• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

The worst place on GAF to mention WB/DC is in MCU threads, you won't find many neutral opinions in there. What you will find on occasion is an amusing lack of self-awareness. The same fans who were vehemently defending Marvel when everyone said movies like Thor, Captain America, and GotG would bomb terribly are now turning around and claiming DC's movies will surely bomb. Which is strange to me since the success of Arrow and the new Flash show are proof that there's an appetite for DC characters who aren't named Batman and Superman, just as long as they're treated properly.

It's a bummer that so many are hostile towards mentioning DC in the same sentence as Marvel these days, it makes discussing all of these comic book adaptions not nearly as fun as it could be. Heck I feel awkward just mentioning that I think X2 and DoFP are better films than any of the MCU stuff for fear that I'll be ganged up on.
Which is exactly why I avoid all Marvel threads.
Every time I go in it's always "MAHVEL BABBYYYY" and "DC get rekt" bs.
Not everything is a competition but some fans don't see it that way, shame.

Welp, Warner certainly have their work cut out for them. Now I'm really curious to see if they'll release a teaser trailer for BvS with The Hobbit just to get the hype train going now - even if the film is still 16 months out. It wouldn't even have to be elaborate, just a logo with some dialogue over it and then a release date.

Now don't misunderstand. I enjoy both properties and I plan on watching all the Marvel movies as well as the upcoming DC movies. But I personally found the announcement very underwhelming. The biggest news to me is that the next Avengers movie will be a two part story about the Infinity war and that Captain America will adapt the civil war storyline. As for the rest, I mean we knew most of the movies. I guess Black Panther and the Ms. Marvel movie is big but I don't know enough about the characters to really care at this point. It is cool that they are opening up diversity on the team though. And to be fair to Marvel they have been on a roll quality wise when it comes to their movies. They established this with Guardians, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But compared to the DC line-up I still think WB has the edge:

July 17, 2015: Ant-Man
May 6, 2016: Captain America: Civil War
November 4, 2016: Doctor Strange
May 5, 2017: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
July 28, 2017: Thor: Ragnarok
November 3, 2017: Black Panther
May 4, 2018: Avengers: Infinity War PART I
July 6, 2018: Captain Marvel
November 2, 2018: The Inhumans
May 3, 2019: Avengers: Infinity Wars PART II

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice- March 25th, 2016
Suicide Squad – August 5th, 2016
Wonder Woman – 2017
Justice League: Part One – 2017
The Flash – 2018
Aquaman – 2018
Shazam – 2019
Justice League: Part Two – 2019
Cyborg – 2020
Green Lantern - 2020

DC just has the bigger more known and more anticipated properties, minus Cyborg. And yes, I know Suicide Squad isn't as known of a property as the rest but it's essentially the Justice League for super villains. The only movie I'm really down on, on the DC side is Cyborg. I love the character but I just feel like a solo movie is wrong, I feel like DC is trying to set him up as the "Iron Man" of the DCU. I'd much rather see Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle in his place. But even still, I think DC has the edge so long as they don't fuck it up by giving us bad movies. And as we have seen in the past, that is very much a possibility. But I honestly think DC has their collective crap together this time.

Flash is so good, I honestly would rather have all my favorite heroes have a TV show of that quality than a movie (ideally both though).

Effect

So this thread was actually created. Nice. Was looking for it on the regular OT side.

After today's announcement I really do hope WB/DC are paying close attention to what Marvel is doing. When it comes to making sure story and plot points are planned out. The movies are announced but the follow through needs to be there. I have hopes it will be but constant reminders are good. Not to compete with Marvel but to make sure these films are as good as they can be first and foremost.

Loxley

I'm curious what direction WB are going to go with Green Lantern. He's obviously going to be in the Justice League films in the lead-up to his solo outing in 2020 (yikes). Will it be Hal Jordan again? Kyle? John? Heck, Guy? Obviously if they go with John they'd further the diversity of the team, I guess it depends on how much they'll want to distance themselves from the Ryan Reynolds disaster. Not that many people even remember that movie.

So this thread was actually created. Nice. Was looking for it on the regular OT side.

After today's announcement I really do hope WB/DC are paying close attention to what Marvel is doing. When it comes to making sure story and plot points are planned out. The movies are announced but the follow through needs to be there. I have hopes it will be but constant reminders are good. Not to compete with Marvel but to make sure these films are as good as they can be first and foremost.

If this doesn't convince WB/DC to get their asses in gear, then I don't know what will. It's awesome to see Marvel on top of the world considering they were near bankruptcy in the late-90's. It's good for DC too, since it'll force them to step up their game
and ditch Goyer -_-

Or...

and hear me out on this

they say Christopher Nolan is producing and then market the SHIT out of that fact

J10

Banned
I really like the Flash TV series so far. It would be really cool if they're planning to tie that into the movieverse with the Crisis references. That would be even more out there than what Marvel is doing. I haven't seen any Gotham or Arrow yet.

It is sort of odd that Marvel is essentially doing the same thing DC did a few weeks ago (Releasing the names and dates of their upcoming movies over the next 5 years) but with far lesser known characters, yet they got a much larger response in the media than DC. I guess it is because marvel was the first one that proved making an elaborate interconnected cinematic universe between a large amount of franchises can work. People here in GAF will probably start getting hyped for DC's movies too once they show the justice league movie can work or when they inevitably have a movie in their cinematic universe that doesn't get a lukewarm response. With DC, most of it is still potential. With marvel, since there's already an Avengers movie and a trailer for the sequel coming out next year, its happening now.

J10

Banned
It is sort of odd that Marvel is essentially doing the same thing DC did a few weeks ago (Releasing the names and dates of their upcoming movies over the next 5 years) but with far lesser known characters, yet they got a much larger response in the media than DC. I guess it is because marvel was the first one that proved making an elaborate interconnected cinematic universe between a large amount of franchises can work. People here in GAF will probably start getting hyped for DC's movies too once they show the justice league movie can work or when they inevitably have a movie in their cinematic universe that doesn't get a lukewarm response. With DC, most of it is still potential. With marvel, since there's already an Avengers movie and a trailer for the sequel coming out next year, its happening now.

Marvel has the insane momentum. The perception is that DC is going to perpetually be playing catch-up.

Penguin

dis thread be dead mon

Well it will be, I mean the EARLIEST movie is still a year and a half out, and has its own dedicated thread.

I created it now to kind of be a catch-all for DC movie rumors/speculation/casting news because I don't like creating threads for baseless rumors, but I do think fun to discuss at times.

Was also planning a community project.. if I find the time.

A sampling of DC's Animated Efforts in some sort of continued timeline to watch over the 80 some odd weeks until BvS

Stuff like BTAS, STAS, The Batman Season 5, some of their animated films, etc

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Great thread!
It's nice to have a central thread to discuss this
and for people to ask if Arrowverse is part of DCCU

I thought it was pretty good. >_>

Is there a thread for fans of both? A neutral thread where Marvel-GAF and DC-GAF can coexist in harmony. Where all we fight about is who in the MCU could beat MoS Superman.
There is sadly few of us :(
Also it's better to have them separated to avoid flame wars and all that I think.

The difference is that Marvel did a full blown spectacle of the unveiling, while WB/DC did it at an investors meeting which is far more subdued.

Odoul

I just finished Arkham Asylum for the first time last night. I am so fucking ready!

I loved Man of Steel and I get the feeling BvS is going to be just insane.

Sucks it's so far away though!

Speaking of Arkham, what are the chances this guy shows up in BvS or Suicide Squad?

Warden.jpg

I could even see him being combined with Amanda Waller into a composite character. There's a perfect actor to play him too!

Forest-Whitaker.jpg

dis thread be dead mon

We're still a ways out. It's good to establish a place to discuss non BvS news (which there is little of still), casting choices, and theories.

It'd be nice to see Amadeus show up in the batman solo films, Nolan actually had a lot of comic book characters show up in films like commissioner loeb and the falcone/carmine family and if Affleck ends up directing he's a pretty big comic book fan. It'd be easy to see a vet batman visit Arkham and interact with characters like Amadeus. Maybe they'll adapt elements of Arkham Asylum to a movie.

Penguin

So this is still in the works but since there is like 70 + weeks to go until the first movie, I was thinking of putting together a list of episodes and movies from various DC projects to watch like once a week to pass the time and discuss if folks are interested.

It won't be a full re-watch of anything (though free to do it), but would be a combination of things that leads to Batman V Superman and DC's Cinematic Universe in some ways.

This is base off of eyeballing a list, and being bored on my commute!

DCUA
  • Justice League New Frontier
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Lantern: First Flight
  • Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
  • Superman/Batman Apocalypse
  • Batman Under the Red Hood
  • Batman Year One
  • Justice League: Doom
  • The Dark Knight Returns Part 1/2
  • Superman Unbound
  • Superman Brainiac Attacks
  • Justice League War
  • Assault on Arkham
  • JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time
  • DC Original Shorts

DCAU
Batman TAS
  • Mask of the Phantasm
  • On Leather Wings
  • Heart of Ice
  • Perchance to DReam
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
  • I am The Night
  • Shadow of the Bat 1/2
  • Bane
  • Robin's Reckoning 1/2

TNBA
  • Sins of the Father
  • Legends of the Dark Knight

Superman: TAS
  • The Last Son of Krypton
  • A Little Piece of Home
  • Stolen Memories
  • Blast from the Past 1/2
  • Apokolips 1/2
  • Little Girl Lost 1/2
  • Legacy 1/2

Superman/Batman
  • World's Finest
  • Knight Time
  • The Demon Reborn

Justice League/Unlimited
  • Secret Origins
  • The Enemy Below
  • The Brave and the Bold
  • Paradise Lost
  • Only a Dream
  • A Better World
  • Initiation
  • For the Man Who HAs Everything
  • Task Force X
  • I am Legion

The Batman
  • The Joining 1/2
  • The Batman/Superman Story 1/2
  • A Mirror Darkly
  • Ring Toss
  • What Goes Up...
  • Lost Heroes 1/2

I think that's a rough pass.
So if you have any suggestions for things to add or remove or wants an explanation.

Penguin

I would add Superman vs The Elite (standalone story based on GN) and Batman: Sub-Zero (part of Batman TAS universe).

I dig those films, but guess was keeping em off because didn't deal with the general theme was trying to go for.

Either focused on characters in BvS or who have solo filmed announced or Justice League team-ups or... introduced a rumored villain (Darkseid, Brainiac, etc)

But we shall see, have weeks to fill!

I know before they announced the slate that people were confused about Shazam and his role in the Justice League because it was being developed by New Line and not WB.

So, is it safe to assume Shazam is part of the main universe now with him being included in the slate announcement? (unlike Vertigo films / Justice League Dark). Should try to shoot Geoff Johns an email to get some clarification, he seems to be the one in charge of coordinating the movies and their canon.

Effect

I know before they announced the slate that people were confused about Shazam and his role in the Justice League because it was being developed by New Line and not WB.

So, is it safe to assume Shazam is part of the main universe now with him being included in the slate announcement? (unlike Vertigo films / Justice League Dark). Should try to shoot Geoff Johns an email to get some clarification, he seems to be the one in charge of coordinating the movies and their canon.

Would be nice to get some confirmation on that. It's such a waste to just have The Rock but not have him interact with the others that have been cast. Hell it's a waste to have Shazam and all those other characters, especially the villains isolated. Warner Bros already has their films that will be of a lighter ton to be aimed at kids and families when it comes to the Lego films and now the Harry Potter spin off. There's no reason to put Shazam in that group as well.

Maybe the idea was/is to have New Line handle it because it would be such a big project and they want them to have more work to take the load off WB proper? Maybe they felt their work on The Hobbit and LOTR made them better suited for something like Shazam's world or locations that might be visit so the tone stays unique. Maybe they'll be handling other films as well but it hasn't been announced but they'll all be in the same universe.

We really just need clarification.

Anth0ny

Please don't fuck it up, DC.

They have a great thing going with the TV universe, and their animated universe is god tier. Now nail the cinematic universe and we're golden.

First step is looking at Man of Steel and not doing that again.

strafer

They have a great thing going with the TV universe, and their animated universe is god tier. Now nail the cinematic universe and we're golden.

But what they did with Man of Steel is show Marvel how to really do a superhero movie.

Josh Weedon could really learn from Zack Snyder.

Loxley

The one thing I like about Man of Steel is that was stylistically very different from anything in the MCU. For as much as everyone loves to scream that DC are copying Marvel, there's absolutely nothing in the MCU that's even vaguely similar to Man of Steel. There's a squeaky-clean look to the films of the MCU that screams Disney to me. Which is perfectly fine, but the consequence is that the MCU feels too safe right now. Heck, even GotG (for as great as it was) felt like a live-action Saturday morning cartoon. The Winter Soldier was the first time I felt like there was a palpable sense of danger in that universe - which is part of why I think so many people liked it.

While I never felt like Superman was ever in any particular danger in MOS, the way Snyder shot the film and depicted the action, I absolutely believed these characters could - and would - kill each other. If MOS is anything to go by, it seems as though death and danger won't be side-lined in the DCCU, which I'm all for. Especially seeing as death plays such a huge part in the Batman mythos.

Penguin

Oh reminds me, should add "Clash" to my Justice League Unlimited list... only problem is feel like would need to do a bunch of Cadmus

Penguin

First Wonder Woman film to take place in the...1920s? o_O

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...war-ii/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It’s not. I have been informed by those who have seen the greenlit treatment that the film will spends the first half on Paradise Island with warring Amazon factions vying for control.

An arrival of a man on the island changes that status quo, as he asks the Amazons for help. Not necessarily Steve Trevor either…

Because when Wonder Woman joins him on his return to the world of Man, we all discover that it is the 1920s. And the film will then show Diana exploring that world – a world where women have only just got the vote – from her… unique perspective.

Just saw a picture of USA Today with Black Panther on the cover claiming that diversity is powering the latest Marvel movies. I think they don't know what diversity is.

Loxley

So basically the Wonder Woman stand-alones would be prequels to BvS? Odd. Then again, doing so would alleviate the problem that you have after your big team-up movie; which is, "where the heck are the other heroes?".

Grain of salt obviously, but making them period-pieces would certainly have the potential to be very interesting.

Oh reminds me, should add "Clash" to my Justice League Unlimited list... only problem is feel like would need to do a bunch of Cadmus

So good, the KC references + the hero speech at the end.

Cyborg movie should be scrapped for Teen Titans, and Shazam should be involved

I'd like a Teen Titans movie, this would work quite well because having a superboy seems redundant with supes on JL. It seems that DC is pushing cyborg/shazam on the team pretty hard with the animated movies. I'm surprised the JLA roster has stayed as stable as it has in the comics right now, usually they shake up the roster every year.

Would be nice to get some confirmation on that. It's such a waste to just have The Rock but not have him interact with the others that have been cast. Hell it's a waste to have Shazam and all those other characters, especially the villains isolated. Warner Bros already has their films that will be of a lighter ton to be aimed at kids and families when it comes to the Lego films and now the Harry Potter spin off. There's no reason to put Shazam in that group as well.

Maybe the idea was/is to have New Line handle it because it would be such a big project and they want them to have more work to take the load off WB proper? Maybe they felt their work on The Hobbit and LOTR made them better suited for something like Shazam's world or locations that might be visit so the tone stays unique. Maybe they'll be handling other films as well but it hasn't been announced but they'll all be in the same universe.

We really just need clarification.

I tweeted GJ no response yet. I think it is canon, just logistic issues (so many movies to make) that made them give it out to New Line. Too bad they don't have legendary pictures under contract still, but there's nothing wrong with New Line.

I want movies to look nice

MoS does look nice, it just doesn't look bright, like the MCU. Everything in the MCU is Vividly colored. TWS is the least vividly colored of the MCU but that's probably due to the lack of vividly colored heroes. No giant green Hulk, hot rod red and gold Iron man, no crimson caped Thor, Falcon is reduced to military drab, hell even Cap' uniform goes from Vivid red, white and blue, to Navy Blue with minimal white trim.

As for the BSG camera Zooms those should be confined to shots that are trying to convey scale, or to be Supes' POV for his enhanced vision.

Anth0ny

It's too bad there isn't a green arrow movie.

Oh well.

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised as well. Though I'd be disappointed if Amell wasn't the lead. I love Arrow, but have the ratings been high for the show? What are DVD/Blu Ray sales like? Are Green Arrow comics selling better? I can't really get a grasp on the character's popularity... all I know is a ton of my friends LOVE the show, and some of them aren't even comic book (movie) fans.

Side note: I legit can't believe how hated Dark Knight Rises is on GAF by some people. Jeeeeeeeeeeesus.

It's too bad there isn't a green arrow movie.

Oh well.

I'm not surprised nor really disappointed. I love GA, but it would be weird to throw him in a movie by himself in the same universe with all these demi-gods running around. It would be cool to see him in a phase 2 DCMU where super heroes are more common and the Justice League is recruiting... But for now, he's fine where he is on TV. Now a Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle movie... that's a movie I want to see! Especially over that Cyborg movie as it could be a perfect lead in for the new Green Lantern reboot!

G-Fex

I don't see why GA can't have his own movie.

I'd rather see a movie with him in it than yet another Batman movie

TV Green Arrow is more Batman than he is comic Green Arrow. I think a movie Green Arrow would have to either replace Batman's movie or be different from the show. Ollie is way more wisecracking, a playboy and an outspoken liberal. He hasn't reached the tone yet on the show, he's basically acting exactly like Batman right now, secluded /doesn't want an alter ego.

I'd love to see that super max film get made or a Green Lantern/Green Arrow team up.

I don't see why GA can't have his own movie.

He totally could and it would easily work. I just don't think it would make sense to give him a movie within this first phase. I mean, with the slate of movies we have coming out, WB is essentially setting up the various aspects of the DCMU. Magic with Wonder Woman and Aquaman, Technology with Cyborg, Space with Green Lantern, etc. I don't see where GA would fit into this world building construction project. I think including him could actually have negative effects, like unintentionally diminish Batman's perceived prowess, as they probably want his role as the only "normal human" worthy being amongst god like super heroes on the Justice League.

TV Green Arrow is more Batman than he is comic Green Arrow. I think a movie Green Arrow would have to either replace Batman's movie or be different from the show. Ollie is way more wisecracking, a playboy and an outspoken liberal. He hasn't reached the tone yet on the show, he's basically acting exactly like Batman right now, secluded /doesn't want an alter ego.

I'd love to see that super max film get made or a Green Lantern/Green Arrow team up.

Yes. While I love the Arrow's TV interpretation, I feel like we have yet to get a true representation of the character from the comics. A cheeky, liberal self-aware superhero would be a breath of fresh air to this genre. And once they establish the universe I could see them easily introduce characters like Black Canary that are also more true to their comic-book counter part. A GL/GA movie would be a perfect way to debut this character. But again, at the moment I just think it's just too early for Green Arrow in the DCMU.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Am I the only one who considers the lack of an Batman Solofilm as an big mistake? I think I know why they are doing this (Nolans TDK Trilogie is still so young), but around 2019/2020 they should have planed one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom