• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2013. Nothing says "love you Mom" like a thick Man-Thing... Omnibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
I'm up to Final Crisis 5 and it is really losing me since most major and even B level guys are taken out of the story pretty early and I'm not familiar with pretty much all of the characters that aren't Flashes or Green Arrow.

Wool

I know this isn't talking about the current topics at hand but there's one thing that always bothered me about Wolverine that never seems to be brought up. How can he bend his wrists without his claws completely destroying his upper arm? They're not collapsible due to the adamatium and the only way his retractable claws could even work is if they were 3 to 4 inches and they're clearly twice that length. What's the deal?

I think Wolverine: Origins and X-Men 2 both have X-ray shots of his skeleton.

717394-wolverineshand_super.jpg

tumblr_luh673zW2C1qfb8rfo1_500.gif

I'm up to Final Crisis 5 and it is really losing me since most major and even B level guys are taken out of the story pretty early and I'm not familiar with pretty much all of the characters that aren't Flashes or Green Arrow.

Ditch it and just read Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds. It's the only thing out of Final Crisis you need. :D

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think Wolverine: Origins and X-Men 2 both have X-ray shots of his skeleton.

Both those back up what weepy's saying though, if the blades are solid adamantium then if he extended them and moved his wrist at all they'd slice through the whole of his hand, he'd have to keep his hand and arm perfectly rigid.

Man I'm really trying to get into Spider-man comics but it's so confusing -_-

I started reading Ultimate Comics with Miles Morales as Spider-man. That one isn't bad so far.

Should I just start at Superior Spider-man?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man I'm really trying to get into Spider-man comics but it's so confusing -_-

I started reading Ultimate Comics with Miles Morales as Spider-man. That one isn't bad so far.

Should I just start at Superior Spider-man?

Superior is part two of whatever Dan Slott is doing. It starts at Big Time.

Owzers

I'm reading Green Lantern #20 and while parts are great, it's just too muddled in the terrible arcs that preceded it and there is very little involving Valthoom that can be redeemed. I had my hopes up from the positive talk about this issue here, but i say neigh.

edit: I chose to read this digitally with the combo code. That 4 page splash page looked a lot better in print than digital :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How is it that Wolverine never cries when he takes out his claws?

He got used to it. I think he mentioned in either the original X-Men or X2 that it hurt like hell every time.

ZoddGutts

WN5toOw.jpg

So about two years now since the DCNU launch and here's the remaining books that started when DNCU launch. Surprise Stormwatch and Batwing hasn't been cancelled, both have horrible sales being at around 13k each, should be a matter of time now. As usual, your Batman (sans Batwing), Green Lantern and Superman related books do well.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25659.html

DC's Marketshare has fallen below 30%, Marvel at 37% now. Image Comics gaining close to 10%.

Bleeding Cool marked last month’s marketshare slip for DC below 30% for both dollars raised and copies sold as “The New 27″. Now it’s slipped another point, dollar share down to 25.98% and share of individual comics sold, down to 27.73%.

The market fell compared to March (though still way up on last year), which means that DC’s sales have probably fallen more.

But they are not alone in the marketshare drop, with Marvel slipping two percentage points for both comics sold and revenue raised on last month. So where has this marketshare gone?

Image. Dangerously close to getting a ten percent share, much of this may be down to Jupiter’s Legacy securing a top three slot and Walking Dead #109 walking into the eighth slot. A returnable book, it has had 10% of its sales docked by Diamond when releasing figures, to compensate for a number of copies being returned. But that is a completely arbitrary figure, the actual figure may never be known. Image’s standing is also helped by getting the top four places in the Graphic Novel/Trade Paperback chart – and only one of them being The Walking Dead.

IDW have also stepped up getting over 7.5% of dollars spent on comics in the direct market.

Oh and, yes, while DC does top the chart with Batman, Brian Bendis has more titles in the top ten than DC – four to their three. Look for the Scott Snyder fight back to begin with Superman Unchained…

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05...as-jupiters-legacy-takes-third-spot-in-sales/

comic book sales the most depressing goddamn thing

eh, the business model is a bit outmoded. I figure we'll see something totally different in the next ten years or so.

Ironically this comes as the properties themselves are wildly popular among the mainstream, even more than they were in the 90s when comic sales were at all time highs.

Savitar

DC deserves this, they squandered the reboot in amazing fashion while Marvel has been changing their history etc keeping things newer without all the cosmic stuff. It's much more subtle. You know....when they avoid the deal with the devil stuff that is. Doesn't help that DC has a guy like Didio in charge who basically has no vision at all and has chosen a bunch of guys that haven't been relevant in a decade or two to help run the show now.

Probably why every other week you heard about a creator leaving and shocking no one ended up at Marvel where they do very well and likely don't have to put up with all the crap going on at DC behind the scenes.

WN5toOw.jpg

So about two years now since the DCNU launch and here's the remaining books that started when DNCU launch. Surprise Stormwatch and Batwing hasn't been cancelled, both have horrible sales being at around 13k each, should be a matter of time now. As usual, your Batman (sans Batwing), Green Lantern and Superman related books do well.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25659.html

DC's Marketshare has fallen below 30%, Marvel at 37% now. Image Comics gaining close to 10%.

Clearly the solution is that DC needs to add more Batfamily to the lineup.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
SAGA #12 - 53,339

EAST OF WEST #2 - 41,838

MANHATTAN PROJECTS #11 - 17,517

Does this mean that everyone just waits for the trade with Manhattan Projects, or that it's unpopular?

I'll admit to trade waiting Manhattan Projects.

Absolutely amazed All Star Western hasn't been cancelled.

It has, canceling series in DC is a very long process. The head says cancel it and it takes 4 months before word gets down to the writer/artist/ink that the series is cancelled. DC works on a 5 month information delay.

So any series that was cancelled and you liked? It was actually decided 5 months prior D:

Nudull

Banned
Seeing Frankenstein and Demon Knights among the casualties still hurts. I should probably start checking out All-Star Western before that gets screwed over, too.

It has, canceling series in DC is a very long process. The head says cancel it and it takes 4 months before word gets down to the writer/artist/ink that the series is cancelled. DC works on a 5 month information delay,

...welp. :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It has, canceling series in DC is a very long process. The head says cancel it and it takes 4 months before word gets down to the writer/artist/ink that the series is cancelled. DC works on a 5 month information delay.

So any series that was cancelled and you liked? It was actually decided 5 months prior D:

Jesus Christ, 4 months?

Owzers

Dial H #12 was okay but i'm ready to let the book go. It had a nice first arc but i didn't stay interested after that.

Blader

I'm getting pretty annoyed with Indestructible Hulk. I want to love it, as I haven't read a Hulk book in forever (possibly ever) and the premise is great, but 8 issues in and it's going nowhere. And the art in the last few issues has been horrendous. I know Walt Simonson is legendary for his Thor run, but his artwork on this book was flat out goddamn ugly.

Nudull

Banned
I'm getting pretty annoyed with Indestructible Hulk. I want to love it, as I haven't read a Hulk book in forever (possibly ever) and the premise is great, but 8 issues in and it's going nowhere. And the art in the last few issues has been horrendous. I know Walt Simonson is legendary for his Thor run, but his artwork on this book was flat out goddamn ugly.

My thoughts exactly, although I don't mind Walt's art as much. I might pick it back up eventually, depending on how Blind Rage and the arc after that turns out.

ReiGun

Lmao that is insanity.

ZoddGutts

To put things in perspective DC had a 50% Marketshare when the DCNu launch, obviously we knew it would go down but did you guys expect it to go down by half? That's pretty bad. The year before DCNu launch DC martket share was doing around 26%-30%. Now DCNu is doing slightly worse than that. Ouch. Back to square one for DC.

To put things in perspective DC had a 50% Marketshare when the DCNu launch, obviously we knew it would go down but did you guys expect it to go down by half? That's pretty bad. The year before DCNu launch DC martket share was doing around 26%-30%. Now DCNu is doing slightly worse than that. Ouch. Back to square one for DC.

Time for a reboot I'd say

Acid08

Banned
Agreed. It's honestly just kind of boring. Nothing worthwhile is happening, no overarching plot to keep things moving. Big disappointment. It gets one more arc because I think DD and Hulk had potential.

Disagree about Simonson though, at least for issues 6 and 8. 7 was a total mess though.

Bull

Finally read GL #20 and Action Comics #18 both disappointed. Action moreso than GL. Morrison has always been poor at endings.

It lost me for a while but overall I thought it was a decent story of the first 5 years of Superman's career. It certainly got weird at times but it makes sense after seeing who was behind everything.

I like that they kept some interesting parts from the old continuity too.

Glix

Hey guys. I rarely buy comics these days, and never ever have posted on GAF about them...

but I picked up East of West 1 and 2 this week...

WOW. So good. Really really really impressed.

It lost me for a while but overall I thought it was a decent story of the first 5 years of Superman's career. It certainly got weird at times but it makes sense after seeing who was behind everything.

I like that they kept some interesting parts from the old continuity too.

For Superman it seems dumb that there was no way for him or his 5th.dimension friends to undo the time mucking that Vyndctv did. Like Superman is just OK with Vyn killing his parents and turning people against him? Also I could have sworn earlier in the run Superman had no idea who Mr. Myzyplyk was but in the last issue he's all like "hey remember that time I stoped Myzyplyk too bad I can't use that trick on this guy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom