• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who considers the lack of an Batman Solofilm as an big mistake? I think I know why they are doing this (Nolans TDK Trilogie is still so young), but around 2019/2020 they should have planed one...

They probably will replace something on that list with a solo batman movie, especially if Batfleck gets a crazy audience response

ReiGun

Batman is the kind of character they can afford to not have a solo movie of. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding off on the live action Batman to give Lego Batman more space.

You forgot #trainwreck

I knew I missed something.

Anth0ny

Am I the only one who considers the lack of an Batman Solofilm as an big mistake? I think I know why they are doing this (Nolans TDK Trilogie is still so young), but around 2019/2020 they should have planed one...

I can't imagine they'll wait until 2020 for the next Batman solo flick.

I can see them showing up at Comic Con one year with a "Surprise! Batman coming July 2018" or something.

IconGrist

WB already said solo Superman and Batman movies would be sprinkled in between now and 2020. I wouldn't worry about it.

DaveH

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...ellar-leap-of-faith-and-scoring-a-new-batman/

Next, you’re doing another superhero film, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, featuring the Superman you’ve scored before for Man of Steel, and also a character that you’ve approached before in a different cinematic context, Batman. Are you doing a different take on Batman, or drawing from your established theme, or something else?

You know something? I have agonized over it. I agonized over it, so much so that finally, I went, I don’t want to betray what Chris, James Newton Howard and I did. And so I asked Zack [Snyder] if it would be OK if I called a friend in. And I’m going to be working with Junkie XL, who really is a great friend. He just finished the Mad Max score. I said to him, “You take care of Batman. I’ll do the other guy.” And Zack loved that idea. It’s a way out.

I love this because Zimmer is neither phoning it in nor letting his pride come before the film. Letting someone else take point on a new Batman makes sense if you're not immediately inspired to completely reinvent your own definitive take.

I think Batman will be DC's Black Widow, he'll be in alot of the movies, but won't get his own at least not for a while. So almost a BTBTB approach.

Platy

Does the sandman movies enter this ?

Or things will only get REALLY interesting when the Main Man joins the gang ?

dan2026

Why is there going to be a different Flash on TV and in the movies?

That seems really dumb.

Also it kind of boggles the mind that we still don't have a great modern Superman movie.
DC/Warner arent just slow, they are backwards.

Effect

That seems really dumb.

They're separate universes. This is being done so the TV universe isn't beholden to what the movies do and the other way around. It gives both sides more freedom to tell the stories they want.

dan2026

They're separate universes. This is being done so the TV universe isn't beholden to what the movies do and the other way around. It gives both sides more freedom to tell the stories they want.

But surely it would make more sense for everything to be connected.

Marvel's TV and movies are connected just like the comics they are based on.

Making TV Flash and movie Flash separate is confusing for everybody.

Mario007

I think Batman will be DC's Black Widow, he'll be in alot of the movies, but won't get his own at least not for a while. So almost a BTBTB approach.
DC already confirmed Batman and Superman will get solo films. I think the leaked schedule talked about MoS2 and the dates DC reserved for the number of years ahead had them pretty much with 3 DC movies a year and so far only 2 movies per year are announced.
Does the sandman movies enter this ?

Or things will only get REALLY interesting when the Main Man joins the gang ?
Vertigo and Sandman will be announced seperately and seem like they won't be parts of DCCU.

Do we know if they even intend to have Batman in the Justice League movies? It seems odd to start with the concept of an older Batman when deciding to build a universe.

Tabby

Do we know if they even intend to have Batman in the Justice League movies? It seems odd to start with the concept of an older Batman when deciding to build a universe.
I mean they said that Batman in this universe is still seen as a "myth" and that criminals don't see him. If that's the case he can't be that old.

I like it when Superman and Batman are best buds, not when Batman is older and acts like a mentor.

ReiGun

The only people who are likely to be confused are people like us: forum dwellers who already know what's up. General audiences don't care.

Penguin

And as most people usually counter it
1)Either doesn't benefit the TV series (AoS first half was awful due to them having to dance around the whole HYDRA business)

2)It is so far removed it only matters to fans.

3)It's connected, but only on a one way street.

a916

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...ellar-leap-of-faith-and-scoring-a-new-batman/

I love this because Zimmer is neither phoning it in nor letting his pride come before the film. Letting someone else take point on a new Batman makes sense if you're not immediately inspired to completely reinvent your own definitive take.

Damnit... I really hoped he would just score the thing. I've loved his Dark Knight trilogy/Man of Steel score.

EDIT: Seeing as they both have collaborated on Dark Knight Rises and Inception, I think we'll be fine here.... (along with Man of Steel)

Would anyone else think a Star Trek:TNG approach to the DCCU would work. You create establish everything in the shows then it all culminates with a few movies after the TV shows have run their course.

Penguin

So was curious if anyone else had any input on my DC Animated List on the other page.

Gonna try to organize an order, if nothing else will be fun for me

Effect

So was curious if anyone else had any input on my DC Animated List on the other page.

Gonna try to organize an order, if nothing else will be fun for me

I would add "Fearful Symmetry" to the Justice League Unlimited section. That's the Galatea vs Supergirl episode and I believe the one that starts the whole Camdus storyline in JLU. It's also a Green Arrow/Supergirl team up and ties into "Legacy" from Superman TAS.

Maddocks

Wonder if it is a full blown role or will it be a simple 2 minute cameo thing and save him for another movie because I can see them using Harley of course and having a little montage of how they selected the squad and having her with the joker would be her intro.

That seems really dumb.

Also it kind of boggles the mind that we still don't have a great modern Superman movie.
DC/Warner arent just slow, they are backwards.

you forgot to add clusterfuck and trainwreck that's bloated.

Anth0ny

Hmmm, interesting if true. I've learned not make knee-jerk judgment calls on Joker castings ;)

Seriously. I kinda shrug in general when it comes to casting news ever since Heath. Just gotta wait and see.

That GAF thread when he was announced as Joker is classic.

Hmmm, interesting if true. I've learned not make knee-jerk judgment calls on Joker castings ;)

From what I hear he's a phenomenal actor. His credential alone makes me pumped because I finally get the sense that DC is taking their properties seriously. My only reservation is that I think it might be too soon to bring the Joker. Though I'm speaking specifically from my own experience since it's so fresh in my mind, I mean I still remember sitting in the theater watching Ledger give the performance of his life. But to be fair, eight years is a long time, it's an entire generation as the kids of 2006 are now annoying teenagers. If this rumor turns out to be true, even if Leto doesn't sign on, it's exciting to know we'll be getting to see the Joker yet again on the big screen.

Seriously. I kinda shrug in general when it comes to casting news ever since Heath. Just gotta wait and see.

That GAF thread when he was announced as Joker is classic.

Link for the curious? :O

I don't begrudge anyone for thinking Ledger would be terrible choice. I thought the same thing when I heard the announcement since Hollywood gets casting wrong more often than not. I guess the grand lesson I learned from that experience was to be more opened minded. This mentality got me through the casting of Eisenberg and will be greatly tested for Gadot.

Still funny though.

Vyer

My son has discovered Brave and the Bold. He is fascinated. He's been really hooked on the Music Meister episode. He's watched that thing like ten times already.

Penguin

My son has discovered Brave and the Bold. He is fascinated. He's been really hooked on the Music Meister episode. He's watched that thing like ten times already.

One of my favorite episodes of any animated cartoon

I get why, but weird that it was an one-off and never bought him back.

ReiGun

Didn't know if this was new thread worthy as it's not really news, but I still wanted to talk about it. One of the names commonly thrown into the ring is Lexi Alexander, director of Punisher: War Zone. However, in an interview with Fast Company, Alexander states she has no plans to pursue the job.

“Imagine the weight on my shoulders,” she says. “How many male superhero movies fail? So now, we finally get Wonder Woman with a female director, imagine if it fails. And you have no control over marketing, over budget. So without any control, you carry the fucking weight of gender equality for both characters and women directors. No way.”

..."I don’t see at this point why anyone would say yes. There is huge pressure … If [a female director] does fail, then all of a sudden it’s ‘all women suck at directing.’”

On the other hand, Alexander has heard at least one woman was offered the job.

She said she heard Warner Bros. had been made an offer to another female director.

“If she says yes, everybody will be very happy, including me,”

Link to the interview.

So that's one woman director down. Aside from wondering who the woman Alexander is talking about, it has hit me how much pressure whichever woman gets the job of directing Wonder Woman is going to be under. You can't possibly screw up there due the massive expectations. I suspect the director of Capt. Marvel will be under similar pressure (I'd bet Vegas money Marvel Studios wants a woman to direct that one), but not to as much extent given how much is riding on this movie and Wonder Woman higher standing in pop culture.

The juicier bit for speculation, of course, is that WB has asked at least one woman to take the job. Any guesses as to who it could be?

Loxley

Didn't know if this was new thread worthy as it's not really news, but I still wanted to talk about it. One of the names commonly thrown into the ring is Lexi Alexander, director of Punisher: War Zone. However, in an interview with Fast Company, Alexander states she has no plans to pursue the job.

On the other hand, Alexander has heard at least one woman was offered the job.

Link to the interview.

So that's one woman director down. Aside from wondering who the woman Alexander is talking about, it has hit me how much pressure whichever woman gets the job of directing Wonder Woman is going to be under. You can't possibly screw up there due the massive expectations. I suspect the director of Capt. Marvel will be under similar pressure (I'd bet Vegas money Marvel Studios wants a woman to direct that one), but not to as much extent given how much is riding on this movie and Wonder Woman higher standing in pop culture.

The juicier bit for speculation, of course, is that WB has asked at least one woman to take the job. Any guesses as to who it could be?

Based on Alexander's response, if it's not Bigelow...then I have no idea. She's the only female director I can think of that would "make everyone very happy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom