• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

Ozzie666

Can someone breakdown what makes Streets of Rage 4 so great compared to Battle toads? looking for a nice summary. I thought SO4 was really great personally. Is it the graphics? combat?

I think the real question is, why are the SonyGaf people interested in this and MSFS game at all? Wouldn't it be nice if we could have Nintendo/Xbox review threads that aren't immediately filled with hot takes by people who, for the most part, not only have no interest in the game itself, but don't even own a system actually able to play it?

This and even most Halo Infinite threads are still probably still more pleasant to read through than most of the TLOU2 threads and online reviews. I don’t think I ever witnessed so much hatred for anything gaming related in my entire life for the most trifling and even insignificant things. I doubt Battletoads will ever reach those historic levels at least.

Journey

Banned
Lol, another 69 rated game from Microsoft. How many 69 rated games has Phil approved this gen? Smh, it's basically a meme at this point. The scores for the game do seem to be all over the place though.

Your a joke, go home, you’re drunk!

JLB

Banned
Can someone breakdown what makes Streets of Rage 4 so great compared to Battle toads? looking for a nice summary. I thought SO4 was really great personally. Is it the graphics? combat?

I finished SOR4 the same day it was released on GamePass. Its a passable game at the most, never understood the praise for it.

Last edited:

I haven’t played Battletoads yet so I’m probably not the best source. I would imagine it’s because it’s very faithful to the old games. As a matter of fact, I think it could be the best main SOR to date which is a tall order.

The graphics are nice and colorful, the soundtrack is still great which is a challenge in itself, controls are responsive, all characters feel very different from each other with strengths and weaknesses, hidden retro characters with modifications, the combat has depth, nice animations, Blaze still looks faithful to her old self aesthetically, yet modernized(very important).

It’s just a fun game imo and even has online co-op as well that runs adequate most of the times. You can tell the developers of this game had unadulterated passion for the product and are fans of the old games. They even have the old sprites and pixel backgrounds if you don’t like the art style or want to go retro. I’ll probably try out Battletoads tonight to see how it compares.

Last edited:

Kazza

Watching Alanah Pearce's stream of it RN, seems decent enough. I'm curious how the hardcore beat 'em up players take to it; even SOR4 got some criticism from a few in that scene even if they really enjoyed it overall.

I still don't care too much for the game's artstyle, but it could be a decent casual time-waster. Not every game needs to be a Flight Simulator 2020 or Ghosts of Tsushima to warrant its existence.

Isn't this game more of a mix of genres, rather than an out and out beat'em up like SoR4? I seem to remember platform and shoot'em up sections from previews. I'm not sure about the humour, but as you said it could be a nice little gamepass style game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Played about two hours with my son, great times so far. But hey, it's Microsoft so we gotta shit all over it ya?

Sad to see gamers hate on nothing.
So two player co-op is pretty fun? How hard is the game? I know you said your son played it with you but he could be 18 for all I know.

teezzy

Banned
Looks like it'll appeal to people who want to play a Battletoads game in 2020.

It was already destined to be a niche title.

Soon to be forgotten, I'm sure. Should be a fun rainy night GamePass download.

People are acting like this is Xbox meat and potatoes are foolin'

Lol, another 69 rated game from Microsoft. How many 69 rated games has Phil approved this gen?

Phil Spencer is an alpha chad and a ladies man, he got 69 on his mind alright.

I cannot grasp why they thought this art style was a good choice. Like, SOR4 gave me pause too when it was first revealed, but then we saw more from it and it made sense, you know? Battletoads never made sense.

JLB

Banned
Phil Spencer is an alpha chad and a ladies man, he got 69 on his mind alright.

I cannot grasp why they thought this art style was a good choice. Like, SOR4 gave me pause too when it was first revealed, but then we saw more from it and it made sense, you know? Battletoads never made sense.

Its at 77 on Metacritic as of now.
edit: and back to 69, what a rollercoaster ha.

Last edited:
Its at 77 on Metacritic as of now.
edit: and back to 69, what a rollercoaster ha.

77 is the PC version with 9 reviews. Anyway, it could be at 99 and I'd still think it looks like ass lol. I don't know what they were going for, but they missed it.

RyanEvans21

Your a joke, go home, you’re drunk!

That PC though

JLB

Banned
77 is the PC version with 9 reviews. Anyway, it could be at 99 and I'd still think it looks like ass lol. I don't know what they were going for, but they missed it.

Yeah, I dont like what Im seeing. Its basically looks like a SOR4 part 2, just a bland uninspired beat 'm up.

golden axe on DOSBox or something.

1535901175248.jpg

sinnergy

Lol, another 69 rated game from Microsoft. How many 69 rated games has Phil approved this gen? Smh, it's basically a meme at this point. The scores for the game do seem to be all over the place though.
Flight sim got 10s, just saying .. not all games are great ...

And for everyone, reviewers are also people.

I can’t care less as I have GP. So I can sample it myself.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
That PC though

So you don’t see the point? How can the score be so drastically different when it’s the EXACT SAME GAME!

People are just hating on Xbox, so they just focus on what they want to see. IGN gives it an 8/10, but their opinion doesn’t count, we want to focus on some low tier reviewers giving out unreasonable scores bringing down the average. The PC version has some good scores, but we’ll ignore that too, let’s forget all those on PC having a blast with the game because it’s all about the meta on the Xbox side despite them being identical... smdh

Last edited:

Shmunter

So you don’t see the point? How can the score be so drastically different when it’s the EXACT SAME GAME!

People are just hating on Xbox, so they just focus on what they want to see. IGN gives it an 8/10, but their opinion doesn’t count, we want to focus on some low tier reviewers giving out unreasonable scores bringing down the average. The PC version has some good scores, but we’ll ignore that too, let’s forget all those on PC having a blast with the game because it’s all about the meta on the Xbox side despite them being identical... smdh
Just go and enjoy the game and turn that frown upside down.

In the meantime aggregate opinion will always be a quick glimpse into the quality of something. Can’t change it, only decide for oneself.

Reactions: MrS

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Funny how when “Days gone” was released and didnt review amazingly (i believe it is a good game but not played it yet) that reviews dont matter these days but when Microsoft game gets an average review then everybody is like reviews are important lol

not every game will be a 90+ review but does that mean the game isn’t enjoyable? No

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Funny how when “Days gone” was released and didnt review amazingly (i believe it is a good game but not played it yet) that reviews dont matter these days but when Microsoft game gets an average review then everybody is like reviews are important lol

not every game will be a 90+ review but does that mean the game isn’t enjoyable? No
That’s because one set of reviews was the SJW left attacking a great game. 🙄

And the other is the game getting what it deserves. 🙄

Its easy to spot the difference.

Orky

Banned
Metacritic? Isn't OpenCritic way better for games?

It's at 71 on OpenCritic, which is fair.

I’m actually enjoying it so far. How’s it compare to SOR4? Well, it’s different from it to be honest. I literally just started, but it seems rather promising. The fighting is fun and if you like the old games, you’ll probably like this one as well. They did retain one thing though. The game is quite challenging from what I played.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m actually enjoying it so far. How’s it compare to SOR4? Well, it’s different from it to be honest. I literally just started, but it seems rather promising. The fighting is fun and if you like the old games, you’ll probably like this one as well. They did retain one thing though. The game is quite challenging from what I played.
I only played through the first level and the bike level, but it felt like an old school beat em up with a modern twist in the storytelling and minigames.

Most reviewers probably blasted through it once and rated it, based on nothing.

I know with the first boss it took me a few times to get his visual cues (even though he telegraphs it) but it seems like the kind of game you should play through a couple times before making a judgement on it.

Like you could beat a Double Dragon back in the day by dying repeatedly and punching more quarters in the machine or you could get good enough to 1 credit clear it, that’s kind of the point of these games and one that is the antithesis to what game reviewing is.

Last edited:

Skifi28

It looked dreadful every time it was shown, it's actually a little better than expected. Unfortunately, it seems like "it works" or "it's ok" are the best things that can be said about it. Looks like successful gamepass filler to me.

I give it a 7 out of 10 it was alright nothing special got to play it thanks to gamepass without spending extra money so always a plus.

pasterpl

they have released some games in 80-90 region as well

I only played through the first level and the bike level, but it felt like an old school beat em up with a modern twist in the storytelling and minigames.

Most reviewers probably blasted through it once and rated it, based on nothing.

I know with the first boss it took me a few times to get his visual cues (even though he telegraphs it) but it seems like the kind of game you should play through a couple times before making a judgement on it.

Like you could beat a Double Dragon back in the day by dying repeatedly and punching more quarters in the machine or you could get good enough to 1 credit clear it, that’s kind of the point of these games and one that is the antithesis to what game reviewing is.

Agreed. Yeah, honestly most reviewers from my experience never really particularly cared for beat-em-up style games. I’m a sucker for these types of games though, so maybe I’m a little biased. The further I get in Battletoads the more it seems like this is actually going to be a very solid to good game with the fighting, mini games, bits of comedy and little puzzle elements to break up the action. Despite its much less grittier aesthetics and more cartoony look, I personally think it still feels like Battletoads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom