• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After focusing on Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma for 20 years, Capcom's Hideaki Itsuno says 'it would be fun to create something new'

Draugoth

Gold Member
HMjG6HWED6jkxJCpGmDEUB-970-80.jpg.webp

If Dragon's Dogma 2's director gets to follow his "gut feeling," maybe his next game will be an original creation.

"Back in my day, because of the much more limited resources teams had, out of the blue you were appointed director of a game even if you didn't have the experience to go with it,"

Itsuno told in a interview with PC Gamer. It's more difficult to be a director of a game now without that experience, Itsuno said, because the scale of games has increased, and with it the time and resources it takes to complete them.

While that's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why Itsuno has spent two-thirds of his career shepherding these two series, it struck me that Dragon's Dogma 2 does not represent that same exciting prospect of making something wholly new the first game did. How many ideas for games has he been sitting on for decades, at this point? Does Itsuno crave that creative freedom again?

"Obviously we're not going to make an announcement right here, right now—it's a decision that would be made in consideration of all surrounding circumstances," Itsuno said. "But if I was to ignore all of that and go by my gut feeling, it would be fun to create something new."

Dragon's Dogma 2 has been gestating for long enough that making it is quite a different experience than developing back-to-back sequels,

"If you make a sequel immediately after you make a game, the priority goes to what was left behind, what you couldn't do. Ten years gives you enough time to look back and figure out 'what did I really want to do? What was I really trying to achieve? Both for Dragon's Dogma 1 and 2, one thing I really wanted to create is these worlds existing on their own, and then you as a character penetrating those worlds and impacting them.

"With Dragon's Dogma 1, the best we could do with the technology of the time was making it look like a world of its own. But this time, by focusing more on the AI and taking advantage of current technologies, I believe we were able to create a world of its own with people who live in it, monsters that live in it, and then have your character impact all these elements. I really wanted to think of this as a simulator, and I think we've gotten there."

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Nooooooooooo......DMC6 :(

If we're really not getting a new one from him, at least we ended with DMC5.

Astral Dog

I want to play DMC6 someday, preferably if its directed by Itsuno , but i would accept if he is a supervisor role as long as they make it

Last edited:
Seth Meyers Pain GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

capcom-director-wants-to-make-a-new-rival-schools_awe6.1280.jpg

But for real though, new or familiar, I trust him. As far as I'm aware, he has never been involved in a bad game (Not counting DMC 2, because that's more Capcom's fuck up, then him or Kamiya's fuck up)

Whatever new him and the gang is going to do, I'm sure it will be diamonds.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Not a fan of most of his work but Auto Modellista 2 would be great

Good luck, Capcom doesn't allow their creators to do what they want.
Which seems generally a mind numbingly stupid idea.

Sure, sequels and safe IPs are probably less risky, and a new promoted guy probably is happy not to also need to find THE new IP with fresh characters and lore, but caging seasoned creatives to do projects like a 9 to 5 jobs must kill their remaining creativity sooner than later. I believe even the established good guys have only a limited amount of genuinely unique ideas but will not tap their potential if they are stuck with one or two IPs, which naturally prevents coming up with something entirely else that does not fit into those existing IPs at all, but would work great as its own new thing.

Top Bottom