• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control on PS5 Tech Review

what? the PS5 specs arent the same as XSX specs. Or at least we dont know that yet. This has nothing to do with the xsx we dont even know how the xsx performs.
"Xbox Series consoles are similar, but what looks like occasional I/O stutter seen in last-gen versions (and also in PC) "

there is ur 12tf rdna 2.0

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
B347-A7-CC-D4-EF-46-E8-93-A7-6236-DFF796-B3.gif

I must admit, 3 months after the launch of the PS5, I don't want to see the word "low" in any PC setting equivalency conversations.

Personally, I'm not very surprised. RT sucks the frames right off the screen on my PC running RTX 2080 Super. I guess my expectations were just lower in this regard for consoles.

Not bad for $399(PS5 DE) console. Let me know how game fares even on a 500$ PC let alone 300$... Its very demanding game and top line expensive PCs cant do RT in this game at playable 60 fps without using DLSS.

I would let you know how it fares on an equivalent priced computer, but unfortunatelly i cant design a computer thats as restricted as a console - only being able to run games and nothing else. Since a computer can do a million things in addition to that, its gonna cost more.

But dont worry, in a year and a half, after a new round of graphics cards and cpus come out you will be able to make a superior performing computer for the same price

I would let you know how it fares on an equivalent priced computer, but unfortunatelly i cant design a computer thats as restricted as a console - only being able to run games and nothing else. Since a computer can do a million things in addition to that, its gonna cost more.

But dont worry, in a year and a half, after a new round of graphics cards and cpus come out you will be able to make a superior performing computer for the same price
Let me know when you can run Control at PS5 graphics settings and frame-rate on a 399$ PC. OK?

Till then you cant prove me wrong..

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I think the consoles are very powerful, but PC tech has seen massive boosts over just a few years. Like, 20- 25TF cards for 500 bucks (the RRP, not the scalpers price). No one saw that coming.

Consoles, and AMD, also lack DLSS tech. Nvidia invested heavily into this for a few years already, and AMD kinda just recently. Consoles are stuck with AMD, and have no DLSS solution at all. I think no DLSS equivalent is a missed chance. Like Hitman 3, its 4k on Xbox or 1800p on PS5, what if it had DLSS and the res was dialed down to 1440p or lower? Perhaps they could hit 120hz, more ultra stuff etc. Things shouldn't have to be scaled down this big to deliver RT or 120hz.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Personally, I'm not very surprised. RT sucks the frames right off the screen on my PC running RTX 2080 Super. I guess my expectations were just lower in this regard for consoles.
look at the non RT settings. they are low too. this is a disaster for Sony. I remember when last gen started, they were using medium to high settings all the way up until the Pro came out. This isnt good for future proofing either. The Pro will be an essential purchase going forward.

Last edited:

FireFly

It would already be impressive to fit the motherboard, case, PSU, memory and SSD in a $400 budget.

Loope

look at the non RT settings. they are low too. this is a disaster for Sony. I remember when last gen started, they were using medium to high settings all the way up until the Pro came out. This isnt good for future proofing either. The Pro will be an essential purchase going forward.
Maybe they need to forget about RT for now in some games. I don't think it is worth the tradeoff

RT is just a waste of time if not optimize. Christ. Playing on the low settings...
seriously. they included ray tracing on the stuff that really doesn't matter: reflections. and don't add it for the stuff that would make ray tracing at least arguable to include: lighting, shadows, debris. really hate how this gen is now going to be all about ray traced reflections. like watch dogs legion? does it get more garbage looking than that? why wouldn't they just do 4k/60 on next gen and call it a day?

I will give you honest opinion..SX and PS5 are not RT machines, hardware isnt capable of HQ RT. They are good/decent 60 fps machine but not good RT machines. Anyone planning to play PS5 and SX version using RT is foolish my opinion coz 60 fps makes Control gameplay miles better and more enjoyable to play.

If you want good RT then you need high end PCs. Simple

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe they need to forget about RT for now in some games. I don't think it is worth the tradeoff
yeah, UE5's Lumens offers realtime GI without ray tracing while offering next gen visual fidelity using nanite. I dont know if they have a solution for reflections, but i could live without reflections if we get realtime GI.

These face offs or comparisons have been pretty entertaining so far, but we still have far from anything more than a vague idea how these consoles stack up against each other and the PC. This is why I feel Resident Evil 8 will make this much more clear on where both these consoles are power wise in relation to the PC. More than 6 months on, the Xbox tools should be much improved (hopefully that excuse can be put to bed, not saying it's not been true though).

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Sorry 399$

PS5 Digital edition is 399$..

or Show me 500$ PC running control at same settings or frame-rate lol
After you show us a console that can do everything or more than a pc can. PS5 can´t even run more PS games than a good pc.

Last edited:
It would already be impressive to fit the motherboard, case, PSU, memory and SSD in a $400 budget.

I see you guys are going for the digital edition. Which is barelly manufactured and if you somehow chose that you're missing on disc and resale and are stuck with 80 euros first party games. Calling it 400 bucks is a bit misleading, even though technically correct. But that price is more on paper. Since sony is losing a fuckton of money on it its manufactured at a fraction of numbers as the regular ps5. And even if you buy one the very first game you get puts you at near 500 $

SkylineRKR

I see you guys are going for the digital edition. Which is barelly manufactured and if you somehow chose that you're missing on disc and resale and are stuck with 80 euros first party games. Calling it 400 bucks is a bit misleading, even though technically correct. But that price is more on paper. Since sony is losing a fuckton of money on it its manufactured at a fraction of numbers as the regular ps5. And even if you buy one the very first game you get puts you at near 500 $

The disc edition would put you near 600, unless you could find a good launch day deal for Demon's Souls or something.

Digital edition has been a good purchase for me so far. I only bought like 2 games so far. I would've also bought those for the disc edition at the same price. Control and Destruction I play with Plus, same with the Plus collection from where I just platted Days Gone. The last few years I mostly waited for deals anyway, and I don't like switching and storing discs.

JonkyDonk

lol it's not even close to a disaster, stop exagerrating so much. We've seen plenty of games so far that use high or even some ultra settings on these new consoles. This game still looks and runs just fine on PS5, given how heavy this engine is on all platforms.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
yeah, UE5's Lumens offers realtime GI without ray tracing while offering next gen visual fidelity using nanite. I dont know if they have a solution for reflections, but i could live without reflections if we get realtime GI.

Voxel GI(Lumen) is a form of tracing(cone tracing) and expensive as shit second only to triangle raytracing. That's why you didn't see it used last gen and don't hold your breath seeing it used much this gen including from developers who use Unreal Engine.

Last edited:

FireFly

$500 for all the parts I listed would be a little tight, but likely doable, with the B550 platform and a 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSD. That still leaves out the CPU and GPU.

Topher

Gold Member

Right. 30fps vs 60fps. The difference is RT. Why is this a disaster again?

Md Ray

The funny part about these settings list is how they highlight diminishing returns.

It’s a crap port, but people feeling wronged about it can check out how it compares to high settings on PC. It looks almost the same.
Exactly this. I like these 'best bang for the buck' settings that devs choose on consoles and I wish they let PC users to utilize these settings as well. Side-by-side (if you don't look hard enough), they kinda appear identical to PC's higher quality settings. Users with lower-end RT GPUs like RTX 2060 will greatly benefit from this console-optimized settings. It could be difference of juddery 45-40fps mess to a locked smooth 60fps on struggling GPUs for very little sacrifice to visual quality (sacrificing effects that aren't immediately apparent when set to lower than low setting).

Last edited:

Fredrik

what? the PS5 specs arent the same as XSX specs. Or at least we dont know that yet. This has nothing to do with the xsx we dont even know how the xsx performs.
Don’t get your hopes up. Even if a surprising Hitman 3 scenario would happen again it’ll still just be low to medium settings and 30fps going by this test. I bet it runs better on Geforce Now, I played it once they added RTX and it ran okay even though 30xx cards was not a thing yet, it has DLSS though and I assume that’s what’s missing on consoles this gen.

Elios83

We actually know it. It runs with feature parity and a bit worse with stutters performance wise:

Thus far, we've only played PS5 with the day one patch, but we have taken a look at Xbox Series consoles with gold master code. On PlayStation 5, the 60fps mode is mostly solid, with slowdown only really manifesting in the most effects-heavy combat, where the screen is filled with taxing effects work. Meanwhile, the RT mode at a capped 30fps is consistent, properly frame-paced and sticks doggedly to its target for the vast majority of play with only minor deviations. Xbox Series consoles are similar, but what looks like occasional I/O stutter seen in last-gen versions (and also in PC) is present. We'll cover this in more depth in a separate piece with more detailed analysis.

Btw the game in the DF video looks great on PS5, the fact that the PC guys are ''concerned'' about the low-medium settings has not much sense.
We're talking about 399-499$ consoles here, not 1000$ GPUs and ray tracing on PS5/XSX will always be used in a customized way that makes sense to improve lighting simulation but without severe performance hits. RDNA2 is AMD's first try with ray tracing and we have seen even in PC cards with 80CUs that it's simply not up to par with nVidia's 2nd gen Ampere solution.
The game still looks really impressive and in line with the experience you can can get with a powerful PC and this game was not born with PS5 or Xbox in mind.

Last edited:
$500 for all the parts I listed would be a little tight, but likely doable, with the B550 platform and a 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSD. That still leaves out the CPU and GPU.

like i said, we'll try this after the next round of gpus and cpus come out and prices stabilize. Its not sensible to try and built a multipurpose machine like a computer with off the shelf parts at the same price as single purpose machines that are sold at a loss and which parts are bought at discounts in large volume

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Extactly my ÂŁ100 pound laptop can do the pc stuff just fine, plus pc GPUs have gone up in price greatly, whole thing is a big joke,
Your ÂŁ100 pound laptop can run every single pc game with whatever resolution, framerate, controller, mod you want? Run every emulator that exists?

Kuranghi

Pretty excited to play this with RT and see how it compared to my PC run from last (last?) year. I played at 1080p 60 on a GTX 1080 with near maxed settings and it looked great but quite soft on my beeg telly obviously.

It felt great at 60fps and I could've done 1440p if I just put up with a tiny bit of tearing/v-sync stutter in some scenes but it really ruined the visuals when that happened to I had to under-utilise my GPU heavily for most of the time just to guarantee locked 60 in all the spikey situations, similar to RE Engine.

The IQ is fantastic for a console imo, and I bet the feel of 30hz on console is nowhere near as bad on PC.

BTW - I assumed it would be out today since its Feb, do the new PS Plus games come on a specific day of the month or does it vary?

Last edited:
Top Bottom