• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled |OT| Oxide paved paradise to put up a parking lot

Fake

Played with my brother.
- Pretty smoth on ps4 even for a 30 fps game
- Was fun too. Splitscreen need to gain popularity on games again.
- WTF is that bible in the start of the game Activision?
- You can use both analogic or/and dpad. Great move.
- You can use the original OST from the ps1 version (Press 'option' button and them 'triangle' to acess). YYEESS
- Confirmed. The racer AI is really more hard than the original, at least on the CTR mode. Classic looks identical. Thats I liked too.
- A lot of new racers chars (for me at least. Only played CTR). I suggest for new players get the low profile chars.
- You can change control by 'classic' and some new one.
- SFX looks very lound in comparison with music. Thank god you can adjust all types of sound in options.
- Can enable or disable subtitle and vibration as well.
- Can disable some cutscenes too.
- I get the standart edition on 'Lojas Americanas' in Brazil. Get the exclusive PS4 classic track, three old bit skins, three stickers, avatars and three new skins I don't know the name.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
See, this is the kind of detail the reviews seem happy to leave out. Haven't seen anyone mention the loading times or anything about if you can play online with two players like you can in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or if it requires a big update patch on Switch. All important factors when deciding with version to buy. Most of the reviews online are currently only focussed on the PS4 and XB1 version, nothing about the Switch version and any caveats that may have. It's quite annoying as I want the Switch version so I can play it on the train, but the Nintendo-specific websites don't have reviews up yet.

You can't blame reviewers for this. Back in the day we got all versions of a given game frequently, but after they stopped shipping out physical copies in favor of codes, that has pretty much stopped. Now we tend to only get one code, sometimes the one we ask for, sometimes the one they decided we get.

We don't really get to compare versions anymore, which is a real shame. Blame publishers though, not the reviewers.

Additionaly, many sites didn't get codes till today. Again, blame the publisher.

Hostile_18

Banned
Definitely harder! Last week in preparation for today I plugged my PS3 to play CTR and it was just like riding a bike, 1st place in every race in hard difficulty. But today... man, it *is* harder in this new version...

Yeah I never played the original but objectively speaking the difficulty is "wrong". You shouldn't have to use advanced mechanics AND a load of skill/luck on the first few tracks of medium difficulty. That's why games have a hard mode. Kids are going to be well out of their depth from the get go.

Don't get me wrong there's alot to like but the difficulty is a major flaw.

elPisuika

Neo Member
Yeah I never played the original but objectively speaking the difficulty is "wrong". You shouldn't have to use advanced mechanics AND a load of skill/luck on the first few tracks of medium difficulty. That's why games have a hard mode. Kids are going to be well out of their depth from the get go.

Don't get me wrong there's alot to like but the difficulty is a major flaw.

That's the thing, this is no Mario Kart and I'm glad it isn't.

Cattlyst

Just tried playing online on switch and it's appalling. Reminds me of a 90's PC game - players warping all over the track, no consistency in position. Apparently the developer is aware and hopefully a patch will come soon. So much for a replacement for the monotony of MK8. Disappointed in the online play - really hope they fix it. Unplayable at present.

Fake

It's not Mario Kart but it should be that wants to play it. Why have difficulties at all if they want to make every one really challenging.
They just need to be as classic as the original CTR for PS1. That people are the target, not MK fans. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
They just need to be as classic as the original CTR for PS1. That people are the target, not MK fans. Keep that in mind.

A few modern day concessions wouldn't hurt. At the end of the day there advertising a medium difficulty that isn't really medium by any other games standard. CTR isnt meant to be thw Dark Souls of Kart Racers. By all means keep the hard/classic mode though.

Fake

A few modern day concessions wouldn't hurt. At the end of the day there advertising a medium difficulty that isn't really medium by any other games standard. CTR isnt meant to be thw Dark Souls of Kart Racers. By all means keep the hard/classic mode though.
I don't see anyone claim that. And I never saw this term on any kart racing game on my life.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't see anyone claim that. And I never saw this term on any kart racing game on my life.

You can't see this difficulty curve on any setting is alot higher than nearly all other equivalent settings found on other games? Especially egregious on a game meant to appeal to all ages.

Pinktaco

Tbh I'm not having that much difficulty actually driving.
I find the other modes to be more difficult. Hitting the crystals could be easier and collecting letter could be shown on map, at least on easy :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see a change in difficulty in a future patch.

Fake

You can't see this difficulty curve on any setting is alot higher than nearly all other equivalent settings found on other games? Especially egregious on a game meant to appeal to all ages.
But WTF is has to do with Dark Souls?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I played 3 hours. Roo is impossible with Coco. Switched to Tiny and beat him on the first try. Also this game is fucking hard or I suck at kart games.

Also BEWARE
Ps4 Pro loading is about 10 to 12 seconds
Switch is around 40

Last edited by a moderator:

Hostile_18

Banned
But WTF is has to do with Dark Souls?

Dark souls is known for difficulty and challenge, it's gameplay is built around it. CTR is not, yet this offers a similar difficulty with a misleading Easy and Medium mode.

I do like the game but most reasonable people can see the difficulty curve is far higher than the names suggest and what this type of game should be in terms of challenge.

Fake

Dark souls is known for difficulty and challenge, it's gameplay is built around it. CTR is not, yet this offers a similar difficulty with a misleading Easy and Medium mode.

I do like the game but most reasonable people can see the difficulty curve is far higher than the names suggest and what this type of game should be in terms of challenge.
I still trying to understand what you're talking about... The game still have difficult option, so why bring Dark Souls to the argument is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I still trying to understand what you're talking about... The game still have difficult option, so why bring Dark Souls to the argument is irrelevant.

Yes but that difficulty option is greatly flawed. Easy and Medium do not reflect what it should be, relative to 99% of games that offer such difficulties.

What I'm saying is that CTR is as difficult as dark souls series, games which are built around difficulty and challenge on a fundamental level.

CTR is a family kart racer, that is too hard on its lower difficultys, hence it currently a flawed experience.

Last edited:

Fake

cormack12 cormack12 I created a review thread if you want to put in OP.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't think it's difficult. The core mechanics are easy to get to grips with. It's very close with the logic and one hit can be the difference between win or lose. CTR was always wacky and close though. The boost mechanic is fine but I do find the hop and initial slide a little weird to activate.

Fake

I don't think it's difficult. The core mechanics are easy to get to grips with. It's very close with the logic and one hit can be the difference between win or lose. CTR was always wacky and close though. The boost mechanic is fine but I do find the hop and initial slide a little weird to activate.
Just the same game, but if you play on 'hard' mode indeed bot are quite challenge.
Strange when you put hard dificult the enemy are indeed hard.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Just the same game, but if you play on 'hard' mode indeed bot are quite challenge.
Strange when you put hard dificult the enemy are indeed hard.

I have no need with Hard mode FYI :) just that medium and easy aren't representative of what they often represent in most other games. I think it's unfortunate younger people won't get far with adventure mode and Medium needs "advanced mechanics" AND a bit of luck even in the first few tracks.

I do like the game alot on the whole. It's still a great game, very fun.

Evilms

Banned

PS4 : 1080p/30fps
PS4 Pro : 1440p/30fps
Switch : 720p/30fps docked, and probably 480p on handheld mode like Crash N.Sane Trilogy.

The concessions operated on the Switch version:

- No fur on Crash.
- No Ambient occlusion.
- Some light effects have been removed.
- 3D models animated in the background on PS4/Pro are not present in the backgrounds on Switch.
- Aliasing quite visible.
- Tesselation donwgraded on Switch and no physics for grass.
- The loading times are a too long ~50s.

Last edited:

njr

This plays just like remember it, maybe a little bit harder on medium. Time trials are giving me be most trouble but it’s challenging nonetheless.

Fake

Beat the game minutes ago. The old CTR was impossible to beat the last boss using a low profile char (Pura is my main).
This new CTR I beat in my first try.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm just firing this up now and I know nothing about it, is there any reason you'd want to choose Classic mode over Nitro Fueled mode?

Fake

I'm just firing this up now and I know nothing about it, is there any reason you'd want to choose Classic mode over Nitro Fueled mode?
Nitro have three difficult options: Easy, Medium and Hard.
Nitro you earn prizes like new skins, cars, etc...
Nitro the bot will use custom content as well skins.
Classic is like the PS1 original with no custom skins from both you and bot, regular PS1 AI difficult, no difficult level options and no prizes after beating tracks. Just like the old CTR.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Nitro have three difficult options.
Nitro you earn prizes like new skins, cars, etc...
Nitro the bot will use custom content as well skins
Classic is like the PS1 original with no custom skins from both you and bot, regular PS1 AI difficult, no difficult level options and no prizes after beating tracks. Just like the old CTR.

Thanks, sounds like NF mode is the way to go.

Nymphae

Banned
Am I missing something, or does this game not tell you what the controls are anywhere? I don't see anything in the pause menu, and when I go to the tutorials, they literally just reference the button function without telling you what they map to - "press the powerslide button"

Oh wait I found it on the main menu nvm.

