• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone: DF PC Tech Review + Graphics/Performance Thread

Md Ray

System Requirements

MINIMUM:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K@3.3GHz or AMD FX 6300@3.5GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4 GB)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 70 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Though not required, SSD for storage and 16 GB of memory is recommended

RECOMMENDED:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K@3.5GHz or Ryzen 5 1500X@3.5GHz
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8 GB)
  • Additional Notes: Though not required, SSD for storage is recommended

Game Ready Graphics Drivers

NVIDIA: v466.47
AMD: v21.5.2

Graphics improvements over PlayStation versions
  • Increased level of details (Geometry)
  • Higher-res textures
  • Improved lighting (Screen Space Global Illumination)
  • Increased foliage draw distances
  • Increased field of view
Additional features/improvements
  • Unlocked framerates
  • Ultra-wide monitor support

Days Gone PC Tech Review: PS5 Comparisons, Settings Analysis + More​

Written article:
Days Gone PC: a quality conversion that elevates the console experience • Eurogamer.net

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
RECOMMENDED:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K@3.5GHz or Ryzen 5 1500X@3.5GHz
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8 GB)
  • Additional Notes: Though not required, SSD for storage is recommended
So my sexy GTX 2070 can run it. Nice, my 2070 will last me for a couple of years more baby.

Md Ray

So, better textures, yay or nay?
I did my own brief comparisons against base PS4 vs PC (max settings). PS4 textures look identical to PC's max setting (nope textures are, indeed, of higher quality, I only had a brief look so pardon me), but the biggest difference comes from dramatically reduced pop-ins due to better geometry draw distance.

Better draw distance is a big yay!

Last edited:

TheKratos

I did my own brief comparisons against base PS4 vs PC (max settings). PS4 textures look identical to PC's max setting, but the biggest difference comes from dramatically reduced pop-ins due to better geometry draw distance.

I don't believe this. If PS4 textures are same on PC max then they did a bad job.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Despite all the better settings, it does not look THAT much different from ps5 version. TExtures are sharer, GI is a bit better. All good stuff.
Weird about road decals and stuttering despite even framepacing.
Maybe I should go for ps5 bc version instead of buying it on pc for now

VFXVeteran

Banned
I did my own brief comparisons against base PS4 vs PC (max settings). PS4 textures look identical to PC's max setting, (nope textures are indeed of higher quality, I only had a brief look so pardon me) but the biggest difference comes from dramatically reduced pop-ins due to better geometry draw distance.

More than that. The textures are either the same and the PC has much better filtering quality than PS4 or they are higher res.

The big upgrade in this is definitely -- once again -- the lighting. They have a beautiful implementation of SSGI that looks way better than the typical AO. That alone is worth the price.

Last edited:

Md Ray

The big upgrade in this is definitely -- once again -- the lighting. They have a beautiful implementation of SSGI that looks way better than the typical AO. That alone is worth the price.
It is also one of the biggest perf hitters. Worth it IMO next to higher quality geometry detail.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Despite all the better settings, it does not look THAT much different from ps5 version. TExtures are sharer, GI is a bit better. All good stuff.
Weird about road decals and stuttering despite even framepacing.
Maybe I should go for ps5 bc version instead of buying it on pc for now
There is a remarked difference in the lighting/shadow and texturing. If you don't see the difference here, then you won't tell the difference with most next-gen games having similar upgrades from last-gen.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is a remarked difference in the lighting/shadow and texturing. If you don't see the difference here, then you won't tell the difference with most next-gen games having similar upgrades from last-gen.
Of course I see it. I just don't see it as drastic. It's a bit better. You know... not a remaster type better or anything.
Edit: I mean cmon. It's subtle at best. When You look for it, the textures and loading times are biggest difference but overall it's not that huge.
WHICH IS OK. ITS AS EXPECTED. GREAT. All I want from this ports is better textures and 4k120 possibility. Like Death Stranding. nice
Q4HTSSU.jpg

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

I'm happy PC players can now finally enjoy this Playstation classic, Days Gone was a fun game when I played it a few years ago, also it was nice getting it for free on PS+.
Alex seems really happy he found some upgrades. I must admit, the shadow upgrades look nice.

Last edited:
aint no one stopping the game to zoom into the graphic... when the game is flowing and playing it looks the same. these are pointless comparisons.

everyone knows that resolution will always be better on PC

Mithos

That decal "issue", I've seen similar things on Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 vs PC, where decals seems to have problem being displayed in the correct order.

Seems like a max setting 100% 60fps locked game for my PC based on this video.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Hmm, it's weird to compare it with the PS5 version since the patch it received only doubled the framerate cap. All the graphical aspects are the same on PS4 Pro.
How is it weird? Would you rather them compare it to a hypothetical version that isn’t available or the highest fidelity version that IS available?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hmm, it's weird to compare it with the PS5 version since the patch it received only doubled the framerate cap. All the graphical aspects are the same on PS4 Pro.
Some tried to explain this in another thread and it led to some back n forths that made me just bail, lol.

There is no PS5 version. Its literally comparing the game running by BC on PS5.

How is it weird? Would you rather them compare it to a hypothetical version that isn’t available or the highest fidelity version that IS available?
It was framed as the "PS5 version" the game running by BC.

There is no PS5 version. There is only a PS4 version.

its one issue I have with doing analysis with games in BC. It should be clearly stated as such.

Last edited:
Some tried to explain this in another thread and it led to some back n forths that made me just bail, lol.

There is no PS5 version. Its literally comparing the game running by BC on PS5.

It was framed as the "PS5 version" the game running by BC.

There is no PS5 version. There is only a PS4 version.

its one issue I have with doing analysis with games in BC. It should be clearly stated as such.

You're manifesting yourself like some retards from resetera who are just losing their shit in the thread there because Ales didnt say the entire video, screaming in fact that its not actually a native ps5 version.

Holly fuck, sony tribals are so demented that they perceive as a slight against the allfather lord sony. They feel lord sony was mistreated here and theres a need to protect our lord.

Holly fuck. This is the ps5 version of the game. The only way in existence to play the game on ps5. Its a ps5 version. Fucking semantics because tribals cant handle someone not cocksucking sony every minute of the day

Vick

Gold Member
Man those new textures are nice!
Good improvements all around, i'll double dip no doubt in the future since i absolutely love this game and the guys behind it deserve every penny and recognition.

That decal "issue", I've seen similar things on Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 vs PC, where decals seems to have problem being displayed in the correct order.
Yeah that's annoying, and considering how absolutely immense this game is i don't want to imagine in how many instances that would happen.
The care that went into crafting every inch of the world was one of my favorite aspects of the game so i hope they'll fix it along with the performance issues, and maybe also bring DLSS and RT.

Sure they can now. Game does not have meh controls anymore.
Except it never had meh controls, what kind of take is that?
Was designed to be played with the PS controller and felt amazing on the Dualsense. It's also one of the few games to implement gyro aiming.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Or is it a case of controller = inferior for peasants etc? In that case I'm not getting involved.
No. But controller still slower and less accurate even with gyro plus claw grip, bad button layout/lack of buttons leading to stuff like weapon wheel and the L3 and R3 abominations.

Last edited:

MetalRain

Only "fault" I've seen so far is some button prompts have bit too low resolution. Otherwise runs well, looks good enough, it's a great port. I really liked lighting in the original, that soft overcast weather looks good.

I hope Sony continues to bring great games to PC, maybe just don't take 2-3 years to do it?

Last edited:

tioslash

Runs pretty well on a 2070S so far but I have a weird camera stuttering when moving the mouse around despite the fps well above 100.

It seems to only go away if I enable that "mouse smoothing" setting.

ClosBSAS

Runs pretty well on a 2070S so far but I have a weird camera stuttering when moving the mouse around despite the fps well above 100.

It seems to only go away if I enable that "mouse smoothing" setting.
ya mouse has a bad deadzone if its lower than 800 dpi. so u get a stutter. on my 2070s running smooth at 1440p. game looks good and is even well optimized for my 1050 notebook.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Except it never had meh controls, what kind of take is that?
Was designed to be played with the PS controller and felt amazing on the Dualsense. It's also one of the few games to implement gyro aiming.
I can't speak for that poster, but I HATED the controls. It felt like they got 85% of the way there and then stopped as far as controls go. Gyro aiming just doesn't quite go far enough, it isn't sensitive enough and as a result feels half baked. BotW has amazing gyro aiming controls and I wish DG worked similar and besides the 30fps cap and dog shit load times, it's controls were my biggest issue, and there are so many other games with a better implementation. Maybe it feels better with the Dual Sense, but it's pretty shitty with the DS4 on PS4.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good news PC gamers. Load times about 70% faster if you got a good PC SSD even against DG on PS5, and no cutscene load screens.

Beyond the realm of visuals, the PC game now spends a lot less time loading than it does on consoles - even on PlayStation 5. For game loading in general, a 9.5 second load time on a fast NVMe PC SSD takes PS5 33.5 seconds by comparison, so I assume that this is an area where backwards compatibility isn't leveraging all of the storage potential or CPU power of the new console. This carries over to in-game moments as well, where even PS5 features some loading screens between gameplay and cutscenes. Meanwhile, playing on PC, a simple fade-to-black with no screens is used to mask loading, which does not break the flow of the game as much.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I can't speak for that poster, but I HATED the controls. It felt like they got 85% of the way there and then stopped as far as controls go. Gyro aiming just doesn't quite go far enough, it isn't sensitive enough and as a result feels half baked. BotW has amazing gyro aiming controls and I wish DG worked similar and besides the 30fps cap and dog shit load times, it's controls were my biggest issue, and there are so many other games with a better implementation. Maybe it feels better with the Dual Sense, but it's pretty shitty with the DS4 on PS4.
Sorry to hear that. Never tried the PS4 version but i had no issues whatsoever with the controls during my time with the game.
Quite the opposite in fact, it always felt super responsive and due to its animations is not something i was anticipating. Out of the hundreds of hours, in order to save ammo most were spent with the flow melee-roll-melee and it always felt amazing due to how smooth it is. Bike controls as well, fully upgraded was almost a Motorstorm spin-off.
Only shooting felt sub-par, in particular when it comes to precision (still easily managed to get the gold in the Marauders challenge with only headshots), but at the same time spraying hordes feels incredibly satisfying.
No idea how it would feel with a DS4 at even sub 30fps, and honestly i have zero desire to find out, but on PS5 i had a very pleasant experience.

Top Bottom