• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Image Quality + Performance Tests

NEbeast

After seeing raytracing in ratchet and people realising how good it is. I can't wait for the ps5 to get vrr and more people get tvs that support it so they can see how good it is.
The thing is you don't need a VRR tv for R&C. Clearly Sony devs are much better at optimizing games to be a a stable 60fps. I hope more devs take that approach. In a few years they can rely on VRR when it's more common.

Zathalus

The thing is you don't need a VRR tv for R&C. Clearly Sony devs are much better at optimizing games to be a a stable 60fps. I hope more devs take that approach. In a few years they can rely on VRR when it's more common.
R&C is not a perfect 60fps, it has sections that drop to the low 50s. VRR would of course help with that. Returnal for that matter also has sections that drop to the low 50s.

Metro Exodus EE actually has less severe drops than both of the above games.

I still don't quite understand how we can keep having games where Xbox averages slightly higher resolution but the PS5 average slightly more consistent FPS.

You'd assume the DRS would simply scale down resolution to get a locked framerate if it has enough performance to get those higher resolutions right? Or they've just incorrectly set the DRS?

If it's the former, you do wonder if there's something at OS level that's causing it perhaps. How isolated are the parts of the system dedicated to the OS from the rest of the system dedicated to running the game? Is there a performance cost to having Quick Resume etc. What about an issue related to the SSD? Or could it just be a consequence to the set up of each systems GPU?
They are 2 different approaches I think series x has no problem in high resolutions/ compute but has some trouble in rasterization, scenarios where you have more alpha textures on screen particles, enemies, triangles that appear suddenly and this problems are less on ps5 due to how it manages data, caches and its high clocks.

But this can all be speculation its why I want to compare fully nextgen games and not this enhanced, bc or.crossgen games because they have variable.performances some have higher fps higher res on ps5 some are similar some are better on series x, crossgen games are very deceiving weve witnessed this already on how they patched valhalla on series x how star wars initially had lower res on ps5 but now has the same res and performance as series x how warzone didnt have a 120fps mode on ps5 and now has it. So bc,crossgen games are all a bunch of bandaged plastered complex games that dont show the full hardware performance on this machines

NEbeast

R&C is not a perfect 60fps, it has sections that drop to the low 50s. VRR would of course help with that. Returnal for that matter also has sections that drop to the low 50s.

Ofc it's not perfect 60 but it's as close as you would want it. Where are these 50s at, they must be uncommon as all the videos I watched say it's pretty much solid 60 fps. Either way, vrr is coming so that won't be an excuse/advantage before long.

Last edited:

Nope the playstation only games dont drop as more often as multiplat games even since ps4. This is because devs only focus on.one platform

You all should wait for more accurate results from VGTech or NXGamer. There are some serious omission of actual hard data, most of the statements are actually approximations or guesses.

We need minimum resolution on PS5 (not a guess), framerate average, cutscenes framerate comparison (why didn't he do those when there are plenty of demanding cutscenes), etc.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
On Xbox Series X, the rare minimums were in the region of 1080p - PlayStation 5 will dip lower at the highest stress points. In terms of typical resolutions in the open world, the Sony machine operates between 1296p and 1512p, while Series X runs in similar scenarios at 1512p to 1728p. In essence, PlayStation 5 is usually a little softer, with circa 80 per cent of Xbox Series X's throughput.
1080p vs 900p?
what-year-is-this.jpg

Dr Bass

If you look at the minimum resolutions mentioned and assuming there is no other form of drs:

PS5: 1296p = 2304x1296 resolution = 2,985,984 pixels
XSX: 1512p = 2688x1512 resolution = 4,064,256 pixels

That's a 36.1% difference in pixels. We are getting close to the actual "absolute win goalpost".

PS5 dropping to 1296p (and apparently even lower) this early in the first year of the gen is really a matter of grave concern imo.

Edit: XSX will win this one unless their average framerate is lower than 60 * (1/1.36) = 44.08 fps

Yeah, it's not. If you've played Demon's Souls or Ratchet and Clank, you aren't worried in the slightest about the PS5. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

PS5 has black crush, gamma issues, sub-1080p resolution at times and slower loading times. The only advantage is a few extra frames you barely will notice, while everything else is something you will notice immediately. Also no VRR support at this time so you are stuck with the framerate drops.
The black crush on PS5 is interesting. There was a section in the video where John talked about the hoops he had to jump through to even get the gamma slider on the PS5 version to even work. The gamma on the XSX and PC were much closer than the PS5. For a game that can be dark at times I'd hate to lose details in the shadows. I'm thinking the PS5 version is bugged I believe we've seen that in a few other games too.

BigLee74

So it’s becoming pretty clear.

If the res is the same, Xbox should maintain a slightly better frame rate.

Devs up the Xbox resolution though (enough to make it a reasonable difference), at the cost of a little frame rate. They obviously feel that the frame rate is not significantly impacted to be noticeable in game.

In summary, it looks like the Xbox, in most games, has that 18% advantage as first calculated.

Conversely, as predicted by many, this amounts to almost no meaningful difference in game.

Enjoy your game everyone!

this reads like someone in 4th grade would talk to his friends and act like he knows his shit while totally making shit up to impress them
And you sound like a salty toddler who doesnt want to understand that too much sugar is bad n keeps crying for candy.. wake up and smell the coffee games made for a specific platform always look and perform better than games made for multiple platforms because optimization is harder when your making a game that has to run from a ps4/5 to series s/x and pc. If you dont understand this concept then your simply ignorant.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
In terms of brightness/black levels, I don't think you you can really trust what's being shown there, I haven't tried the ps5 version bit I played the series x version last night and it doesn't look as washed out as the df video. If anything it looked the a good, proper balance between the two......in other words, just about right. It looked fantastic overall, I was a very happy camper.

MonarchJT

Banned
att his point we know that for the rest of the gen will be like this ...multiplayer games will be little better on xsx . The hw differences start to show also not using vrs mesh shaders and SFS. at the end of the generation it will be interesting to see what differences we have when they take full advantage of the rdna2 GPUs

Last edited:
PS5 has black crush, gamma issues, sub-1080p resolution at times and slower loading times. The only advantage is a few extra frames you barely will notice, while everything else is something you will notice immediately. Also no VRR support at this time so you are stuck with the framerate drops.

Series X has faster load times, proper gamma and no black crush, no sub 1080p resolutions with a 20% advantage in resolution at all times and faster loading times. It has framerate drops similar to PS5 but more frequent but the console has VRR support to make those drops irrelevant.

Pretty clear here that the Series X version is the better one and if you have a VRR display then you’re laughing.
Another win for Xbox Series X version, but not surprising.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like they did a nice gamma correction on PS5.
It doesn't look too brighter like PC.

BTW.

A cut and dried Xbox Series X advantage is mitigated a little when it comes to the matter of performance, where I generally found PlayStation 5 to have a significant advantage in locking to 60 frames per second. Sony's new console delivers a Metro Exodus experience that's super-smooth in combat, and equally robust in traversing the open world. Similar to Xbox Series X, there can be the odd one-frame drop, but where I found PS5 smoother is in areas where I saw some significant stutter on the Microsoft machine. Quite why the Xbox version has this issue isn't immediately clear, but I'd hope to see this addressed by the developer as there's little evidence that it's directly caused by GPU load.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Ofc it's not perfect 60 but it's as close as you would want it. Where are these 50s at, they must be uncommon as all the videos I watched say it's pretty much solid 69 fps. Either way, vrr is coming so that won't be an excuse/advantage before long.
Nope the playstation only games dont drop as more often as multiplat games even since ps4. This is because devs only focus on.one platform

Drops to 54 FPS with R&C and Returnal drops to 46 FPS. R&C stays very close to the target of 60 FPS, but Returnal can have some annoying drops in combat that would be largely eliminated with VRR.

Yes, Sony 1st party generally sticks to the frame targets very well, but they hardly the only studio to do so. Resident Evil Village non-RT mode is a flawless 60FPS on both consoles for example, not even a drop to 59 FPS in sight.

You all should wait for more accurate results from VGTech or NXGamer. There are some serious omission of actual hard data, most of the statements are actually approximations or guesses.

