• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control on PS5 Tech Review

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still no DF face off. Amazing. The discussion is all about how unfavorably the PS5 version performs against PC.

It’s just so petty.
I don't think anybody was expecting it to out perform PC.
With that said, there is a bitterness in the air

VFXVeteran

Banned
I still don't see why all that rasterization settings should be low/medium. On PS4 all those settings are lower than low? This still screams bad port to me.

Thanks for the laughs calling ME a console warrior.
Each of those graphics settings require more bandwidth that the console just doesn't have enough of. For example, texture filtering. For each texture, if you wanted to shoot for sampling with the best approximation in the texture map to obtain a good filter kernel for the particular texture sample, requires 16 texture lookups - way too much rendering time for their graphics engine. I think the big consuming power systems are definitely the physics, destruction and transparency FX. It's just how their engine is designed. They may have been able to extract out more features in the console if their graphics engine was designed around a less accurate physics system, less transparencies, and more opaque surfaces like most games.

Redlancet

Banned
finished on pc on my rtx2080ti back on the day tried the ps5 and series x version,its looks similar,dont get all the MASSIVE DIFFERENCE post pc users tried to argue everytime,

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Each of those graphics settings require more bandwidth that the console just doesn't have enough of. For example, texture filtering. For each texture, if you wanted to shoot for sampling with the best approximation in the texture map to obtain a good filter kernel for the particular texture sample, requires 16 texture lookups - way too much rendering time for their graphics engine. I think the big consuming power systems are definitely the physics, destruction and transparency FX. It's just how their engine is designed. They may have been able to extract out more features in the console if their graphics engine was designed around a less accurate physics system, less transparencies, and more opaque surfaces like most games.
So how was the ps4 able do render all that physics, destruction and transparency with much less power? Unless all of that were massively inferior compared to what they are on PS5.

Last edited:
Another example of some fine console "optimization" here. Directly from Remedy. No guess work involved.

drz4hEW.png

A lot of this doesn’t surprise me including the texture filtering; since every developer seems to lower it on consoles for some reason as their first ditch effort. IMO frankly if it’s under 8x it should just be turned off completely, texture banding looks better than muddy shit, especially for a sci-fi game with short corridors.

The thing that struck my eye though was the texture resolution at medium, like how much freaking vram does this thing eat up at the top PC texture setting?

VFXVeteran

Banned
A lot of this doesn’t surprise me including the texture filtering; since every developer seems to lower it on consoles for some reason as their first ditch effort. IMO frankly if it’s under 8x it should just be turned off completely, texture banding looks better than muddy shit, especially for a sci-fi game with short corridors.

The thing that struck my eye though was the texture resolution at medium, like how much freaking vram does this thing eat up at the top PC texture setting?

It's not VRAM that's the problem. It's how many times it has to keep indexing the texture for one pixel inside a triangle. That eats up bandwidth which could be used for other things. They try not to consume too many resources on the TMUs as they have to evaluate shaders as well.

Last edited:
It's not VRAM that's the problem. It's how many times it has to keep indexing the texture for one pixel inside a triangle. That eats up bandwidth which could be used for other things. They try not to consume too many resources on the TMUs as they have to evaluate shaders as well.
That makes total sense actually, that’s not really something I would have even thought of.

My CG expertise has been outside of videogames so I sometimes kinda forget the resources needed.

DF just posted a RT benchmark using the framerate unlocked photo mode. Some big deltas in favor of Xbox in a lot of areas.

Oh noes, oh noes... more endless discussion incoming?
I'm watching and I noticed that in one of the scenes tested there's an obvious reflection missing on the SeX's side. If I noticed I fear that other's may find other differences and start with the conspiracy ideas all over again.

Top Bottom