• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developing for PS4/XO Feels Like Developing for Ancient Machinery, Halo Co-Creator Says; PS5 and XSX SSD Will Make a Huge Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
xbox-series-x-xsx-ssd-ps5.jpg

Halo co-creator and game director on upcoming sci-fi shooter Disintegration, Marcus Lehto, has talked about the necessity of the high-speed SSDs inside the next-generation consoles.

Both Sony’s PS5 and Microsoft’s Xbox Series X will feature a next-generation NMVe SSD, capable of speeds magnitudes higher than that of the current mechanical drives inside the PS4 and Xbox One. This will allow for much higher loading speeds and speedier in-game systems, including fast travel.
In a new interview with VGC, Lehto talked about developing for games the current generation consoles and their limitations, and the benefits of the new tech inside the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Going by the numbers, the PS5 will have the edge when it comes to SSD i/o performance, but according to the Lehto, both platforms will greatly benefit from the high-speed SSD drives.

“It will make a huge difference,” the Halo co-creator said when asked about the SSD tech inside the next-generation consoles. “It will open up the door for more expansive content that can stream a lot faster. Players won’t be waiting on load screens and we won’t have to hide loading behind cinematics and that kind of thing.”

He added, “it will just help make things a lot more seamless and fluid for the player when it comes to their experience on those consoles.”

We’ve heard various developers talk about the possibilities of the new SSD tech, but Lehto went as far as to say that developing for the current-generation consoles feels like developing for ancient machinery.

“I am really excited about that because that’s one of the things that’s really hard for us in particular right now: dealing with those old platforms. These platforms have been around for what, seven years? Developing for them is like developing for machinery in the stone age.”

joe_zazen

The SSD is not overrated. It's the single best tech in the new consoles.
The fucking talking points of the SSD IO bandwidth advantage in the Ps5 offsetting the computing power difference in comparison to Series X is overrated.

it sure bugs some people, thats for sure, lol. We wont know shit until games are released, thats a fact.

TBiddy

sure they have. Power > ssd speed.

Ssd secret sauce is derogatory term used all the time.

Not a single person have said SSDs were overrated. People have been arguing that an SSD that is extremely fast is better than an SSD which is slightly less extremely fast, but it won't be enough to offset a 2 TF performance delta.

Youve got to be kidding me. Everyone was comparing it to 'the power of the cloud' and calling it 'magical' in a derogatory way.

I think you're confusing the "SSD won't make up for 2 TF performance delta" comments with "SSDs are overrated". No one has said an SSD is overrated, as far as I know.

The SSD is not overrated. It's the single best tech in the new consoles.
The fucking talking points of the SSD IO bandwidth advantage in the Ps5 offsetting the computing power difference in comparison to Series X is overrated.

This guy tells the truth.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Not a single person have said SSDs were overrated. People have been arguing that an SSD that is extremely fast is better than an SSD which is slightly less extremely fast, but it won't be enough to offset a 2 TF performance delta.

I think you're confusing the "SSD won't make up for 2 TF performance delta" comments with "SSDs are overrated". No one has said an SSD is overrated, as far as I know.

So the sentiment is ’ps5 ssd is overrated’. Is that fair?

the only thing interesting about these consoles is the storage/memory tech, how that will change actual game design, and whether 125% ps5 speed advantage will have any fundamental effects on games vs the xbox series consoles.

Those who think the argument is about ps5 SSD pushing pixels misunderstand. It is about how different console design choices will or wont change game design.

it is entirely possible xseries design choices will mean same games, but with better gfx, at least on xsx. However, it is possible that ps5 exclusives will have potential not possible on x series. That is why it is interesting. We dont know yet.

TBiddy

So the sentiment is ’ps5 ssd is overrated’. Is that fair?

the only thing interesting about these consoles is the storage/memory tech, how that will change actual game design, and whether 125% ps5 speed advantage will have any fundamental effects on games vs the xbox series consoles.

Those who think the argument is about ps5 SSD pushing pixels misunderstand. It is about how different console design choices will or wont change game design.

it is entirely possible xseries design choices will mean same games, but with better gfx, at least on xsx. However, it is possible that ps5 exclusives will have potential not possible on x series. That is why it is interesting. We dont know yet.

No, the sentiment (as I see it, based on the numerous posts on the subject) is that the speed advantage is existent, but won't be a game changer. Whether that is true or not, remains to be seen. I'm very interested to see what developers will do with the SSDs in 3-4 years and if the SSD in the PS5 can provide experiences not possible on the XSX.

Last edited:

Three

Try reading some of the threads. Absolutely nobody was saying it will make up for 2TF. Everyone, including me, were all saying that SSD will bring about more than just faster loading times and that it will be a game changer and a bunch of skeptical little fools questioned everything I said and said they've yet to see this 'magic' and how it is the same as 'power of the cloud'.

TBiddy

Try reading some of the threads. Absolutely nobody was saying it will make up for 2TF. Everyone, including me, were all saying that SSD will bring about more than just faster loading times and that it will be a game changer and a bunch of skeptical little fools questioned everything I said and said they've yet to see this 'magic' and how it is the same as 'power of the cloud'.

I do think I've read all the threads. Although, so many were created recently, that it's possible that I've missed some of them.

Generally speaking, the issue with the threads is that on one hand you had the die hard "SDF" claiming that the SSD in combination with 'no bottlenecks' would make the PS5 as fast (or faster than) as the XSX - and on the other hand, you'd have the "Xbots" laughing at the notion that the SSD in the PS5 could lead to things the XSX could not achieve (or at least achieve in a slightly less impressive way).

I don't remember your posts, but I assume they were somewhere in the middle of those camps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom