• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III |OT| Three times as awesome

I just prefer more traditional slow starts and humble beginnings, I suppose. Very subjective preferences thing, I know.

That's understandable. I usually prefer the same, tbh.

Call me a fanboy in defense mode, if you want, but this guy reads like someone who was hellbent on shitting on the game from the get go.

Also, Arsetechnica. No thanks.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Hudo

How did you like pathfinder kingmaker?
I honestly didn't play it. I know that it has kingdom management, which is usually something I'd enjoy. I know it's RTwP and there is a turn-based mod but I just never got around trying it out. I know that RPGCodex is jerking that game off like there's no tomorrow and calling it the true successor to Baldur's Gate, so I guess it must have something going for it.

I got burned by the first Pillars of Eternity. It just didn't hook me during the hours I tried it. And the conversations with NPCs were starting to get annoying because they felt like I was reading a wiki. I was willing to give Pillars a shot because I usually like what Obsidian do but this was a miss for me. I also felt that I couldn't "grasp" what's happening during combat at certain times because there was so much visual clutter going on, so I had to pause and read the log. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 didn't have that problem, at least.

I also tried Wasteland 2 and didn't expect much. But that game managed to hook me in and I enjoyed the combat, even though it's more clunky and low-budget than both Pillars and Kingmaker, I would say. So that was a real surprise.

Regarding Pathfinder: I tried so hard to like the game, but it was just suuuuuuper bland. The characters, the art, writing, everything was just really safe and generic. Very derivative, imo.

I think this is a bit harsh. I'm a big Larian fan and am excited for this game but when you call something "Baldur's Gate 3", fans of the Bioware series are in their rights to feel it's too much of a departure.

WOTC clearly know the name alone will bring in a ton of sales so I understand it but fans of the originals shouldn't be so easily dismissed, the concerns are fair.

Good point. BG is a setting (and its own thing). This could have been taken as a reboot.

Not surprised in a way at the reaction here. The normie force is strong in this forum.

Siri

Banned
That Karak is great. He seems to nail it for me most times. I hope he’s doing better after the breakdown.

Fuz

Banned
Dumb post. This has been covered before. Multiple times.

D&D was turned based before it was anything else. You want to pull the "preserve the combat in some way" angle, then they should have "preserved" the turn-based combat in BG1 and 2. Their failure then is being rectified now. Welcome to authenticity. Grab a D20 or get the fuck out.
Dumb post.

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's gate 2 weren't turn based before it was anything else.

Siri

Banned
breakdown?

Didn’t he have a breakdown? I remember watching one of his videos and he said YouTube was fucking him over. He sounded super stressed out. Maybe I got it wrong?

Anyway, he’s great. Worth supporting.

Last edited:

Tallahassee

"While BG3 is a sequel to genre-defining PC RPG classic Baldur’s Gate 2 in name, it is mechanically and tonally a follow-up to developer Larian’s genre-redefining masterpiece Divinity Original Sin 2. "

shocker

Ivory Blood

It's beautiful. Spent half an hour in character creator and not done yet.

BJGBa9m.jpg

Spaceman292

Banned
Holy fucking shit, Steam struggling to work right now that I'm attempting the purchase.
I'm going to throw a fucking hiss fit in minutes if this doesn't work right now.
Just imagining a man hissing at his computer like an upset goose.

BJGBa9m.jpg
Rookie numbers. I've spent two hours just on the origin tab.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Spaceman292

Banned
Pft, get to the back of the line noob.

I've sat here 4 hours just starring at the price tag and trying to do the mental gymnastics to buy a third of a game for £50.
If you buy this expensive third then you get the rest of the game for free. Eventually. Probably.

Last edited:
  • LOL

Guilty_AI

If you buy this expensive third then you get the rest of the game for free. Eventually. Probably.
This early access is more of a beta to find bugs and balance things, Larian definitely has the resources to finish the game. So it never being completed isn't something to worry about.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Dumb post.

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's gate 2 weren't turn based before it was anything else.

8 years before the computer games were even released.

-pic-

Goddamn. They nailed the creator.

yikes, maybe wait?

I find some of his comments pretty indicative that he has never played D&D and is trying to review a D&D game. The action economy criticisms, in particular. The game is mimicking the tabletop system fairly closely in that regard.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

GHG

Out of curiosity is there currently a console release planned?

All they've said so far is that it can't run on current gen consoles and that it's something they are considering for next gen consoles once they are further down the line.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So my BG1 party currently consists of Imoen, Montaron, Xzar (I chose him for his evilness) and Minsc who amused me with the hamster thing. I let go of a couple of guys who seemed like capable fighters but weren't enormously interesting. We'll see if these prove to be wise choices.

Picked up BG3, still downloading but likely will play it after 1 and 2 are done - I've also got Mario 3D Allstars on the go on the Switch so lots of gaming to work on.

EDIT: Just added Dorn to my BG1 party - he seems like he'd be fun at parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity is there currently a console release planned?

Nothing announced, but of course there are plans. Probably won't get an early access release, though, so at least a year out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sobaka770

Banned
yikes, maybe wait?

This guy lost all credibility when he said that he felt that his turn was incomplete because he wasted movement points and at the same time claims to be fan of D&D 5E. Didn't he know that in D&D you always have 20-40 feet of movement that you can use per turn?
There's a lot of subjective stuff in there but this is literally a perfect D&D 5E import and he's complaining? Sounds like a bias to me.

Yeah, no, I played for a few hours and it's pretty good so far. A bit janky but for EA it's in good shape.

wolywood

The gongshow today of trying to download and get this game to work on Steam is better advertising for Stadia than Google has managed to come up with in a year.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
This is one of the games I'm most excited to play but I feel like I'm going to sit on the fence until it's a complete product.

niilokin

I'm very impressed so far with the game! I'm playing on Stadia, was nice to get into the game right away when it released.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Watching a stream.

Yeah, it's Dungeons & Divinity 3.

It will be a fantastic game, no doubt.

But I'm disappointed.

I'll try it when it comes out of early access as I'm a massive fan. I still have the original boxes and manuals (Icewind Dale is my favourite).

However from what I've seen the game may not be what I'm looking for from Baldurs Gate. That's ok too.

A.Romero

Never played the original games and got into the genre with Divinity (which I loved, have yet to play 2). Was planning to jump on this but it's 65 USD here and for Early Access... I think I'll wait until the full release comes out. By the time I'll probably have a better computer too.

I have Kingmaker in my backlog so I might scratch the itch with that in the meantime.

imbrock

Banned
It looks really nice, and damn does it hit me in the nostalgia bone but I will be waiting until it is out of early access. Every time a game I'm excited for gets announced as coming out in early access I die a little inside. Early access is an abomination and a blight on the games industry. Mount and Blade 2 Warband :messenger_beaming: ... early access :messenger_sad_relieved:... Crusader Kings 3 :messenger_savoring:... Early access :messenger_weary:... Baldurs Gate 3 :messenger_smiling_hearts:... Early access :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Looks cool but I'm not paying £50 for a unfinished glorified beta test. Call me when it's finished.

sobaka770

Banned
Regarding that amateur Arstechnica review I was intrigued by his claim that you were forced to kill the villagers by failing a roll on the Illithid mind control. So I went back to the situation as I had a quick-save right before and just as I expected you can actually aim at the Illithid at any point and kill it thus breaking the mind control and freeing the villagers. I know it's a minor point but it's exactly the kind of gameplay Larian is known for and the fact that the reviewer didn't think of it is a reflection of how different each experience will be.

That being said I think I don't want to play anymore in EA. I expect a number of polishes here and there, some rebalancing and I like my experience to be as good as it possibly can. the cutscene jankiness is not what I want from my first playthrough. I can see that this game has a huge potential as the core systems look great already. Replay of D:OS2 to get some of that Larian goodness for me it seems!

ZZZZ

I love the character creation, they just need more face options, i'm hopeful they will add sliders.

Top Bottom