monster Hunter World
  • NBA Live games (all)
  • Need for Speed games (all)
  • NHL games (all)
  • Ninja Gaiden II
  • No Man's Sky
  • Ori 1 & 2
  • Perfect Dark games (all)
  • Plants vs Zombies games (all)
  • PUBG
  • Quantum Break
  • Rare Replay
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Ryse
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Skate 3
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • SSX
  • Star Wars games (Battlefront 1 & 2, Jedi Fallen Order)
  • State of Decay games
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Superhot
  • Tekken 7
  • Terraria
  • Tetris Effect
  • The Bard's Tale games
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Jackbox Party games
  • The Outer Worlds
  • The Sims 4
  • The Walking Dead games
  • The Witcher 3
  • Titanfall games (all)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Yakuza games (0, Kiwami 1 & 2)
Lest we forget emulators, XSX is playing PS games like no tomorrow as well. I'll just leave the fact that XSX is playing PS2 games better than PS5 here as well...
One thing that's so misleading about the EA play X gamepass deal is that none of EAs latest sports games are available. Gamepass ultimate only includes the basic EA play games which the sports games are not part of except for the 10 hour trail versions. I got fooled into getting EA play thinking FIFA would be on it but it wasn't it only gets added really late into the life cycle when there's nobody playing it anymore, no more content dropping and the next version is near.

itsnotme

It's been pretty clear aint it? 🤷‍♀️

Phil is in it for the long haul.
Series X may appear to 'lose' the early x-gen battle for 2020, but the war is just starting.

Building the best hardware, GPU, xCloud and BC through VM.
Zenimax buyout cements that vision. Seems more consolidation to come.
You just cant convine Satya Nadella to open the warchest, without substance behind it.

MS is going to disrupt console gaming just as when Sony did during PS1 era.
Just glad that some publication are starting to see through the fog and giving MS credit due. 🤷‍♀️
Long run? Phill has been in power since 2014 TWENTY FOURTEEN it's been 6 years turing 7 the way people speak about him as if he's the new boy on the block when he's literally isn't. What did he do in those 6 years? My dusty (or at least it would be if I didn't clean it) Xbox one sitting in the living room says nothing much.

The hardware is currently being beating by the PS5 so you can't really say it's definitively more powerful because the games aren't showing that. Yes maybe on paper sure but nobody is playing the paper I'm afraid.

Sony disrupted the market from launch day there wasn't any of this "wait until the tools mature in 2-3 years" its going to be hard to disrupt a market in 2-3 years with an existing product but hey I guess we'll wait and see.

One thing that's so misleading about the EA play X gamepass deal is that none of EAs latest sports games are available. Gamepass ultimate only includes the basic EA play games which the sports games are not part of except for the 10 hour trail versions. I got fooled into getting EA play thinking FIFA would be on it but it wasn't it only gets added really late into the life cycle when there's nobody playing it anymore, no more content dropping and the next version is near.
Interesting, didn't realise that. Big money machine to rollout current rosters, teams, players etc I suppose.

rubenburgt

Users are starting a console war between PS5 and XSX in this thread, and I'm just here playing Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch.

Seriously guys. Why fanboying a company?
With that being said, I think it is still too early to call a "winner".

We shall see when Elder Scrolls comes out but both consoles are in a great position right now. They are both in high demand. I prefer my PC personally. I think if PS5 lose support Japanese support they won't have much appeal minus the movie games that are turning political.

I see this a lot. Why would PS5 lose Japanese support if it sells gangbusters in the West? Why would Japanese devs stop porting their games to PlayStation? Japan needs those $ and €.

Greggy

Some people are really getting triggered by an opinion article stating that a console may have a future. Go figure.

WakeTheWolf

I see this a lot. Why would PS5 lose Japanese support if it sells gangbusters in the West? Why would Japanese devs stop porting their games to PlayStation? Japan needs those $ and €.
Because the switch is king and sony are actively making it difficult for most japanese developers

"Power Your Hate"

Sony is irrelevant and always has been.

Xbox just never had the full backing of Microsoft from Nadella but Phil changed all that.

Sony could not go into a bidding war with Microsoft to get Bethesda. Like Phil said, they are not our competition. Microsoft started last gen with like 8 studios and now look at how they ended the gen. Xbox generating more revenue in history, 23 studios, Game Pass Digital Gaming Service and X Cloud Streaming. Xbox is now the largest gaming company in the world. Microsoft killed it last gen and still have not really gotten serious yet, alot more is coming. Sony did good too, they sold PS4s. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is what real power looks like. :messenger_ok:

r3Mzz6t.jpg
Lol this is basically you since he hit a nerve for u .

18GOpEe.jpg

Xbox as gaming brand has always been irrelevant world wide and will become more irrelevant as years pass by.

martino

thanks, good to know

H-I-M

A fancy garage without any nice cars to put in it is kinda pointless to me.

But apparently they have a bunch of studios that will magically and suddenly put out GOTY games.
We clearly saw the results and long-term plan with Halo.

Thirty7ven

Banned
One things for sure, MS’s ability to butter up the media remains unmatched.

Ten years of mediocre software? That’s ok. Introduction of paid online? Even better. A garbage console(X1)? Yes please. A dreadful launch? Please buy. Drought after drought? We gotta look deep into the future. Sales not so good? Don’t look much into it. Astroturfing? What’s that anyway. Buying publishers? Pro consumer. Mysterious patches that lower the performance on other versions of games with Xbox marketing? Nothing to see.

There’s a reason why Steve Jobs thought MS made trash products, but was found of Sony. But hey who needs good products when you can just buy narratives?

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
But apparently they have a bunch of studios that will magically and suddenly put out GOTY games.
We clearly saw the results and long-term plan with Halo.
Ah yes because 343 = playground, obsidian, inexile, st albans house, turn 10 and the initiative. I must of missed all those bad games playground and turn 10 put out. Nice try to taint good studios with 343 stink.

v_iHuGi

Banned

Xbox is not in high demand. In Europe per example Series S is widely available, in fact i´m saying right here and you can bookmark that Xbox Series has already failed bigger in EU than Xbox One and will continue to do so.

H-I-M

Ah yes because 343 = playground, obsidian, inexile, st albans house, turn 10 and the initiative. I must of missed all those bad games playground and turn 10 put out. Nice try to taint good studios with 343 stink.

The point being that Halo is Microsoft's flagship game.
It's not just 343's responsibility, but the entire company as a whole.

So the fact that after all these years of development, budget and expectations, they still completely missed the mark, does not bode well for their "long term plan" (which is what this thread is about).

I must of missed all those bad games playground and turn 10 put out. Nice try to taint good studios with 343 stink.

And all those studios still couldn't turn things around during the Xbox One era.

Last edited:
I can't agree more with this. MS, Sony and Nintendo are proposing three well defined and different gaming approaches and it never made more sense to own the three consoles.

It's not exactly sitting on shelves in the UK. It's literally out of stock on every store.
At Finland S have been sitting on shelves most of the time. Maybe not available on every store/city 24/7 on december, but at the moment it is basically available "everywhere". Out of around 15-20 times I went to stores on december, I only saw once them being sold out.

Even PS4 were sold out around xmas 2020, while Nintendo switch were also sitting on selves, which should tell how much more popular playstation is here than even nintendo. And xbox is like 16th wheel.

One store even stated that they maybe wont get PS5 before 2022, and others talk about April or later.

UK have been one of the rare places where xbox have had popularity, so it is not surprise that it have been sold out there.

Here it took roughly 2000x times longer for series x to be sold out vs PS5, that is how things just are. On used market, Original ps4/slim are about as valuable as xbox one x, 100-200€. Which shows that xbox cant keep their value as there isnt much of a demand.

Kagey K

Banned
At Finland S have been sitting on shelves most of the time. Maybe not available on every store/city 24/7 on december, but at the moment it is basically available "everywhere". Out of around 15-20 times I went to stores on december, I only saw once them being sold out.

Even PS4 were sold out around xmas 2020, while Nintendo switch were also sitting on selves, which should tell how much more popular playstation is here than even nintendo. And xbox is like 16th wheel.

One store even stated that they maybe wont get PS5 before 2022, and others talk about April or later.

UK have been one of the rare places where xbox have had popularity, so it is not surprise that it have been sold out there.

Here it took roughly 2000x times longer for series x to be sold out vs PS5, that is how things just are. On used market, Original ps4/slim are about as valuable as xbox one x, 100-200€. Which shows that xbox cant keep their value as there isnt much of a demand.
Jesus. Finland and Portugal.

MS is in trouble now.

There must be millions unsold, they might as well bury it right next to Atari ET in the dump and call it a day.

Jesus. Finland and Portugal.

MS is in trouble now.

There must be millions unsold, they might as well bury it right next to Atari ET in the dump and call it a day.
I wonder how it's doing in the largest market on the planet? Hopefully better than Portugal and Lithuania.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I wonder how it's doing in the largest territory on the planet? Hopefully better than Portugal and Lithuania.
Maybe the Czech Republic is offsetting those numbers. Otherwise they might be in a world of hurt, those 5000 consoles could go to needy families that have no consoles though, if they really want to be charitable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom