• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled |OT| Oxide paved paradise to put up a parking lot

cormack12

Gold Member
SOVWttL.png

Y00odpT.png

Ji1lRGQ.png

Trailers

giphy.gif

Take it away Gaf

iD6KHXY.gif

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I only have insufficient time for games right now, so I will buy the game later (first need to play through Yoshi, Team Sonic Racing and Mario Maker 2 before I buy more new stuff). It does look nice though.

bosnianpie

Got the game early today and I'm really enjoying it so far. They've nailed the gameplay and the karts are really fun to drive, the tracks are beautiful and there's a bunch of stuff to unlock from other Crash racing games.

I'm a bit worried about the Wumpa Coins though. Playing the Classic Adventure mode I'm getting around 20 coins for winning a race. A costume, such as Pinstripe's gangster costume, costs 2500 coins. Other similar costumes (Coco princess) seem to be in the same price range. That's a lot of grinding to unlock them all and keep in mind that there are also characters, karts, decals etc. I'm still early in the game and I've only played offline, perhaps you earn more coins later on.

Other than that - great first impression.

Cattlyst

Still no reviews from actual games sites or on YouTube. Pretty Nsane considering the game is available to buy tomorrow. What's the deal with review embargoes going right up to the day of release?

Prison Mike

Banned
“That was Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell, a song in which Joni complains they 'Paved paradise to put up a parking lot', a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of paradise, something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world. Nevertheless, nice song.”

Fake

Someone who already playing the game:

- Can be played by dpad or just analogic?
- Can chamge the buttons for acceleration/brake?
- Size?
- Any perfomance issue or bug so far?

Thx.

Bakkus

“That was Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell, a song in which Joni complains they 'Paved paradise to put up a parking lot', a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of paradise, something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world. Nevertheless, nice song.”
Huh?

Edit: ok nevermind, online matchmaking seems completely fucked and looks like everybody just comes in first place or something. Just played a race where I got hit with a time slow-down that literally lasted 2 laps and everybody was just teleporting across the map.

D-pad and analog both work btw.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I'll pick it up on Switch in August probably. I have a bit of a backlog that I want to chip at and other upcoming games that are higher on my priority list.

Hostile_18

Banned
WELCOME TO THE WACKY, CRAZY, FUN WORLD OF CRASH TEAM RACINGGGGGG.

Now here's a 43 page terms of service for you to read, just in case you think you own this game.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Unless I'm missing something medium difficulty is well hard lol. I'm repeating the first few tracks multiple times to get 1st place (which you have to get).

Last edited:

Cattlyst

So Switch version is unplayable atm. Loading times feel worse than original.
See, this is the kind of detail the reviews seem happy to leave out. Haven't seen anyone mention the loading times or anything about if you can play online with two players like you can in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or if it requires a big update patch on Switch. All important factors when deciding with version to buy. Most of the reviews online are currently only focussed on the PS4 and XB1 version, nothing about the Switch version and any caveats that may have. It's quite annoying as I want the Switch version so I can play it on the train, but the Nintendo-specific websites don't have reviews up yet.

whyman

See, this is the kind of detail the reviews seem happy to leave out. Haven't seen anyone mention the loading times or anything about if you can play online with two players like you can in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or if it requires a big update patch on Switch. All important factors when deciding with version to buy. Most of the reviews online are currently only focussed on the PS4 and XB1 version, nothing about the Switch version and any caveats that may have. It's quite annoying as I want the Switch version so I can play it on the train, but the Nintendo-specific websites don't have reviews up yet.

Another thing to consider is that you cant remap controls. Only 2 preset. For me, having big hands, this makes the game very hard to play in portable mode. I’m sure it’s fine for most tho. Other than that the game is good. Boosting feels different but maybe I’m just remembering wrong. 30 FPS is mostly stable. I have had dips below that. And yea, unless you are playing the same track over and over again be prepared to stare at that loading screen 40 sec between the action.

Hostile_18

Banned
The difficulty seems off to me. Medium on adventure mode, using starting boost and power slides all the time and each track is still taking around 10 goes to come first. The Mario Karts even the old ones were never this difficult. Unless you know the power slides/boosting you've got no chance.

I'd recommend Easy difficulty. Life is too short lol.

nemiroff

Gold Member
For those of you that have both Sonic and Crash, let me know which one you think is the most fun.

I bought Sonic for me and my 4-year old to play splitscreen mp, but he didn't really like the game (me neither really), he prefers Forza Horizon 4..

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
To this day ctr remains my fondest memory with a kart racer ever. Loved that game and can't wait till my copy of the remake arrives later today.

Cattlyst

Another thing to consider is that you cant remap controls. Only 2 preset. For me, having big hands, this makes the game very hard to play in portable mode. I’m sure it’s fine for most tho. Other than that the game is good. Boosting feels different but maybe I’m just remembering wrong. 30 FPS is mostly stable. I have had dips below that. And yea, unless you are playing the same track over and over again be prepared to stare at that loading screen 40 sec between the action.
Thanks for this info - have you tried online yet? If so what are your thoughts?

Cattlyst

Bought the Switch version at lunchtime. Had a very quick play and it's pretty good - no issues performance wise in handheld. Although that boost mechanic...wow. Pretty appalling. It makes literally no sense to have to keep holding one shoulder button down and keep tapping the other, while simultaneously steering the kart. It just feels so wrong. How did they mess up such a fundamental part of a kart racer? Was it the same in the original? I had a Saturn back then so never played it.

Last edited:
Alright this is harder than I remember. And I 100%ed it back in the day. Maybe it's just because MK8 is child's play compared to CTR. It has soften me. Time to get back on shape.

Fake

Gonna try right now. I can really tell if this game is hard or not because I still playing the old CTR.
Is good to know you can use the dpad as well.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Really happy with this, feels great, looks great, it's everything I wanted.

Medium difficulty adventure mode is indisputably harder than the original, if you struggled back then, slap it on easy.

Bought the Switch version at lunchtime. Had a very quick play and it's pretty good - no issues performance wise in handheld. Although that boost mechanic...wow. Pretty appalling. It makes literally no sense to have to keep holding one shoulder button down and keep tapping the other, while simultaneously steering the kart. It just feels so wrong. How did they mess up such a fundamental part of a kart racer? Was it the same in the original? I had a Saturn back then so never played it.
That's the beauty of the system. Once you get the hang on of it, you will understand. CTR can be very difficult at times, and there's no blue shells or crazy items that will get you from 8th to 1st in a couple of meters.

ps4 version just had an update and online races seem to work now. Shit is pretty fun.

Anyone who votes for Papu´s Pyramid over Hot Air Skyway is dead to me.

Last edited:

elPisuika

Neo Member
Unless I'm missing something medium difficulty is well hard lol. I'm repeating the first few tracks multiple times to get 1st place (which you have to get).
Definitely harder! Last week in preparation for today I plugged my PS3 to play CTR and it was just like riding a bike, 1st place in every race in hard difficulty. But today... man, it *is* harder in this new version...

elPisuika

Neo Member

It was the same in the original, and this system is what makes it awesome imo

Top Bottom