• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Dragon's Dogma 2 PS5/Xbox Series X/S and PC performances

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You'd hope they'll fix the XSX image issues, in which case you then get best of both worlds with VRR for the low frames and PS5 image quality. Even with VRR though, low 20's etc aint going to be good. And you'll still be suffering 30fps the majority of the time. In short, its still a shit sandwich, performance wise.

The ideal solution is a 30 FPS cap but somehow I don't see them doing that (because they want to keep the latency low).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No RT reflections on PC despite pre-release statements that it would have them. Uses crappy SSR.

No Frame Generation despite pre-release saying otherwise.

Awful image quality on Series X.

Terrible performance in towns on all platforms.

Yeah, wait for patches like I said in the other thread.
Add to that Alex complaining about main menu again and we have a full... :

whiners bingo let's go !!!!
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Denton

RTGI looks pretty good here, but overall the game still looks quite poor even compared to some lastgen titles. And that pop-in - not just for NPCs but objects too - is inexcusable.

And then there is the performance, which is just a hilarious cherry on a shitcake. Actually, performance is the frosting, microtransactions are the cherry.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
On a serious note - I am not sure what's happening. Social media, lack of people own opinions or games stagnating or not being impressive... not sure.
But I suggest revisiting original 2008 GTA 4 OT here on GAF. What an amazing thread, people anxiously awaiting the game, then sharing stories of what they did in the game, what happened when they were driving, how cool x and y was, how awesome the game looks. There are not many posts complaining about every single aspect of the game and every single technical choice rockstar made. People genuinely having fun and feeling the hype.
Social media and internet ruined us lol

vkbest

On a serious note - I am not sure what's happening. Social media, lack of people own opinions or games stagnating or not being impressive... not sure.
But I suggest revisiting original 2008 GTA 4 OT here on GAF. What an amazing thread, people anxiously awaiting the game, then sharing stories of what they did in the game, what happened when they were driving, how cool x and y was, how awesome the game looks. There are not many posts complaining about every single aspect of the game and every single technical choice rockstar made. People genuinely having fun and feeling the hype.

You can play old games if you want. You are not forced to play the new ones.

vkbest

what would that have to do with my post. I like new games lol

If you are not happy because people have new standards how games should release, you simply can ignore new games or those sites and play older games. Why I would spend $80 in a unoptimized game, simply because 10 years ago consoles were so weak you couldn't have any better? What is the point to buy new hardware to play something visually looks and plays like 10 years old game?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you are not happy because people have new standards how games should release, you simply can ignore new games or those sites and play older games. Why I would spend $80 in a unoptimized game, simply because 10 years ago consoles were so weak you couldn't have any better?
People don't have new standards. They think they do and they think they are smart. But they are idiots repeating opinions that are not their own. not from their own experience.
And don't exaggerate. You don't have to play it if your "standards" don't allow it.
I am not the stupid one here because I can have fun. you are limiting yourself with your fake gamer standards.

This doesn't look like a 10 year old game.

Stuart360

The npc's forming into existence like 10 feet in front of the player is ridiculous. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I honestly dont get what this game is doing under the hood that is taxing modern hardware so much.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That series x version. Ffs capcom, fix that ASAP 😆

Just seems like a mess across the board. I guess this is what reviewers and gamers accept

Imagine a film launching at the cinema with the green screens still in and half the effects work being done...then you wait 6 months to watch it again with the finished effects in....haha

Kings Field

People don't have new standards. They think they do and they think they are smart. But they are idiots repeating opinions that are not their own. not from their own experience.
And don't exaggerate. You don't have to play it if your "standards" don't allow it.
I am not the stupid one here because I can have fun. you are limiting yourself with your fake gamer standards.

This doesn't look like a 10 year old game.

Video games aren’t about fun, they’re serious business.

miklonus

Watching now, This game looks better than I though, I might have to change my mind and fill up the Steam Wallet and buy.

edit-Yikes, I take it back.
You live under a rock? Every thread everywhere online talks about how poorly this game is performing, among other things? And when I say "performing" I mean how it runs. No way in hell you thought this looked better than you thought.

paulyboy81

Neo Member
Checkerboarding is *clearly* broken on Xbox. I know people like to weaponise this sort of stuff in the hopes of feeling better about their little plastic box, but come on...

If it doesn't get fixed I'll be genuinely amazed.

That said I'm amazed it's happened again after the great RE4 PS5 IQ scandal of '23.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Gonna wait on this game. Maybe in a year it will get patched and modders will do their thing and it will be playable. Starfield had the same thing happen on PC. New Atlantis would run 45-55fps even on a 5800x3D. They updated it a few months later and all of the sudden it was running 70-80fps in the same areas.

LordCBH

Gonna wait on this game. Maybe in a year it will get patched and modders will do their thing and it will be playable. Starfield had the same thing happen on PC. New Atlantis would run 45-55fps even on a 5800x3D. They updated it a few months later and all of the sudden it was running 70-80fps in the same areas.

God the Starfield performance issues blew my mind considering a whopping NOTHING was going on while the performance tanked.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I have the feeling that this is going to be a game that will be enjoyed properly..... in the next generation with the timely "NextGen patch"🙃

It has technical problems that will be difficult to resolve. Improving CPU performance, NPCs appearing in your face... It's going to take time to improve something like that.

Regarding IQ in XSX, in RE4 Remake it was the opposite situation and that one had better IQ vs PS5. It is a very strange and curious situation at the same time in this regard. With Capcom you can expect everything and nothing, but it seems to me that Capcom's priority is going to be (and should be) solving other problems that are more necessary for the gaming experience than IQ on the platform with the smallest user base.

We will see in the next patches, there will be many. I hope they improve the experience.

Fbh

Will play at some point in the future when I have better hardware that can just brute force through the awful optimization.
Waited like 4 years before I got Cyberpunk, it seems like this is a game where doing the same will pay off.

If GTA4 ran at 15fps with drops to 10 every time more than 3 Ps2 era NPC's showed up I'm sure the conversation would have been different too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Will play at some point in the future when I have better hardware that can just brute force through the awful optimization.
Waited like 4 years before I got Cyberpunk, it seems like this is a game where doing the same will pay off.

If GTA4 ran at 15fps with drops to 10 every time more than 3 Ps2 era NPC's showed up I'm sure the conversation would have been different too.
dd2 drops below 30 in heavy siturations for a limited time. DF had no problem with it. More so with unlocked fps.
and yeah, gta 4 never holds 30 on 360 lol. Anyway. Whay you describe 15fps is a different story than 30 dont you think

Fbh

dd2 drops below 30 in heavy siturations for a limited time. DF had no problem with it. More so with unlocked fps.
and yeah, gta 4 never holds 30 on 360 lol. Anyway. Whay you describe 15fps is a different story than 30 dont you think

25-30fps was the norm back during the Ps3-360 gen, that's why no one complained and performance wasn't a part of the conversation. If GTA4 or any other major release performed significantly below that standard people would have complained. Games not only having no 60fps mode but also running at a horrible unlocked 30-40fps with drops below 30fps at times is no longer the norm, so people complain.
Ps5-SX came out in 2020, not 2 months ago. Standards change.

Also why is 15fps a different story?. Lots of older games ran at like 15-25fps.
Goldeneye, which I'm sure many people here LOVED back in the day, ran at like 12-25fps during single player and 10fps during split screen multiplayer. According to you since we didn't mind those framerates back then we shouldn't be bothered by them now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
25-30fps was the norm back during the Ps3-360 gen, that's why no one complained and performance wasn't a part of the conversation. If GTA4 or any other major release performed significantly below that standard people would have complained. Games not only having no 60fps mode but also running at a horrible unlocked 30-40fps with drops below 30fps at times is no longer the norm, so people complain.
Ps5-SX came out in 2020, not 2 months ago. Standards change.

Also why is 15fps a different story?. Lots of older games ran at like 15-25fps.
Goldeneye, which I'm sure many people here LOVED back in the day, ran at like 12-25fps during single player and 10fps during split screen multiplayer. According to you since we didn't mind those framerates back then we shouldn't be bothered by them now.
But that was the birth of 3d graphics. by the time of 360/ps3, 3d graphics were well established.
And yeah, goldeneye was fine even if it ran so low. Maybe it was crt displays, dunno

Zuzu

Hopefully they fix the checkboarding on the Series X. If that's done, then with VRR it'll be the best console version.

Last edited:
Summary:

Features:
- High fidelity character rendering praised
- RTGI present on console(s) * minus Series S
- Light bounce off of surfaces praised, but noted that lighting can sometimes be muted in interiors
- Very little RT noise and breakup spotted in typical viewing distance
- Shadow maps look fine but can show aliasing.
- SSR used in water bodies, SSR artifacts typical of RE engine noted but not as bad as previous games
- Geometry and assets praised.
- Camera placement and lip sync in static dialogue scenes is underwhelming

PS5 / SX:
- PS5 / SX have matching visual settings, both use checker-board
- Currently, SX has issues with image resolve with a 'fine-grid' of CB artifacts, DF hopes this will be fixed with a patch soon.
- Pixel counting on SX is difficult due to above issue, PS5 tested and noted that it CB's to 2160p
- Both have unlocked frame rate between 30~45 FPS
- NPC draw is limited to very near the player to reduce CPU draw
- Combat can see frame rate drop to mid 20s

Performance:
- SX is roughly 10% faster in performance in GPU stress areas and traversal
- When CPU limited the PS5 can have a similar FPS advantage
- SX VRR @ 120hz output with low frame-rate compensation can make the game look 'a lot more smoother' but variances in city areas are still easily present / noticeable
- PS5 does not support system-level low frame-rate compensation, unless 120hz support is specifically patched into the game, so this is not applicable here

Series S:
- Series S strips out RTGI
- Shadow resolution is lower and flickery with some texture bugs also noted in Series S
- Series S version also has the same checker-boarding issue seen in the SX version
- Same unlocked juddery frame rate with performance on-par with PS5

PC section:
- Shader pre-comp took 2 minute on Ryzen 7800
- Some instances of shader related stutter still seen in opening areas despite the pre-comp
- The stutters were still less than previous RE engine games on PC
- The PC versions menu options are unruly and hard to select with mouse
- In city areas, frame rate takes a notable dip and frame time are not consistent so it doesn't feel smooth
- DLSS support present but not perfect, small vegetation is blurred

Conclusion:
- A lot to appreciate but notable areas that could use improvement
- Series S and X checker boarding resolve issue and CPU bottlenecks need some improvement.
Wait for the patches, they'll be a few.

Zuzu

Who said it was a "bug"? Last time for RE it wasn't a bug at all. it was just better framerate with bad reconstruction or better IQ with low framerate.

Yeah, you may be right. I hope it's a bug, but maybe it's using a lower tier checkerboarding implementation due to some limitation in the GPU.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

You think people werent complaining about GTA4?
Also you think is ok for spending $70 on a game with technical issues such as low 20fps drops and NPC pop in ? MIght as well then go back to 90s when even sub 20fps was acceptable

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You think people werent complaining about GTA4?
Also you think is ok for spending $70 on a game with technical issues such as low 20fps drops and NPC pop in ? MIght as well then go back to 90s when even sub 20fps was acceptable
I know people weren’t complaining about gta4. I went back and read like 50 pages of that ot a while back. It’s pure excitement and sharing of gameplay moments. Only some complaining that it’s a bit dark.

Why are people using this fake argument than 30 belongs in the 90s?! We had 120hz crts back the. Too. I had 120hz eizo dude.
Resolutions and sizes of tv went up. Refresh rate is still refresh rate. 30 was, is and will remain playable. Oled didn’t change that. It’s still fine

Top Bottom