• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian BeFirstToPlay Winners : 360 is In

Osorio

LakeEarth said:
The titanic ones are 15 minutes, the other 3 are about 8 minutes. So its about 40 minutes worth of video. I think they're all HD.

I said it before, but the D-Pad sucks balls. It doesn't work well at all. Did I get a defective one or is this just how it is?
Crap, I was looking forward to DoA and playing with the analog stick will suck.

filthy

I'm guessing the 7gig could be a disk image for the emulators to use. Instead of using the X360 formatted partition, it has its own partition for the xbox games that use the HD. They could make it invisible from the dashboard so you don't inadvertantly delete it. Dunno why they wouldn't make it 10gig, like the original drive.

Either that, or it's a hidden restore partition. Someone needs to void their warranty and check out the drive using partition magic.

Osorio

VisionaryQuest0 said:
Maybe you did get a defective one. I haven't heard one problem with the 360's controller other than yours.

...at least I hope it's just yours. :)
To be honest nobody else gave a review on the D-Pad, at least from what I've read.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BlueTsunami said:
Ok, if that 7GB worth of space is Halo3...then...yeah...

~EXPLODES~
It'd be worth the millions of dollars in lost revenue sales on the stand-alone game to surprise the early adopters who were going to buy the system anyway.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
human5892 said:
It'd be worth the millions of dollars in lost revenue sales on the stand-alone game to surprise the early adopters who were going to buy the system anyway.

Thats true but 7GB? Thats a whole lot of space and thats the general size of a game itself. Maybe Demos for upcoming games?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BlueTsunami said:
Thats true but 7GB? Thats a whole lot of space and thats the general size of a game itself. Maybe Demos for upcoming games?
Demos I could see, but why would they be locked up instead of available right from the get-go?

My money's on something related to the emulation of Xbox 1 titles, plus maybe some system restore information as filthy suggested.

bumpkin

LakeEarth said:
It just came in the mail for me. WITH Kameo! So that rumor was true.

Unfortunetly I got work to go to in 15 minutes so I won't be able to give impressions, other than the power supply is really that big. Jesus Christ :lol
Cartman.jpg

I hate you so very very much.

LakeEarth

I put more time into Kameo, and yes once you get out of the first stage, the graphics get quite good. Grass everywhere, good bumpmapping, lots and lots of detail... horrible, horrible lip synching to the voice acting, wait till the lizard lady, looks terrible. But that's a minor complaint. Good battling, especially compared to Star Fox Adventures. It feels like a Rare platformer though, so if you don't like that style then you might not like it. Its fine though, the monster mechanic is quite interesting.

EDIT -ooh I didn't check the warrenty, lets look... and I can't find it.... :S

LakeEarth

m0dus said:
Um. I've got the 360 windows pad and the D-Pad is fine and dandy. I use it for all my EMU's, and have had no problems. Looks like somebody got hosed :p SERVES YOU RIGHT.
Dammit. Hopefully its just in menus and not in actual gameplay, but I was having problems playing Hectic.

Found the warranty booklet...90 days :S, spike beat me to it below

Spike

hgplayer1 said:
youre such a good brother. I woulda gone all Golem on my brothers ass, "dont touch my preciousssssss"

I wish I was young again so I could do silly things like that though :lol

I'm not young, I'm just young at heart. :D

I won't give any impressions because I just can't do it justice on my puny 20" TV. All I can say is Halo 1 loads really quickly. :lol

Kameo is beautiful. Just fucking drop dead gorgeous even on my shitty 20". Oh, and don't judge the game based on the demo level. The next level after that is sooo much better.

Do Not go to EB with your tradeins. They always offer you so little when the game first launches. You have to wait for them to update their "Most Wanted" posters to get a half decent tradein price. But now that they no longer have any competition, I'm doubting this is going to happen.

Oh, and just for the record, they also offer $22 tradein credit for SW:Battlefront 2 for Xbox. I don't think that Kameo should be fetching that little. Also, Madden and NFS:MW for X360 will only get you $26 at EB.

Spike

Jagernaut said:
A question for those who got the system early. how long is the Xbox 360 system's warranty? 90 days? 1 year?

90 days.

They also have that extended warranty paper in there. This time you have to call 1-800-MY-XBOX, though. I wonder how much it's going to be, seeing that they don't even list the price on the brochure. :lol

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
m0dus said:
People bitching about 7 gig for the emulator software, you DO realize that it may just be PARTITIONED for the emulator patches (to prevent the space from being used), so when new ones are released, they don't eat up more of the available space on the drive? Just a thought.

Why the hell are you such an X box drone? 7 gigs not usable of 20 when it is advertised as 20 is BULLSHIT.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Well back from work and I just finished playing a bit of Kameo. Allz I gotsta say is HOLY SHIT!!! It looks amazing on my HDTV, extremely vibrant colours, no jaggies, smooth framerate, and the soundtrack is fantastic!! The levels seem to get more and more beautiful as you go along. The first level isn't so good, but once you move on, damn did my jaw drop! If you don't like platformers though, you probably won't want it, but it's gorgeous and messing around with all the characters on the fly is pretty fun. I can't stress enough how good the soundtrack is, I'm loving it. The worlds look so good, things are so shiney! :lol

The controller, I found to be extremely comfortable. Probably the best controller I've ever used, it just melds so well with my hands that I tend to forget I'm holding it sometimes, it's just so well made. The D-Pad, I found isn't quite as good as the S controller, but it's not bad. Don't seem to be having the problems Lake is having. It responds to everything I've been doing just fine. The rumble is slightly less prominent compared to the Controller S, that may be due to it being wireless, or maybe it's a different mechanism than the S controller, but it still works well, just a little bit weaker. Button layout is perfectly placed, triggers and L/R are very easy to reach, and the analog sticks are great.

As for BC, I can't test any of my Xbox games, cause unfortunately I was robbed a little while ago and lost every fucking system and game I had..... The 360 makes me feel a little better, but still...fucking sucks.....

Remote is pretty neat, feels nice and sturdy, not cheaply made or anything. Gets the job done quite nicely. It doesn't feel overly light, or heavy by any means, just right.

Setup was a breeze, dropped the brick supply and damn near broke my foot.........

well not really, but it hurt a bit. Controller was easy to input, just hold a couple buttons down on the controller and system and presto you're done.

Anyway, that's all for now, I needs to get me a little more X360 action going, so I'll post again.... later..... a lot later.... maybe days..... never??.... More KAMEO!!!!!!!!!!

filthy said:
I'm guessing the 7gig could be a disk image for the emulators to use. Instead of using the X360 formatted partition, it has its own partition for the xbox games that use the HD. They could make it invisible from the dashboard so you don't inadvertantly delete it. Dunno why they wouldn't make it 10gig, like the original drive.

Either that, or it's a hidden restore partition. Someone needs to void their warranty and check out the drive using partition magic.
because the original was 8... they used 10GB platters, but they were partitioned to use 8GB

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
A 20GB drive, after being formatted, would leave about 18.5GB free. Subtract maybe a couple hundred more for Hexic, system files, executables (for Arcade titles, etc), emulation profiles, etc. After that, I can see 40 minutes of HD taking up around 5GB or so, depending on how it's compressed. The stuff is high-bandwidth, you know. There might be some other stuff floating on there that we don't know about, but I really don't think anything is "hidden".

Of course, if there is only 13GB or so available even after a reformat, then that's fucked up. I can deal with a couple gigs missing, obviously. It's nothing new. Go and buy a 20 gig iPod, and you're only going to get around 18 or so. That's just how it is.

SuperPac

Did the original un-modded Xbox let you use all of the space on the drive any way you wanted?

I just don't see it as that big a problem.

stewy

What a rollercoaster day. I see all you folks getting your free 360s and expected mine to show up. And it didn't.

Hope it shows tomorrow...

EGM92

Oh this is gold!, my friend also won a console from the contest. He comes over and he's like "YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT I'VE GOT!" so we go into my basement and he opens his bag he's carrying and pulls out the X360, and he's just glorifying it like it's god's gift to man! We connected to my 67" HDTV and start playing Kameo. Then he's like "man it sucks you're going to wait WEEEEEEEKS after launch to get yours and I got mine FREE, FREE FREE!! :lol " I slowly pulled out my console box from the side of my sofa and just put it there on my lap. I just kept it there till he noticed it and when he did, it was classic, I'm quoting him here ".... YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE! YOUR A JACKASS! WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM!?" and then he grabbed the console packed it up and stormed out of my house lol. Oh boy did I piss on his parade :D

hgplayer1

AZYUMA86 said:
I wonder how much space a patch that would make Halo 1 XBL compatible would take up?

Let me dream!

I dont have a problem with you dreaming........as long as you stay asleep while you do it

hgplayer1

Tenacious-V said:
Well back from work and I just finished playing a bit of Kameo. Allz I gotsta say is HOLY SHIT!!! It looks amazing on my HDTV, extremely vibrant colours, no jaggies, smooth framerate, and the soundtrack is fantastic!! The levels seem to get more and more beautiful as you go along. The first level isn't so good, but once you move on, damn did my jaw drop! If you don't like platformers though, you probably won't want it, but it's gorgeous and messing around with all the characters on the fly is pretty fun. I can't stress enough how good the soundtrack is, I'm loving it. The worlds look so good, things are so shiney! :lol

The controller, I found to be extremely comfortable. Probably the best controller I've ever used, it just melds so well with my hands that I tend to forget I'm holding it sometimes, it's just so well made. The D-Pad, I found isn't quite as good as the S controller, but it's not bad. Don't seem to be having the problems Lake is having. It responds to everything I've been doing just fine. The rumble is slightly less prominent compared to the Controller S, that may be due to it being wireless, or maybe it's a different mechanism than the S controller, but it still works well, just a little bit weaker. Button layout is perfectly placed, triggers and L/R are very easy to reach, and the analog sticks are great.

As for BC, I can't test any of my Xbox games, cause unfortunately I was robbed a little while ago and lost every fucking system and game I had..... The 360 makes me feel a little better, but still...fucking sucks.....

Remote is pretty neat, feels nice and sturdy, not cheaply made or anything. Gets the job done quite nicely. It doesn't feel overly light, or heavy by any means, just right.

Setup was a breeze, dropped the brick supply and damn near broke my foot.........

well not really, but it hurt a bit. Controller was easy to input, just hold a couple buttons down on the controller and system and presto you're done.

Anyway, that's all for now, I needs to get me a little more X360 action going, so I'll post again.... later..... a lot later.... maybe days..... never??.... More KAMEO!!!!!!!!!!

isnt there a way to increase and decrease the rumble strength?

Im thinking more and more that Ill get Kameo.

the remote doesnt feel cheap like the Xbox DVD remote did?

Miburou

Congrats to everyone who won, and I didn't know LakeEarth actually won. I submitted 400 PINs but didn't win.

[sour grapes]I went to the Xbox 360 event in Montreal last weekend and was underwhelmed[/sour grapes]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
EGM92 said:
Oh this is gold!, my friend also won a console from the contest. He comes over and he's like "YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT I'VE GOT!" so we go into my basement and he opens his bag he's carrying and pulls out the X360, and he's just glorifying it like it's god's gift to man! We connected to my 67" HDTV and start playing Kameo. Then he's like "man it sucks you're going to wait WEEEEEEEKS after launch to get yours and I got mine FREE, FREE FREE!! :lol " I slowly pulled out my console box from the side of my sofa and just put it there on my lap. I just kept it there till he noticed it and when he did, it was classic, I'm quoting him here ".... YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE! YOUR A JACKASS! WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM!?" and then he grabbed the console packed it up and stormed out of my house lol. Oh boy did I piss on his parade :D

:lol

Prine

Banned
MORE KAMEO GOODNESS PLEASE

:D

I bought the soundtrack, its fucking amazing. Some of the best music i've experienced in gaming

Spike

hgplayer1 said:
isnt there a way to increase and decrease the rumble strength?

No.

the remote doesnt feel cheap like the Xbox DVD remote did?

It's about the same. Remember, this is a feature-cut version of the remote. It only controls DVD functions. If you look at the regular remote, cut out everything below the Windows Media Center button, as well as the Channel +/- and Volume +/-, TV, and Mute buttons.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Spike said:
No.

It's about the same. Remember, this is a feature-cut version of the remote. It only controls DVD functions. If you look at the regular remote, cut out everything below the Windows Media Center button.

i thought there was 3 rumble modes

weak, strong and off

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Spike said:
That kind of sucks. I remembering reading in an interview with some MS rep that there were going to be 3-4 levels of force feedback. Oh well. I think I'm going to do without it from now on anyways. I never even notice it anymore, so it's just a waste of battery power.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
vatstep said:
That kind of sucks. I remembering reading in an interview with some MS rep that there were going to be 3-4 levels of force feedback. Oh well. I think I'm going to do without it from now on anyways. I never even notice it anymore, so it's just a waste of battery power.

Maybe it could be up to each game (setting for each game)? It would be better to have a Universal setting though (through the Dashboard).

LakeEarth

Miburou said:
Congrats to everyone who won, and I didn't know LakeEarth actually won. I submitted 400 PINs but didn't win.

[sour grapes]I went to the Xbox 360 event in Montreal last weekend and was underwhelmed[/sour grapes]
Around page 7-8 of the Canadian thread. I was happy.

And your controller is rumbling?!?! Mine isn't! Goddamn it! (turns on system again)

EDIT - checking, it does rumble but barely :S

FightyF

Banned
Damn yous! Because I think I can get access to the games in a few days. So I can get the games, but not the console. You guys get the console, but not the games.

Any 360 winner from Calgary here?

Spike

DopeyFish said:
i thought there was 3 rumble modes

weak, strong and off

Maybe you are right, but I haven't found any setting that changes it, yet. Also, I actually did skim through the user manual and didn't come across it.

Spike

neptunes said:
Any places in the GTA selling any other games and acessories?

VGP should have gotten games and accessories today. I'm heading over there tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know if they got them in.

Norse

So, any f you winners try and find the d/l's at xbox.com for the bc? maybe its there for d/ling already...just a thought.

Also, why didnt any of these game sites menton anything about the 20 gig drive only having 13 gigs free? I hope it's a xmas suprise that unlocks then..anyone try changing the date on the x360 to see what happens?

LakeEarth

Norse said:
So, any f you winners try and find the d/l's at xbox.com for the bc? maybe its there for d/ling already...just a thought.
It was already mentioned, but we can't sign into Xbox Live yet. It will connect to Live, it just won't sign you in.

Norse

LakeEarth said:
It was already mentioned, but we can't sign into Xbox Live yet. It will connect to Live, it just won't sign you in.

not live..the xbox.com site said you could d/l a cd image from there and pop it in your xbox360 and it would auto install.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I can sign into live...

Just do not own one XBL game. hehehe

(oh wait, I can link my 360 to xbl, after registering it on xbox.com, just can not see leaderboard)

Top Bottom