Last edited:

Fake

Am I missing something, or does this game not tell you what the controls are anywhere? I don't see anything in the pause menu, and when I go to the tutorials, they literally just reference the button function without telling you what they map to - "press the powerslide button"
Options and Control. They gonna tell every input. You can even choise between classic and new.
Loading times screen have some tips as well.

mcjmetroid

Got the PS4 version. The game is incredibly fun to play. Again the battle mode is so underrated. Give it a try.

However the online is godawful.

You cannot play with 2 players online
You cannot play a cup online
It's not laggy per say but the racers jump around the track and the minimap doesn't match the game
There is no leaderboard or ranking system to speak of.
It takes forever to actually get into a game
The game crashed twice on me in online mode
I don't believe there is an option to race without items
The items are far too aggressive compared to Mario Kart. Feels like everyone gets a top item all the time. Explosions everywhere.

Very disappointing here
This could be an unbelievable tournament style online game if they tried.

It's fantastic otherwise but woof the online needs a patch badly. Apparently the PS4 version did but if it's like this now I'd hate to see what it was like before.

Also the game loads.. a lot. And the adventure mode has an annoying habit of popping shit in front of your face when you don't want it to.

bucyou

Can you switch difficulty on adventure mode? Chose easy due to the comments, havent came in worse than 1st and just beat the third boss

Game is kicking my arse in medium (adventure mode). I can't get past the first area, constantly well off the pace in that sewer track. Any tips?

Mista

Banned
Haven’t spent much time with the game yet. Too busy with Judgment

What I noticed though is that the AI drivers are way smarter and offers a challenge even on normal

It’s understandable especially that AI developed a lot since the original came out

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Game is kicking my arse in medium (adventure mode). I can't get past the first area, constantly well off the pace in that sewer track. Any tips?

The difficulty basically goes like this:

Easy
Classic
Medium
Hard

If you're struggling with area 1 I'd restart in Classic mode and pick your favourite racer from the get-go. Crash and Cortex are great all-rounders.

Last edited:

Fake

You can either reduce the difficult or pratice some tuto about drift. Its the key for win later races and boss fight. You can pick medium/
lightweight chars as well. Pura and Polar are popular lightweight chars, meanwhile Crash, Coco and Cortex are well around.

Last edited:

wvnative

Full disclosure: I'm on classic mode, and unable to change difficulty.

The game looks great, and basic controls feel smoother than the original game. But when you start racing, it all goes to shit.

The AI straight up breaks the games own rules/cheats. They only slow down when you pop a missile on them, vs you coming to a complete stop. I've seen a lot of weird shit, like using turbo power ups, I can visibly see my kart SLOW DOWN sometimes, and missile lock on is wildly inconsistent, a lot of times it curves around the target, but sometimes it hits. Scripted things like the turtles in Mystery cave are hosed, like jumping off of them slows down your acceleration. Sewer speedway is fucked. I've also seen AI missiles straight up MISS my character, and curve around to come back and hit me like a missile off loony tunes or some shit.

Objectively, it's just as bad as N sane trilogy, but I really wanted to like this one, as Beenox clearly put a lot of effort into this, and I think it's a great foundation, maybe the game can be fixed. But for now, it's going back to redbox.

Nymphae

Banned
The game is fun as hell and looks amazing. I forgot how much I loved the CTR mechanics, the boosting is perfect.

I also forgot how fucking frustrating kart racer item mechanics in general are - just absolute robbery all over the place in adventure mode. The way you get cheesed with items just never feels good, unless you made a bad call and swerved into a TNT crate or something, that's on you. I just rage quit the damn game because the CPU saved a fucking rocket until literally the very last second when I hit the tiniest little jump 25 feet from the finish line, and apparently the poison jar I dropped while in mid-air to absorb that missed the rocket because of the jump I guess. I'm bouncing on the finish line as they pass me and wondering why I'm doing this to myself lol.

Fake

If you're in first place try to hold trap itens like TNT or beakers until the bot use rocket. Shields too. Always get 10 fruits. They increase your top speed and give you power up boost.
In the char menu selection, you can use the R1/R2 for change the char selection by weight.

mcjmetroid

Actually found the adventure mode fairly ok on normal but I am very good at the game and always have been. The online has just disappointed me though.

Needs a leaderboard badly. At least the lag is gone though.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've seen a lot of weird shit, like using turbo power ups, I can visibly see my kart SLOW DOWN sometimes....

This is legit. I had this on the boss of the Papu papu. Pissed me off. Aside from that I'm enjoying it. However I've lost by less than a tenth of a second multiple times now and the forward momentum after being hit by an item has carried the opponent over the line for miles. Which is also annoying.

Top Bottom