• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled |OT| Oxide paved paradise to put up a parking lot

Full disclosure: I'm on classic mode, and unable to change difficulty.

The game looks great, and basic controls feel smoother than the original game. But when you start racing, it all goes to shit.

The AI straight up breaks the games own rules/cheats. They only slow down when you pop a missile on them, vs you coming to a complete stop. I've seen a lot of weird shit, like using turbo power ups, I can visibly see my kart SLOW DOWN sometimes, and missile lock on is wildly inconsistent, a lot of times it curves around the target, but sometimes it hits. Scripted things like the turtles in Mystery cave are hosed, like jumping off of them slows down your acceleration. Sewer speedway is fucked. I've also seen AI missiles straight up MISS my character, and curve around to come back and hit me like a missile off loony tunes or some shit.

Objectively, it's just as bad as N sane trilogy, but I really wanted to like this one, as Beenox clearly put a lot of effort into this, and I think it's a great foundation, maybe the game can be fixed. But for now, it's going back to redbox.
Bah, full disagreement here. The AI is just something new gamers are not used to. CTR was always built around getting the fastest route and keep up with right timed boosts. Try doing it and see AI eat shit.

joe_zazen

Agreed. I don't understand complaints about difficulty. It does have difficulty settings and the game was always hard.

According to reddit, there is some shit that has changed even in classic, just like with the crashbandicoot 1 2 3 remaster.

My problem isnt with classic, but adventure. The ai (on hard at least) just strait up cheats. They never power slide, yet even the slow characters are faster than tiny in a strait line. And yeah, get behind at the first corner, race is over. I like when the ai plays with the same rules as i am in racing games, otherwise it starts becoming frustrating. Actually, that is true for any game really, no one likes to feel like the game they are playing game cheats and doesn't play fair.

I’ll give it a go on medium and see if it is worth continuing to play. I don't know if the ‘drift to boost’ mechanic is something that will click with me long term.

Anyway, in for $50, and it is still a lot fun battling for 6th. So i’ll give ‘er more hours before buying team sonic..or a switch and mario kart, lol. I forgot how awesome kart racers are.

Last edited:

Romulus

X1X is native 4k 60fps forza 7 while calculating sim physics.

1440p 30fps? I know it's not exactly the same game but Forza seems far more taxing and the gulf here is massive.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
This is a fun game. Though have to admit I’m playing on the normal difficulty. Everybody’s just really fast on the hard setting and I can’t keep up.
The track environments are really good. Just wish it was 60 fps like Mario Kart.

Exentryk

According to reddit, there is some shit that has changed even in classic, just like with the crashbandicoot 1 2 3 remaster.

My problem isnt with classic, but adventure. The ai (on hard at least) just strait up cheats. They never power slide, yet even the slow characters are faster than tiny in a strait line. And yeah, get behind at the first corner, race is over. I like when the ai plays with the same rules as i am in racing games, otherwise it starts becoming frustrating. Actually, that is true for any game really, no one likes to feel like the game they are playing game cheats and doesn't play fair.

I’ll give it a go on medium and see if it is worth continuing to play. I don't know if the ‘drift to boost’ mechanic is something that will click with me long term.

Anyway, in for $50, and it is still a lot fun battling for 6th. So i’ll give ‘er more hours before buying team sonic..or a switch and mario kart, lol. I forgot how awesome kart racers are.
Seems like the AI is fixed on hitting a certain time for a race. If they get hit, they will speed up to eventually hit that time range at the end.

Having said that, you can go faster than them. To do so, you usually can take shortcuts, or maintain Sacred Fire speed (one that you get from green turbo pads). If you can start to maintain this speed (even for short spells), you'll start to build a lead over the AI even on hard.

Below is Coco Park on hard mode where you can see a lead being built up due to sacred fire speed in lap 2.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I watched some gameplay and even though i'm not a fan of Crash this looks super fun.Perfect for summer! Besides the obvious Mario Kart influence it also reminds me of Modnation Racers a game that i absolutely loved (especially the PS3 version).

Btw are there any track/kart customization options?

Edit:Just the read the OP. As i understand you can only customize the karts,right?

Last edited:
Having a blast with this too, I'm still getting used to the boost again as its been a number of years since the original CTR. Best I've placed online is 3rd, perfect game for summer though as someone already mentioned.

Also thought I'd throw in a couple of the commercials, I love that Sony are doing these again, when they do stuff like this its always on point!

wvnative

This is legit. I had this on the boss of the Papu papu. Pissed me off. Aside from that I'm enjoying it. However I've lost by less than a tenth of a second multiple times now and the forward momentum after being hit by an item has carried the opponent over the line for miles. Which is also annoying.

Just did a race where the clock power up straight up didn't stun any other racers as well.

xrnzaaas

I'm still considering whether to buy the game now or later (Black Friday / Christmas?) when it's cheaper. Also I nearly broke my PS4 controller while playing the N. Sane Trilogy. ;)

Last edited:

Verdanth

I laughed with the amount of GRPD and private policy shit at the beginning of the game.

Still, the game is pretty dope. Love the power slide mechanic.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm having a hard time to understand the deal with hard mode. The cpu goes between 2 or 3 times faster even when you're under the effect of boosts or invincibility. Also, they come back from missiles and traps as if its nothing. Not to mention that unless they're near you, your traps won't be hitting them. They gonna stay on the map as if no one is hitted by them.

I hope they fix that with a patch.

So, is Adventure mode similar to Diddy Kong Racing Adventure Mode or something different?

Kinda different. There are missions that somehow feels similar, like the CTR challenge, which can be in a way similar to Silver coins. But Relic challenge is on another level. Also, bosses can be tricky.

The CPU is punishing if you lose too many positions. They usually save itens to spam later, different from Diddy where the CPU is basically non existing.

Its also worth noticing this game is no Mario Kart. So doing power slides and jump boosts all the time might not be the best idea depending on the stage. Also, take account the own character description if you having difficulty playing.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Man, Im already strugglling on the second relic stage. There are boxes that seem impossible to reach and my time is way off the limit mark, like 10 seconds more Lol...

Fake

Man, Im already strugglling on the second relic stage. There are boxes that seem impossible to reach and my time is way off the limit mark, like 10 seconds more Lol...
You can either change to a light char for trying pick all boxes or use a heavy char and just pick 'most' of them.

Last edited:

Verdanth

You can either change to a light char for trying pick all boxes of use a heavy char and just pick 'most' of them.

Even so, im using Crash and having an enormous difficulty. Im not that good on the game, but still, 10 more seconds seems way too much.

Fake

Even so, im using Crash and having an enormous difficulty. Im not that good on the game, but still, 10 more seconds seems way too much.
What track? The first relic is not too hard. You can get 3 types of relic, but any on them will let you beat the final boss round 2.

Last edited:

Verdanth

What track? The first relic is not to hard. You can get 3 types of relic, but any on them will let you bet the final boss round 2.

The first one I managed to beat but then tried the sewer speedway and roos tubes and oh well...I even explored the tracks to try to find hidden pathways (if there are any) but nothing.

Fake

The first one I managed to beat but then tried the sewer speedway and roos tubes and oh well...I even explored the tracks to try to find hidden pathways (if there are any) but nothing.
Pick a very light or medium char and try to change every path. The sewer track in the start have two paths, left and right. First lap you go left, get 4 box and the second lap you go right path and pick the remains boxes. This track you don't need to get all boxes because is very hard to get all. In the final lap, just go to the right path and after the boost floor, go to the right as well to maintain the boost for more time.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

So I gotta say, I fuckin love this game. The feel of the karts and timing your boosts is incredible.

What the fuck is with hard mode though? I'm glad to see a challenge, but I've been racing on the same map for a couple hours trying to get past 3rd place and it feels like the AI is cheating out its ass. I'll be zooming along at top speed and 4 guys can still pass me sometimes. When the race starts everyone blazes forward regardless of boost.

Is there a trick I'm missing? It's the first level of the game so I don't understand how it can be so difficult to keep up.

Edit:

So I checked out some hard mode gameplay. Damn was I underestimating the level of drift you need to pull off... like holy shit we need some eurobeat in here.

Last edited:

Exentryk

If you catch all the boxes you get a 10s discount? Is that it?

And I clearly can't play like that dude lol
Yes, you get a -10 sec bonus if you collect all crates. That run there was for the platinum relic (which has lower time). Once you work out the lines you should take on each lap, it'll become easier to get the relic. Each track takes a little getting used to.

Fake

Yes, you get a -10 sec bonus if you collect all crates. That run there was for the platinum relic (which has lower time). Once you work out the lines you should take on each lap, it'll become easier to get the relic. Each track takes a little getting used to.
You don't need to get all those boxes for earn a platinum relic mind you, but help chars with low top speed to get a chance.

Nero_PR

Banned
Game looks great.

Curious, do you all like it more than mario kart? Putting iconic characters aside just in terms of gameplay.

Thinking about getting it for my niece and she's a big mario kart fan :)

That is a great idea. But keep it in mind that the game is not as inclusive as MK8. The game doesn't hold your hand at all in medium to hard difficulties. It is up to you but the game can be a little frustrating to the young ones. My 15 old brother never played it and thought it could play just like me on hard. He got crushed in 8th place in the first race of the adventure mode (Crash Cove). He spent more than an hour trying and got at least to 3rd place. If he didn't like a challenge game I can see that he would have given up in his 5th try. I hope this gives you an idea about the game. The game is above average hard but the gameplay is top notch. But I'm a little biased to say this since I've been playing it for 20 years.

MrBlonde

Yeah I never played the original but objectively speaking the difficulty is "wrong". You shouldn't have to use advanced mechanics AND a load of skill/luck on the first few tracks of medium difficulty. That's why games have a hard mode. Kids are going to be well out of their depth from the get go.

Don't get me wrong there's alot to like but the difficulty is a major flaw.

I agree, I regret buying this game and i was really looking forward to it. I wont give up but I have barely played and dont have any desire to go back yet. Even on Medium Difficulty it is way to hard, you basically have to run a perfect race and constantly be boosting to even have a chance. That is not fun to me and that should be what Hard Mode is for. Also not being able to change the difficulty in Adventure Mode is stupid, I couldnt beat the 3rd race so i decided to give Easy Mode a shot and had to start over but Easy is to easy. I went back to Medium and wanted to break my controller and havent touched the game since......I might try Easy again and see if after the first couple tracks it gets a little more challenging because Medium is just to frustrating, if its this hard on the first couple races i can only imagine how bad it is later.

I hope they patch this or I'm good and that was a waste of $40.....I know this isnt Mario Kart but i am very good at that and shouldnt be having this much trouble on Medium!!

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I agree, I regret buying this game and i was really looking forward to it. I wont give up but I have barely played and dont have any desire to go back yet. Even on Medium Difficulty it is way to hard, you basically have to run a perfect race and constantly be boosting to even have a chance. That is not fun to me and that should be what Hard Mode is for. Also not being able to change the difficulty in Adventure Mode is stupid, I couldnt beat the 3rd race so i decided to give Easy Mode a shot and had to start over but Easy is to easy. I went back to Medium and wanted to break my controller and havent touched the game since......I might try Easy again and see if after the first couple tracks it gets a little more challenging because Medium is just to frustrating, if its this hard on the first couple races i can only imagine how bad it is later.

I hope they patch this or I'm good and that was a waste of $40.....I know this isnt Mario Kart but i am very good at that and shouldnt be having this much trouble on Medium!!

Yep exactly how I feel mate. Luckily local multiplayer will still be fun for me. Should call the difficulty modes Hard, Harder and Hardest lol. I just want to be entertained lol.

Mista

Banned
Major patch coming July 3:
■ Save Data Corruption Issue

PS4 players, we have identified that your save data file has a chance to corrupt if the data for race ghosts in Time Trials becomes too large. This has impacted players who complete many Time Trial races.

We’ve been working to properly fix the issue and it will be addressed in this patch. In the meantime, we recommend that PS4 players avoid playing Time Trials as a preventative measure. This issue should not occur for Nintendo Switch and Xbox One players. Alternatively, PS4 players have the option to backup save data on an external storage device or backup save data to the cloud as an extra precaution.

We are blown away by the community support for Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, and to say thank you for your patience while we work on these adjustments, we will be providing a one-time 2,500 Wumpa Coin gift to all players on all platforms who play Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled while connected to the internet starting this weekend through July 4. Expect this bonus to go live within 24 hours. Players can receive this bonus by completing a race while connected to the internet and then accessing the Pit Stop.† We encourage our players to submit support tickets through Activision Support if any issues or questions arise, because it helps us more quickly address issues impacting the community.

■ Features and Content Additions

1. Introduction of the Grand Prix content:

The Nitro Tour Grand Prix will be going live and you can begin earning Nitro Points and unlocking a variety of bonus customization content by completing challenges found within the Grand Prix menu†.

“Twilight Tour” will be a brand-new track available to Local Arcade and Online modes. The character Tawna will able to be earned through completing Grand Prix challenges and earning Nitro Points. You will also be able to earn additional new items including karts, skins, stickers, decal, and paint jobs!

Note: Tawna and the items described above can only be earned for a limited time by completing Grand Prix challenges while connected to the internet. Once the current Grand Prix season ends, they will no longer be available to earn through Grand Prix challenges until they may appear in the Pit Stop at a later date.

2. Introduction of Online Leaderboards:

Leaderboards will be added to the Grand Prix Menu.

• Nitro Point Online Leaderboard – You can earn Nitro Points by completing challenges accessible in the Grand Prix menu. The more Nitro Points you gather, the higher you’ll climb the leaderboard!
  • Championship Leaderboard – You can earn points based on your performance while playing online multiplayer: You’re given a number of points each time you complete a race in online multiplayer†. You receive more points the higher your placement is when each race is over (first is the most, and eighth place is the least). The Leaderboard is unlocked after you finish your first online race.
Leaderboard rewards will be distributed on the first day following the Grand Prix and will reset at the end of each Grand Prix season.

3. The Pit Stop

A variety of new content will be added to the Pit Stop including karts, characters, character skins, decals, paint jobs, wheels, and kart stickers that can be redeemed with Wumpa Coins†. Don’t forget to check the Pit Stop to see refreshed content!

When visiting the Pit Stop, you’ll notice that items that were added as part of the Nitro Tour Grand Prix have little Nitro cannisters over their icons. You’ll notice the same thing in the customization menu over the same icons. This small Nitro cannister with a percentage tied to it denotes the extra Nitro Point boost you’ll get whenever completing challenges with these customization options equipped. The percentage increase stacks with each customization item you have equipped. So get collecting, and get stacking!

As a special call-out to some of the new additions, the “Nitro Squad” characters Ami, Megumi, Isabella, and Liz can be redeemed using Wumpa Coins in the Pit Stop and flags from nations around the world will be added as kart stickers.

4. Online

Podium animations will be added to online matches when you finish in the top 3 of an online multiplayer race.

5. User Interface Improvements

A “Message of the Day” feature will be added to the Main Menu. Check back daily when your system is connected to the internet for important messages!

6. Wumpa Coin Earn Rate

Adjustments will be made to the Wumpa Coin earn rate, and additional information on the earn rate will be added to the end-of-race report, so you can know how you got to your number.

7. Character Icons

The mini-map icons and racer icons will now represent the character skin that you have equipped.

8. Patches: Issues of Note

The following issues will be addressed in the patch:

8a. Global Save File Corruption Issue on PS4

Will address the global save data issue that has been affecting PS4 players

8b. Pit Stop

Will address an issue where Users were unable to purchase the “Electron Aqua” paint from the pit stop.

8c. Online

Will address various known online stability issues related to the lobby, arcade, adventure, other parts of the game, and menus.

8d. Tracks

Collisions of certain maps have been reworked to remove stuck spots and possible exploit areas, along with an improvement to fidelity.

8e. User Interface

An issue where personal Time Trial and Relic scores are not highlighted in the “Highscores” menu will be addressed.

8f. Community Feedback

All villains from Crash Nitro Kart will now be protected by the Velo mask when racing with that Power Up.

Fake

Looking foward. Yikes about that bug save. Gonna stop beating time trial for now. Wonder how can I send feedback.

Bodom78

Wow, I'm terrible at this game but it's awesome to see some of the runs on YouTube where they just keep boosting.

Looks like I have some practicing to do.

Mista

Banned
D-ZbzKvUIAE30SE

Hostile_18

Banned
Really loving this game on the whole apart from the difficulty of Easy and Medium (which I think is unbalanced).

The post support content is amazing. Just downloaded the patch and saw the video play detailing features of the FREE update. Man this is how you build a community just like Rocket League. When paid DLC does come (if it does) I'd happily reward it.

I do have a question regarding characters. Are some of them a complete write off due to stats or still viable? I love the Polar bear but with top speed I think it is at only 3 bars is he not a very good choice?

Saber

Gold Member
The new stage is very pretty and a joy to play.

Gonna see if I can unlock one of the girls, since N.Sane is such a deal to unlock.

Hostile_18

Banned
Man sorry to keep beating the same drum but man wtf is up with medium difficulty.

Trying to do Sky Temple... took me 3 ******* hours! When you play that long you notice how much the computer cheats. On one race I was in the lead I hit the same person 3 times and they caught back up in seconds each time. Also I was boosting like mad and the computer wasn't and still in the lead most times. One little mistake and I was restarting as I knew it was over... on medium difficulty FFS lol. You have to play close to perfectly, get all 10 apples and then it's down to luck what powerups you get. If you character hasn't got top speed either forgot about it.

The very next level I beat first go as well. It dosnt feel like this game has been play tested properly. I don't know how anyone who isn't a fanboy can genuinly say medium difficulty is "fine" bearing in mind the target demographic and the fact it's 2019. Yes games use to be harder, but that what higher difficulty modes are for now. That's an educated opinion based on 20+ years playing games.

I've seen online people going back to the original and dominating, where they are failing here.

If the Ai wasn't like this it's would be a 9/10 game. Wish I had started on medium but can't recall a game I've ever had to play on easy ever lol.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Here We Go Again

We know your stance (and that's fine) but at least I can back up my points with evidence, whether it be by comparing in game examples or compared to virtually any game released in the last 10 year's that features a medium mode.

I love the game too on the whole but don't be blinkered that it's perfect. (And if it genuinly is to you that's great but honestly don't know why you wouldn't want a game you love to be more accessible to others).

Last edited:

Fake

Almost silver tier. That Pyramid track is great. Missing two trophy girls to complete my collection.

Nero_PR

Banned
Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Really loving this game on the whole apart from the difficulty of Easy and Medium (which I think is unbalanced).

The post support content is amazing. Just downloaded the patch and saw the video play detailing features of the FREE update. Man this is how you build a community just like Rocket League. When paid DLC does come (if it does) I'd happily reward it.

I do have a question regarding characters. Are some of them a complete write off due to stats or still viable? I love the Polar bear but with top speed I think it is at only 3 bars is he not a very good choice?
The handling characters are great if you know the tracks that you can use the Ultimate Sacre Fire (The blue fire turbo = fastest speed in the game) for a full lap after obtaining it. People generally use them to learn the courses, then switch to the advanced characters after learning how to air break since handling becomes irrelevant for any character if you know how to steer in mid-air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom