• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull & Bones: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - And The Utterly Incomprehensible - DF Tech Review

540p XSS? 720p XSX|PS5?

Funny GIF
”The more the A's, the lesser the p's” - anonymous

Bojji

Shitty package overall, but it has more CPU bottleneck related drops on PS5 that neither Series consoles have, the resolution situation on the otherhand is just abysmal, especially considering what the final output looks like.

Perhaps we were too harsh on the string of 1080p performance mode games earlier in the gen.

I think they are fucked in the head at Ubisoft, previous anvil games had drs and TAA and resolution could be as low as 1080 or even slightly lower in 60fps nodes but only in some scenarios. In this they have fixed resolution so I guess they wanted to have that 60fps all the time and used absolute dog shit 720p as the base. The worst think is that with fsr2 game is constantly aliased and full of ghosting. Fsr 2 can look ok reconstructing from some high resolution but not from 720p...

I think out of: TAAU, TSR, XESS and insomniac reconstruction fsr2 is the worst and AMD don't improve it at all.

'object disocclusion fizzle'? how've i managed to live this long without ever having heard of this before?...

Have you seen video in 4k Fullscreen? It's a perfect description 🤣

Cyberpunkd

Ubisoft should just go ham on what they do best:

1. Yearly AC releases
2. Yearly FC releases
2. Small projects like Valiant Hearts or PoP

Every single time they try something else it ends badly.

Fbh

We could have gotten a cool pirate game that builds upon Black Flag, with some modest visual improvements over AC Valhalla running at something like native 1440p 60fps.
Instead we get a boring GAAS running at 720p.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I never tried it solo but I imagine not. One of the coolest parts of the game is how the crew synergizes and how everyone gets to do different things to help out. For instance, I was playing with my mate and manning the ship while he was in the crow's nest guiding where I was going.

At another point, we found an island with buried treasure but needed a vantage position to spot exactly where they chests were so anchored the ship next to the shore. I went on foot and he remained on the crow's nest and was telling me where to dig.

We also sank on our ship's maiden voyage.

It might be fun solo but the appeal is really to be part of a pirate crew. Even just two is a lot more fun. A whole crew (6-8 people) is honestly a blast.

Also, yeah, sloops are for 1-2 players but are still easier to manage with two.

How does this work if one or two players of a crew want to play but the others can't join? Does it at all? I'm interested in trying SoT when it hits PS5, but if it's gonna require a full crew to always be online at the same time I don't think that's gonna work out.

ManaByte

Gold Member
How does this work if one or two players of a crew want to play but the others can't join? Does it at all? I'm interested in trying SoT when it hits PS5, but if it's gonna require a full crew to always be online at the same time I don't think that's gonna work out.

1-2 players = Sloop

3 players = Brig

4 players = Galleon

You pick your ship based on how many people you have. Although it's entirely possible for 3 players to run a Galleon or 2 to run a Brig.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

To expand on ManaByte's post, Sea of Thieves also uses Looking For Game (LFG) in game. You can make a post in LFG looking for other crew members for your ship or check the other posts who are looking for crew members and join their ship. While you are in game, people can jump in and out of your crew. Every time I check LFG, there are always 100-400 posts, so there is no problem finding people to play with.

There is also an Open Crew option where you can get randomly placed on a ship or a random person can get placed on your ship. This option can bring some unexpected random fun to the game, but it is also kinda a roll of the dice, so you may meet someone really cool or maybe even a troll.

I see posts all the time in LFG of inexperienced players looking for experienced players to show them the ropes. The community is pretty cool and tons of experienced players are more than happy to show new players around the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
1-2 players = Sloop

3 players = Brig

4 players = Galleon

You pick your ship based on how many people you have. Although it's entirely possible for 3 players to run a Galleon or 2 to run a Brig.

Yeah, but I'm saying if I have a 4 player crew but not all of them can always play. If on some day only two of us can join, is all the previous progress made with the full crew basically worthless? Or any progress made with full crew will also apply if I later play solo and vice versa?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, but I'm saying if I have a 4 player crew but not all of them can always play. If on some day only two of us can join, is all the previous progress made with the full crew basically worthless? Or any progress made with full crew will also apply if I later play solo and vice versa?

Progress is tied to the individual pirate. There's ship progress for captained ships, but it's just milestones.

Top Bottom