• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Dragon's Dogma 2 PS5/Xbox Series X/S and PC performances

Buggy Loop

uh oh

Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

Watching now, This game looks better than I though, I might have to change my mind and fill up the Steam Wallet and buy.

edit-Yikes, I take it back.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Portugeezer

Framerate caps exist for a reason. I don't know why Capcom didn't want or consider that for this game. Yes, 30fps doesn't feel as good as 60fps, but fluctuating 35 - 45fps on a 60Hz display (let's face it that is 90% of players) feels worse!

But a good game is a good game, I got my physical copy, so I can just hope they update with a 30fps option.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

Features:
- High fidelity character rendering praised
- RTGI present on console(s) * minus Series S
- Light bounce off of surfaces praised, but noted that lighting can sometimes be muted in interiors
- Very little RT noise and breakup spotted in typical viewing distance
- Shadow maps look fine but can show aliasing.
- SSR used in water bodies, SSR artifacts typical of RE engine noted but not as bad as previous games
- Geometry and assets praised.
- Camera placement and lip sync in static dialogue scenes is underwhelming

PS5 / SX:
- PS5 / SX have matching visual settings, both use checker-board
- Currently, SX has issues with image resolve with a 'fine-grid' of CB artifacts, DF hopes this will be fixed with a patch soon.
- Pixel counting on SX is difficult due to above issue, PS5 tested and noted that it CB's to 2160p
- Both have unlocked frame rate between 30~45 FPS
- NPC draw is limited to very near the player to reduce CPU draw
- Combat can see frame rate drop to mid 20s

Performance:
- SX is roughly 10% faster in performance in GPU stress areas and traversal
- When CPU limited the PS5 can have a similar FPS advantage
- SX VRR @ 120hz output with low frame-rate compensation can make the game look 'a lot more smoother' but variances in city areas are still easily present / noticeable
- PS5 does not support system-level low frame-rate compensation, unless 120hz support is specifically patched into the game, so this is not applicable here

Series S:
- Series S strips out RTGI
- Shadow resolution is lower and flickery with some texture bugs also noted in Series S
- Series S version also has the same checker-boarding issue seen in the SX version
- Same unlocked juddery frame rate with performance on-par with PS5

PC section:
- Shader pre-comp took 2 minute on Ryzen 7800
- Some instances of shader related stutter still seen in opening areas despite the pre-comp
- The stutters were still less than previous RE engine games on PC
- The PC versions menu options are unruly and hard to select with mouse
- In city areas, frame rate takes a notable dip and frame time are not consistent so it doesn't feel smooth
- DLSS support present but not perfect, small vegetation is blurred

Conclusion:
- A lot to appreciate but notable areas that could use improvement
- Series S and X checker boarding resolve issue and CPU bottlenecks need some improvement.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dudes are you mad? The graphics look great! And then the animations and physics!
Thank god they sticked with 4k (even if custom interlaced) and hiqh quality settings.
I wouldn't want then to drop everything down to ugly levels and acheive 60fps.
the only problem is lack of 30fps lock but maybe it's bitter sweet if the alternative is laggy 30fps lock. Although many times we've seen good 30fps locks like recently with rebirth or ff16.

AW2 for example dropped everything to low on ps5. no rt, no alternative to it, low resolution, pixelization in motion, very very VERY laggy controls... it played like dogshit and looked like dogshit in motion and sometimes even stationary.

I do not think consumer is always right. Devs should not listen to fools who don't have their own opinions and just regurgitate social media crap and tech sites spiell. Look what happened to ff7 rebirth? Idiots at square listened and disabled scaling for performance mode. They really thought that players want NEARES NEIGHBOR scaling because they complained so much. No. NN should never be used on 3d filtered games and consumers don't know that. They would know that if they had their own experience.
Devs should stick to their guns and do what they do best. They develop game for 4-5 years and to change something 3 months before release because twitter idiots scream is not ok.

Anyway - only problem? Lack of 30fps lock.

Last edited:
About the bad IQ on Series X. How do know they is should be resolved?
It's a really disappointing issue and should be resolved as soon as possible
Something going on with that Series X resolution, its not near as clear as PS5s

Plus who thought that NPC draw distance of what 3" before popping in was a good idea?

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office
Xbox (and PC) don't have dedicated hardware to do CBR rendering. It's working as expected on PC and Xbox just without ID Buffer and without Sony's APIs. This is something DF will never admit though the same way they never admit lack of dedicated I/O on PC make those I/O heavy Sony games suddently "CPU limited with bad optimization."

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So theoretically, would the allegedly upcoming PS5 Pro benefit this game without Capcom needing to patch it considering this?

Since the game is mainly CPU limited and the Pro won't have a substantially faster CPU, no. Unless a lot of that is due to RT, which the Pro might help offload due to better RT hardware. But it seems it's mostly due to NPC simulation in towns and such, so probably not.

Last edited:

RaduN

Framerate caps exist for a reason. I don't know why Capcom didn't want or consider that for this game. Yes, 30fps doesn't feel as good as 60fps, but fluctuating 35 - 45fps on a 60Hz display (let's face it that is 90% of players) feels worse!

But a good game is a good game, I got my physical copy, so I can just hope they update with a 30fps option.
Input latency.

Killer8

I will wait and see what patches can do.

For people defending the state of the game - no one can claim to know exactly why it is running worse than expected. You aren't the developer. It could just be very taxing on the CPU. But, it could also be poorly optimized too. I remember last time people defended Starfield's performance to high heaven, only for some patches to come out and improve performance significantly. If there is room for improvement then obviously there was some additional optimization required.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No RT reflections on PC despite pre-release statements that it would have them. Uses crappy SSR.

No Frame Generation despite pre-release saying otherwise.

Awful image quality on Series X.

Terrible performance in towns on all platforms.

Yeah, wait for patches like I said in the other thread.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was different. They traded IQ for better framerate and situation was reversed.

The patch introduced streaming issues and worse IQ all around on SX which was reversed. The point being that Capcom have had similar IQ related issues in RE engine games that they have patched shortly.

yamaci17

No RT reflections on PC despite pre-release statements that it would have them. Uses crappy SSR.

No Frame Generation despite pre-release saying otherwise.

Awful image quality on Series X.

Terrible performance in towns on all platforms.

Yeah, wait for patches like I said in the other thread.
it is so funny too. they use all those CPU cycles for BVH structure, do all the ray tracing for global illumination and somehow omit ray traced reflections

enabling ray traced reflections in witcher 3 on top of ray traced global illumination did not even impact performance in any serious way. because at that point GI is doing the heavy lifting and reflections can just benefit from that alone

King Dazzar

The patch introduced streaming issues and worse IQ all around on SX which was reversed. The point being that Capcom have had similar IQ related issues in RE engine games that they have patched shortly.
You'd hope they'll fix the XSX image issues, in which case you then get best of both worlds with VRR for the low frames and PS5 image quality. Even with VRR though, low 20's etc aint going to be good. And you'll still be suffering 30fps the majority of the time. In short, its still a shit sandwich, performance wise.

Top Bottom