• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

iconmaster

Banned
There would be no evidence of you have moved at all, so you wouldnt have come back........you just never moved.

Sometimes, it's better to stand still.

564e9681862951e8c7a1c9f0e0d46dc2.gif

Calverz

Ok...then I'd really like to know why Xbox fans get so mad when people say Xbox is no more a console, it's a service now.
Because thats the fanboys. Xbox is transitioning into a service. I think thats the right strategy for them going forward. Different strats fit different companies. Xbox needs to differentiate itself from direct competition with playstation. As long as they continue to deliver a box for people who want that experience in the living room then im happy.

Banned
I didn't expect to like it, but after playing the first 2 levels I gotta say it's really good.

I don't get the low rating whatsoever, the attacks feel good, the fighting system has some depth to it and the enemy behaviour is pretty fair so far.

the bike level was also really fun, not too hard but definitely a challenge.

so once again, game reviews turn out to be completely useless IMO.

Battletoads is not on the same level as Streets of Rage 4, but it is better than 99% of modern beat em ups that got better reviewed for some reason (well, I repeat myself but game reviews are useless)

Last edited:
You clearly have no idea about what Battledoads meant for many fans back in time.

The game lost all of its identity.

Sure kids and newcomers will like this, nonetheless they killed a franchise.
They killed a franchise? No, they revived a dead franchise because of a long standing meme when it would have otherwise been left dead.

Battletoads was never a good game, it got it's reverence due to being incredibly difficult.

Banned
You clearly have no idea about what Battledoads meant for many fans back in time.

I liked the old games and I like the new one so far. In fact, if I look at it as objectively as possible, then so far it is by far the best in the series.

the fighting system is way better, the enemy behaviour is way more fair, still really hard even on normal difficulty mind you, but FAIR which the old games never were.

and I also like the humour and characters so far.

it's of course different but different =/= bad

Is it the wrong time to say that Battletoads was never good? Hey, I have some pretty fond nostalgic memories of the first... 2-3 levels? And never being able to beat the racing section!

it was highly overrated and really fucking unfair (there is a difference between hard and unfair and battletoads was straight unfair)

the new one is actually better in every way

Last edited:

thief183

As I said 3 reviewer I trust, ACG ( Karak Karak ), Skillup and worth a buy, I've only seen Acg and I'm gonna try it....I'll tell you more... I'm gonna buy it!

Drewpee

Banned
Honestly who's surprised, it looked like shit from the initial reveal and never looked good.

Also LOL at people bringing up Flight Simulator like it somehow makes up for this game being shit or Microsoft has been swimming in highly rated exclusives this gen.

I think you are taking this thread a little too personal.

I think some might be thinking too much about the old Battletoads when looking at the new one. I'm going to check out the game later today and try not to compare it to the original. The price is perfect.

Carna

Banned
I played around 3-4 segments of the game, I hated every single minute of the writing/story, the gameplay was nothing special when the original battletoads was a innovative type of beat em up. Fuck this game.

VN1X

Banned
This wasn't on my radar at all but then I saw SkillUp's take and made it shoot up on my wishlist.

I'm amazed that there apparently was a backlash over the art style?! I think it looks great but it's especially odd considering Battletoads has always been cartoony/stylized so I'm confused as to why people got soured on THAT aspect of the game. Oh well, looking forward to snapping this up some time in the future for some saturday morning cartoon goodness.

Last edited:

linkroi

I remember an episode on Snes, it was called, Battletoads/double dragon, a mix of both games and it was fun back in the time. I mean, for the Snes, the feedback was good, pretty hard but that was the case for a lot of old games.

I must say... if you compare to Street of Rage 4... i don't know why, it's seems so much... more boring. I don't get why because the two games are kind of similar but... maybe at a very low price with a friend, could worth it ?

Drewpee

Banned
This wasn't on my radar at all but then I saw SkillUp's take and made it shoot up on my wishlist.

I'm amazed that there apparently was a backlash over the art style?! I think it looks great but it's especially odd considering Battletoads has always been cartoony/stylized so I'm confused as to why people got soured on THAT aspect of the game. Oh well, looking forward to snapping this up some time in the future for some saturday morning cartoon goodness.

We don't have those types of 'pinions round here, have you forgotten where you are son?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Man this game is great if I got a complaint it looks like it’s gonna be short, on act 3 of 4 looks like already.

the story is funny if you like Rick and morty style stuff, the graphics have won me over, love the game play and mini games.

Went from thinking it was going to be shit to being one of the most enjoyable games I have played this year.

I remember playing battle toads 20 years ago but remember it as a beat em up clone. What depth of gameplay did they change that made it loose all its identity?

So two player co-op is pretty fun? How hard is the game? I know you said your son played it with you but he could be 18 for all I know.

Couch co-op is super fun, controls are great. But it's hard, like sometimes unforgiving hard. My son is 6 and plays all sorts of games. He is good but I carry the team lol. They have an invincibility mode that I have to turn on for some of the boss fights because it just too impossible with him.

CitizenX

Banned
literally a dozen types of these games with same quality released every month....for the past 10 years. But its a {insert named game} here so IT must be covered. See you maybe in the bargain bin.

Banned
I played around 3-4 segments of the game, I hated every single minute of the writing/story, the gameplay was nothing special when the original battletoads was a innovative type of beat em up. Fuck this game.

"battletoads was a innovative type of beat em up."

first of all, "AN* innovative type of beat em up"
second of all,
are you fucking serious? the original games were run-of-the-mill beat em ups, the only special thing about it was that attacks that gave enemies the final blow had special animations. that's literally all that was special about it other than the more than unfair later levels with really bad platforming.

the new one has a way better fighting system and retains basically all the traits of the old games while improving literally everything about them.

Last edited:

DjMystix

Started it last night. I am kinda enjoying it. The combat feels fairly limited and not as fun as it looks. Especially coming from the excellent Streets of Rage 4. I am liking it but not loving it. Hopefully that will change later.

Top Bottom