• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

How far away are we for lithograph cards coming with the covers? Or how about some fucking metallic covers? (I kind of really like cover gimmicks).

Pretty sure one of the Age of Ultron covers was chromium, that's metallic.
Personally, I want a return of the Fatal Attractions hologram cards.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Pretty sure one of the Age of Ultron covers was chromium, that's metallic.
Personally, I want a return of the Fatal Attractions hologram cards.

Dude, I had the raddest holo-Silver Surfer card from some comic I had as a kid. It looked like the surfer was trying to touch you.

tim1138

Dude, I had the raddest holo-Silver Surfer card from some comic I had as a kid. It looked like the surfer was trying to touch you.

I still have this bad boy squirreled away somewhere.

87d4_1.JPG

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I still have this bad boy squirreled away somewhere.

That...is...fucking awesome.

For covers, though, I have to say that The Dark Angel Saga's conclusion with the polybagged comic made me super hyped when I walked in and saw it at my lcs.

Despite loving them, I'm also happy that the cover gimmicks aren't ubiquitous. Sometimes a simple, clean, well drawn/colored cover is perfect. Immediately, that Paolo Rivera Spidey cover comes to mind.

Tizoc

Captain America hasn't impressed me so far *shrugs*

VERY VERY light week for me, Transformers: More than meets the eye has been a blast and already I hate having to wait a whole moth for the next issue T^T.

tim1138

That...is...fucking awesome.

For covers, though, I have to say that The Dark Angel Saga's conclusion with the polybagged comic made me super hyped when I walked in and saw it at my lcs.

Despite loving them, I'm also happy that the cover gimmicks aren't ubiquitous. Sometimes a simple, clean, well drawn/colored cover is perfect. Immediately, that Paolo Rivera Spidey cover comes to mind.

As a digital buyer gimmick covers don't impact me at all, but I can appreciate a good one. I just find it funny that they're coming back.

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could offer me some recommendations for gritty, street-level crime books/characters. Along the same kind of lines as people like The Punisher, Rorschach and the Comedian and to some extent Red Hood. Vigilantes with sometimes brutal methods and minimal high powered or supernatural elements.

snorggy

Speaking of 90s covers... Anyone have the badass Batman #500 foil, diecut cover that flipped open to reveal the "new batman"?

Acid08

Banned
I have a digital code for X-Men #1 up for grabs.

To get it you have to find an awesome panel/page from Chew and post it. It better be awesome.

Owzers

Dark Horse app Mignola sale....1946, 1947, 1948.

Hard to resist even with the bad app. $9 for a trade vs $5 for the digitals.

edit: just to see what everyone is complaining about i went to read my Ragemoor issues on the app and it keeps crashing :p

It's pretty awesome they're taking JLB seriously, expanding the cast and all that.

I agree. It always felt weird how "small" the JLB felt at times. I could never tell if it was supposed to be just a representation of a "bleaker" future or not or simple lack of effort put into rounding out the league of the future.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree. It always felt weird how "small" the JLB felt at times. I could never tell if it was supposed to be just a representation of a "bleaker" future or not or simple lack of effort put into rounding out the league of the future.

Probably the latter. Odds are they weren't sure if they should put in the effort, cancellation being a popular option among DC's editorial staff.

Probably the latter. Odds are they weren't sure if they should put in the effort, cancellation being a popular option among DC's editorial staff.

Well that aside I was referring more to the cartoon; The JLB was only shown a few times with its smaller cast.

I think we can agree that with so many digital comic subscribers in this thread, everyone of them should checking out both Batman and Justice League Beyond.

The only excuse for not doing so is if you get the print version.

SuluDance

Banned
I just read the entirety of Locke and Key in one day.

Maybe my favorite comic book ever-what an amazing story-Joe Hill is such an amazing writer-a chip off the old block. I noticed several King references throughout the books too...

Owzers

Really? Because shit, I used the Dark Horse app once and that was all it took for me to never do that again. It was soooo bad. Never again.

I might be siding with you. Yesterday when i went to read the app for the first time in months it crashed every 10 or so seconds three times straight. Today i managed to read an issue though, but i shouldn't have to manage getting things to work XO

Also, Marvel Unlimited only updated with 15 comics this week and none of them mighty thor #21 O_______O

AEREC

So after reading n52 JL and JLA, they keep refering to when MMH was on the JL. I remember a brief snippet of him fighting the rest of the JL in a previous issue...but it was very brief and presented as a memory.

Is there another issue out there somewhere that has a more detailed account of his time with the JL?

The whole run of JL so far has felt very brief and forced honestly.

So after reading n52 JL and JLA, they keep refering to when MMH was on the JL. I remember a brief snippet of him fighting the rest of the JL in a previous issue...but it was very brief and presented as a memory.

Is there another issue out there somewhere that has a more detailed account of his time with the JL?

The whole run of JL so far has felt very brief and forced honestly.

No. All we know is there was a 5 year gap between the first JL arc and the rest of the series (although the way it's written doesn't seem that way). So we just have to assume Martian Manhunter spent time with the league between that time period. I haven't read Stormwatch which MMH was heavily involved in in the beginning so maybe that comic explains more?

AEREC

I just read the entirety of Locke and Key in one day.

Maybe my favorite comic book ever-what an amazing story-Joe Hill is such an amazing writer-a chip off the old block. I noticed several King references throughout the books too...

I bought the first three volumes when they went on sale last weekend. Im enjoying it but honestly feel it's a bit overhyped in this thread. Half way through Vol. 3 it got a bit stupid (I think it was Vol 3. #4 I really didnt like):

Just felt odd to have the kids talking shit back to these shadows and not be afraid at all (although we know why the sister is not afraid) and then out of nowhere Ty is huge as fuck and fighting a huge shadow dog.
Not sure if I missed something and Im sure they will explain it later but it is kind of annoying hwo int he next two issues they dont acknowledge how he
got so big

Gonna wait before I get the rest of the volumes...feel kinda burnt out on it.

AEREC

No. All we know is there was a 5 year gap between the first JL arc and the rest of the series (although the way it's written doesn't seem that way). So we just have to assume Martian Manhunter spent time with the league between that time period. I haven't read Stormwatch which MMH was heavily involved in in the beginning so maybe that comic explains more?

Thats what I was thinking, but I really dont want to read Stormwatch.

weepy

I know this isn't talking about the current topics at hand but there's one thing that always bothered me about Wolverine that never seems to be brought up. How can he bend his wrists without his claws completely destroying his upper arm? They're not collapsible due to the adamatium and the only way his retractable claws could even work is if they were 3 to 4 inches and they're clearly twice that length. What's the deal?

I know this isn't talking about the current topics at hand but there's one thing that always bothered me about Wolverine that never seems to be brought up. How can he bend his wrists without his claws completely destroying his upper arm? They're not collapsible due to the adamatium and the only way his retractable claws could even work is if they were 3 to 4 inches and they're clearly twice that length. What's the deal?

Science. If not science, magic.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Maybe they retract back into his arm, and there's a hinged part that corresponds to his wrist somewhere in there. Although that doesn't really make sense either. Doesn't he have bone claws or something anyway? Would have been a problem way before the adamantium went in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom