• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know if this was new thread worthy as it's not really news, but I still wanted to talk about it. One of the names commonly thrown into the ring is Lexi Alexander, director of Punisher: War Zone. However, in an interview with Fast Company, Alexander states she has no plans to pursue the job.

On the other hand, Alexander has heard at least one woman was offered the job.

Link to the interview.

So that's one woman director down. Aside from wondering who the woman Alexander is talking about, it has hit me how much pressure whichever woman gets the job of directing Wonder Woman is going to be under. You can't possibly screw up there due the massive expectations. I suspect the director of Capt. Marvel will be under similar pressure (I'd bet Vegas money Marvel Studios wants a woman to direct that one), but not to as much extent given how much is riding on this movie and Wonder Woman higher standing in pop culture.

The juicier bit for speculation, of course, is that WB has asked at least one woman to take the job. Any guesses as to who it could be?

And to think a woman was in charge of all this Craziness
punisher_war_zone.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXKOHhSz8-U

Penguin

So tried to organize the list a bit to have some form of "Structure" though it means jumping around to various series and even arcs. But shall try and explain my rationale for such decisions

Secret Origins of the Justice League
This one is fairly simple and straight-forward, any time one of the characters in the new universe has had an origin tale done in animation.

• Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  • Superman TAS: The Last Son of Krpton
  • Paradise Lost
  • The Brave and the Bold
  • Batman Year One
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Lantern: First Flight
  • Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam

The Rogues' Gallery
First appearances or first major story for some of the best villains.
  • Heart of Ice
  • Bane
  • Blast from the Past ½
  • Apokolips ½
  • Twilight 1/2
  • Wild Cards
  • Task Force X
  • I am Legion
  • Alive
  • Destroyer
  • Superman Doomsday
  • Superman Unbound
  • Superman Brainiac Attacks
  • Assault on Arkham

BreakDown
This is more character studies/pieces of Batman and Superman and their respective "families"

• On Leather Wings
  • Perchance to Dream
  • Beware the Gray Ghost
  • I AM The Night
  • Robin's Reckoning ½
  • Shadow of the Batman ½
  • Sins of the Father
  • A Little Piece of Home
  • Brave New Metropolis
  • The Late Great Mr. Kent
  • Little Girl Lost
  • Far From Home

World's Finest
Anytime the Trinity has teamed up, mostly Superman and Batman.

• Superman/Batman: World's Finest
  • Knight Time
  • The Demon Reborn
  • For the Man Who Has Everything
  • The Batman/Superman Story ½
  • Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
  • Superman/Batman Apocalypse

Cadmus
This is pretty easy. But the bits and pieces of the Cadmus arc. I mean it is DC's best long-form story!
  • Stolen Memories
  • Identity Crisis
  • Ghost in the Machine
  • Legacy
  • A Better World
  • Fearful Symmetry
  • Ultimatum
  • Dark Heart
  • Clash
  • Question Authority
  • Flashpoint
  • Panic in the Sky
  • Divided We Fall

World's Greatest Superfriends
Justice League Origins/Stand Out Episodes/Arcs

• Secret Origins
  • The Enemy Below
  • Paradise Lost
  • Only a Dream
  • Initiation
  • The Joining ½
  • A Mirror Darkly
  • Ring Toss
  • What Goes Up...
  • Lost Heroes ½
  • Justice League New Frontier
  • Justice League: Doom
  • JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time

Heroic Age
This is more of a random assortment of different versions of characters

• Legends of the Dark Knight
  • Batman Under the Red Hood
  • The Dark Knight Returns Part ½
  • DC Original Shorts
  • Superman vs The Elite

Brave New World
The Nu-New DC Animated Continuity.

• Justice League The Flashpoint Paradox
  • Justice League War
  • Justice League Throne of Atlantis

ryan299

Margot Robbie to play Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad.

http://collider.com/harley-quinn-suicide-squad-movie-margot-robbie/

A few weeks ago, we reported that Will Smith, Tom Hardy, and Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street) was close to signing on to Suicide Squad, a film director David Ayer describes as “The Dirty Dozen with supervillains.” Hot on the heels of learning that Jared Leto is being courted to play The Joker, we have now learned from sources that Robbie will play Harley Quinn.

ReiGun

I await the manips, but I think she's got the look.

Bigelow is right for the job.

Hope the studios will see that too.

Based on Alexander's response, if it's not Bigelow...then I have no idea. She's the only female director I can think of that would "make everyone very happy".
Bigelow's probably it, but I don't want to discount the possibility they got some lesser known name whose a perfect fit for the project.

And to think a woman was in charge of all this Craziness
punisher_war_zone.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXKOHhSz8-U
This kind of craziness is why I was rooting for Alexander.

ReiGun

Looking at MacLaren's resume, I'm convinced she's who Lexi was talking about. Clearly talented, experienced in pop genre work, has done great work on four shows that are really popular with the kind of audience that's into Wonder Woman (GoT, BB, TWD, and X-Files). If she gets it, it would go a long way to easing people's apprehension about the Wonder Woman film.

Penguin

Warner Eyeing Jai Courtney (ARGH) for Deadshot in Suicide Squad and also some speculation on the rumored casting roles

Warner Bros. is courting Leto to play the Joker, Robbie for Harley Quinn and Hardy for Rick Flagg, a founding member of the Suicide Squad. As for Smith, it’s uncertain which character he will play but sources say it’s likely The Flash nemesis Digger Harkness a.k.a. Captain Boomerang.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/j...adshot-in-suicide-squad-exclusive-1201354892/

Warner Eyeing Jai Courtney (ARGH) for Deadshot in Suicide Squad and also some speculation on the rumored casting roles

Warner Bros. is courting Leto to play the Joker, Robbie for Harley Quinn and Hardy for Rick Flagg, a founding member of the Suicide Squad. As for Smith, it’s uncertain which character he will play but sources say it’s likely The Flash nemesis Digger Harkness a.k.a. Captain Boomerang.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/j...adshot-in-suicide-squad-exclusive-1201354892/

I'm going to go ahead and say that WB isn't crazy enough for Smith as Cpt. Boomerang. But Crazy enough to gender bend Amanda Waller into Adam Waller for Smith....

The Wonder Woman director news is nice to hear, I actually don't know what to make about the other casting news. Will Smith is hit or miss depending on the script. Overall no Gal Gadot size casting mistakes, so I can't complain.

Odoul

DC & Marvel announcing their full slate is good and bad.

Cool that we know what's coming, but kinda down that it takes away any surprises.

Who do you think would be good shepherds for the movies without confirmed directors?

Aquaman - David Twohy, Stephen Sommers, *

Wonder Woman - Cauron, Zack Snyder (not gonna happen I know),

Flash - I'm really not familiar with the character.

Shazam - Again no clue.

Green Lantern - David Twohy, *

*These seem like properties where someone from another medium might get a chance. Maybe Genndy does a live action movie. Or the guys behind ATLA. Or the Clone Wars.

ReiGun

I already like the idea of Michelle MacLaren for Wonder Woman.

Edgar Wright for Flash. Lord & Miller for Shazam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1seGmUrFUk

Saw this awesome video from Game Theory discussing various outlandish characters that exists in the DC universe. Made me think... how likely/inevitable is it we'll see Dex Starr?

Not even trolling with that pick either. I think he could make a really good Flash movie. lol

I'd be surprised if DC didn't give him a call after that public debacle. Talent is in high demand with all these comic book movies coming and letting him helm a film could be just what DC needs to elevate their universe quality wise. Also, it would be a total middle finger to Marvel. And yes, a Flash movie would be a perfect fit for him.

DaveH

Fun to watch the birth of a comic book fan. That huge and crazy universe was one of the things I miss. Some unnecessary shots at the main guys and the misplaced assumption that everyone else is going to be as on board with talking primate detectives in a deerstalker, but all easily forgiven by his enthusiasm.

I think is conclusion about more reality-oriented film is shame-based is wrong too. It does make it more accessible for people not ready to accept a housecat with phenomenal cosmic power, true... but what he doesn't get is that for the longtime fans, we've lived in that world for decades... seeing a realistic take is actually refreshing for some. There's no one right flavor, especially when you can have them all.

When DC Nation was running full steam, you got every flavor of DC under the sun between the main shows and the shorts, which I know has imprinted on some kids out there to make life-long fans. I don't need any one piece of media to be the be-all-end-all DC experience (film, animation, videogames, television, etc), so I'm fine with different tones in different places... but if there's any apparent DC void right now, it's that apart from Teen Titans Go and the occasional Lego Batman, there's a lack of all-ages material.

Good video, thanks for sharing.

Odoul

It's like they have the right actors but the wrong roles.

Hopefully they're confused and Kerry is being looked at as Vixen.

And Hardy and Smith seem like they should be Boomerang and Deadshot respectively.

In the latest DTV he even looks like Will.

Kinda.

Sorta.

Little-bit.

DaveH

In addition to that Zack Snyder is producing the film along with his wife Deborah Snyder and Charles Roven.
The Snyders will probably take their cues from Chris Nolan and his wife / producer-partner Emma Thomas (who are both still producers on BvS) in terms of running interference with any attempts at studio meddling... but likely way more collaborative in conversation.

"Collaborative" is the buzzword that's used again and again in reference to Snyder, so you can imagine him getting everyone excited making pitches or crafting mythology with you. Which bodes well for a connected (not just shared) universe. It doesn't make him a "Yes Man" but he'll back your play if you believe it.

While Nolan was the ultimate bodyguard, you get the impression he has a vision and if he's your producer, you almost have to convince him to warm up to your pitch of your own movie.

Suicide Squad to film in/around Toronto early next year

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/david-ayers-suicide-squad-shoot-753015

Seems like Smith may be out of the running?

That's a good thing IMO. As much I enjoy him as an actor, his ego is way too big and that could be a problem behind the scenes. Which is not something WB can afford right now. I guess the DCU is only big enough for one member of the Smith family... Good thing she's totally killing on Gotham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom