• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Dragon's Dogma 2 PS5/Xbox Series X/S and PC performances

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My reason for waiting is not to reward unfinished games. It's not just cities, as I understand it. There's bad frame pacing, too. So many good games to play that actually work that there's no real reason to rush into this.
You are not rewarding unfinished games. You are rewarding good new well budgeted single player game.
If you will make principle of this game and buy it later on sale... why would they make dragons dogma 3? or any other new single player game?
This isn't a game to "show em". This is a game to be rewarded and turn a blind eye for some things. We don't get this stuff too much recently. It's all either woke or gaas.
Although good example of how dd2 could've release was Armored core 6 last year. No bugs, no mtx. perfect game.

Poppyseed

You are not rewarding unfinished games. You are rewarding good new well budgeted single player game.
If you will make principle of this game and buy it later on sale... why would they make dragons dogma 3? or any other new single player game?
This isn't a game to "show em". This is a game to be rewarded and turn a blind eye for some things. We don't get this stuff too much recently. It's all either woke or gaas.
Although good example of how dd2 could've release was Armored core 6 last year. No bugs, no mtx. perfect game.

If the performance isn't consistent, I'm just not interested. Why would they make Dragon's Dogma 3, you ask? Why wouldn't they finish Dragon's Dogma 2, I'd ask in return. Armored Core 6 was a fantastic release, yes, and I rewarded the developers with a purchase at launch. I'm tired of unoptimized games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If the performance isn't consistent, I'm just not interested. Why would they make Dragon's Dogma 3, you ask? Why wouldn't they finish Dragon's Dogma 2, I'd ask in return. Armored Core 6 was a fantastic release, yes, and I rewarded the developers with a purchase at launch. I'm tired of unoptimized games.
Games are more than their performance. Otherwise Souls franchise wouldn't exists. Demons and dark souls 1 ran like trash.
And this isn't performing so bad. You have a 4090.
Anyway - you should know if you want to play the game or not but if performance is stopping you with a 4090?! you don't want to play this game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They want our money. Not the other way around. Stop acting like publishers are doing us a favor by producing games. It's a business and the relationship is purely transactional.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They want our money. Not the other way around. Stop acting like publishers are doing us a favor by producing games. It's a business and the relationship is purely transactional.
I never said otherwise but if we are to see more single player games and not woke gaas, there is no other way of showing them like buying those games... like me buying immortals of aveum and forspoken on release... I guess..... idk

Ogbert

Capcom aren’t some struggling up and comer.

This has nothing like the polish of their other titles.

Zathalus

On the one hand performance is frankly terrible. This game is not doing anything object or NPC wise that either Morrowind or Gothic 2 didn't do over 20 years ago, and both of those games ran on a Pentium 3 700Mhz.

On the other, the game is really, really good. So do you support the game to prove your love for the type of game it is, or hold off on purchase for a sale or fixes?

I can see the argument either way.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Capcom aren’t some struggling up and comer.

This has nothing like the polish of their other titles.

On the one hand performance is frankly terrible. This game is not doing anything object or NPC wise that either Morrowind or Gothic 2 didn't do over 20 years ago, and both of those games ran on a Pentium 3 700Mhz.

On the other, the game is really, really good. So do you support the game to prove your love for the type of game it is, or hold off on purchase for a sale or fixes?

it's really easy. The game is doing way more right than it does wrong.
It's just some performance stuff that ain't even so bad. It's playable and enjoyable. I am 10 hours deep on ps5 which is way lower than a 4090 and it's great fun.
Like... are you not going to watch some of best movie ever made because it's only on dvd and not bluray?! (stupid comparison lol sorry)

Senua

it's really easy. The game is doing way more right than it does wrong.
It's just some performance stuff that ain't even so bad. It's playable and enjoyable. I am 10 hours deep on ps5 which is way lower than a 4090 and it's great fun.
Like... are you not going to watch some of best movie ever made because it's only on dvd and not bluray?! (stupid comparison lol sorry)
I'll just wait for the product to be fixed and then buy it, hopefully by then it'll be cheaper too.

I love Dragon's Dogma but they released the game too early without enough optimisation.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'll just wait for the product to be fixed and then buy it, hopefully by then it'll be cheaper too.

I love Dragon's Dogma but they released the game too early without enough optimisation.
I am sorry but if that's so, they you clearly don't love Dragons dogma. Some poor performance wouldn't hold down the hype for new dragons dogma.
The game is not broken. that narrative is getting old.
Not only there will be no dragons dogma3 if people thought like this... next game is still going to be broken but also gaas.

Of course it probably already sold great so you are not changing anything but still. Just talking about a principle

Poppyseed

Games are more than their performance. Otherwise Souls franchise wouldn't exists. Demons and dark souls 1 ran like trash.
And this isn't performing so bad. You have a 4090.
Anyway - you should know if you want to play the game or not but if performance is stopping you with a 4090?! you don't want to play this game.
To be fair, part of the reason I haven’t played Bloodborne is the poor performance. I expect to get roasted for not having played it. Anyway, I do want to play DD2. I don’t desperately want to play it, but if it was a technological tour de force I would have picked it up day one. Certainly not as it is.

JaksGhost

Seems to me like that "woke" boycott has got you on the ropes and is limiting what you can and should be purchasing.

Fbh

On PC, with a decent CPU, it doesn't seem that bad outside of cities. It's not great, but it definitely seems like the good outweighs the bad so I'd just buy it.
On console personally everything without a 60fps mode (or with a shitty 60fps mode) goes on the wait for at least 40% off list.

One thing that annoys me is that gamers are FOMO bitches. By the time a patch comes out to fix shit everyone's already moved to next product. As someone who frequently plays games years late and likes to read neogafs OT my experience is COMPLETELY different from day 1.

Its kinda amusing and sad knowing that developers are basically making patches for their own sense of honour and satisfaction. They often really DO fix shit but noone will ever know.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

Fbh

One thing that annoys me is that gamers are FOMO bitches. By the time a patch comes out to fix shit everyone's already moved to next product. As someone who frequently plays games years late and likes to read neogafs OT my experience is COMPLETELY different from day 1.

Its kinda amusing and sad knowing that developers are basically making patches for their own sense of honour and satisfaction. They often really DO fix shit but noone will ever know.

These days the only reason to buy a game at launch is to show support to a specific dev, publisher or franchise.
Otherwise you are just paying a premium to play the game in the worst state it will ever be. I just bought Jedi Survivor on ps5 the other day, paid less than half of what people did at launch and I got to play it at a decent resolution (1080p-ish) and mostly 60fps (vs 680p 45 fps which is how it ran at launch)

I guess for multiplayer games you can make the argument that the community will be most active at launch and you want to learn the game with everyone else instead instead of coming in late and trying to keep up with more experienced players.
But for single player games? Almost every company (other than Nintendoa and a few others) are basically telling you to just wait 6 months.

Barakov

Gold Member
Frustrated World Cup GIF

I'll probably play it later on PC after all the issues have been ironed out.

Senua

I am sorry but if that's so, they you clearly don't love Dragons dogma. Some poor performance wouldn't hold down the hype for new dragons dogma.
The game is not broken. that narrative is getting old.
Not only there will be no dragons dogma3 if people thought like this... next game is still going to be broken but also gaas.

Of course it probably already sold great so you are not changing anything but still. Just talking about a principle
I'd rather play the game when the big performance issues are ironed out. I want the best experience, those issues would hamper by enjoyment of the game which I don't want to happen on my first play through. I'm quite happy being patient and not rewarding publishers my hard earned money for unfinished products

Poppyseed

These days the only reason to buy a game at launch is to show support to a specific dev, publisher or franchise.
Otherwise you are just paying a premium to play the game in the worst state it will ever be. I just bought Jedi Survivor on ps5 the other day, paid less than half of what people did at launch and I got to play it at a decent resolution (1080p-ish) and mostly 60fps (vs 680p 45 fps which is how it ran at launch)

I guess for multiplayer games you can make the argument that the community will be most active at launch and you want to learn the game with everyone else instead instead of coming in late and trying to keep up with more experienced players.
But for single player games? Almost every company (other than Nintendoa and a few others) are basically telling you to just wait 6 months.
Yup, I've been waiting on Jedi Survivor, too, and you can bet I definitely would have picked it up at launch if it hadn't been a right steaming pile.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
ill be waiting on the performance improvement patch on console by capcom, seems like capcom is going to improve or fix alot of things in the near future

My brand new dd2 game will be sitting on the shelf for now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am running around this dungeon in 20fps what feels like. It looks absolutely amazing lol. When you exit it, the view on the sky and sea. Wow.
But that 20fps brings me back lol. And none of it matters. I am having a good time. Warrior class got some crazy skills.

But be aware. Castle gaol of vermund is a 360 era framerate location lol. Worst in the game yet

JimboJones

That's not optimization. That's just adding menu options to cut down on workload at the cost of certain features. Capping frame-rate ironically even throws away performance, because the only way you do that is by waiting idle when you have time under cycle.

Proves my point about all these guys are is PC-Bro's who want more toggles and sliders to tinker with. That's the depth of their insight.
Jesus, what's your problem. He literally just retweeted Capcom and thought it was good there bringing options to improve the playability of the game.

Complete nonsense.
No it's a fact. Devs have always had what they call a lead platform. The game is developed and optimized primarily for that spec, in the PS2 era the lead platform was the PS2, not the Xbox nor the Gamecube but the PS2. Why? Because the PS2 was the market leader so it made the most business sense. The only time a playstation was not the lead platform for most multiplatform games was the 360 era. With the launch of the PS4 the lead platform once again became playstation.

There are some games that break this trend like Cyberpunk whose lead platform was PC but for most multiplatform AAA games this is the case because it is what's most efficient.

You should blame Microsoft for this. If they made the Series X massively more powerful this never would happen. But since the two systems are similar with each having their strengths you end up getting comparisons like this.
Yea but even the One X and Xbox(og) suffered from this despite both being way more powerful than the equivalent playstation. The 360 was closer in power to the PS3 than Xbox og was to the PS2 but because the 360 was the lead platform for most AAA games it managed to punch above it's weight vs the PS3. It's the same situation for when a playstation is the lead platform, it's all about who's the market leader in a given gen. Microsoft fucked up the moment they designed the Xbox one.

yamaci17

what are you talking about, xbox one is inferior to ps4 with its 1.3 tflops ddr3 ram weird setup. ps4 is superior to xbox one, has proper gdrr5 ram with 1.8 tflops power

also xbox one x flexed over ps4 pro in many titles, what are you talking about, what suffering ? rdr 2 is extremely blurry on ps4 pro with weird checkerboarded resolution and is a graphical masterpiece on xbox one x at native 4k/30 fps

there are tons of games that run much much better on xbox one x. i dont see any suffering with one x at all. and one suffers because it literally is the worst console out of them all

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
what are you talking about, xbox one is inferior to ps4 with its 1.3 tflops ddr3 ram weird setup. ps4 is superior to xbox one, has proper gdrr5 ram with 1.8 tflops power

also xbox one x flexed over ps4 pro in many titles, what are you talking about, what suffering ? rdr 2 is extremely blurry on ps4 pro with weird checkerboarded resolution and is a graphical masterpiece on xbox one x at native 4k/30 fps

there are tons of games that run much much better on xbox one x. i dont see any suffering with one x at all. and one suffers because it literally is the worst console out of them all
He’s talking about the first Xbox and the Xbox One X, not the Xbox One.

yamaci17

Regardless, the OG Xbox still dunked on the PS2 a lot (most) of the time despite not being a priority.
yeah apparently shrek on xbox is the first games to use deferred shading or something. quite a looker for that console

Last edited:

Mr Moose

No it's a fact. Devs have always had what they call a lead platform. The game is developed and optimized primarily for that spec, in the PS2 era the lead platform was the PS2, not the Xbox nor the Gamecube but the PS2. Why? Because the PS2 was the market leader so it made the most business sense. The only time a playstation was not the lead platform for most multiplatform games was the 360 era. With the launch of the PS4 the lead platform once again became playstation.

There are some games that break this trend like Cyberpunk whose lead platform was PC but for most multiplatform AAA games this is the case because it is what's most efficient.
One X normally had a lead in resolution it just pushed too hard for 4k and couldn't hit it properly.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Jesus, what's your problem. He literally just retweeted Capcom and thought it was good there bringing options to improve the playability of the game.

Point was QoL improvements and optimization are different things, and I'm fed up with the word being overused in discussion/criticism.
Especially by those who SHOULD know better, like DF.

I think I've explained pretty comprehensively why its unhelpful and frequently creates unrealistic expectations for what's feasible or likely to happen when a title is unexpectedly heavy.

One X normally had a lead in resolution it just pushed too hard for 4k and couldn't hit it properly.
I am aware but my point is had the One had more dev attention it would perform closer to it's theoretical performance lead just as the 4 Pro did, but it didn't because of the above. We see the same issue sometimes on PC.

No. This is like buying brand new car that is sometimes fun to drive but the AC is broken, suspension is broken, and cannot maintain motorways speeds. It CAN get you from A to B but lots of expected and standard features that SHOULD be there in a brand new car, just isn't.

Lysandros

You should blame Microsoft for this. If they made the Series X massively more powerful this never would happen. But since the two systems are similar with each having their strengths you end up getting comparisons like this.
One might as well 'blame Sony' for not making "a massively more powerful PS5" based on this logic, since both systems can be said to be slightly more powerful depending on the throughput.

In this year (so far) the compute metric where XSX is moderately ahead seems to serve it quite well actually. But of course, you won't hear 'preferential developer treatement' narratives and silly attempts at analogy using the remote PS4 PRO vs XboxOne X case much when XSX happens to offer slightly better results in particular games... So much integrity.

One X was objectively and undeniably a more powerful system in (nearly) all aspects compared to PS4 PRO and the results more than showed for it with much higher resolutions in vast majority of cases and sometimes accompanied by better performance and assets. No matter the amount of wishful thinking XSX simply isn't such a system compared to PS5. No need to cry for conspiracies when similarly specced systems offer similar results in grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

No. This is like buying brand new car that is sometimes fun to drive but the AC is broken, suspension is broken, and cannot maintain motorways speeds. It CAN get you from A to B but lots of expected and standard features that SHOULD be there in a brand new car, just isn't.

Your analogy alludes that the gameplay also has issues

No this is like getting your cock sucked by a beautiful women in an 80’s Toyota tercel. The car performances are crap, it almost stalls at every stops and takes forever to speed up, but the experience is still amazing because you’re getting sucked like no tomorrow. McLarens are passing you by but you don’t care, you’re getting one of the S tier blowjob of your life.

Your analogy alludes that the gameplay also has issues

No this is like getting your cock sucked by a beautiful women in an 80’s Toyota tercel. The car performances are crap, it almost stalls at every stops and takes forever to speed up, but the experience is still amazing because you’re getting sucked like no tomorrow. McLarens are passing you by but you don’t care, you’re getting one of the S tier blowjob of your life.
Is the game equal to the car or the women? One has nothing to do with the other. You can equate the game to either the car OR the woman. Otherwise your analogy makes no sense lol.

In mine I said the car is fun to drive (ie gameplay can be fun) and it can get you from A to B (ie it functions as a game). But it is missing key features that is expected from a brand new car such a broken AC and suspension, weak engine (ie shoddy technical performance). Simple.

Top Bottom