• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

Kagey K

Banned
You clearly have no idea about what Battledoads meant for many fans back in time.

The game lost all of its identity.

Sure kids and newcomers will like this, nonetheless they killed a franchise.
I probably don’t have the same attachment to Battletoads as you do, but I have to disagree.

I loved TMNT (1987) and the comic books and have seen it bastardized over the years, and when I first saw Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I was appalled at what they did to them, but as I started watching the show and got over how they looked I realized they were trying to tell a new story.

Same with Teen Titan fans hating Go!

The gameplay is soIid and there is stuff that Old fans and new can appreciate.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A 69? For this fucking garbage?
what a about a sticker for you tried too
For fuck sake man

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Never trust metacritic scores. The game looks pretty good imo.
Dont? Do you like what you see? Then actually watch or read the reviews and see what’s their issue is, maybe their the things they don’t like might not be such a big deal for you.

For example:
There are people who have issue with its artstyle but that’s very subjective and solely based on individual taste.

Kagey K

Banned
Did you even play the game ?
The answer is obvious.

People don’t play games because they like them anymore, it’s about how much someone else liked it and it will greatly affect how much you like it.

Don’t bother drawing your own conclusions anymore. Everyone else will tell you what to think.

MrS

Banned
Dont? Do you like what you see? Then actually watch or read the reviews and see what’s their issue is, maybe their the things they don’t like might not be such a big deal for you.

For example:
There are people who have issue with its artstyle but that’s very subjective and solely based on individual taste.
Every reviewer has biases ingrained, some may not even be aware of it. We know how spiteful and vindictive some games journalists are. I simply don’t believe them knowing how they’ve scored Sony games over the past few years. Game looks fine.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Every reviewer has biases ingrained, some may not even be aware of it. We know how spiteful and vindictive some games journalists are. I simply don’t believe them knowing how they’ve scored Sony games over the past few years. Game looks fine.
If it’s looks fine to you then that’s all you need, these days there are enough gameplay footage, streamers that you won’t need reviews in order to make your decision.

Reactions: MrS

octiny

Banned
It looks so bad.

Cxqf80o.png

yJM3oOB.png

giphy.gif

On a more serious note, I'm gonna give this a shot. Looks like it'll be fun with a few friends & a couple brews.

MS just cannot catch a break.

It's entirely their own fault though.

For every Flight Sim or Ori there's a half dozen disappointments and 'it's OK but...' games that clearly have not had the passion, vision and good management behind them that Sony and Nintendo games do.

The fact games like this are now just expected as 'Gamepass filler' also is not a good look for MS or their subscription service. It's all very well having a low barrier to entry, but if what you're offering is considered cheap because of its low quality, then the value quickly disappears.

Kagey K

Banned
MS just cannot catch a break.

It's entirely their own fault though.

For every Flight Sim or Ori there's a half dozen disappointments and 'it's OK but...' games that clearly have not had the passion, vision and good management behind them that Sony and Nintendo games do.

The fact games like this are now just expected as 'Gamepass filler' also is not a good look for MS or their subscription service. It's all very well having a low barrier to entry, but if what you're offering is considered cheap because of its low quality, then the value quickly disappears.
Again I’ll ask,

In this day and age what should a 90s style beat em up have as an average score?

Last edited:
Again I’ll ask,

In this day and age what should a 90s style beat em up have as an average score?
Well Streets of Rage 4 has an 85 on Opencritic, so for a first party exclusive in such a niche genre, with effectively infinite resources and a wider brand to advertise, at least that.

Cuphead is just as niche and has a similar cartoon aesthetic, as well as a no compromises approach to an unpopular, similar genre, and that's considered one of the best games of the generation. Same with Ori really.

There's just no excuse for this basically. It should have been an easy win for MS, but for whatever reason they fluffed it, again.

Raekwon26

Why wouldn’t it be reviewed?

What's there to talk about with this game? I'm surprised people even care.

It's probably just me being an asshole but this is like reviewing Solitare. What did you expect?

If this came out on the OUYA (LOOOOL) this would probably get like 5 reviews. i don't we would even have a thread for it.

I see lots of people jumping on the metacritic low score and criticising gamepass quality while conveniently forgetting the amazing MS Flight Sim high score from a few days ago..

Tulipanzo

I just saw a full playthrough and it looks beyond bad.

It's not even a beat-em-up except at the very start, then it's all padded out minigames and filler with a truly terrible story.

I don't know what some of these reviewers were smoking, but to call a game where Rash wears a diaper visibly full of shit "hilarious" sure says something about them.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Jesus Christ, we have done this a few times already.

If you want to sling mud, at least do it proper.

It’s right at Days Gone level, so it must not be that terrible. Right?
you know its a meme and a word made by using a joke about the mix of other languages ? its not a sling mug,game looked horrible ,you dont like days gone? go and make a thread o post on one,its that easy

Kagey K

Banned
you know its a meme and a word made by using a joke about the mix of other languages ? its not a sling mug,game looked horrible ,you dont like days gone? go and make a thread o post on one,its that easy
I would but I’m never allowed to speak about that game. Ever.

Redlancet

Banned
I would but I’m never allowed to speak about that game. Ever.
dont know man,this is a thread about battletoads,you can talk about how bad it looks,a no.its not the genere,streets of rage looked much better,there is no excuse

Last edited:

bellome

I probably don’t have the same attachment to Battletoads as you do, but I have to disagree.

I loved TMNT (1987) and the comic books and have seen it bastardized over the years, and when I first saw Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I was appalled at what they did to them, but as I started watching the show and got over how they looked I realized they were trying to tell a new story.

Same with Teen Titan fans hating Go!

The gameplay is soIid and there is stuff that Old fans and new can appreciate.

Just Look at Streets of rage as an example of a proper modernization of a beloved franchise.

I was born in the early 80s and, as almost everyone at that time I love TMNT. Now I cry every time I see I see the visual abomination they did to the franchise (my son obv loves them).

In the end I understand they want to appeal to a young audience for business reasons, that makes me sad but it's the harsh reality.

I will accept it and move on 😢

What's there to talk about with this game? I'm surprised people even care.

It's probably just me being an asshole but this is like reviewing Solitare. What did you expect?

If this came out on the OUYA (LOOOOL) this would probably get like 5 reviews. i don't we would even have a thread for it.

It’s just another waste of potential as far as I’m concerned

Redlight

It's going to be a repeat of the Craig thing, only on a much smaller scale (thank god). That one was like a massive, cathartic, simultaneous fanboy ejaculation all over GAF, one that had been building up ever since the console specs reveal. This time it's the universal praise of Flight Simulator that has got them all tense, so this game will come as a blessed relief for them.

I'll be interested to hear what GamepassGAF has to say about this one. A real mix of scores so far, so it might be a love it or hate it thing.
You are wrong!
It's also the hardware deep dive.

Played it for a bit, not for me. It was free though, so no harm done.

the main problem to me with retro junk like this or SOR4 is not idiotic art style or even pixels. It's precisely that these games never evolved from the 90s - still a simple sidescroller from back when machines couldn't do any better. They're today right in the same level as retro indies, instead of the AAA they once were.

you want a beatemup (I never dug these genre titles) today? Best I can think of are Batman Arkham series and Shadow of Mordor/War, both direct descendents plus also adding stealth, strategy and RPG features to the play mechanics. Why go back to 90s limitations?

Top Bottom