We need minimum resolution on PS5 (not a guess), framerate average, cutscenes framerate comparison (why didn't he do those when there are plenty of demanding cutscenes), etc.
They are not guessing the numbers they have given, they compared like for like and used a range from what they pixel counted, just as VGTech or NXGamer do. VGTech is not perfect either, in the Mass Effect Legendary Edition comparison they completely skipped Mass Effect 2+3, and especially on 3 the PS5 has some severe framedrops. And "average" FPS is a poor measurement of a games performance, RE8 for example had an average FPS of 57.35fps vs 58.73fps, so that seems almost the same right? Expect in stress areas that gap widens to over 15% at times, which has a notable impact on the feel of the game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Another example of MS pushing for res at the expense of frame rate? Could just be two teams inside the studio too.

assurdum

Banned

The thing I don't understand with what "courage" Alex claimed ps5 should run at lower resolution than 1080p just because on series X stay at 1080 in some spots.I mean, for real? We presume now in a tech analysis? The hell he has to do of more important to make a proper complete analysis, maybe save life? :messenger_hushed: Because from what I remind other game with higher average resolution with DRS keep the same minimum resolution on both hardware. You can't just presume, you have to check to make a tech statement.

Last edited:
1080p vs 900p?
what-year-is-this.jpg

Actually, PS5 never drops below 1000p. Lowest is 1015p actually.

Another win for Xbox Series X version, but not surprising.

Ah, VRR excuse. Sure. Everyone loves VRR excuse. So, what is the excuse for higher CUs count on XSX GPU and almost 2 TF which is sooo important for RT performance, yet it performs worse than PS5 and stutters like crap?

Last edited:

NEbeast

Drops to 54 FPS with R&C and Returnal drops to 46 FPS. R&C stays very close to the target of 60 FPS, but Returnal can have some annoying drops in combat that would be largely eliminated with VRR.

Yes, Sony 1st party generally sticks to the frame targets very well, but they hardly the only studio to do so. Resident Evil Village non-RT mode is a flawless 60FPS on both consoles for example, not even a drop to 59 FPS in sight.

They are not guessing the numbers they have given, they compared like for like and used a range from what they pixel counted, just as VGTech or NXGamer do. VGTech is not perfect either, in the Mass Effect Legendary Edition comparison they completely skipped Mass Effect 2+3, and especially on 3 the PS5 has some severe framedrops. And "average" FPS is a poor measurement of a games performance, RE8 for example had an average FPS of 57.35fps vs 58.73fps, so that seems almost the same right? Expect in stress areas that gap widens to over 15% at times, which has a notable impact on the feel of the game.

Thanks for the videos. I guess returnal not being a first party game you can forgive it. Especially considering this is their first foray into AAA territory. The ps5 will have VRR soon but I'm still hoping devs will not rely on it so much, maybe only in the RT mode? Hdmi 2.1 tvs just aren't that common right now, you're giving the majority of your potential player base a bad experience (depending how bad it is). I get it though, it's the new 4k , these companies will push the new technology.

Last edited:

Im not saying exclusives dont drop frames I say they generally stick to the frame rates than multiplats, and resident evil is a ps4 game with enhanced features like raytracing on nextgen so it wont give ps5 any trouble with raytracing off similar to all other bc games.

Stuart360

I do wonder though, how good is VRR before it stops feeling smooth? As in how low does the fps how to drop before it becomes not a good experience.

Maybe games could implement a VRR mode on series x & ps5 (it is still getting VRR in the future right?) , where they maybe push things just that little bit further.
But ONLY if VRR keeps the experience smooth.

How would you guys feel about this?
John said a while ago in another vid that when framerate gets down to around 45fps, thats when VRR stops smoothing it out properly.

Actually, PS5 never drops below 1000p

Ah, VRR excuse. Sure. Everyone loves VRR excuse. So, what is the excuse for higher CUs count on XSX GPU and almost 2 TF which is sooo important for RT performance, yet it performs worse than PS5 and stutters like crap?
Devs up the Xbox resolution though (enough to make it a reasonable difference), at the cost of a little frame rate. They obviously feel that the frame rate is not significantly impacted to be noticeable in game. Only something like digital foundry tools can catch. While it is clear as day which game looks better and VRR isn't an excuse its a standard for hardcore gamers.

MonarchJT

Banned
The thing I don't understand how Alex can presume ps5 should run at lower resolution than 1080p when on series X it's 1080. For real? It's reasonable presume in a tech analysis? The hell he has to do of more important to make a proper complete analysis, maybe save life? :messenger_hushed: I can say I find reasonable he should dedicate more time to check it indeed to presume?
because only the fanboys still haven't understood that the PS5 is less powerful than the xsx. and if the xsx goes to 1080p it is very, very likely that the PS5 will be under that

While it is clear as day which game looks better and VRR isn't an excuse its a standard for hardcore gamers.
It is an excuse here when XSX version of the game performs worse than PS5 version, which is actually this game. Worse framerate and stuttering on Xbox consoles. Also, vast majority of people doesn't have VRR TVs. DF, NXG, VGTech are analysing games how they are made, not with some stuff which vast majority of people doesn't have.

Zathalus

Actually, PS5 never drops below 1000p

5% performance difference in one scene for the PS5, 5% performance difference in another scene for the XSX. Both stutter in traversal, with it being more pronounced on the XSX.

25%-36% resolution advantage for the XSX though, so even if performance is equalised, the XSX is still offering over 20% more pixels then the PS5. Close to the 18% TFLOP difference between the two systems.

Stuart360

I love the people saying they prefer the darker look of PS5. We just left a full gen when Xbox versions were more often than not darker with crushed blacks, and boy you got it bad on here if you dared to say you preffered the gamma on XB1/OneX.
You cant have it both ways .

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
because only the fanboys still haven't understood that the PS5 is less powerful than the xsx. and if the xsx goes to 1080p it is very, very likely that the PS5 will be under that
I don't talk of what it's likely I want to hear what is it tech wise. I don't care of the fanboy chats about the more powerful piece of plastic because I'm not affected to the Freudian complex of the tiny penis.

Last edited:
It is an excuse here when XSX version of the game performs worse than PS5 version, which is actually this game. Worse framerate and stuttering on Xbox consoles. Also, vast majority of people doesn't have VRR TVs. DF, NXG, VGTech are analysing games how they are made, not with some stuff which vast majority of people doesn't have.
1 to 2 fps difference vs 20% higher resolution. Noticed I didn't talk about load times which is slightly better on xbox. The reason is few frames or few seconds of load time doesn't mean much but much better resolution does for sure. Also, the vast majority of people don't have a PS5 to begin with, but as time goes forward both vrr and ps5 will become more popular so your point is moot.

What the fuck is 1015p?
BountifulHarshEmeraldtreeskink-size_restricted.gif

Sub 1080p

Ask Alex then.
5% performance difference in one scene for the PS5, 5% performance difference in another scene for the XSX. Both stutter in traversal, with it being more pronounced on the XSX.

25%-36% resolution advantage for the XSX though, so even if performance is equalised, the XSX is still offering over 20% more pixels then the PS5. Close to the 18% TFLOP difference between the two systems.

Nope. People claimed that almost 2TF advantage and higher bandwidth speed paired with "much better" CPU is enough for XSX to have advantage in graphical, resolution and framerate segment in games at the same time.

VRR is available on the console. It's worth mentioning regardless of your TV supports it or not.
I don't talk of what it's likely I want to hear what is it tech wise. I don't care of the fanboy chats about the more powerful piece of plastic because I'm not affected to the Freudian complex of the tiny penis.
We will never have world peace until small penis' are no longer mocked.

1 to 2 fps difference vs 20% higher resolution. Noticed I didn't talk about load times which is slightly better on xbox. The reason is few frames or few seconds of load time doesn't mean much but much better resolution does for sure. Also, the vast majority of people don't have a PS5 to begin with, but as time goes forward both vrr and ps5 will become more popular so your point is moot.

You ignoring stuttering mess on Xbox. And the vast majority doesn't have Xbox at all. So, your point is moot too. Actually talking about VRR even if PS5 will have is moot, because like i've said : DF, NXG, VGTech are analysing games how they are made, not with some stuff which vast majority of people doesn't have.
Yes, VRR is an excuse, one way or another. DF, NXG and VGTech don't bitchint about VRR. And why should they.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It's really unbelievable how now is became important higher resolution in DRS over the performance. The point of DRS is not higher resolution. But still.

Last edited:
VRR is available on the console. It's worth mentioning regardless of your TV supports it or not.

LOL. Looks like it is not important to DF, NXG and VGTech. Wonder why? Oh, i know why, games are tested how they are made and published. Game analysts don't care about VRR.

Last edited:
Actually, PS5 never drops below 1000p. Lowest is 1015p actually.

It doesn't perform worse, it pushes up to 30% more pixels. VRR helps mitigate the minor frame drops, so you have a high resolution and a silky smooth frame rate. A perfect experience.

assurdum

Banned

I'm not mocked small penis. Have the complex of the small penis not necessarily implies a small one, it's just the convinction to have it which is reflected in every discourse about to have at all costs something of bigger, better and so on compared your antagonist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom