• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

Reindeer

Even adding those 4 games still disproves your point.

Also Sea of Thieves at launch vs now.
Killer Instinct at launch vs now.

Very very different games.
On going titles cant sit at the review they got years ago if they are constantly being updated.

But thats neither here no there.
You point is still wrong.

But nice try though.
The highest rated Microsoft games this gen are Flight Simulator and Racing games lol, both are very niche.

Dude, nobody plays Killer Instinct anymore lol, so it's not exactly ongoing game. Nice try though.

lock2k

Banned
I'll just try this game the way I always did: by myself without caring for reviews. I always did the same with music, movies and games. I try, see if I like it, and I give no shits about the average opinion. I'll never know why random strangers opinions are so valid for a lot of folks. That said, I'm probably going to enjoy it bar the newgrounds questionable artstyle.

GloveSlap

That sucks, I was looking for another good beat em up after the stellar Streets of Rage 4. At least I have game pass so I can try it for free.

Stuart360

That sucks, I was looking for another good beat em up after the stellar Streets of Rage 4. At least I have game pass so I can try it for free.
I have zero interest in the game, and wont even try it on Gamepass, BUT if you really did fancy it, give it a try as its currently at a 72, and SR4 got a 84 (i believe), hardly a massive difference between them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure, how much is it priced? If it's $30-40 then I think it looks like fun, like Streets of Rage 4, but both seem indie-ish. Only had fun memories of this game back in the SEGA MegaDrive.

Papacheeks

Banned
I would concur, but even still, a majority are not as the poster claims.
Not sure, how much is it priced? If it's $30-40 then I think it looks like fun, like Streets of Rage 4, but both seem indie-ish. Only had fun memories of this game back in the SEGA MegaDrive.

I think Battletoads is only $19.99, and SOR4 is 24.99. Both also on Gamepass.

Try both.

I liked SOR4 more but thats the sega kid in me.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Why the fuck is it 69 then? I don't know, looks like a good game. Might give it a try on my PC for nostalgia sake. I'll keep an eye for the user score, as some critics can be pretty off compared to user score.

Its not anymore think up to 72 but that wont drawn the right crowd into the thread so can't leave that out of the title.

I'm enjoying it, up there with Streets of Rage 4 if you like them old style games. Might like BT a bit more for the extra mini games.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You conveniently included the higher rated Definitive Edition and left out the original, lol.
You conveniently included the PC version of Super Luckys Tale and left out the Xbox One version, lol.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You conveniently included the higher rated Definitive Edition and left out the original, lol.

Its was "convenient" its what popped up first. Thats like saying you "conveniently" used some of the PC version because they had lower scores vs the xbox and vice versa.

Even still....Your original post of a majority of their games closer to 69 is still wrong.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Its not anymore think up to 72 but that wont drawn the right crowd into the thread so can't leave that out of the title.

I'm enjoying it, up there with Streets of Rage 4 if you like them old style games. Might like BT a bit more for the extra mini games.

Well, honestly I was really enraged by SOR4, I'm an extreme fan of it. But having the same shit 27 years later isn't acceptable for me. I've played it to death on SEGA, but wanted a matured version.

But I can accept that from Battletaods because it's a cartoonish title after all.

Reindeer

Its was "convenient" its what popped up first. Thats like saying you "conveniently" used some of the PC version because they had lower scores vs the xbox and vice versa.

Even still....Your original post of a majority of their games closer to 60s and 70s is still wrong.
I only included PC versions of the game because you did the same for some of the games lol. You made the rules and then complain when somebody else follows the same rules, smh.

Lol, another 69 rated game from Microsoft. How many 69 rated games has Phil approved this gen? Smh, it's basically a meme at this point. The scores for the game do seem to be all over the place though.

This is honestly my worry with gamepass. Rush games out to fill the service.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I only included PC versions of the game because you did the same for some of the games lol. You made the rules and then complain when somebody else follows the same rules, smh.

Nobody made any rules. The hell are you talking about?

Again....

Your Original post of a majority the games being closer to 69 is not true.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The highest rated Microsoft games this gen are Flight Simulator and Racing games lol, both are very niche.

Dude, nobody plays Killer Instinct anymore lol, so it's not exactly ongoing game. Nice try though.

None of what you just typed backs up your claims.

I cant even give you a nice try though, because you arent even trying anymore....youre just typing random shit.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You're crying about me using PC versions of some of the games while you did exactly the same. SMH. Have a bit of self awareness please.

Oh stop. You said something dumb, have been proven to be spreading false information and now are trying to say people are "making rules" and "crying."

Just take the loss and move on.

ksdixon

Jesus. Streets of Rage 4 came out this year as well which looked and played amazingly. How is MS so bad at this!?

Eh... I miss run and roll from 3/Remake too much. Juggling was nice though, if a little confusing.

I'd rather play SOR Remake. Glad I tried on XB GP for "free" rather than purchased it. But still glad it exists for SOR fans in general.

Black_Stride

Have a bit of self awareness please.

How do you NOT see the irony of this, when this is the post that started this chain!

Sure, but most of their games this gen are closer to be in that 69 region than to 80 or 90.

This has already been disproved yet you are still here taking an assfucking for free.
Atleast charge us.

Reindeer

None of what you just typed backs up your claims.

I cant even give you a nice try though, because you arent even trying anymore....youre just typing random shit.
Lol, you still talking
Oh stop. You said something dumb, have been proven to be spreading false information and now are trying to say people are "making rules" and "crying."

Just take the loss and move on.
SMH. You cried about me using PC versions for some of the games while you did exactly the same. Nice attempt at being a hypocrite and then trying to throw baseless accusations to reflect from that.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Lol, you still talking

SMH. You cried about me using PC versions for some of the games while you did exactly the same. Nice attempt at being a hypocrite and then trying to throw baseless accusations to reflect from that.

I cried about nothing. I said your attempt of me trying to use a new edition of a game as a way to prop up the numbers was like you using the pc versions of some games to help your case. Meaning that its a dumb argument that holds no weight. Especially considering your original post is still, once again, not true in any capacity.

But hey keep trying.

Reindeer

"How do you NOT see the irony of this, when this is the post that started this chain!"

This has already been disproved.
At least know the context of what is being discussed before you post ignorantly.

The average rating for Microsoft published games this gen is on low 70s so actually my statement is factually correct. Keep crying though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Well, honestly I was really enraged by SOR4, I'm an extreme fan of it. But having the same shit 27 years later isn't acceptable for me. I've played it to death on SEGA, but wanted a matured version.

But I can accept that from Battletaods because it's a cartoonish title after all.

Yeah this is a throw back game. The humor and stuff in Battletoads is more up to date but game play feels like its from the 90s

Reindeer

I cried about nothing. I said your attempt of me trying to use a new edition of a game as a way to prop up the numbers was like you using the pc versions of some games to help your case. Meaning that its a dumb argument that holds no weight. Especially considering your original post is still, once again, not true in any capacity.

But hey keep trying.
You were still being a stone faced hypocrite trying to blame me for something you did first. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mmnow

Just played the first four levels or so.

It's great fun, it looks awesome and it's challenging even on normal mode. It's tighter than it looked in the trailers too.

Granted, I'm playing co-op and the lack of online doesn't impact me at all. I'd give it an 8, but take off a point if you have nobody to play it with.

Anybody in this thread knocking it without having tried it, or for the sin of being a Microsoft game, get a new hobby.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You were still being a stone faced hypocrite trying to blame me for something you did first. lol.

I didn't blame you for anything. I said that argument would be like me saying you used the PC versions of games to prop up your score. Which I did not do. I specifically said its whatever version popped up first.

Again, it doesn't matter because your original post is still incorrect.

This conversation is over.

The reviews are about what I expected. I still think this is the perfect multiplayer game. I'm starting to dig the cheesy humor. I like they kept hand and feet transformations you see during combos. It reminds me of the original. I wonder if the game has the battering ram attack like in Battletoads and Double Dragon.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My lord five pages of Sony fan clowns telling each other it’s a trash game. Go figure

J3veaNn.png

jaysius

Banned
The 2nd stage really made me want to quit the game forever, an annoying "race towards the screen avoid obstacles" overlong waste of time level.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I really like the way it plays. The boss fights are fun for a brawler. It's nice playing this type of game with an efficient dodge and the ability to truly take on multiple enemies at once if you're fast enough. In short, I think it's a capable beat 'em up. I suppose I'd rate it a 8/10 so far, though I am far from the end.

JTCx

Eh... I miss run and roll from 3/Remake too much. Juggling was nice though, if a little confusing.

I'd rather play SOR Remake. Glad I tried on XB GP for "free" rather than purchased it. But still glad it exists for SOR fans in general.
Running is available on SoR3 characters all their moves are there as well as cherry. SoR4 Adam has access to dash which is infinitely better. SoR4 is a great comeback to the beat em up genre and excels at it.

Reindeer

I didn't blame you for anything. I said that argument would be like me saying you used the PC versions of games to prop up your score. Which I did not do. I specifically said its whatever version popped up first.

Again, it doesn't matter because your original post is still incorrect.

This conversation is over.
So you use an excuse that you used whichever version popped up first but then go and assume that I posted PC versions on purpose and not because they came up first? Lol, you're something else.

And my original point is 100% correct, the average score for Microsoft published games this gen is in low 70s and closer to 69 as I claimed.

Black_Stride

I object to the notion that one has to have an Xbox One to have a stake in this game doing well. Battletoads was (a small) part of my childhood, and I was delighted by the prospect of a comeback.

I'm allowed to be disappointed by the result.

What are you disappointed about exactly?
The review score?
Is 70 considered bad or something.

And what were you expecting?

RavageX

For me, the game is visual trash. I won't subject my eyes to this, as I do not want to go blind.

I said nothing about gameplay, that very will could be fine...but I will never know.

My taste in visuals...id prefer if they had gone the Streets of Rage route. That looks like a faithful, modern take on a classic.

Ninja Gaiden, improved. Crash Bandicoot, improved.

This is more like what happened with the turtles. Outside of the 2000 show (and that one cgi movie) , they been ruined. Movies and games...ruined.

Story telling might be good, but I can't enjoy it because of how TRASH it looks. I just don't want my eyes subjected to BS like this.

Neo Blaster

You guys still dont get it do you? Playing this on PC makes it xbox. Makes the players xbox players. Xbox is more than a box now. The sooner you accept this, the happier your life will become because you know sony won the consolez warzzzz
Ok...then I'd really like to know why Xbox fans get so mad when people say Xbox is no more a console, it's a service now.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yes I am. I grew up on battletoads, I love the franchise, I want it to be what I know it can be, is that so hard to understand?

Geez, you guys need to realize that criticism <> hate.

I will not shower this game with praise, because I don't think it deserves it. I will not ignore this game, because if fans just ignore this game, suits may think that no one cares about this franchise anymore and bury it.
This is not what I want. I want Battletoads to be at the spotlight again, I want the same rush I got when playing the original, or the rare replay collection, I want the excitement of seeing rash kick ass on screen as I felt when playing KI.

Stop trying to brush off criticism as trolling, because you're not doing anyone any service.

i grew up on Battletoads as well and have rare replay also but i feel to proper critique something at least play it so you know the feel of it. Do you have an xbox to play it on? The game is only 19.99 as well

With all these non stop scores from bleeding edge to grounded to this for xbox is it safe to assume xgs is C tier publisher now for xbox ??

As an xbox and xbox 360 fan it hurts to witness this but whatever . I moved on

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
As someone who only had bad memories of OG Battletoads, this feels decent to me. It just feels a bit too safe in the game play department.

Roberts

This is honestly my worry with gamepass. Rush games out to fill the service.

There is nothing rushed about the game. For what it is, it is very, very polished. I haven't seen anything resembling a bug (other than the flies that toads catch). Gameplay is very fluid and has tons of variety, the cutscenes with tons of well written gags and good voiceover work.

Top Bottom