• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian BeFirstToPlay Winners : 360 is In

teiresias

so how much of the HDD end up being free and usable out of the box? You can format it to 13GB, but I thought it still reserved 2GB for caching purposes? Maybe not, if it does so then you have:

20 - 7 for BC - 2 for extra (likely deletable) content - 2 for caching = 9GB.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TheDuce22 said:
The people bitching about the harddrive should buy the core pack. Problem solved. :D

No. Microsoft should clarify that 7GB of the 20GB hard drive are consumed out of the box. 33% is a lot of hard drive usage for them to overlook it.

IJoel

TheDuce22 said:
The people bitching about the harddrive should buy the core pack. Problem solved. :D

Oh come on. I'm wary of people bitching for trivial stuff, but 7GB!? Gee that's more than a third of the hard disk already eaten up.

Considering things like MMO games, demos, downloads, etc. are supposed to be much more common with this upcoming generation, having 13GB for all that doesn't seem enough, without micromanaging the content. Heck, FFXI alone will probably take 5GB of space.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TheDuce22 said:
I dont see why they should have to, your buying a console not a harddrive.

Your buying a HDD to. One of the "benefits" of getting the Premium pack is getting a HDD with your 360.

hgplayer1

isnt there supposedly a Titanic HD making-of movie on the HDD? if you can delete that I bet that would give you back a huge chunk of space.

teiresias

hgplayer1 said:
isnt there supposedly a Titanic HD making-of movie on the HDD? if you can delete that I bet that would give you back a huge chunk of space.

I'd imagine that's counted in the 2GB of extra content that's already been accounted for.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
If you really are only getting 13 GB of effective space to use, then people SHOULD complain. That is BS, pure and simple.

BlueTsunami

Striek said:
None of the pictures work :(

And I doubt the 7Gb is taken up just by the emulator...

As some people already stated, the exe of the supported games could be part of that area for BC. The exe's would be recompiled for use on the 360 and stored on the HDD. Now you factor in the 200+ games being supported and all their exe's being stored on the HDD could take up some space. But 7GB worth of space?...I wonder why some users are stating that they only get 13GB effective space to work with then...

EGM92

New pictures, AND GOD DAMNIT, SOMEONE GIVE ME BACK MY EDITING ABILITIES, I HATE HAVING TO POST A NEW POST WHEN I COULD EASILY EDIT MY PREVIOUS ONE.

teiresias

EGM, be sure and check out how much harddrive space all of this stuff is taking up when you get a chance, so we can have a few more confirmations of all of that information. Thanks. :D

srst

Speevy said:
Give us some impressions first. Awesome?

Sorry for the late reply. Had to leave right after.

I can't comment too much since I'm still early in the level. So far the game is pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of adventure/platform games but being able to switch characters at anytime makes it more interesting. At some point you'll need to switch characters around to get to another place. Example: The furry dude (forgot the name :lol ) can break an opening for the boxer plant to crawl through it. The concept is like Blizzard's Lost Vikings. The control is fairly easy to use. It's almost like playing Halo in 3rd person view. You'll be using the R-analog a lot to control the view. The graphics is smooth and clean, that means no noticiable jaggies. I'm playing it on a regular 32" tv w/ composite inputs.

Thats about all I have to say. I'm not good at writing reviews. :\

Here's a picture
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1995/xbox3606fi.jpg

Striek

BlueTsunami said:
As some people already stated, the exe of the supported games could be part of that area for BC. The exe's would be recompiled for use on the 360 and stored on the HDD. Now you factor in the 200+ games being supported and all their exe's being stored on the HDD could take up some space. But 7GB worth of space?...I wonder why some users are stating that they only get 13GB effective space to work with then...
Its already been stated that only Halo1 and Halo2 (without online support) will work out of the box, the other titles you will need to connect to XBL or d/l and burn a disc from xbox.com. Even if it did have all the recompiled .exe's, that wouldn't take much more than a gig, much less than 7. The emulator wouldn't be that big at all IMO. Security measures would take up space, and file format information would take up some space, beyond that who knows.

Edit; Also space would be reserved for caching, thats probably 2 gigs.

srst

teiresias said:
srst, can you verify the HDD usage information?

I have 12gigs of free space left with Kameo saved plus a couple pre-installed stuff like trailers and 1 arcade game if thats what you're asking. I'm going to try some Xbox1 games right now. :)

BlueTsunami

Striek said:
Its already been stated that only Halo1 and Halo2 (without online support) will work out of the box, the other titles you will need to connect to XBL or d/l and burn a disc from xbox.com. Even if it didn't have all the recompiled .exe's, that wouldn't take much more than a gig, much less than 7. The emulator wouldn't be that big at all IMO. Security measures would take up space, and file format information would take up some space, beyond that who knows.

For some reason I thought the 200 games worked out the box o_O . Someone on another board let me know that isn't the case though. Also, yeah, I calculated how much the exe's should take up and its around 1GB. Hmmm 7GB? I have absolutley no clue whatsoever.

DenogginizerOS

srst said:
I have 12gigs of free space left with Kameo saved plus a couple pre-installed stuff like trailers and 1 arcade game if thats what you're asking. I'm going to try some Xbox1 games right now. :)

wow

so my friend says he can't get on LIVE with his 360, and this was also reiterated by another person i know, wassupwitdat?

mrklaw said:
Maybe that 7GB is for scratch pad stuff for xbox1 BC support?
the X/Y/Z cache drives were only 750mb each

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
srst said:

More pics dude. We need hot 360 action!

LakeEarth

DenogginizerOS said:
Wow! The box is smaller than I thought it would be. They really did cram a lot into it.
I know. This morning when I got the box, I was like happily opening it up, when I moved some of the paper they put in the boxes and saw more paper, and I'm like, where's the 360? I was expecting it to take up the space of the entire box, but in the end it barely took a corner of it. I'd estimate the box for the 360 is 2/3rds the size of the xbox box.

Anyways, I'm going home soon so I'll try to get some playtime on my 360 when I can.

srst

Just tried a handful of XB1 games and none of them work. I get this message.

live5ww.jpg

Games tested:

Buffy:tvps
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive: XBV
ESPN NHL Hockey 2k4
Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
KOTOR
Midtown Madness 3
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Rainbow Six 3
Rallisport 2
SSX Tricky

I'm not going to bother now...I have lots of work to do.

arne

BlueTsunami said:

Actually, the backwards compatibility emulator that comes pre-installed only takes up about 35MB of space on the HDD.

DenogginizerOS

arne said:
Actually, the backwards compatibility emulator that comes pre-installed only takes up about 35MB of space on the HDD.

So, spill the beans Arne. What is taking up all the space on the 20GB hard drive?

BlueTsunami

DenogginizerOS said:
That was debunked days ago. But that would be cool if true.

What is "Hatch"?

Edit: I just did a forum search. Sounds interesting. Now i'm intrigued as to what that space is taken up by.

LakeEarth

Alright I'm home, gotta eat dinner first but I did get a chance to play a bit. First off, there's a film of plastic over the DVD tray, so make sure you take that off before trying to get it open. I could get on Xbox Live but there is nothing up on the scoreboards, obviously. The graphics on Kameo are cool, but nothing too special, just lots and lots of detail. I may change my tune next week when I get my HDTV.

On the bottom of the plug thing it says... 100-127 V, I have no idea if that's what you wanted though.

Off to eat.

joaomgcd

srst said:
Just tried a handful of XB1 games and none of them work. I get this message.

live5ww.jpg

Games tested:

Buffy:tvps
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive: XBV
ESPN NHL Hockey 2k4
Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
KOTOR
Midtown Madness 3
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Rainbow Six 3
Rallisport 2
SSX Tricky

I'm not going to bother now...I have lots of work to do.

Shouldn't DOA3, KOTOR and Rainbow Six 3 work? Did you connect to live?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
LakeEarth said:
Alright I'm home, gotta eat dinner first but I did get a chance to play a bit. First off, there's a film of plastic over the DVD tray, so make sure you take that off before trying to get it open. I could get on Xbox Live but there is nothing up on the scoreboards, obviously. The graphics on Kameo are cool, but nothing too special, just lots and lots of detail. I may change my tune next week when I get my HDTV.

On the bottom of the plug thing it says... 100-127 V, I have no idea if that's what you wanted though.

Off to eat.

Interesting quote, if your gonna need to have a HDTV to make much of a difference.. that's not good

Jeff-DSA

Why is the Canadian giveaway a million times better than the US one?

Differences:

PIAB Canada - Intec case, coupons, hats, shirts
PIAB US - Coupons, hats, shirts, and advertisement for what could be the dumbest movie of the year

Canada Delivery date - Nov. 14, 2005
US Delivery date - Nov. 19, 2005

Included stuff Canda - Kameo plus a still to come EA game
Included stuff US - EA game

Canada, I'm jealous.

LakeEarth

Suikoguy said:
Interesting quote, if your gonna need to have a HDTV to make much of a difference.. that's not good
Don't get me wrong, it's still impressive. There were some points in the game that looked really nice... and keep in mind I'm still in the very first location of the game, I'm having more fun exploring the Xbox functions right now.

Loading times on Kameo are great. Very little if at all that I've seen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
LakeEarth said:
Don't get me wrong, it's still impressive. There were some points in the game that looked really nice... and keep in mind I'm still in the very first location of the game, I'm having more fun exploring the Xbox functions right now.

Ah, alright i'll look for your other impressions. Susposedly the first area in Kameo looks like crap in comparision. I've heard virtually no SD impressions since the Xbox 360 was annouced, so I was curious.

Top Bottom