• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

Mattyp

Gold Member
But you brought up crackdown as well? Now i thought crackdown was ok. Not a game i would revisit but while i played it i thought it was ok

Of course he hasn't played Crackdown he's just talking shit. He's a proud very mature grown up man! Harry Potter?! Toy Story?!!@# NOT FOR ME THEY ARE MERE CHILDREN'S THINGS! I AS AN FULL GROWN ADULT DO NOT CONSORT TO SUCH LEVELS.

Pallas

Wish they put this one back in the oven. I’m not sure why they believe that art direction is right for that game. It looks like a 90’s, early ‘00 Disney cartoon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's this thread and someone said why is SoR4 getting a pass and BT isn't. I'm about to log into work, so can't bother finding that person's quote to reply to.

But I think SoR4 gets a pass because the artwork is modern but still fits the old Genesis games. It also had some options and MP.

BT games were wacky with animals fighting but it still had that Double Dragon kind of gritty look to it. This new BT game looks like a flash game or some cheaply animated cartoon with flat textures.

Not sure about the gameplay or anything but just strictly on visuals, SoR4 looks better and closer to the original games.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sure, but most of their games this gen are closer to be in that 69 region than to 80 or 90.

7l15CkL.png

dSpMw7j.png

VM0lonA.png

9DmEJEy.png

dRArxi0.png

XL10sch.png

6FV90Tg.png

uzM5qYA.png

BsIF3jq.png

iVlVmH7.png

esvfVnw.png

UzKcAeg.png

fA4Sudx.png

XHAhUUf.png

BfJW8Un.png

qoy25Zf.png

eNeGSwY.png

XfOUxt6.png

I984MkU.png

llLeonhart

well, it seems you are just trolling then, aren't you?
Why would you assume that?

Why am I required to play something I have no interesting in playing to criticize it? Why do I need to waste my time to play something I don't enjoy?
I thought I would hate TLOU2 because of the spoilers, my friends convinced me to play it, sure enough, I loathe it.
I thought I wouldn't like Fallout 76 because of how Janky it seems, friends said it "just didn't show well, but it was a ton of fun, specially with friends!" Sure enough, money and time wasted.

I am not trolling, I despise the artstyle of this game, I am not criticizing gameplay, I didn't in any of my posts because I have not played it to judge gameplay. But I do NOT need to play something in order to criticize it.

I have, however, played a lot of MS games on Gamepass, and besides very few select games, none of them are really great.

llLeonhart

But yet willI get to come to a thread to trash summit you will never play
Yes I am. I grew up on battletoads, I love the franchise, I want it to be what I know it can be, is that so hard to understand?

Geez, you guys need to realize that criticism <> hate.

I will not shower this game with praise, because I don't think it deserves it. I will not ignore this game, because if fans just ignore this game, suits may think that no one cares about this franchise anymore and bury it.
This is not what I want. I want Battletoads to be at the spotlight again, I want the same rush I got when playing the original, or the rare replay collection, I want the excitement of seeing rash kick ass on screen as I felt when playing KI.

Stop trying to brush off criticism as trolling, because you're not doing anyone any service.

Papacheeks

Banned
Although I played battletoads for a couple of hours only, I think I prefer it to streets of rage.
streets of rage I played some when it came out, I got bored after a while.
I like the quick controls of battletoads gameplay way more. that's why I mentioned cuphead.
I 'll play some more today

edit: also about music, animation and writing I think streets of rage is not the better game here, too, other than gameplay.

A complete package, and realized reboot it is. The story is throw away but makes sense when comparing it to the original that had no story. The fighting/animation in streets of rage 4 is that of almost a fighting game in it's frame-times and accuracy. Something battletoads lacks.

The combo system in SOR4 is much better and more fleshed out, also there being a vs mode and boss mode also helps.

Battletoads is trying to be a platformer, side scroller shooter, beet'em up and a cartoon all at the same time and doesn't succeed in all area's.

The fact it has 3 playable characters but no co-op is the biggest thing score wise holding this game back.

A complete package, and realized reboot it is. The story is throw away but makes sense when comparing it to the original that had no story. The fighting/animation in streets of rage 4 is that of almost a fighting game in it's frame-times and accuracy. Something battletoads lacks.

The combo system in SOR4 is much better and more fleshed out, also there being a vs mode and boss mode also helps.

Battletoads is trying to be a platformer, side scroller shooter, beet'em up and a cartoon all at the same time and doesn't succeed in all area's.

The fact it has 3 playable characters but no co-op is the biggest thing score wise holding this game back.
As I said I only played the first couple of levels, so I havent seen yet the platform and shoot'em up areas of the game.
the beat'em up I played though, I liked a lot. and there was precision, contrary to what you say.
maybe the other aspects are not so successful, but I dont know yet :]
acg's review though says that the worst part of the game is what I played, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.
and yes no online multiplayer is a bummer, but that didnt stop cuphead from getting the recognition it deserved for what it made right.

Papacheeks

Banned
As I said I only played the first couple of levels, so I havent seen yet the platform and shoot'em up areas of the game.
the beat'em up I played though, I liked a lot. and there was precision, contrary to what you say.
maybe the other aspects are not so successful, but I dont know yet :]
acg's review though says that the worst part of the game is what I played, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.
and yes no online multiplayer is a bummer, but that didnt stop cuphead from getting the recognition it deserved for what it made right.

Cuphead was built as a great side scroller shooter with amazing hand drawn animation. It's presentation and it's progression with hard to master difficulty is what makes that game stand out.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And also, I'd argue that 60 for Ryse is incredibly low, and that Sea of Thieves meta represents the state of the game when was released. No way SoT NOW is a 67.

I would concur, but even still, a majority are not as the poster claims.

Reactions: JLB

Papacheeks

Banned
And also, I'd argue that 60 for Ryse is incredibly low, and that Sea of Thieves meta represents the state of the game when was released. No way SoT NOW is a 67.
And I think that might be part of the inherent issue with GAMEPASS going forward.

If we start to see releases from first party in similar shape where they make a full fledged game down the line through updates instead of having it be polished and content rich. I pray Fable isn't a content update game.

I have faith in Playground they are super talented, I just hope that the game doesn't get influenced by the service it's on in how it's content is developed.

I would concur, but even still, a majority are not as the poster claims.

I think that goes along with the overall issue with Microsoft's developed games in general. A mixed bag. Not something that draws confidence even with the new studios they now have.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And I think that might be part of the inherent issue with GAMEPASS going forward.

If we start to see releases from first party in similar shape where they make a full fledged game down the line through updates instead of having it be polished and content rich. I pray Fable isn't a content update game.

I have faith in Playground they are super talented, I just hope that the game doesn't get influenced by the service it's on in how it's content is developed.

I think that goes along with the overall issue with Microsoft's developed games in general. A mixed bag. Not something that draws confidence even with the new studios they now have.

I dont think anyone is arguing that their output this gen has been mixed but to push that a majority of their games have been 6's and 7's is flat out false.

Cuphead was built as a great side scroller shooter with amazing hand drawn animation. It's presentation and it's progression with hard to master difficulty is what makes that game stand out.
control precision and art style is what made cuphead shine. and it was a boss battler at first, the platform parts were added later just because what was shown received such a positive acceptance.
I found battletoads beat'em up sections I played to also be quick and precise. that's what I am saying.

Dang thats a bummer, i really enjoyed Double Dragon Battle Toads back in the day and had hopes. Probably will still check it out. Maybe it will pull a GoT and user review really high.

Journey

Banned
The reviews for Xbox are almost double the amount so obviously it makes sense to quote them as opposed to ones for PC. The ratings for PC are already falling after couple more reviews, down to 73 now. Not so much of a joke, am I? lol.

Your comment is the joke, read it again. I’m glad Phil approves these type of games, you need more than one flavor, just because the majority of people love strawberry, it shouldn’t be the only option.

Also, posting a floating score is stupid, it's at 72 now and could still change. OP should be updated

Last edited:
Your comment is the joke, read it again. I’m glad Phil approves these type of games, you need more than one flavor, just because the majority of people love strawberry, it shouldn’t be the only option.

He should look into a few dormant licences IMO

Like X-Men , Simpson’s stuff like that. A Simpson’s Hit & Run remake would attract some positivity im sure.

MaulerX

72 is bad?

I mean it's not great but it's definitely not bad either. It came literally a few days after Flight Simulator 2020 which got a 93. If anything it highlights the diversity of games being put into GamePass. Some will be great, some will be average. It is what it is.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
People gonna hate on the game not mater what, even I was shocked how much I’m enjoying it.

People wanna use battle toads as an arrow in there quiver for console warring. They would be lucky if any launch game this year is as fun as this one.

MiguelItUp

Considering it's Battletoads, I think it's impressive that it sits where it sits, I mean, people like it more than others but the game is fine. It's a fun and fine game apparently. It could've been god awful, and it's not. Is it everyone's cup of tea? Of course not, not every game is. But I'm impressed that it's alright/okay.

Now, if you were expecting this to be incredibly stellar, that's a personal fault of your own, lol. I'm sure I'll give it a shot at some point on Game Pass. But now ATM as I'm still wrapping up GoT as well as playing Risk of Rain 2 and Rogue Legacy 2.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I see you conveniently left our these masterpieces.
A.

Do us all a favor and shrink your images.

B. I included everything that came to mind. Your point that a majority of their games being 6s and 7s is still wrong.

C. I included Killer Instinct.

Last edited:

Roberts

Wish they put this one back in the oven. I’m not sure why they believe that art direction is right for that game. It looks like a 90’s, early ‘00 Disney cartoon.

It is totally fine when you play it and it fits well with game's juvenile, but meta humour. My only criticism so far (other than lack of online co-op) is that levels tend to be a bit longer than needed. It felt like the bike level lasted for ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's this thread and someone said why is SoR4 getting a pass and BT isn't. I'm about to log into work, so can't bother finding that person's quote to reply to.

But I think SoR4 gets a pass because the artwork is modern but still fits the old Genesis games. It also had some options and MP.

BT games were wacky with animals fighting but it still had that Double Dragon kind of gritty look to it. This new BT game looks like a flash game or some cheaply animated cartoon with flat textures.

Not sure about the gameplay or anything but just strictly on visuals, SoR4 looks better and closer to the original games.

Yep, and I was one of the sorts who was on-the-fence with SoR4's graphics when they first revealed it. Thicc Blaze kept me hyped tho and the game turned out to be very visually cohesive and pretty much what (realistically) a modern-day 2D SoR game would look like.

I've warmed up to aspects of the new Battletoads visually (the backgrounds look nice, some of the attack animations look fun), it reminds me of the kind of keyframes you'd get in some '90s cartoons which is a plus for me. But I don't think it's as visually cohesive as it should be, and the animation in the cutscenes looks cheap.

The actual writing for the cutscenes tho, is actually kind of good. It's funny IMO and the game doesn't take itself so seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if FS2020 user score is getting review-bombed by fanboys or people who thought it was going to be an Ace Combat/Afterburner kind of game. Hell this is probably the first time they've played a serious simulator for 90% of those user reviewers, no hand-holding mechanics to artificially boost your imaginary skill level here xD

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Reviews are polarizing. Some people who think the original Battletoads sucked, loved this one and vice versa. Big knocks are that its too easy and has no online multiplayer.

Roberts

Reviews are polarizing. Some people who think the original Battletoads sucked, loved this one and vice versa. Big knocks are that its too easy and has no online multiplayer.

Hmm, weird, because I got my ass kicked on Battletoad difficulty. And Toad difficulty is not exactly a walk in the park (I am not even close to the end)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yep, and I was one of the sorts who was on-the-fence with SoR4's graphics when they first revealed it. Thicc Blaze kept me hyped tho and the game turned out to be very visually cohesive and pretty much what (realistically) a modern-day 2D SoR game would look like.

I've warmed up to aspects of the new Battletoads visually (the backgrounds look nice, some of the attack animations look fun), it reminds me of the kind of keyframes you'd get in some '90s cartoons which is a plus for me. But I don't think it's as visually cohesive as it should be, and the animation in the cutscenes looks cheap.

The actual writing for the cutscenes tho, is actually kind of good. It's funny IMO and the game doesn't take itself so seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if FS2020 user score is getting review-bombed by fanboys or people who thought it was going to be an Ace Combat/Afterburner kind of game. Hell this is probably the first time they've played a serious simulator for 90% of those user reviewers, no hand-holding mechanics to artificially boost your imaginary skill level here xD

USer Scores are not something I really take into consideration much. Its far too easy to manipulate.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I see you conveniently left our these masterpieces.

y7xy1uU.jpg

bq6uuYM.jpg

9nQ2PJj.jpg

ov9YxtX.jpg

AiePNOq.jpg

Even adding those 4 games still disproves your point.

Also Sea of Thieves at launch vs now.
Killer Instinct at launch vs now.

Very very different games.
On going titles cant sit at the review they got years ago if they are constantly being updated.

But thats neither here no there.
You point is still wrong.

But nice try though.

Top Bottom