• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone coming to PC this Spring (More Sony games on the way)

Banjo64

cumsessed
yeah, it is indeed. Usually (it varies of course) pc gamers don't care if a game is old, i mean a lot of us still play shit from the 90s.
For sure, The Last of Us, God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, Bloodborne etc aren’t all dog shit just because they are 2 years + old. As they are single player games it doesn’t really matter if you experience them day one or 3 years later.

Lux R7

For sure, The Last of Us, God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, Bloodborne etc aren’t all dog shit just because they are 2 years + old. As they are single player games it doesn’t really matter if you experience them day one or 3 years later.

yeah and also there is something else to play in the meantime, it's not that someone has to wait, crying, for two years. if you care that much about that specific exclusive just buy the console.

Last edited:

Aenima

Its easy extra money to further develope more PS exclusives. Porting old PS exclusives to PC seems a good strategy and still gives a reason to own PS consoles as not all games are ported and not new games are being ported.

Last year Jim Ryan told that multiplayer games might release on PS and PC at same time though.

Fanboys are too close minded if they dont see the benefits of this. But i dont expect fanboys to have a full functional brain anyway.

Last edited:

SNG32

The issue is that in that case they don't make licensing money from third parties anymore.

When you buy CoD, Assassin's Creed or whatever on PS4 / PS5, Sony takes around 15-20% of the money. So the way the system makes money is the more people buy a PS, the more likely they are to buy at least some third party games on PS, which makes Sony money "for free".

So even if a game like Days Gone doesn't break even on its own (I don't kniw if it did), if it pushed at least a few tens of thousands of people to buy a PS4/5 those people are likely to also buy a few third party games for PS or subscribe to Plus, which makes Sony additional money.

Moving IPs to multiplatform means making more money on the first party games themselves, but pushing less people to buy your console and make you money there through additional purchases.

As long as only old-ish games are being ported, you can argue that by now all those who could have been convinced by them to buy a PS4 already did, so you are selling those games to people who would have never bought them or a PS otherwise.

But if Sony start to let go of new exclusives on their brand new console, it means they started to move away from a proprietary platform model and into a publisher/service provider one.

What's to stop them from making there playstation store active on pc. You can already get PS Now for it and do remote play. There's a difference between Microsoft and Playstation Exclusives. Sony has already established there brand with quality people are still going to pick a 500 dollar console over 1000+ dollar PC since console will always be the lowest cost of entry to gaming.

The publisher/service provider is inevitable you have the whole entertainment market going in that direction sooner or later this is going to happen to Sony. With the cost of gaming production and in order to maintain games at an affordable price I don't know how the industry especially in a traditional approach with being exclusive to one platform can sustain itself without some type of expansion. You can only sell so much consoles.

Last edited:

NEbeast

As a diehard Sony fan i think it's really cool that more Sony games are coming to other platforms. I sincerely hope Bloodborne will join the party soon. It drastically increases the chances of a remaster for PS5 and possibly a sequel
This. It's more money for ps studios for future games coming to ps5. I really don't care, I own a ps5 not a pc.

Its easy extra money to further develope more PS exclusives. Porting old PS exclusives to PC seems a good strategy and still gives a reason to own PS consoles as not all games are ported and not new games are being ported.

Yeah, but... some people think that Sony will release simultaneously PS5 games with PC. That won't happen. Also, funny when someone say will sell PS5 because 2 year old port. It doesn't make any sense

Last edited:

Dunki

Yeah people ,miss the potential here. GOD of WAr comes to PC. GOod of War 2 is not for a long long time. If you want to play it buy a Ps5.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah people ,miss the potential here. GOD of WAr comes to PC. GOod of War 2 is not for a long long time. If you want to play it buy a Ps5.
I guess GoW PS4 will be the next to launch on PC... probably late this year.
Seems like they are trying to launch all PS+ Collection on PC.

splattered

Wow some people are really delusional thinking Sony won't switch to day and date by next year once they get more PC development/porting and $$$ under their belts. Come on people, just let go and accept it.

Fredrik

Im actually happy with this

Another console that i dont need to buy

PC + Nintendo onwards
I think you’ll find that a console has it’s benefits. I have a PC and XSX. When I play with the kids or want the home theater and couch scenario I always play on XSX. The upside on the MS side of things is the save sync though, I wish Sony would implement that on their games as well, it’s great to go back and forth without having to replay.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Its alright saying 'PS5 games wont come to PC', but you're mad if you think they are releasing games like Horizon and Days Gone, and then NOT going to release the sequels, especially after the likes of Horizon have sold over 2mil just on Steam. And no, this isnt some plan to get PC gamers over to PS5, especially as PS5 is probably beong sold at a loss asit is. More and more games will be coming to PC, just accept it.

I was told from a very reliable source that the graphics engines are being rewritten to make room for the PC. This is a "thing" for sure going forward. It's just too good to pass up extra money from the PC space.

this is pretty good news for people that don't mind waiting 2+ years for PS exclusives.

If the games are good, they still be worth playing in 2 years won't they? If not that doesn't speak well for these exclusives.

I tend to wait to play new games on PC anyways. Even when these make their way over I still wait. I avoid the buggy launches of modern games and also get the game and it's DLCs for a lot less money that way. In the meantime I have more spare cash for other hobbies and am enjoying the games I am playing.

The only games I play day 1 are on Gamepass, or from a developer I trust not to release a buggy game.

Or just wait for the PC version like you did with the first one.

Every game should come to pc after its initial exclusive release on consoles.

Like make the next chapter in the big franchise exclusive for a couple years and release the first one on pc. Then rinse and repeate for the inevitable third one, etc.

They could even release day-and-date and no one would care. It's just fanboys screaming on the internet that care. Normal users just play the game where they're used to.

Last edited:

Dunki

Or just wait for the PC version like you did with the first one.
I did not wait but yes you can always wait. You also can wait to not buy Epic exclusives. But especially GOW ends on a fucking cliffhanger so either you have the patience or you are saying.

"Hmm i really want to see how it will continue and I always wanted to buy a playstation. So why not"

People do not have a lot of patience to wait 1 or even 2 years for a game^^

I did not wait but yes you can always wait. You also can wait to not buy Epic exclusives. But especially GOW ends on a fucking cliffhanger so either you have the patience or you are saying.

"Hmm i really want to see how it will continue and I always wanted to buy a playstation. So why not"

People do not have a lot of patience to wait 1 or even 2 years for a game^^

That's a good point, you're absolutely right that some people can't seem to wait for anything these days, that's why payment plans exist for shit like furniture after all.

I've never had an issue holding off buying things. If I play something 2 years old for the first time it's still new to me and I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers.

Hezekiah

Banned
I shouted Sony 1st party games coming for the PC for a long time but got ridiculed for it. I'm glad to see that my contacts were correct all along.
You said The Last of Us 2, when's that coming? Any time in the next year??

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Takes 2 seconds to cancel... better to write off the sunk cost and avoid undermining your entire brand.

I have already bought 2 PS5's despite the supply situation, I am one of the most hardcore PS fans and buy their exclusives as CE's on launch without fail..... this is insulting to me and I won't be supporting launches anymore.

First one I wont support is Returnal.... NO BUY!

AND I'll be pushing others not to buy too to send a message.

Bryan,

You have no one to blame but yourself. I told you over and over again last year and it went to death's ears. That's your fault for not taking me seriously.

Zathalus

You know, the console and PC gaming space has some overlap, but lots of people heavily prefer one over the other for a myriad of reasons. I'd bet the majority of gamers who purchase a console don't care that the game is on PC as well, as the PC is not specifically a option for them. They just want to know if the game they want to play is on the console that they care about. Most of the hardcore PC gaming demographic have no interest in consoles, and I bet the same is the reverse for a huge number of console players.

I think Microsoft and Sony both realized this (Microsoft much sooner) and that they can get a second revenue stream without impacting their console business. Hence you seeing more and more console (but not PC) exclusives.

Console gamer Joe does not care the game is on the PC as well, he either uses a Mac or a non-gaming laptop (or even no PC at all) and just wants to know if the game is on Xbox or Playstation.

Then you get idiots like me who have all 3 consoles and a gaming PC.

sunnysideup

Banned
Expected.

Both Xbox and PS will be releasing their games on PC. It's the nature of the beast. It's no longer just about hardware sales.

It was never about hardware sales. It was always about software sales. Third party software sales.

Platform holders made money of third party games. Not their own.

Last edited:

martino

Expected.

Both Xbox and PS will be releasing their games on PC. It's the nature of the beast. It's no longer just about hardware sales.
i mean most people not on pc are not there for reasons that will not change soon and vice and versa
there is little to gain sure but more to loose

Last edited:

Zathalus

Takes 2 seconds to cancel... better to write off the sunk cost and avoid undermining your entire brand.

I have already bought 2 PS5's despite the supply situation, I am one of the most hardcore PS fans and buy their exclusives as CE's on launch without fail..... this is insulting to me and I won't be supporting launches anymore.

First one I wont support is Returnal.... NO BUY!

AND I'll be pushing others not to buy too to send a message.
How does it fundamentally impact you as a Playstation user? Are you going to go out and purchase a gaming PC and completely change your gaming habits because some several year old exclusives end up on PC?

I highly doubt 1st party exclusives will launch simultaneously on PC and PS5.

What does it matter that somebody gets to play God of War on PC 3-4 years after it came out on Playstation? You played it first, and done and dusted it years ago.

S0ULZB0URNE

Wow some people are really delusional thinking Sony won't switch to day and date by next year once they get more PC development/porting and $$$ under their belts. Come on people, just let go and accept it.
They won't thinking they would is stupid.
Horizon ZD did terrible on PC. That was Sony testing the waters.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
46638c538abfd36f-.gif

Its amazing how people get so mad about brands. You are being played and you dont even realize it.

Bryank75

Banned
How does it fundamentally impact you as a Playstation user? Are you going to go out and purchase a gaming PC and completely change your gaming habits because some several year old exclusives end up on PC?

I highly doubt 1st party exclusives will launch simultaneously on PC and PS5.

What does it matter that somebody gets to play God of War on PC 3-4 years after it came out on Playstation? You played it first, and done and dusted it years ago.
Because I want them to buy a PlayStation to play it.... I want PS numbers to grow. Jim should have this goal too.

Top Bottom