• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

Gaming is great, on PC.

So far, this generation of Playstation does not hold up and it's no secret. Sorry if I am bursting your fan-bubble.
*Doesn't hold up for you.

I and many other Playstation gamers have been enjoying our PS5's.

Going back to playing FF16 now, see yah!

How You Doin Kiss GIF

LOL! Project Q can be used on the internet. It's nothing like the Wii U tablet. Especially once Sony gets their PS5 cloud gaming up and running on PS+ Premium, you wouldn't even need a PS5 to stream games to it.
HUGE difference.

You're acting as if playing games on the base PS5 for the past 3 years doesn't matter to people. Why would someone just sit around and wait for the "Pro" version to go on sale? Especially when you'd have no idea if a Pro version will ever be released. And if you knew it would be created, you wouldn't know how long you'd have to wait.

Yeah, good luck trying to use Project Q outside of the house, on the go. This is why people hate those cloud-based Switch games. Unless it has onboard capacity to download and play retro games locally then Project Q will be about as useful as the Wii U's tablet... and possibly as successful! In my opinion!

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

the game is switch port, native 8k60 is possible just it has to have graphics complexity around early lvls of ps360 era ;p
Fun fact, xbox series x runs it only at 6k60, info confirmed by rich in the video ;D

Native 8K60 is not possible, since the PS4 can not give out more than 4k120.

You get the benefit of downsampling though.

PeteBull

Firstly i think u typed ps4 and u meant ps5 ;P
Secondly, as u got in the video description:
Internally rendering at 'full fat' 7680x4320 and running flat out at 60 frames per second, Shin'en Multimedia's The Touryst is officially the first 8K game of the new console generation.

Which means indeed, output is in 4k but console internally renders all the pixels of 8k, at 60fps nonetheless, aka got enough oomph for that and we do better have image quality even on 4k screen vs standard native 4k rendering, hell we do have better IQ even compared to xbox series x 6k60 :>

Think of it as famous greenberg stupid quote that all the games outputs in 1080p https://n4g.com/news/1385546/aaron-greenberg-you-will-see-every-game-as-1080p

Internal resolution maters, not output resolution, otherwise back then in early xbox one times call of duty ghosts running internally at 720p and outputting in 1080p would be ok- but it wasnt, obviously and greenberg got called out on it :p

Banned

it can technically, and it is promoted on the box that it can... but Sony just doesn't add that output resolution 🤷 most likely because all the affordable 8K TVs on the market are Samsung and LG, while their cheapest 8K tv is still like 3000€.

Sony always limits their consoles on purposes to help their TV division's products look like a good fit.
and they can't patch in 8K and then have a compatible TV that's 3x as expensive as their competitor's TVs.
just like they couldn't allow VRR as long as their TVs had spotty compatibility... or how they don't support Freesnyc because their TVs don't support Freesync.

Last edited:
The PS5 has to drop sub-1080p to upscale some games to 4K and most PS5 games run at 1440p or thereabouts, upscaled to 4K so Sony advertising 8K on the PS5 box was a huge mistake in my opinion. 3 years after release the console still doesn't support 8K output. I am surprised they haven't had law suits slapped on them left, right and centre at this point for false advertising, especially in the US.

Yes, the PS5 has one game that downsamples from 8K to native 4K (The Touryst) but it is a graphically simplistic game with small levels. Indie developers could do 2D and simple 3D games of this type at native 8K on PS5 but, honestly, what would be the point? The userbase with 8K TVs is extremely small and likely will continue to be until manufacturers drop 4K altogether and force 8K as a standard. I would rather developers focused on maximising the potential of the current hardware, prioritising 60 fps and 1440p if need be, rather than pushing 8K just to so they can claim they have an 8K game in their portfolio.

If there is a PS5 Pro, and I really hope there isn't given how few current-gen games we have now 3 years into the life of the PS5, then I expect it will include 8K support for the 5 or 6 people that can use it to watch 8K YouTube videos!

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

it can technically, and it is promoted on the box that it can... but Sony just doesn't add that output resolution 🤷 most likely because all the affordable 8K TVs on the market are Samsung and LG, while their cheapest 8K tv is still like 3000€.

Since the PS5 is limited to 32Gbps the max would be 8K/30, so it cannot do 60fps anyway.

Point is: Even if the PS5 wants to, it can not give out native 8K/60fps for this game since u need at least 40Gbps for 4:2:0 which will come with a lot of banding anyway.

misc-formatdataratetable-medium.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
Since the PS5 is limited to 32Gbps the max would be 8K/30, so it cannot do 60fps anyway.

Point is: Even if the PS5 wants to, it can not give out native 8K/60fps for this game since u need at least 40Gbps for 4:2:0 which will come with a lot of banding anyway.

misc-formatdataratetable-medium.jpg

it is assumed that the 32gb/s is a software induced limitation not a hardware limitation.
edit: googling a bit also makes it sound like this is confirmed by Sony to be a software limitation.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

it is assumed that the 32gb/s is a software induced limitation not a hardware limitation.
edit: googling a bit also makes it sound like this is confirmed by Sony to be a software limitation.

But why?

With this limitation you can not go with 4K/120 4:4:4 if you want to use HDR. This limitation makes no sense.

Banned
That's the theory. In practice, it makes a hugh impact on sharpness in games too.

it can't make a difference in sharpness, only in color accuracy. also which game do you know that renders at 4k120? the system will have to scale up the image anyway, meaning the colors on screen will be doubled way more obviously due to the low render resolution, rather than due to the 4:2:2 color

Last edited:

Banned
And do you think color resolution doesnt translate to sharpness? Because it absolutely does.

You might want to test it if you have a TV and see for yourself.
reduced color resolution is very rarely noticeable in typical gameplay scenarios. you need very specific scenarios to notice, where 2 pixels that are right next to eachother have the exact same luminance value but a radically different chroma value. that's not something that happens all too often. it does happen with fine text, hence it being important when using a PC, but in a typical gameplay image it's way less often that it would stick out.

edit: Also, again... no game actually runs at 4K120fps, so the game image will be upscaled anyway , which will naturally result in double wide pixels that have the same luminance value anyways.
at worst it becomes an issue when using 120hz VRR quality modes

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
reduced color resolution is very rarely noticeable in typical gameplay scenarios. you need very specific scenarios to notice, where 2 pixels that are right next to eachother have the exact same luminance value but a radically different chroma value. that's not something that happens all too often. it does happen with fine text, hence it being important when using a PC, but in a typical gameplay image it's way less often that it would stick out.
It's not rarely noticeable, it's always very noticeable. Everyone who can test it on a TV switching back and forth between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 will tell you this,
You can keep speaking theory all you want, you are not right there bud.

Last edited:

Banned
It's not rarely noticeable, it's always very noticeable. Everyone who can test it on a TV switching back and forth between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 will tell you this,
You can keep speaking theory all you want, you are not right there bud.

yeah, who am I posting objective facts, when you can bring up unproven subjective arguments 🤣

sorry, but 4:2:2 in a normal gameplay image is barely noticeable

Whitecrow

Banned
yeah, who am I posting objective facts, when you can bring up unproven subjective arguments 🤣

sorry, but 4:2:2 in a normal gameplay image is barely noticeable
Which facts are you talking about exactly? Those who you didnt seem to have any interest on proving?

This not being a sharpness night and day difference maybe?
X6dsGDH.png
ZrtzzPS.png
The 422 chroma it's no better than upscaling from HALF of the horizontal resolution, which is a lot.

You might not notice it on very contrasted edges, where the luma change makes an actual difference, but when not, difference is night and day.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Which facts are you talking about exactly? Those who you didnt seem to have any interest on proving?

X6dsGDH.png
ZrtzzPS.png
The 422 chroma it's no better than upscaling from HALF of the horizontal resolution, which is a lot.

You might not notice it on very contrasted edges, where the luma change makes an actual difference, but when not, difference is night and day.
You are focusing on text which has already been agreed to be the key issue with chrome subsampling. So yeah, a problem for games with massive amount of text you see up close (bit of an extreme example too as it is taking bright red and blue which cause issues even at full chroma depth), but not for many others…

Whitecrow

Banned
You are focusing on text which has already been agreed to be the key issue with chrome subsampling. So yeah, a problem for games with massive amount of text you see up close (bit of an extreme example too as it is taking bright red and blue which cause issues even at full chroma depth), but not for many others…
And what differentiates text from 2 objects of different color next to each other in a 3D scene?
If text cannot be rendered well, it means TV cant make a good transition between certain colors, and that goes for everything on the image, not just pixels arranged in letter forms.

Last edited:

Banned

X6dsGDH.png
ZrtzzPS.png

you are literally showing one of the said extreme situations that I'm talking about. in 99% of images you will barely see a difference, and the difference you will see is mostly color inaccuracies and not an obvious drop in definition.

the image you're showing is displaying 2 colors with the same luminance and an extreme chroma difference, this simply doesn't happen in a natural looking image like when looking at the game world in a typical game.
extreme scenarios like in that image are almost entirely limited to PC usage, where fine text edges are very common.

Banned
To my understanding, the PS5/SX will always give out a 4k/120 signal, regardless of the rendering resolution of the game, since the upscaling is done by the console, not the TV.

that's not the point tho... if a game renders at 1080p, then every pixel needs to be doubled when scaled up, and if your pixel is doubled a 4:2:2 chroma resolution will be indistinguishable from 4:4:4

Last edited:

Loxus

I can't believe we're putting our faith in PS5 Pro leaks on Tom.

What happened to all the proper leakers from back in 2019?

Last edited:

Romulus

So is this supposed to happen or were the leakers proven to be a bust?

Having said that I'm still waiting for that one game that justifies ps5/xsx generation. It's a joke so far. Feels like I've been playing 60fps ps4 games. Pretty sad it's even an argument. Last generation Infamous and Shadow Fall were CLEAR leaps in fidelity. There was zero argument. Guess those days are over.

And to be fair the ps4 generation wasn't an incredibly huge leap, but it feels like some technological enlightenment compared to the ps5 jump.

Last edited:

Loxus

So is this supposed to happen or were the leakers proven to be a bust?

Having said that I'm still waiting for that one game that justifies ps5/xsx generation. It's a joke so far. Feels like I've been playing 60fps ps4 games. Pretty sad it's even an argument. Last generation Infamous and Shadow Fall were CLEAR leaps in fidelity. There was zero argument. Guess those days are over.

And to be fair the ps4 generation wasn't an incredibly huge leap, but it feels like some technological enlightenment compared to the ps5 jump.
I don't know about Tom, but I have a feeling Kepler knows something.
He's know for leaking GPU/CPU stuff.

I'm wondering if he's hinting at the PS5 Pro codename being Viola?

Seems like next-gen GDDR7 is almost here :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Just to provide some context, the current GDDR6 memory chips in the PS5 are rated for 14 GT/s, so these new GDDR7 32 MT/s modules are quite hefty improvement over that and it will easily solve any possible memory bandwidth if not for the PS5 Pro then for the PS6 (by then we'll have even faster GDDR7 modules).

They can even reduce the memory bus interface from the current 256bits to 192bits and still be fine if the memory config allows in order to make some BOM savings.

All in all there's some very exciting possibilities if Sony play their cards right.

Last edited:

PeteBull

That new superfast vram wont be put into ps5pr0 guys, its big jump in cost and ps5pr0 has to be at most 800$ msrp.
Most of the budget increase vs 500$ ps5 base will go into much stronger/newer gpu.

By the time ps6 launches( so2028-2030) its very likely we gonna get gddr7 but back then it wont be that expensive anymore ;D

And to those ppl who are sure of ps5pr0 not happening- u are free to have ur opinion ofc :)

From the same article I've linked:

"Our GDDR7 DRAM will help elevate user experiences in areas that require outstanding graphic performance, such as workstations, PCs and game consoles, and is expected to expand into future applications such as AI, high-performance computing (HPC) and automotive vehicles," said Yongcheol Bae, Executive Vice President of Memory Product Planning Team at Samsung Electronics. "The next-generation graphics DRAM will be brought to market in line with industry demand and we plan on continuing our leadership in the space."

Top Bottom