• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control on PS5 Tech Review

Rikkori

People are disappointed but the only reason you are is because we have this on PC and we know it's low settings. But what - you think Miles Morales would be any different if that was on PC too? No. And we already know that because we saw what happened with Horizon. Console = low/med settings, that's just all they can do. Why are people so suprised?

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People are disappointed but the only reason you are is because we have this on PC and we know it's low settings. But what - you think Miles Morales would be any different if that was on PC too? No. And we already know that because we saw what happened with Horizon. Console = low/med settings, that's just all they can do. Why are people so suprised?

They thought the consoles were 2080 level.

chinoXL

this is a first round release of a heavy PC game..i think its a great port for how stable it is..this game works my 2080TI hard, no way anyone could expect any next gen console to run maxed RT settings..now lets see how things look mid or end of the gen

Mr Moose

Because it is incomplete lacking several platforms?
I thought it was obvious... rushed to get the early clicks.

BTW there is not "findings" in the video lol

Edit - They even had and played the others versions but choose the lol
Seems weird that he's testing a pre-release version, not that I expect any huge improvements but should've just waited a few days and shown all versions. Guess they will do that as well, gotta get those clicks.
Could be worse though, they could've done 50 videos like the Cyberpunk vids.

mxbison

I'm not. These are the types of details that I would never notice while playing a game. Surely, resources could be better used.

It can still improve the overall image a lot, even if you may not notice all of the minor details.

Then when you switch back to the other version it might look flat and you're not sure why.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems weird that he's testing a pre-release version, not that I expect any huge improvements but should've just waited a few days and shown all versions. Guess they will do that as well, gotta get those clicks.
Could be worse though, they could've done 50 videos like the Cyberpunk vids.
Yeap... they clearly choose to do a rushed job for the clicks.
They will have the real analysis after the game launch.

Maybe it is the slow news (even so they have a lot of games they did not bother to do the job... so it is weird anyway).

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yeap... they clearly choose to do a rushed job for the clicks.
They will have the real analysis after the game launch.

Maybe it is the slow news (even so they have a lot of games they did not bother to do the job... so it is weird anyway).
I'm still waiting for their CoD Cold War MP video :messenger_crying:

kyliethicc

I'm really interested to see how well this game uses DualSense, that is more important to me than the graphics settings honestly. If it uses DS in a cool way that enhances the game, then I will happily play this version.
It does use both the adaptive triggers and haptics from what Remedy said.

Faithless83

Banned
So they rushed a video without the day one patch just to show the PS5 version, huh? Alex did the video as well.
Without seeing the rest of the video, can I bet it's not sustaining 30fps or 60fps?

Great Hair

Banned
Out of the blue, all their videos are suddenly in 4K.
Except for the first few videos during launch week, where the PS5 was on-par or beating the XSX ; ... rememba the "youtube is taking a shit long time to encode it to 4K!" (Dirt 5 DF video). That video is still just 1080p and poorly encoded (4 months later).

Man, Google must have upgraded their servers with Ryzen 5000 chips ...
You Got It Ok GIF

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Because it is a last gen game. Not cross gen or current gen game. So except for RT effects, everything else was expected to be high or max settings.

Last edited:

rsouzadk

Nothing unexpected really.

Besides that, i'm still glad for 60fps mode. I will gladly platinum it again.

Settings are as expected for this. The game is super demanding and if it weren't for DLSS you'd be rocking the same settings on a 2070 as that card drops into the mid 30s without DLSS at 1440p (with no RT as well). It's just nice to see that the performance mode is mostly stable with a few issues here and there.

Because it is a last gen game. Not cross gen or current gen game.
It's a PC game first and foremost. Nothing "last gen" about it.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know... I know the survey shows at least 90% of the gamers have hardware inferior to RTX 2060.

Not surprising really since most PC gamers are targeting 1080p. But the claim being made was that the entire world has fewer gaming PCs capable of outperforming PS5 than there are PS5s.

What was it, like 30+ million ppl have better pc's than next gen consoles. Topher Topher had a post of I can find it

Here it is...
The PS5 is making me hate PC Gaming (techradar article) | NeoGAF

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Settings are as expected for this. The game is super demanding and if it weren't for DLSS you'd be rocking the same settings on a 2070 as that card drops into the mid 30s without DLSS at 1440p (with no RT as well). It's just nice to see that the performance mode is mostly stable with a few issues here and there.

Geometry, textures, shaders are all last gen assets.

Mr Moose

Well hope that someone more cash flows your way my man.
I used it just for YouTube and Twitter but upgraded the other parts of my PC recently (old ass Phenom II 1100T to a 3600 and stuff), bought a 1660 Super but it was defective so sent it back, gotta use this crap until I can get a RTX 3060 :messenger_crying:

ethomaz

Banned
Not surprising really since most PC gamers are targeting 1080p. But the claim being made was that the entire world has fewer gaming PCs capable of outperforming PS5 than there are PS5s.
I don't know that... there is billions of PC in the world so it is very likely that even 1% have better specs than PS5 + Series X combined.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So they rushed a video without the day one patch just to show the PS5 version, huh? Alex did the video as well.
Without seeing the rest of the video, can I bet it's not sustaining 30fps or 60fps?

What exactly is the day one patch supposed to do when Remedy emailed DF the exact game settings they used and both modes are mostly locked at their desired framerate.

Last edited:
iam most curious about that email Alex recieved.
he saud in the video that the devs supplied him with a list of ps5s detail settings and the reasoning behind them.

ism almost certain that a big part of the explanation was that they could not optimize further because of time/ money constraints..
thats never the max for ps5 in regards for Control.

they even publicly excused the inability to to transfer savegames from old to next gen with being a small developer and that they altered whole data handling structure for next gen version. and that they were pretty busy with that...

so while Mustard race people can use this against ps5 we can easily assume that Ps5 could do much more if the dev would actually invest more time in it.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
iam most curious about that email Alex recieved.
he saud in the video that the devs supplied him with a list of ps5s detail settings and the reasoning behind them.

ism almost certain that a big part of the explanation was that they could not optimize further because of time/ money constraints..
thats never the max for ps5 in regards for Control.

they even publicly excused the inability to to transfer savegames from old to next gen with being a small developer and that they altered whole data handling structure for next gen version. and that they were pretty busy with that...

so while Mustard race people can use this against ps5 we can easily assume that Ps5 could do much more if the dev would actually invest more time in it.
The game is dropping frames when smoke effects show up on screen using those settings. How are those settings not the PS5's MAX?

Faithless83

Banned
What exactly is the day one patch supposed to do when Remedy emailed DF the exact game settings they used and both modes are mostly locked at their desired framerate.
I'm no dev, but I've never heard of a day one patch doing nothing, have you?
Afterall, if the patch does nothing, why do you need it?

Edited for clarification, I think it's needed at this point, based on the question.

Day one patches are mostly bug AND performance optimization patches. The game was finished long ago, so yeah, performance it is.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm no dev, but I've never heard of a day one patch doing nothing, have you?
Afterall, if the patch does nothing, why do you need it?

At most maybe it will clear up the drops with the smoke effects. But that's barely something to complain about as both modes run damn near locked anyway.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I hope 60fps makes the combat much better, I quit playing on the Xbox due to how laborious it was.

All of this is precisely why it's unoptimized crap. Try running this turd on a maxwell card. PC philistines are no better than any console zealot and will defend anything lol.

It's just not visually pleasing and is far too resource heavy for its graphical return. This and Quantum break have this temporally unstable (ghosting), sterile and repetitive look with a greenish piss filter layered on top. Artistically as well, not good. Technically, we can compare it to RE engine games which run orders of magnitude faster on comparable PC hardware.

Keep fighting the good fight, warriors on all sides haha.

Leyasu

Banned
Another example of some fine console "optimization" here. Directly from Remedy. No guess work involved.

drz4hEW.png
Everyone knows that this game is a resources hog. But damn, settings are like limbo masters dancing under the lowest bar (settings) possible.

I have been thinking for a while that the PS5 would win by a nose on this one. Fuck me if true, what are the XsX settings gonna be

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Another example of some fine console "optimization" here. Directly from Remedy. No guess work involved.

drz4hEW.png
ive always said that optimization is basically just downgrades.

The optimizations people talk about only happen on sequels where engines get retooled, APIs get faster, and new techniques are used. But no one is retooling the entire engine on ports. I do expect control 2 to look a gen above this shit.

The PS5 seems to be pretty weak when it comes to ray tracing which isnt surprising since the 6800xt is also pretty weak and thats a 20 tflop card.

drz4hEW.png

This is disappointing.

He also continues right after this to explain that Far Object LOD on PS5 is lower than PC's Low. I also still don't understand why console versions of games always get shafted on the texture filtering even though that barely affects performance and improves the image dramatically. AF 16x has been a thing since like 2000-2001 and NG consoles still use 4x or 8x AF at best

I have seen this game run at 1440p/Ultra/avg of 60 (or close to) on a PC that is pretty comparable to a PS5/Series X. I am having a hard time understanding why NG consoles (assuming XsX has these same settings) can't do better.

Look at the difference in shadows here

hvE8HjU.png

I am a little bit letdown with this one. Oh well.

I still love the game, and can't wait to Plat it this week. Still a great offering for free on PSN+

edit

1440.png

I am sorry, but if a 2070 Super can do 51 avg at Ultra, I don't understand why PS5 (and assuming XsX as well) can't do better than Low/Off/Lower than low at either 30 (with RT), or 60 (without RT). Should 16x AF and High textures really be out of reach on either console? I had my roommate boot the game up on his 3060 Ti and he is averaging around 70 FPS at 1440p/Ultra (no RT), native resolution. Yes, a 3060 Ti is better than XsX and PS5 GPU but by how much, like 15 percent maybe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom