• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Error is in an “Unacceptable” State on Xbox Series S Due to its Weaker Hardware, Developer Says

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox-series-s-image-4-1536x864.jpg

In a recent interview with GamingBolt, when asked if he feels the Xbox Series S will be able to hold up its promise as a 1440p/60 FPS console as the generation progresses and developers start making more graphically intensive games, studio owners and co-founder Micah Jones of Quantum Error said that to achieve that, you’d have to specifically build a game around the Xbox Series S’ lesser hardware, thus sacrificing technical and visual leaps made possible by the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

“No, I think you have to build your game specifically to run on the S to get those specs with techniques that are used on lesser hardware. If we can get the Quantum Error Series S port optimized and acceptable graphically above our current tests, it will be 30 fps. We have all played some phenomenal games at 30 fps. But in this current generation if the graphics look blurry and smudgy, it greatly lessens the experience in our view. We use Real Illusions Character Creator for our character creation, and it has already advanced beyond what we used. We started on Unreal 4 and we finished the game on Unreal Engine 5.2 but now Unreal Engine 5.3 is coming out soon. The software advances will always outpace the hardware. For us personally, we come at game development as artists, photographers, cinematographers, writers, musicians, and partial computer nerds.

For me, the graphics are insanely important, and my artistic style always leans to the darker side and light usage in dark spaces is the biggest component that excites me. I want to stretch the tech as far as I possibly can. I could have easily made a game with lush landscapes and reflective water with amazing bright happy skies, but what happens when you just take metal, glass, metal, glass, metal, more metal and a little more metal and you use Global Illumination in dark spaces. The way the light scatters naturally and goes in between spaces, the bounce light gets us really excited and once you see it, you just can’t go back to using old lighting techniques. So for us and our studio, we aren’t going to build games for lower tech specs. This is part of why I have been a giggling little kid over what I am being able to do with QE using Nvidia tech for PC. But then Noah (Jones, co-founder) is hardcore about performance so we balance each other. Our PC version minimum specs will not go below the PS5 specs and will push the 4090 as hard as we can.”

Speaking specifically about the Xbox Series S version of Quantum Error, Jones said, the current state of the game on Microsoft’s lower-spec console is “unacceptable”, and that TeamKill Media “won’t release it in its current state.”

When asked if that means the studio is unsure the game can work on the Xbox Series S, he added: “We are not 100% sure yet, the Series S so far works but it runs really poorly, frame rate is very low, and resolution is extremely blurry. We will continue to work to see if we can improve things, but the current state of the game on the Series S is unacceptable.”

Last edited:

Stuart360

I know some will be creaming over this but this is from the asset flip brothers who just use store bought assets for their 'games'.
Calling them developers would need an asterix lol.

Also this is actually good news for anyone with genuine 'concerns' about the S holding back games as he only mentions the S and not the XSX or PS5.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Yeah, you might be right! At least, its definitely not the case that Series S is legitimately trash, must be that the devs are stoking the console war. Riiight…
I don't care to defend the S. I think it has serious RAM amount and bandwidth problems, that will only become worse the fewer cross-gen games come out, never mind the next cross-gen period in 2030. But if it's the same dev that I think of, they've been doing this stuff all the time.

feynoob

Banned
I would be quite if my game looked like this to begin with. Game looks like trash
I wouldnt be suprised if turned out trash.
Devs these days are focused with graphics and shit, instead of actually making a good game.

Its why larian made a good rpg game, while bethesda failed with starfield.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I honestly don't see what the problem is, don't PC games scale from 4090's all the way down to Steam Decks ffs without issue

Connxtion

This the developer that was on twitter saying that they don’t know how they are going to get the game running or have to make sacrifices on the series X due to the ssd being far to slow to do there boss battle where they swap out worlds at least a few times during said battle?

First person Dead space clone basically.

If so yeah it’s to get their indie game in the limelight. When they were asked how the above is true, could never answer 🤷‍♂️

Yeah just looked them up before posting this. It’s the same dev 😂

Edit:

Seems according to them, they have it running at 2k and 60FPS on all platforms 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
taking out of context as they are in the process of optimizing the port, but sure okay.. if it makes you feel better🤷‍♂️

feynoob

Banned
This the developer that was on twitter saying that they don’t know how they are going to get the game running or have to make sacrifices on the series X due to the ssd being far to slow to do there boss battle where they swap out worlds at least a few times during said battle?

If so yeah it’s to get their indie game in the limelight. When they were asked how the above is true, could never answer 🤷‍♂️

Edit:

Seems according to them, they have it running at 2k and 60FPS on all platforms 🤷‍♂️

So essentially the title is clickbait and worth nothing.
Like I said, just PR promotion. But with console fanboys, this is a good ammo for them.

From what I've seen it looks no better than anything that was running fine on PS4 and hundreds of frames per second on PC hardware of that time.

We're seeing too many games looking similar to Dying Light but tanking PC and console hardware.

DaGwaphics

All the comments this dev makes will be even more hilarious when better games in all facets are scaling down nicely to the steamdeck and low-end PCs. This isn't a game that many care about at all, and it seems like this is their avenue to get attention more than anything else. 🤷‍♂️

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Edit:

5mxjTOC.png

I am just posting this here, not that I have necessarily something against your post, but this feels tiring to see. DirectStorage API is pretty straight forward, you don't have to much with your assets coming from PS5, the kraken compression will work just fine, since DirectStorage isn't some decompressor, its just a transport layer. We've seen massive benefits with actually using it in games, so this, I don't really understand why we are still here, without proper support from games.

sigh...

Top Bottom