• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III |OT| Three times as awesome

John2290

Any estimated release date for the finished game? I guess late 2022 the least.
I played DOS1 for around 25 hours until we got bored, and haven't touched DOS2. Do you guys think it's worth to just wait to play BG3 and skip DOS2?
No. You restart DOS 1 now or play DOS 2 and stick them through, you degenerate and then in two years or so you'll play BG3 and love it like the rest of us. Man, it's people like you who haven't played DOS 1 or 2 that is all that is wrong with this world. Jesus, get your life together.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Back then I could not play BG1 and BG2 due to insufficient hardware requirements. Hope they will not increase in the final version

GHG

Apparently the present build is 80 gigabytes.

Also, I‘m surprised that this game isn’t generating much more of a buzz. A generational thing, maybe?

It's GAF. Most people here prefer consoles and prefer derivative handholdy AAA games.

Just look at the amount of slander in this thread alone FFS.

(I'm not fond of spending 100h waiting turns and reading text)

I know the concept might seem crazy, but maybe these types of games aren't what you are looking for then.

They are slower paced, turn based, dialogue heavy and over 100 hours long...

No. You restart DOS 1 now or play DOS 2 and stick them through, you degenerate and then in two years or so you'll play BG3 and love it like the rest of us. Man, it's people like you who haven't played DOS 1 or 2 that is all that is wrong with this world. Jesus, get your life together.
Jesus mr old school rpg man, I still prefer ego draconis. Not all of us have the will to be playing a game for 2 months because there are tons of turns, text and decisions

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I think I’m finally getting my head around BG1 - realised I had left 2 of my party somewhere and had to retrieve them, and that I had members with no weapons so I sorted that out sharpish. Now a reasonably well armed and armoured party of 6 is able to deal with the regular bestiary. I suspect I’ll still be found wanting when I encounter stronger enemies.
Currently I suspect my approach to combat might be wrong - I’m keeping my archer distant but haven’t figured out how to work the wizard yet while everyone else just wades into the fight.
Just made it to Nashkel so we’ll see what adventures await me.

Last edited by a moderator:

John2290

Jesus mr old school rpg man, I still prefer ego draconis. Not all of us have the will to be playing a game for 2 months because there are tons of turns, text and decisions
You could play it an hour a day for 90 days or two hours a day for 45 days. Hell, you could but it on story mode, God mode your way through combat and knock it out of the way in two weekends but if you're so adverse to making a few decisions and ya know... reading. maybe the game isn't for you.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, a bit shocked at the reception the thread had, to be honest. I guess we enthusiasts are a minority, huh

XZlo4lj.gif

Alebrije

Have a look at how much these types of games sell on console and then you'll hand your answer.

Besides, if you're stuck on console and into these types of games you should still be occupied by pathfinder kingmaker.

Will ckeck it ..Hope they release BG to consoles , maybe they do not sell like AAA but have a market there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I consider Shadows of Amn one of the best games of all time but I haven’t researched jack shit for this game. Is it good?

John2290

Will ckeck it ..Hope they release BG to consoles , maybe they do not sell like AAA but have a market there.
Not that I'd try to get in the way of someone and a game they want to play but in the hopes of saving you some money, spend an hour or two researching Pathfinder: Kingmaker before you buy it. It's not DOS and it's not Baldurs gate either. It's fantasy D&D, yeah but it's more like Wasteland 2 or 3 as a game with the choice of pause combat. It's also had two sales at half price (at least in Europe) on the ps4 since it released so waiting til the next sale is the least you could do if you don't mind taking the chance on it. I'm not saying it's bad, it's not but it's not what you'll expect from the marketing pitch but that said, it's not great either.

RedVIper

Banned
80 gb seems a bit...much?

I'm playing it regardless, but the Divinity OS 2 was like 30GB. Is this game really that big?

John2290

80 gb seems a bit...much?

I'm playing it regardless, but the Divinity OS 2 was like 30GB. Is this game really that big?
DOS 1 was 10 gig, DOS 2 was 30 gig and with the level of graphical improvement here and texture quality with the zooming. 80 gigs seems about right. I mean have you seen this game when the camera gets up close, it's a huge improvement over DOS 2, it's worth the gigs and I'm sure those 4k CGI cutscenes don't come cheap either.

Flyinmunky

Decided to try go a build id normally not try.

Going Female Half-Drow Warlock, The Fiend Patron, going to play in a Chaotic Evil sort of way, focus on intimidation.

Dont know too much about Warlocks or D&D 5e but eldritch blast lasers and Hex sound fun

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Almost too good for your lazy ass, I'd say.
I work 68 hour weeks
I’m moving to a new city and buying a house
I’m getting married

All in 2020, and let’s be real, this isn’t the year you’d normally want to do any of these things

Lanrutcon

you can do that on insane? congrats

Well, yeah. It's 5th Edition. Spellcasters are garbo damage and certain melee classes are self-sustaining murder machines. Shit, if you can get away with it in Pathfinder then everything is fair game.

RedVIper

Banned
DOS 1 was 10 gig, DOS 2 was 30 gig and with the level of graphical improvement here and texture quality with the zooming. 80 gigs seems about right. I mean have you seen this game when the camera gets up close, it's a huge improvement over DOS 2, it's worth the gigs and I'm sure those 4k CGI cutscenes don't come cheap either.

Yes DOS 2 was pretty big too. It's just weird to me that huge open world games are smaller than this.

It can't really be the textures. DOS2 used like 1.5GB of Vram

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I think I’m finally getting my head around BG1 - realised I had left 2 of my party somewhere and had to retrieve them, and that I had members with no weapons so I sorted that out sharpish. Now a reasonably well armed and armoured party of 6 is able to deal with the regular bestiary. I suspect I’ll still be found wanting when I encounter stronger enemies.
Currently I suspect my approach to combat might be wrong - I’m keeping my archer distant but haven’t figured out how to work the wizard yet while everyone else just wades into the fight.
Just made it to Nashkel so we’ll see what adventures await me.

May want to get a few points into Find Traps on Imoen.

John2290

Yes DOS 2 was pretty big too. It's just weird to me that huge open world games are smaller than this.

It can't really be the textures. DOS2 used like 1.5GB of Vram
Hmm, I wonder how big the 4k video file for the opening is alone and how many of these files that'll be in there. DoS 2 had that hand art in cutscenes between acts so I wonder if this will have uncompressed 4k cgi scenes. The EA is only act 1 anyway so I'm assuming that that 80 gig is estimated with room to breath for 1.0 or perhaps a load of fat that will get trimmed down? Idk. At any rate 80 gig isn't all that bad when 15 hour FPS's like doom were 65 gig at the start of this gen on ps4. I was half expecting all games to be COD MW size by now.

RedVIper

Banned
I wonder if this will have uncompressed 4k cgi scenes.

I hope not lol. I could maybe see using lossless compression. But using uncompressed footage is just stupid.

There's no good reason to use uncompressed footage. Or uncompressed textures for that matter.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Any idea what time this becomes available?
I'm hearing conflicting reports.
Speaking about my timezone (CET +1) some people are saying tomorrow at noon, others claiming it will be by 19:00 (7 pm).
I'd like to know since I'll have to put this to download to have it ready for the evening.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Speaking about my timezone (CET +1) some people are saying tomorrow at noon, others claiming it will be by 19:00 (7 pm).
I'd like to know since I'll have to put this to download to have it ready for the evening.

Ah ok I'll check back tomorrow PM then.

It's a shame we can't pre-load anything because it will be a sizable download.

SyberWolf

6PM UK, 7PM europe

Last edited:

GymWolf

I didn't played divinity 2 during the early access period, was that one full of bugs or it was already pretty polished??

Sentenza

I didn't played divinity 2 during the early access period, was that one full of bugs or it was already pretty polished??
It's not really a matter of "bugs". The game literally added content, revamped questlines, rebalanced encounters. improved visual effects and changed some of its mechanics during the period in Early Access.

I'd expect BG3 to go through a similar process... Except with the game mechanics where they will have far less room to change things, being tied to the D&D license.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I remember there was a user here that insisted on saying that the models in BG3 were no better looking than the ones on Mass Effect on ps3.
There was also people ready to swear you could hardly tell Original Sin and Baldur's Gate 3 apart.

For context:

eocapp_2017-06-26_11-43-42-444_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

Last edited:

4EZCOOLDART

Beyond excited for this. I have a crew of myself and 3 friends that are going to coop the early access. Probably with different character classes than we plan to play in the full release. Divinity 1 and 2 coop was a next level experience. Other than the Tales games there are just so few story-based coop rpgs.

Tschumi

I'm not coming here to start fights, I'm just going to say one more time, on this OT, that I really think they have stunk up a great series with their turn based combat, and i for one won't be buying this. Not because i don't like Divinity - i do - but because I love the BG games. Warts and all. I'm sure this will be great in its own right, but i can't support such a cavalier attitude to the earlier titles. Pillars of Eternity 2 was patched to include turn based combat as an option. I don't know why this at least couldn't be done for BG3. I think they should have been obligated to preserve the combat in some way when they bought the license.

Ps. BG combat was turn based, like the tabletop game, they just automated it. So making it expressly, rigidly turn based is not simply a hearkening back to the tabletop. It's just Larian not wanting to do anything but their usual gameplay. You can say BG combat was buggy, and I'll agree, but that doesn't mean Larian couldn't have just enhanced their reputation by ironing out those kinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanrutcon

I'm not coming here to start fights, I'm just going to say one more time, on this OT, that I really think they have stunk up a great series with their turn based combat, and i for one won't be buying this. Not because i don't like Divinity - i do - but because I love the BG games. Warts and all. I'm sure this will be great in its own right, but i can't support such a cavalier attitude to the earlier titles. Pillars of Eternity 2 was patched to include turn based combat as an option. I don't know why this at least couldn't be done for BG3. I think they should have been obligated to preserve the combat in some way when they bought the license.

Ps. BG combat was turn based, like the tabletop game, they just automated it. So making it expressly, rigidly turn based is not simply a hearkening back to the tabletop. It's just Larian not wanting to do anything but their usual gameplay. You can say BG combat was buggy, and I'll agree, but that doesn't mean Larian couldn't have just enhanced their reputation by ironing out those kinks.

Dumb post. This has been covered before. Multiple times.

D&D was turned based before it was anything else. You want to pull the "preserve the combat in some way" angle, then they should have "preserved" the turn-based combat in BG1 and 2. Their failure then is being rectified now. Welcome to authenticity. Grab a D20 or get the fuck out.

Last edited:

Esteldan

Wish we could pre-load this but can't wait to dive in tomorrow.

A bit sad that so many people see games like this as "outdated" when most newer RPGs are quite literally just action games with a few RPG systems thrown on top.

Text, reading and choices are why these games often have such great and memorable quests because it makes almost anything possible, most modern games are hamstrung around having to present everything graphically which is why a game like Witcher 3 has pretty repetitive gameplay.

Esteldan

Dumb post. This has been covered before. Multiple times.

D&D was turned based before it was anything else. You want to pull the "preserve the combat in some way" angle, then they should have "preserved" the turn-based combat in BG1 and 2. Their failure then is being rectified now. Welcome to authenticity. Grab a D20 or get the fuck out.

I think this is a bit harsh. I'm a big Larian fan and am excited for this game but when you call something "Baldur's Gate 3", fans of the Bioware series are in their rights to feel it's too much of a departure.

WOTC clearly know the name alone will bring in a ton of sales so I understand it but fans of the originals shouldn't be so easily dismissed, the concerns are fair.

Top Bottom