• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III |OT| Three times as awesome

Tschumi

D&D was turned based before it was anything else.
Couldn't give less of a crap about you calling my post dumb :) i said in that post that i was repeating stuff I'd already covered. I guess you skimmed my post pretty comprehensively too because i also addressed this stuff about og BG not being turn based.

You also skipped that i wasn't here to start fights. So you could have let my post go. Fin~

ZZZZ

I think this is a bit harsh. I'm a big Larian fan and am excited for this game but when you call something "Baldur's Gate 3", fans of the Bioware series are in their rights to feel it's too much of a departure.

WOTC clearly know the name alone will bring in a ton of sales so I understand it but fans of the originals shouldn't be so easily dismissed, the concerns are fair.
I'll be surprised if 20% of the player base in BG3 will have played BG 2 back when it launched, so no they shouldn't cater to them, they should do what they think is best for the game.

GymWolf

It's not really a matter of "bugs". The game literally added content, revamped questlines, rebalanced encounters. improved visual effects and changed some of its mechanics during the period in Early Access.

I'd expect BG3 to go through a similar process... Except with the game mechanics where they will have far less room to change things, being tied to the D&D license.
Yeah that's on of my fears too, fuck, so undecited but october is really a shitty month for me in term of releases, bg3 is almost literally the only interesting game.

Gandih42

Beyond excited for this game. Might be the one to make me cave and get a gaming capable PC when it releases in full.

I bounced off D:OS when I first tried it but on my second attempt got completely engrossed. Have yet to enjoy D:OS2 as my current PC is a piece of trash and I'm uncertain how the experience is on consoles. Big fan of Larians gameplay so I'm excited that this follows the same formula - looked excellent from the first walkthrough I saw. Also, jesus, those character models look good up close for this type of game.

Perhaps I will finally get my ass through BG2 (and maaaybe 1?) in the time up until this comes out for real.

Sentenza

I think this is a bit harsh. I'm a big Larian fan and am excited for this game but when you call something "Baldur's Gate 3", fans of the Bioware series are in their rights to feel it's too much of a departure.

WOTC clearly know the name alone will bring in a ton of sales so I understand it but fans of the originals shouldn't be so easily dismissed, the concerns are fair.

What I don't like much about this line of arguing is the subtle implication that I shouldn't be counted among the "true Baldur's Gate fans" if I'm perfectly fine with some of the changes being made here.
It's also a bit amusing in hindsight remembering how when the first one launched its (then) peculiar brand of "real time with pause" combat was considered a let down for many purists, old school RPG players and D&D lovers.
And when Temple of Elemental Evil launched few years later, even with all its technical issues and shortcomings in other areas, there were a lot of comments among the lines of "If only the big games like Baldur's Gate etc could use this excellent combat system".

Combat aside what else are they changing? Oh, right. They are making the scenery way more interactive, verticality matter a lot more and the production value exponentially higher.
What a kick in the face for true fans, indeed.

Last edited:

Esteldan

What I don't like much about this line of arguing is the subtle implication that I shouldn't be counted among the "true Baldur's Gate fans" if I'm perfectly fine with some of the changes being made here.
It's also a bit amusing in hindsight remembering how when the first one launched its (then) peculiar brand of "real time with pause" combat was considered a let down for many purists, old school RPG players and D&D lovers.
And when Temple of Elemental Evil launched few years later, even with all its technical issues and shortcomings in other areas, there were a lot of comments among the lines of "If only the big games like Baldur's Gate etc could use this excellent combat system".

Combat aside what else are they changing? Oh, right. They are making the scenery way more interactive, verticality matter a lot more and the production value exponentially higher.
What a kick in the face for true fans, indeed.

No one implied that. Like I said I love the original games but I also love Larian so I don't mind them making changes that better suit their style. Like other people implied I DO think turn based combat better suits Dungeons and Dragons but whether it suits the Baldur's Gate video game series is a different question. I'd wager there's a ton of people who loved Baldur's Gate who have little to interest in Dungeons and Dragons as a table top game.

Production values are great but IMO Larian have yet to prove themselves in the story/character department. DOS2 was a step in the right direction but still quite far away from the quality of BG2's world, characters and questing.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt they they can pull it off but they're under a lot of pressure using the BG3 name and if it feels inferior to BG2 which is a HUGE title to try and match, that criticism shouldn't be so simply dismissed.

Esteldan

I'll be surprised if 20% of the player base in BG3 will have played BG 2 back when it launched, so no they shouldn't cater to them, they should do what they think is best for the game.

Possibly, but also think it's unfair to say that 20% doesn't matter given they've named it like this to get that crowd spending money.

I do think there's a lot of people who love Larian games, don't give a stuff about Baldur's Gate as a series and dismiss any critisism of this new one because they have zero investment or care for the originals. Those people just want a good Larian game which I understand but I don't think either side of that argument should be considered wrong.

John2290

And Larian is bringing so many more than a fee thousand purists who'll be pissed off. Maybe even millions more depending on the overlap. Both camps seem pretty content with Larian working on this game and not chnaging their formula all too much apart from a tiny fraction of purists.

Hudo

Personally, I am quite happy that the game is turn-based. I always felt that RTwP is a system of horrible compromises and a vicitim of what was popular back then (real-time strategy). Bioware managed to make good games in spite of the combat system, not because of it, IMHO. I have yet to see a RTwP-RPG that either isn't overloaded with micro-management decisions (which turn-based is more suited towards) or macro-decisions (which "flow" better with an action system). But that's just my opinion.

Sentenza

Personally, I am quite happy that the game is turn-based. I always felt that RTwP is a system of horrible compromises and a vicitim of what was popular back then (real-time strategy). Bioware managed to make good games in spite of the combat system, not because of it, IMHO.
My feeling exactly.

Mildudon

Dumb post. This has been covered before. Multiple times.

D&D was turned based before it was anything else. You want to pull the "preserve the combat in some way" angle, then they should have "preserved" the turn-based combat in BG1 and 2. Their failure then is being rectified now. Welcome to authenticity. Grab a D20 or get the fuck out.

You sound like a very toxic DnD player/DM.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I don't think those fans are in the right here. Baldur's Gate isn't some free floating IP. It's a D&D game. It's always been a D&D game. D&D came first, and Baldur's Gate is far more than just a couple of video games. Those games you think are so important are a drop in the ocean that is the D&D franchise, lore and product line. If they are your only contact with the Sword Coast then I'm sorry, but it's like complaining about the LOTR franchise when your only contact has been a promotional mobile game and none of the books or movies. You've touched on a fraction of what's out there.

So It's not a departure. It's sticking to the source material.

You also skipped that i wasn't here to start fights. So you could have let my post go. Fin~

You're right. I could have, but I didn't want to.

You sound like a very toxic DnD player/DM.

I'm sure you'll get over it. Somehow.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I quite liked turn based combat. I dont remember enjoying combat in a rpg as much as i did in dos2, so much in fact that me and my friends eventually became murderhobos.
Turn based is the only way these types of games should be played. There's a reason PoE2 and Pathfinder both patched in a TB mode. Real time just doesn't work.

royox

Never played a Baldur's but loved Kotor1-2, Dragon age Origins and Tyranny and was somehow impressed by Pilars of Eternity (althought the story was meh).

You think I will like this? Do I have to play BG 1 and 2 first?

Esteldan

Yeah, maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I don't think those fans are in the right here. Baldur's Gate isn't some free floating IP. It's a D&D game. It's always been a D&D game. D&D came first, and Baldur's Gate is far more than just a couple of video games. Those games you think are so important are a drop in the ocean that is the D&D franchise, lore and product line. If they are your only contact with the Sword Coast then I'm sorry, but it's like complaining about the LOTR franchise when your only contact has been a promotional mobile game and none of the books or movies. You've touched on a fraction of what's out there.

I can't agree with this. If Baldur's Gate is such a drop in the ocean then why have WOTC been so hesitant with giving out the licence after all the years? Could it be because since Baldur's Gate there's barely been any good DnD video games and they wanted to protect their only hot property's reputation?

Unless I'm forgetting something Baldur's Gate is comfortably the most respected video game property Dungeon's and Dragon's and this release is a bigger deal for more people then you think.

Last edited:

McCheese

I've never played a BG game, should I get this or get the originals first?

I think the closest I've ever come to a D&D ruleset game is KOTOR back in the day, and that hid most of the dice stuff under the hood.

Lanrutcon

Never played a Baldur's but loved Kotor1-2, Dragon age Origins and Tyranny and was somehow impressed by Pilars of Eternity (althought the story was meh).

You think I will like this? Do I have to play BG 1 and 2 first?

Yeah, this'll be something to try out for you. You don't have to have played the first games: this is the start of a new arc, not the continuation of the old. You should try the originals. It takes a bit to get used to the interface/graphics, but after a few hours that stuff doesn't matter anymore because the game grabs you by the balls.

I can't agree with this. If Baldur's Gate is such a drop in the ocean then why have WOTC been so hesitant with giving out the licence after all the years? Could it be because since Baldur's Gate there's barely been any good DnD video games and they wanted to protect their only hot property's reputation?

I don't see how trying not to get another bad licensed game released has anything to do with BG's importance. They had ample opportunity to have BG3 made during 3rd (1/2) ed. The studios were out there creating some of the biggest and most well loved RPGs to date during that time. The talent would not have said no.

So why now? 5th edition, baby. The most successful tabletop RPG in history. The game tie-in practically sells itself. What's this? We can slap the BG name on it for even more sales? Well let's do that then. There's even this Larian studio who've been chasing the license for years and make the best turn based RPGs. Hey everyone, have D&D 5th Edition Presents: Baldur's Gate 3. Oh, we'll include some Critical Roll characters and make so much money. So much. Thanks, 5th Edition, for being the catalyst. The turn-based catalyst. *drums*

Unless I'm forgetting something Baldur's Gate is comfortably the most respected video game property Dungeon's and Dragon's and this release is a bigger deal for more people then you think.

You just called it "the only hot property", so uh...that bar isn't exactly high? Oh, and Neverwinter Nights sits at the top of the D&D video game food chain (commercially), not BG.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I just beat DOS2 last night so I’ll probably like this game? I need something to play to kill time between now and Cyberpunk.

TheMan

Someone already mentioned this I think, but it's very refreshing to see a western RPG with good looking characters without having to resort to a bunch of mods that are cumbersome to install.

Guilty_AI

I just beat DOS2 last night so I’ll probably like this game? I need something to play to kill time between now and Cyberpunk.
This is quite the huge game, and it'll be early access so i don't think its a good idea.

You could try the Shadowrun series which also happen to be cyberpunk, so it could help you get pumped up. The whole series is currently on sale on GOG:

ebevan91

This is quite the huge game, and it'll be early access so i don't think its a good idea.

You could try the Shadowrun series which also happen to be cyberpunk, so it could help you get pumped up. The whole series is currently on sale on GOG:

I think you're right. At least for now. And actually, I think what I will do instead is start going through my backlog. I have some games where I'm like 50-75% of the way done and just need to finish them. Buying BG3 would just add another game to it that I might not ever finish.

Maybe I'll watch someone play the EA on Youtube so I can start learning the game and by the time I'm ready to play it, I'll be somewhat familiar with it.

Last edited:
I honestly never thought we'd see another BG game, so you'd think the final few hours of waiting would be a breeze, but it's excruciating. Lol

Hudo

Man, I gotta say that 60€ for early access is quite steep... Not that this pricing is anything we haven't seen before but...you know... I will definitely play the game. The question for me was whether I'd wait or not.

EDIT: Is it known whether there will be a physical edition of the game?

Last edited:

Irobot82

Holy fucking shit, Steam struggling to work right now that I'm attempting the purchase.
I'm going to throw a fucking hiss fit in minutes if this doesn't work right now.
I came to post the same thing. Hot damn give me that payment confirmation.

Guilty_AI

Man, I gotta say that 60€ for early access is quite steep... Not that this pricing is anything we haven't seen before but...you know... I will definitely play the game. The question for me was whether I'd wait or not.
Might just wait if you're not into EA.

Holy fucking shit, Steam struggling to work right now that I'm attempting the purchase.
I'm going to throw a fucking hiss fit in minutes if this doesn't work right now.
I can guess a few reasons

TheMan

How far away is the final product? A year? Two?

I don't want to play the beta or anything and ruin anything. Long wait.

Yeah the final product is quite a ways away and will include a lot more content. Right now we got 25 hours or so but I''m not sure if that includes an ending or if the story just gets fleshed with side content or what.

Hudo

Yeah the final product is quite a ways away and will include a lot more content. Right now we got 25 hours or so but I''m not sure if that includes an ending or if the story just gets fleshed with side content or what.
I would be quite interested to know this as well.

Personally, I am quite happy that the game is turn-based. I always felt that RTwP is a system of horrible compromises and a vicitim of what was popular back then (real-time strategy). Bioware managed to make good games in spite of the combat system, not because of it, IMHO. I have yet to see a RTwP-RPG that either isn't overloaded with micro-management decisions (which turn-based is more suited towards) or macro-decisions (which "flow" better with an action system). But that's just my opinion.
How did you like pathfinder kingmaker?

TheMan

Man I don't know why but I'm hesitating to push that buy button. Something about having to replay a story-based game when it's finally available in full and I rarely actually replay rpgs

Sentenza

Watching the Fextralife streaming while downloading and it looks fucking gorgeous at times. Surpassing my expectations on the production value.

Top Bottom