• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

Raziel

Metacritic (73) - https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/battletoads

Ars Technica - No score
The larger issue, arguably, is the lack of online multiplayer. Unlike Streets of Rage 4, Battletoads is offline-only, so if your ideal playmate can't get to your couch as of late, I'd recommend other superior beat-'em-up options. Should you have a good two- or three-person posse on your couch, and you already pay for Xbox Game Pass, expect a funny, brief, 10-and-older cartoon romp. But Dlala has implemented just enough obnoxious stuff between Battletoads' good bits to stop me, a pretty freakish Battletoads fan, from recommending that anyone buy it outright.

Destructoid - 7/10
I suspect it's going to be highly polarizing (not only due to the adherence to retro style difficulty but the newness of the art and humor), but it somewhat won me over due to sheer force of will.

Easy Allies - 7/10
Battletoads tries to do a lot in a short amount of time, and mostly succeeds. The core beat ‘em up stages drag on a little too long and the comedy is hit or miss, but there are enough other ideas mixed in to break up the pace and keep things interesting. It may not be the most triumphant comeback, but it’s a decent homecoming for Rare’s irreverent heroes.

Eurogamer - No score
Battletoads is short. Really short. TOO short.

Game Informer - 5/10
The kindest thing I can say about Battletoads is this: It works. The controls are fine, I encountered no major technical issues, and an optional invincibility feature allows you to easily clear sections that are giving you too much trouble. Simply being playable from beginning to end is a tragically low bar to clear, but it’s the main thing Battletoads has going for it. Otherwise, this baffling experience digs through decades of gaming history to unearth the Battletoads name only to drag it through the mud.

GameSpot - 6/10
Most of the game's foundation is solid. The beat-'em-up combat, the art, and a lot of secondary gameplay is surprising and fun. Though its blend of gameplay variations feels unbalanced at times, and it isn't always the laugh-riot it tries to be, Battletoads is an entertaining little romp.

IGN - 8/10
Battletoads not only revives the long-dormant beat 'em up franchise, it makes it fun to play for everyone instead of only ultra-hardcore masochists. And if they made a TV show about these hilarious characters, I'd watch it.

Metro GameCentral - 5/10
In the end we’ve come to believe that maybe the trolling theory is accurate and that this is all one big joke carried out by Microsoft, Rare, and Dlala Studios. Either way, we spent the entire time being frustrated, bewildered, and only very occasionally entertained. We don’t think our experience would’ve been improved if we did happen to be big Battletoads groupies though, as this doesn’t seem like something fans, or indeed anyone else, would enjoy.

PCMag - 2.5/5
A blast from the past, Battletoads doesn't have much going for it once the nostalgia wears off. The newest series entry has solid brawling action, but its frustrating mini-games and other genre-blending challenges quickly overstay their welcome.

TheXboxHub - 4.5/5
In their attempt to create a game that evokes the spirit of the classic originals, Dlala Studios has made a stupendous hit for the Xbox One library. Not only does Battletoads pay homage to the series entries that came before, it surpasses them.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Metacritic (69)
6zeve8L.gif

kunonabi

I mean this was the expected result from the reveal and that highly telling Behind-the-Scenes video. This was not made to please Battletoads fans at all.

Vawn

Banned
69 is actually a lot better than I would have expected after the first reveal.

Also, has anyone else noticed IGN has been reviewing almost everything quite a bit higher than just about everyone else lately?

Stuart360

69 is actually a lot better than I would have expected after the first reveal.

Also, has anyone else noticed IGN has been reviewing almost everything quite a bit higher than just about everyone else lately?
Got a feeling they got tired of all those 'IGN 6/10' memes.
Anyay this game blows, i have zero interst even if it got 9's accross the board.

Kazza

This is going to be 500 pages the warriors are pent up after flight simulator reviews and not being able to shit on it. Go to town I guess pretend a 94 did not come out less than a week ago lol.

It's going to be a repeat of the Craig thing, only on a much smaller scale (thank god). That one was like a massive, cathartic, simultaneous fanboy ejaculation all over GAF, one that had been building up ever since the console specs reveal. This time it's the universal praise of Flight Simulator that has got them all tense, so this game will come as a blessed relief for them.

I'll be interested to hear what GamepassGAF has to say about this one. A real mix of scores so far, so it might be a love it or hate it thing.

Bryank75

Banned
It's going to be a repeat of the Craig thing, only on a much smaller scale (thank god). That one was like a massive, cathartic, simultaneous fanboy ejaculation all over GAF, one that had been building up ever since the console specs reveal. This time it's the universal praise of Flight Simulator that has got them all tense, so this game will come as a blessed relief for them.

I'll be interested to hear what GamepassGAF has to say about this one. A real mix of scores so far, so it might be a love it or hate it thing.
I think you overestimate the relevance or importance of FS2020.... particularly to PS gamers.

Vroadstar

sf4hhs0.gif

Kazza

I think you overestimate the relevance or importance of FS2020.... particularly to PS gamers.

I think the real question is, why are the SonyGaf people interested in this and MSFS game at all? Wouldn't it be nice if we could have Nintendo/Xbox review threads that aren't immediately filled with hot takes by people who, for the most part, not only have no interest in the game itself, but don't even own a system actually able to play it?

Vawn

Banned
I think the real question is, why are the SonyGaf people interested in this and MSFS game at all? Wouldn't it be nice if we could have Nintendo/Xbox review threads that aren't immediately filled with hot takes by people who, for the most part, not only have no interest in the game itself, but don't even own a system actually able to play it?

I know it's rare, but when PS has an exclusive rate below average, you can guarantee the normal Xbox guys will be there. Hell, they are STILL talking about Knack.

We literally have two options, sonygaf.com or reeeeeee.com. Each have their assholes.

Watching Alanah Pearce's stream of it RN, seems decent enough. I'm curious how the hardcore beat 'em up players take to it; even SOR4 got some criticism from a few in that scene even if they really enjoyed it overall.

I still don't care too much for the game's artstyle, but it could be a decent casual time-waster. Not every game needs to be a Flight Simulator 2020 or Ghosts of Tsushima to warrant its existence.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm gonna get outta here and let you enjoy your review thread... I really don't have that answer.

I don't think anyone from the PS side is going particularly hard in this thread, I just saw the IGN review after listening to Beyond! an hour ago and they mentioned Game Pass so much during what is meant to be a PS podcast...... I just wanted to voice my displeasure with IGN really.

I may be a PlayStation guy but I actually want you guys to have games to enjoy and if PlayStation sold 120 million but Xbox also sold over 100 million consoles, I would be delighted.

I'll get this for its art style (I've been wanting it from the beginning) but honestly this is the last Xbox game I plan on purchasing until they figure out what the hell they are doing with everything they hold hostile.

Kazza

I'm gonna get outta here and let you enjoy your review thread... I really don't have that answer.

I don't think anyone from the PS side is going particularly hard in this thread, I just saw the IGN review after listening to Beyond! an hour ago and they mentioned Game Pass so much during what is meant to be a PS podcast...... I just wanted to voice my displeasure with IGN really.

I may be a PlayStation guy but I actually want you guys to have games to enjoy and if PlayStation sold 120 million but Xbox also sold over 100 million consoles, I would be delighted.

Appreciated. The console warring thing is fine (and funny) in small doses, but gets tiresome when so many review threads are immediately filled with shitposts on the first page instead of people genuinely talking about the actual game in question. OTs, reviews threads and the like should be a "lay down your weapons before you enter" kind of places. Let the giant Next Gen thread and the Power King etc threads be the GAF console wars battleground. I'm even willing to give up all future Digital Foundry threads to the console warriors at this point, so don't say I'm not a reasonable man.

Top Bottom