• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know PS5 Pro is coming but I think game development in the second half of this generation will be in PS5 favor vs Xbox Series X

onQ123

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show
You say no shit but there was a time when people thought Series X would start to flex it's 12tf of muscle as the generation moved on

onQ123

Teraflops will continue to be irrelevant. I think we've learned that lesson in spades.
It's not irrelevant . It's just not the end all be all when it comes to console specs .

But still Series X has some other small advantages & with games being made on mutual grounds we will still have toss-ups but with MS giving up on Series X & jumping to next generation 3rd parties will probably start to push PS5 strengths more especially with newer PCs having faster I/O & the next Xbox most likely having faster I/O.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You think devs started off this generation pushing games that will run terrible on PS4 , low end PCs , Xbox One & Xbox Series consoles just to take advantage of PS5 higher I/O bandwidth?
None of that answers my questions.

And yes, teraflops are irrelevant. Stuff like Bandwidth, Cores, RAM (size/speed), and TUs are far more important to a discussion on power. Teraflops are theoretical and hardly meaningful in a discussion on measurable power.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's not irrelevant . It's just not the end all be all when it comes to console specs .

But still Series X has some other small advantages & with games being made on mutual grounds we will still have toss-ups but with MS giving up on Series X & jumping to next generation 3rd parties will probably start to push PS5 strengths more especially with newer PCs having faster I/O & the next Xbox most likely having faster I/O.

When we still need DF to tell us the difference.....yeah, it's irrelevant.

Yes it did. All 3rd party games have been made on mutual grounds so far
There is always a lead platform, and we've seen multiple times this gen that the lead platform has performed better despite the spec disadvantage.

Spec advantages mean nothing when the other console sells 4x more and you spend more time on that version.

onQ123

When we still need DF to tell us the difference.....yeah, it's irrelevant.
I'm the person who said it would be that way but if devs made games that called for more compute things would come out better for Xbox Series X is most cases ( not completely because sometimes the higher clocks still give PS5 an advantage even in compute)

4iyEgi4.png

onQ123

There is always a lead platform, and we've seen multiple times this gen that the lead platform has performed better despite the spec disadvantage.

Spec advantages mean nothing when the other console sells 4x more and you spend more time on that version.
What if I told you that it's Xbox Series Consoles that's been taking up most of the devs time?

Topher

Gold Member
I'm the person who said it would be that way but if devs made games that called for more compute things would come out better for Xbox Series X is most cases ( not completely because sometimes the higher clocks still give PS5 an advantage even in compute)

4iyEgi4.png

Has nothing to do with what I said.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The platform with the bigger marketshare would generally be targeted as the lead platform, which is the PS5.

It's not even the weekend O onQ123 , too early to start making drunk threads.

eNT1TY

The ps5 was already lead platform after ps4 relinquished that role, that's why it keeps up and maintains relative parity with the series X performance wise; the pendulum leaned that way from the beginning. The X has had to brute-force the difference right out of the gate.

RaySoft

PS5 & Xbox Series X both have their strengths & weaknesses so the outcome will always depend on the games. With that said I think things are about to move heavily in PS5 favor moving forward .

The shackles of Cross Gen are finally coming off but the chances of developers focusing on Series X strengths keep getting slimer & PS5 has the user base to support developer's ambitions.

See you all in a few years when I quote this post
That could be the way yes, but I'm afraid Sony sold out their PS5 SSD bandwith advantage for doing PC ports. Decisions were done at HQ. Mark Cerny's hardware potential were left at the altar of DirectX. This is why we can't have nice things.

Topher

Gold Member
That could be the way yes, but I'm afraid Sony sold out their PS5 SSD bandwith advantage for doing PC ports. Decisions were done at HQ. Mark Cerny's hardware potential were left at the altar of DirectX. This is why we can't have nice things.

Didn't really turn out to be much of an advantage, but what does PC ports have to do with SSD bandwidth on PS5?

onQ123

PCIe 5.0 is here to save the day

onQ123

Didn't really turn out to be much of an advantage, but what does PC ports have to do with SSD bandwidth on PS5?
Basically if they want to sell the game on more devices they can't go too crazy with the bandwidth requirement.

But PC have Main RAM that can be used even if they don't have a SSD with 5GB/s

Topher

Gold Member
Basically if they want to sell the game on more devices they can't go too crazy with the bandwidth requirement.

But PC have Main RAM that can be used even if they don't have a SSD with 5GB/s

That isn't what I asked though. How is PS5's bandwidth (not other devices, just PS5) affected at all by PC ports?

onQ123

The ps5 was already lead platform after ps4 relinquished that role, that's why it keeps up and maintains relative parity with the series X performance wise; the pendulum leaned that way from the beginning. The X has had to brute-force the difference right out of the gate.
So why are games built for Series X ending up with advantages when ported to PS5 ?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nah, both are pretty similar and both are pretty easy to max out. The ps5 pro on the other hand we will see some nice things on.

onQ123

Nah, both are pretty similar and both are pretty easy to max out. The ps5 pro on the other hand we will see some nice things on.
Kinda , maybe , sort of but let's see how things play out over the next few years

I'm thinking we will get a PS3 like ending when games actually started to need the Blu-ray but this time it will be games actually needing the bandwidth.

Hudo

PS5 & Xbox Series X both have their strengths & weaknesses so the outcome will always depend on the games. With that said I think things are about to move heavily in PS5 favor moving forward .

The shackles of Cross Gen are finally coming off but the chances of developers focusing on Series X strengths keep getting slimer & PS5 has the user base to support developer's ambitions.

See you all in a few years when I quote this post
Wake me up when Sony make a new Motorstorm, Wipeout, Resistance, unfuck God of War and let someone else at Naughty Dog direct and write a game.

Top Bottom