• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control on PS5 Tech Review

THEAP99

Banned
Looking forward to watching this during lunch today and hopefully diving into this game tomorrow.

Mister Wolf

Still not blown away by having RT reflections on a coffee maker. Wonder how raytracing actually fares when you start seeing actual next-gen triangle loads.

His example when showing the character blocking screen space reflections while moving is quite telling. Screen space reflections are ass for games where you can control the camera. Time to move on from them.

Last edited:

kikkis

His example when show your character blocking screen space reflections is quite telling. Screen space reflections are ass for games where you can control the camera. Time to move on from them.
Yeah that was a much better example, but what if those flat surfaces used regular planar reflections instead. Would ray tracing still win.

Another example of some fine console "optimization" here. Directly from Remedy. No guess work involved.

drz4hEW.png

Mister Wolf

Hard to compare when they are using custom settings lower than the lowest PC setting. Though its nice that they are using checkerboard rendering for the reflections.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I wonder what the settings would be for for 30FPS, 2k, and RT off. Probably close to 'high' across the board relative to PC.

Interestingly they have access to the Xbox Series versions (with presumably I/O stutters).
Xbox Series consoles are similar, but what looks like occasional I/O stutter seen in last-gen versions (and also in PC) is present

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Cache scrubbers, Geometry engine all at hard work, nice one mr. Cerny!

The other day someone was offended when I said that a mere RTX 2070 seems to be enough to match the PS5. It's just the reality of it. Ps5 is great and is an amazing kit, but the dream of PC Ultra settings aren't feasible on a budget console.

2070 definitely is doing better, I have it still in my media center and I played Control without RT all at high and I don't feel like there were drops below 60. Or something like that, I don't know, maybe they patched in more effect, this was basically on launch.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
TAKE CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they make the combat less repetitive and boring in the PS5 version? Game was decent, but the combat became a chore really quick. I still finished it, but the combat became a real annoyance the further i went.

Aenima

So glad i waited and did not bought the game for PS4. Game seems to run great on PS5 in both modes and will play it for "free". Profit.

Rikkori

Interestingly they have access to the Xbox Series versions (with presumably I/O stutters).
Nah, doubt it, I run it off of a worse SSD with no issues. The game had a LOT of issues with DX12 on PC near launch, so I think it's more likely something like that.

Lowering the right settings to get the best end result is literally what optimization is. Remedy made a super heavy game and the console ain’t super heavy

I know thats what it is. Im just finding it a bit funny how a lot of people imagine this type of stuff going. When they like to say console games are so optimized and pc games are just thrown out the door. They talk as if theres some specialized secred sauce code for console that gets all the attention. When the reality is console games run at lower resolution and lower settings. And gamers on pc like to say that if it doesnt run maxed out and a 5 year old computer its unoptimized.

JonkyDonk

I know thats what it is. Im just finding it a bit funny how a lot of people imagine this type of stuff going. When they like to say console games are so optimized and pc games are just thrown out the door. They talk as if theres some specialized secred sauce code for console that gets all the attention. When the reality is console games run at lower resolution and lower settings. And gamers on pc like to say that if it doesnt run maxed out and a 5 year old computer its unoptimized.
When people talk up 'console optimisation' it's mainly referring to console exclusive games that are made from the ground up to make the most of that specific hardware and show off visuals that are above what is expected of that spec. A game like Control is running on a multiplatform engine made to scale generically on a lot of different specs; it isn't customised for any one platform and is heavy on everything.

Top Bottom