• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control on PS5 Tech Review

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
This is disappointing.

He also continues right after this to explain that Far Object LOD on PS5 is lower than PC's Low. I also still don't understand why console versions of games always get shafted on the texture filtering even though that barely affects performance and improves the image dramatically. AF 16x has been a thing since like 2000-2001 and NG consoles still use 4x or 8x AF at best

I have seen this game run at 1440p/Ultra/avg of 60 (or close to) on a PC that is pretty comparable to a PS5/Series X. I am having a hard time understanding why NG consoles (assuming XsX has these same settings) can't do better.

Look at the difference in shadows here

hvE8HjU.png

I am a little bit letdown with this one. Oh well.

I still love the game, and can't wait to Plat it this week. Still a great offering for free on PSN+
Those additional shadows are an example of the raytraced shadows setting.

sncvsrtoip

This is disappointing.

He also continues right after this to explain that Far Object LOD on PS5 is lower than PC's Low. I also still don't understand why console versions of games always get shafted on the texture filtering even though that barely affects performance and improves the image dramatically. AF 16x has been a thing since like 2000-2001 and NG consoles still use 4x or 8x AF at best

I have seen this game run at 1440p/Ultra/avg of 60 (or close to) on a PC that is pretty comparable to a PS5/Series X. I am having a hard time understanding why NG consoles (assuming XsX has these same settings) can't do better.

I still love the game, and can't wait to Plat it this week. Still a great offering for free on PSN+
nope, according to techpowetrup rx5700xt in 1440p is on avarage 42 fps so dips to 30ish probably, rtx2060super with rt and high setting avarage 23fps in 1440p

Last edited:

kyliethicc

This is disappointing.

hvE8HjU.png

Those are ray traced shadows and aren't on PS5, only on PC.

Settings are as expected for this. The game is super demanding and if it weren't for DLSS you'd be rocking the same settings on a 2070 as that card drops into the mid 30s without DLSS at 1440p (with no RT as well). It's just nice to see that the performance mode is mostly stable with a few issues here and there.

It's a PC game first and foremost. Nothing "last gen" about it.

1440.png

If a 2070 Super can do 51.1 avg with settings maxed, I would have thought the PS5/XsX could do 1440/medium/60 (or at least higher settings in the 30 mode, even with RT). I didn't expect Low/Off/Lower than low

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
This is disappointing.

hvE8HjU.png

1- Because lack on bandwidth.

2- Because it is almost certainly a very bad port.

sncvsrtoip

1440.png

If a 2070 Super can do 51.1 avg with settings maxed, I would have thought the PS5/XsX could do 1440/medium/60. I didn't expect Low/Off/Lower than low
its avarage, avarage on ps5 would be probably close to 70 with uncapped fps 1440p, also its just naming, watch df video and visual difference vs high pc settings are mostly subtle btw best comparing to 5700xt, only 43fps here

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1.8x pixel difference and 2x fps vs ps4 pro is impressive, also remedy chose settings quite clever as game looks good comparing to high settings on pc and zooming is necessary in most scenes to catch difference
Looking at the frame budget, we are looking at a 3.6x improvement over the 4.2 tflops PS4 Pro GPU. The PS5 is 10.2 tflops so the difference in power between the is 2.4x. I guess the Pro GPU was getting bottlenecked by the jaguar CPUs.

FireFly

Because it is incomplete lacking several platforms?
I thought it was obvious... rushed to get the early clicks.

BTW there is not "findings" in the video lol

Edit - They even had and played the others versions but choose the lol
Did you watch the video? Tom is handling the other platforms and his video will be up shortly. I presume that Alex's video finished processing first.

martino

All of this is precisely why it's unoptimized crap. Try running this turd on a maxwell card. PC philistines are no better than any console zealot and will defend anything lol.

It's just not visually pleasing and is far too resource heavy for its graphical return. This and Quantum break have this temporally unstable (ghosting), sterile and repetitive look with a greenish piss filter layered on top. Artistically as well, not good. Technically, we can compare it to RE engine games which run orders of magnitude faster on comparable PC hardware.

Keep fighting the good fight, warriors on all sides haha.
they are not really comparable and the level of interactivity, the thing video game could be about, they try to give in their world is not the same...
One is standard you find in most game the other is pushing boundaries there and it has a cost.
This is disappointing.

He also continues right after this to explain that Far Object LOD on PS5 is lower than PC's Low

I have seen this game run at 1440p/Ultra/near 60 on a PC that is pretty coimparable to a PS5/Series X. I am having a hard time understanding why NG consoles (assuming XsX has these same settings) can't do better.

hvE8HjU.png

Diminishing returns....removing contact shadows is diminishing returns and not visible without a 800x zoom ... /s

sncvsrtoip

Looking at the frame budget, we are looking at a 3.6x improvement over the 4.2 tflops PS4 Pro GPU. The PS5 is 10.2 tflops so the difference in power between the is 2.4x. I guess the Pro GPU was getting bottlenecked by the jaguar CPUs.
for sure cpu make difference here

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
its avarage, avarage on ps5 would be probably close to 70 with uncapped fps 1440p, also its just naming, watch df video and visual difference vs high pc settings are mostly subtle
But not subtle in performance. Especially the RT effects.

Ok. I will tell you what you want to hear. Its the developers fault not that AMD GPU.
fault sounds always so accusing. they already stated the lack of savegame porting to next gen as is because they are a small dev.
PS5s API is a very hard low level API and they almost certainly did not opt for it out of the same reason.
instead the used the high level "wrapper" API wich is similar to direct x .
easy to develop for but you dont use hardware efficiently.
it would be a big miracle if they leveraged the low lvl API so early in the cross gen Phase...
still disappointing though..
lets see what the comming patches bring..

Last edited:
If a 2070 Super can do 51.1 avg with settings maxed, I would have thought the PS5/XsX could do 1440/medium/60. I didn't expect Low/Off/Lower than low
You are looking at average FPS there. 2070S crashes down into mid 40s. A 2080ti mid 50s if you look at their 99.8 percentile performance. PS5 could easily push higher settings, but what’s the point when the game dips into the 30s during combat?

You’d need to run the game at mid preset to get a stable 60fps on these cards, or at 1080p or use DLSS.
sp6xsHK.jpg

The only thing I find weird is texture quality and filtering. This surely can go higher than medium and low.

Last edited:
Too early in the morning for me, shoulda waited until I posted in here. I stand by my thoughts, though. I am disappointed. I explain why. That's just me.

I never said PS5 should be able to run the game on Ultra, but Low/Off/Lower than low? I am sorry, I don't see why medium settings were out of the question, especially with textures and texture filtering

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
yeah, 22fps on 2060super in high settings with high rt 1440p, remedy for sure didn't want to target 22fps avarage with drops to below 20 on ps5 ;)
Those 22fps are with all RT effects. PS5 only has reflections. imagine if it had all effects. 10-fps PS2 Shadow of the Colossus GOTY.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is disappointing.

hvE8HjU.png

edit

1440.png

I am sorry, but if a 2070 Super can do 51 avg at Ultra, I don't understand why PS5 (and assuming XsX as well) can't do better than Low/Off/Lower than low at either 30 (with RT), or 60 (without RT). Should 16x AF and High textures really be out of reach on either console? I had my roommate boot the game up on his 3060 Ti and he is averaging around 70 FPS at 1440p/Ultra (no RT), native resolution. Yes, a 3060 Ti is better than XsX and PS5 GPU but by how much, like 15 percent maybe?
The shadow on the pipe on the ceiling and the background door basically looks the same, but the big turning thing has zero shadows(?). Literally zero.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Settings aside, Control is a really good game. Though I prefer to play it on M&KB, playing it on a big screen has it's merits as well. I still think they should introduce different modes. Let the player choose RT on or off and adjust the output resolution at least. I prefer this at 1080p 120fps+.

These consoles are starting to show their limitations it seems already. I'm lucky enough to have not jumped in just yet, and it's possible these consoles will start to improve dramatically when developers shift to next gen engines. At the moment though I very well may just build a new PC, 3060ti should outperform both these consoles readily.

Fake

Another example IMO why ray tracing is wasted on these consoles. I can run Control at max settings at 60fps. Granted i'm not using RT as i have a 980ti, but the 980ti is also only about 60% of PS5's gpu.

Disagree. I know RT is taxing, but is need to have optimization on console market, so is a matter of will be well implemented or not. In this case I believe is not.

Everyone knows that this game is a resources hog. But damn, settings are like limbo masters dancing under the lowest bar (settings) possible.

I have been thinking for a while that the PS5 would win by a nose on this one. Fuck me if true, what are the XsX settings gonna be

Alex mentions that Tom's comparison vid is dropping soon. Curious to see if the settings are the same on both

I very well may just build a new PC, 3060ti should outperform both these consoles readily.

3060 Ti is a pretty great value for 1080p and 1440p gaming, especially if you can still get one for 400 bucks. I am watching Control average 68-70ish FPS on 1440p Ultra and 49ish FPS on 1440p/Ultra/RT reflections on my roommates 3060 Ti. This is without DLSS and every other graphical setting maxed out

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Those 22fps are with all RT effects. PS5 only has reflections. imagine if it had all effects. 10-fps PS2 Shadow of the Colossus GOTY.
Side topic about Colossus.

Every website gave that game great marks. Absolute paid off BS.

I bought it, put in my PS2 and it ran so bad I thought my PS2 was overheating and bricking. Rebooted the game a few times thinking it's a glitch, but nope. The FPS was that bad. Must had been 20 fps tops. Maybe less.

sncvsrtoip

Good, but still medium/low settings on last gen assets/effects. I am almost sure the PS5 could do much better for everything but the RT effects.
again, we see performance on 5700xt which is similar to ps5 perf without rt and its 40ish on higher settings in 1440p and remedy didn't want to target 40ish in performance mode, not hard to understand

Last edited:

Stuart360

Disagree. I know RT is taxing, but is need to have optimization on console market, so is a matter of will be well implemented or not. In this case I believe is not.
Well i actually said that post before watching the vid, i didnt even realize the RT mode was 30fps, i thought it was 60fps, which makes it even worse imo.
I mean would people really pick the 30fps RT mode over 60fps in this game?.

kyliethicc

Too early in the morning for me, shoulda waited until I posted in here. I stand by my thoughts, though. I am disappointed. I explain why. That's just me.

I never said PS5 should be able to run the game on Ultra, but Low/Off/Lower than low? I am sorry, I don't see why medium settings were out of the question, especially with textures and texture filtering
You likely would never even know which settings are on low or high until the dev tells you.

If you care that much, buy a high end PC. For most console gamers, its about value & simplicity, and fun.

Fake

Well i actually said that post before watching the vid, i didnt even realize the RT mode was 30fps, i thought it was 60fps, which makes it even worse imo.
I mean would people really pick the 30fps RT mode over 60fps in this game?.

I would pick 60fps, but I not against have options.

I still prefer a native 4k 30fps option over RT 30fps.

This really show how important for Microsoft and Sony to have a DLSS counterpart.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It'll get better in the future like all console games get better in year 2 or 3. But I don't know if these PS5 and Xbox consoles at 10-12TF and 16gb of total ram is good enough to do awesome RT and visuals whether it's 30 or 60.

So far, all signs say RT at 30 is the going rate on consoles. As long as they give options for 30/60 RT/no-RT I'm good with that. I'll probably do 60/no-RT.

Last edited:

Fake

It'll get etter in the future like all console games get better in year 2 or 3. But I don't know if these PS5 and Xbox consoles at 10-12TF and 16gb of total ram is good enough to do awesome RT and visuals whether it's 30 or 60.

So far, all signs say RT at 30 is the going rate on consoles.

They are good to go. GT trailer showed that you can even use dynamic ray tracing solution, pretty much how consoles treat resolution with their dynamic scaler.

Asking too much from a console is like asking for a new PC. We need to filter who is doing a good job or not.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
again, we see performance on 5700xt which is similar to ps5 perf without rt and its 40ish on higher settings in 1440p and remedy didn't want to target 40ish in performance mode, not hard to understand
PS5 GPU should be significantly faster than a 5700xt. Plus higher settings mean stuff like MSAA turned on, thing that PS5 doesn't dream for Control to compare.

Last edited:

t0rment

at least is going to be free on ps plus, otherwise i wouldn't have paid even 10 bucks for this.

a last gen game, that already ran at 1440p 30 on XBONEX, with no pratical improvements besides fps for next gen? that's just blatant disregard on part of the dev team for these ports.

DustQueen

Banned
We need different approach to how Ray Tracing works. It is clearly eating up all of the fucking performance to the point of me having to ask...why not do reflections old fation style then? Like in Hitman.

sncvsrtoip

PS5 GPU should be significantly faster than a 5700xt. Plus higher settings mean stuff like MSAA turned on, thing that PS5 doesn't dream for Control to compare.
nah, 5700xt has clocks on avarage making it around 9.7tf so very close to ps5 gpu also it has bandwidth advantage as its not sharing it with cpu, it's similar level of performance (without rt ofcourse)

Last edited:

Rikkori

RT looks good when you stop, stare and record it. But are you even going to notice in fast space gameplay? Probably not still a huge waste of resources. Until they can implement it with zero cost I’ll pass.
100% correct, at least for this game. I can max it on PC & keep 60 but what struck me the most is how quickly it gets lost during actual gameplay. It's a way better tech for open world games where you're traveling a lot or where the fights are more methodical. That's why it's so ace in Metro Exodus, but so uninteresting ultimately for Control. Looks great in screenshots but good luck picking out what's ray traced when you're playing the game like this:
giphy.gif

Neo_game

Another example of some fine console "optimization" here. Directly from Remedy. No guess work involved.

drz4hEW.png

This is called a port not optimization. Does not seems they put much effort in it. Probably busy CrossfireX and other unannounced title ? Having said that I do not think people had much expectation from it.

Top Bottom