• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III |OT| Three times as awesome

Irobot82

There'll definitely be mods doing just that, I remember DOS2 also had one
I feel like this discourages the use of a Warlock over the Wizard, or a Bard over the Wizard.

It discourages the Barbarian over a FIghter (maybe). Paladin is a fine fighter replacement.

Why pick Ranger over Rogue when the Rogues sneak attack gets out of control and can use a small hand crossbow and take the feat.

Lanrutcon

I feel like this discourages the use of a Warlock over the Wizard, or a Bard over the Wizard.

It discourages the Barbarian over a FIghter (maybe). Paladin is a fine fighter replacement.

Why pick Ranger over Rogue when the Rogues sneak attack gets out of control and can use a small hand crossbow and take the feat.

Well, speaking from the 5e perspective:
  1. Warlocks are blasters with utility. They're ranged DPS, closer to a Ranger than a Wizard.
  2. Bards are skill monkeys with a pretty powerful spell list. They're better party synergy than a Wizard in 99% of cases. Lore Bards are crazy.
  3. Barbarians are better than Fighters at low levels, which make up most of BG3. Better at tanking, better at damage.
  4. Sneak attack in 5E is incredibly limited and scales poorly: Rogues in 5E are not known for their damage. Anyone can perform traditional Rogue roles in 5E.
BG2 was build in 2e, and almost everything has changes since then.

People with the game: how are feats implemented? specifically, Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master and Lucky.

Irobot82

I'm only level 2 so I haven't acquired a feat yet. I want my fighter to take GWM so I'll let you know when I do.
She did take Great Weapon Fighting and the dialog said it lets her reroll 1's and 2'.

Last edited:

Madflavor

After reading a few different forums the complaining towards this game mostly boils down to two things:

1. It feels more Divinity than BG.

2. It's buggy.

Obviously it's going to be buggy, because it's early access so that pretty much means nothing. As for the first point, I can understand some disappointment but Divinity OS is pretty fucking great so.....there are much worse things I guess? I mean as long as we get a great tabletop style wrpg who gives a flying fuck that it doesn't feel like a game made 20 years ago?

Bkdk

Larian still does not get character creation right, the skyrim mod enhanced character edit has been out for years and all these developers have to do is to copy the exact same UI and sliders. Also during character design most of the sliders are already there in the game ending, it would be so much easier to just include many of the sliders than to remove them. Beyond ridicolous that so many Western RPG developers still get character appearance UI so wrong after years of modders got it right. Even some cheap budget Asian MMOs get this right than Larian and many AAA western devs, what the hell is wrong with them?

TheMan

Oh shit that looks pretty good. Almost want to get it just for the character creator.

As far as I can tell it's not super advanced. You can choose between preset faces and alter certain characteristics like preset hairstyles, tattoos, makeup, skin color. You can't do any fine tuning much of anything like facial features, body features (no hitomi tanakas), or hairstyles. I'd say it's decent but we've definitely seen better.

Last edited:

Sentenza

As far as I can tell it's not super advanced. You can choose between preset faces and alter certain characteristics like preset hairstyles, tattoos, makeup, skin color. You can't do any fine tuning much of anything like facial features, body features (no hitomi tanakas), or hairstyles. I'd say it's decent but we've definitely seen better.
Yeah, in terms of complexity is nothing to write home about. What's somewhat unusual about it is that basically all combinations you can come up with look good.

Also, I'm fairly sure we'll see few more faces and customizable secondary traits over time.

Last edited:

decisions

Has anyone figured out what MacBook Pros can play this? Anyone try it on an MBP 2018? (Radeon Pro 555X)

It seems to benchmark just under the minimum according to a quick Google search, and I supposed I could just refund it if it didn't work, but...if I can get 30fps I'll probably try it out.

TheMan

You know what the camera is annoying me. Battlefields can be relatively large and its annoying to have to manually control the camera. Plus, I want to able to move the cursor to the screen to pan, but even with the option checked it still gets stuck.

kind of a minor thing but I submitted a report about the panning thing

Siri

Banned
I played for literally no more than ten minutes and the game crashed, which is something I’m not used to seeing. Has this been a major issue?

You know what the camera is annoying me. Battlefields can be relatively large and its annoying to have to manually control the camera. Plus, I want to able to move the cursor to the screen to pan, but even with the option checked it still gets stuck.

kind of a minor thing but I submitted a report about the panning thing

How to report? Is there like a quick f# for it?
Hades had an instant screenshot and report button while they were in EA

DJT123

You guys made me start another run of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. My Aldori defender will be ambitious lawful evil. I edited her stats to make her a beast with 22 Dexterity and 19 Strength.

GxHwXfi.png

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

How's performance? Anybody with a mid range pc? (say, a 1060/580)

I have a new PC, basically a 2080 graphics card with a decent AMD CPU, and the framerate is juggling between 40-45 fps.

The graphics look jaggy, blurry and make me feel as if I'm playing on 1080p on my 4K TV. Even the UI and the 2D buttons and menus look lower-res. Not really sure if it because of my PC or because of lack of tuning by Larian (probably the latter).
I played for literally no more than ten minutes and the game crashed, which is something I’m not used to seeing. Has this been a major issue?
We were warned the game would be unstable. This isn't a chapter 1 kind of thing. This is literally a game in the making, during development, with Larian giving us the option to pre-pay in order to become beta-testers and give opinion and feedback.

That said, no, I haven't yet experienced any game crashing bugs.

Siri

Banned
We were warned the game would be unstable. This isn't a chapter 1 kind of thing. This is literally a game in the making, during development, with Larian giving us the option to pre-pay in order to become beta-testers and give opinion and feedback.

I realize that. I was just wondering if crashing has been a problem because, for me, it occurred so quickly.

niilokin

I was planning to be a total meathead bloodletting greatsword maniac like my BG1&2 playthroughs but here fights with more enemies feel like a total drag. One swing (unless you count action surge once per rest), shit damage, 60-80% hit chances (lower if light is dim). Then add shit ton of archer type enemies crawling and climbing around, fucking hell.

Might start a new playthrough and dump everything into STR and CON and just Attack everything.

Last edited:

Vaelka

A western game with attractive character design options in 2020?!

wHhe6wL.png

Finished the first area and reached level 2. Nice graphics, combat feels good, lots of skill checks and dungeon master narration. Thumbs up.

Is that actual gear in-game?
I don't believe it lol.

All of the gear I've seen has just been male gear slapped on female characters.
I am getting so tired of it in Western games, you have so much fashion for women to draw from but all they do all the time is just take male clothing and make the female characters wear it.

Guilty_AI

I am getting so tired of it in Western games, you have so much fashion for women to draw from but all they do all the time is just take male clothing and make the female characters wear it.
I remember in DOS2 the gear appearence changed to fit the character's gender and species. I don't know if its like this on this one but i wouldn't see why not

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

ZZZZ

Is that actual gear in-game?
I don't believe it lol.

Maybe it's because it's EA? Have you played D:OS 2? There's some sexy female armor in there.

Last edited:

"In the real world, women don't wear chainmail bikinis and boobplate, you know? You pig."

Edit: Also, no crashes here - game looks and runs pretty great. Especially loving the high quality textures. It's not the best, but it sure is better than a lot of what we get these days.

Last edited:

Vaelka

"In the real world, women don't wear chainmail bikinis and boobplate, you know? You pig."

Edit: Also, no crashes here - game looks and runs pretty great. Especially loving the high quality textures. It's not the best, but it sure is better than a lot of what we get these days.

In the real world women also don't fight dragons and people didn't wear armor with weird spikes all over it or run around with no helmet and an unarmored arm for no reason or wear makeup.

I never said anything about chainmail bikinis either.

In the real world women also don't fight dragons and people didn't wear armor with weird spikes all over it or run around with no helmet and an unarmored arm for no reason or wear makeup.

I never said anything about chainmail bikinis either.

You must not have noticed my quotes. I was being tongue-in-cheek and parroting what people usually say about the subject.

After reading a few different forums the complaining towards this game mostly boils down to two things:

1. It feels more Divinity than BG.

2. It's buggy.

Obviously it's going to be buggy, because it's early access so that pretty much means nothing. As for the first point, I can understand some disappointment but Divinity OS is pretty fucking great so.....there are much worse things I guess? I mean as long as we get a great tabletop style wrpg who gives a flying fuck that it doesn't feel like a game made 20 years ago?
I'm not a game mechanics guy so I don't care that it's turn based, but switching from the old dark fantasy/steampunkish setting to this super bright and colourful one is a bit jarring.

Irobot82

Is there a way to access spells to cast them that isn't the clogged up hotkey bar? Like a fucking spellbook?

Nimarus

Neo Member
Seeing as Baldur's Gate is part of the Dungeons and Dragons stuff, does anyone know if they will be implementing some of the new... "changes" I've heard about? Things like removing negative racial stats to promote "Racial equality?"

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I think this reviewer has some useful insights. He work on the original Baldur's Gate. It's a lengthy read, but may help if you are on the fence about early access.

By Steam user: Zakuen

Full disclosure, I worked on the original Baldur's Gate series as a designer with a focus on scripting. I also was hands on with a bunch of areas (putting quests into play, setting up 'cinematics', creating items and monsters and so on). I'm honestly not sure how to approach reviewing Baldur's Gate 3 in early access. I've worked on many games over the years and been in many early access and beta tests. So I'll do my best to approach it with this mindset, but I feel like I've been in enough early access or betas to realize how some things probably won't change too much from how they are now. But as someone who worked on the originals, I felt the need to comment I suppose.

Who Am I: A scriptor and designer that worked on Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast through Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal, also spending some time with Neverwinter Nights.
(Designer Mindset): I'm going to list my opinion from a designer standpoint instead of a gamer afterwards essentially. If you announce something as Baldur's Gate 3, I have certain expectations, I'm sorry. Otherwise, Baldur's Gate: Illithid Invasions or Whatever Name would have been preferred, or even their own Forgotten Realms IP. But the choice to include 3 means something to me so I'll be treating it as such.

Initial Impressions: It feels like an updated new Divinity Game, but using the ruleset of D&D 5E. It's not a BAD thing, but it doesn't feel very 'Baldur's Gate' like to me. Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity feel more similar to what I'd expect from gameplay, or at least more of a mix somewhere in between would have been welcome.
(Designer Mindset): I feel like some of the big keys to Baldur's Gate were unspoken but always there, including trying to include a great story, memorable characters and quests, many choices in how you portray your character and approach things, and a mix of real-time D&D combat. So far the lack of a real-time combat component personally has me thrown off the most from feeling like this is supposed to be a sequel of any kind.

Character Creation: Early access allows 6 classes so far, out of potentially 12? With the lower levels of D&D it feels like many skills aren't available yet, and most of the lower level skills are a bit more simple. So it has me wondering if the hold up on including more classes is on purpose, or is something else going on? I love the options from backgrounds to classes and races, as it's clear at the end of it all they're trying to include as much as they can. Face and Hair options currently have me wanting more though. Faces feel very similar to each other with some of the races, and the hair options while quite a few, I found it difficult to find one I liked. Almost as if there was TOO much flair and curls added, when all I wanted to find was a simple hair cut.
(Designer Mindset): As a designer, I remember making many battles focusing on different classes and subclasses within the enemy encounters when I was able. We'd use their abilities to script fights and let the rolls and tactics figure it out for the most part. So I feel like if only 6 classes are included so far, then the same is said of all npc's and encounters in the game. Which in turn, then has me wondering how this will change along the way, if at all? Not saying it won't, but it feels strange to me personally that more focus wasn't put in completing more classes to some degree first.

Gameplay: It feels like Divinity, but switching in D&D 5E Stats, Abilities, Skills and monsters and so on. Again, it's not a BAD thing at all, and it's enjoyable, but it feels like I'm playing a new Divinity Game set in Forgotten Realms more than anything.
(Designer Mindset): This one is still difficult for me as I feel more like I'm playing a new Divinity game more than anything.
Which again I DO enjoy, but it's not what I'd expected from a game labeled as a sequel. It feels too different, and while I expect changes over the MANY years and editions of D&D since then, it doesn't feel quite right regardless.

Companions: So far there are 5 companions available, most likely one of which you will NEVER use, as party size is limited and you won't want to double up with your own protagonist's choice in class. I haven't played far enough to be fair, but initial impressions are there is a lot of anger and bossy people in this world, and not enough fun and adventure seeker's.
(Designer Mindset): Pathfinder: Kingmaker I feel did this wonderfully, as you had someone cheerful available near the start, along with someone barbaric, some morally questionable choices, some valorous choices and so on. So far it feels as though everyone is out for themselves, and it's a bit hard to like them a whole lot as a result.
I know this CAN change, but going off what I feel so far is that they aren't memorable due to their personalities, but to something afflicting them if anything or a personal goal. That is more memorable than any type of personality so far. I don't know that this number of companions will change a whole lot either, which is unfortunate as I feel like a big part of what made things memorable for BG before was the choices between many companions and party make ups.

Why Baldur's Gate(?): I feel like this is the big question so far, and while I'm sure they want to maintain some mystery, but I guess I don't understand the choice yet. The game play while enjoyable feels too different from what I'd expect given the BG3 title. The change in party size, the way the turn based combat works, it feels too different. I'm enjoying myself, but it does leave me questioning why go the route of a sequel title then?

Larian has already made some amazing popular games, and if they wanted to go down their own Forgotten Realms story I think it's great, and I look forward to it. But why not a new title? The old designer in me is frustrated that it's named as a sequel, without any real continuation showing so far. Whether it's in story, gameplay, characters or anything. It might be there at some point, I don't know, but at this time, I haven't seen it.

When we went from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2, there was an emphasis on growing and expanding on what we could to give the player more choices and freedom. Adding subclasses, focusing on player choices in quests and the story, their companions and so on. There's not near enough choice in companions so far for me to be able to tell them to go to hell if I don't like them.

Verdict: From a game standpoint or a Baldur's Gate sequel stand point? While the story is interesting to me and I'm excited to see where it goes, it doesn't feel like it needed to be listed as a sequel. I feel I'd have enjoyed it more as a surprise down the road if it was tied in without announcing it as a sequel and putting certain expectations in place. The game play is great given Divinity's history, and while I expected the similarities, I think I was also expecting more changes rather than mostly the Stats and Naming conventions it feels like.

There are some bugs, and the game does need polish but its still very playable and enjoyable in Early Access. If you want a full feature and enjoyable game, and you're unable to look past the fact that its Early Access, I'd say try to wait though. I know when its finished it will be an enjoyable and well received game. Even in early access I feel I can recommend it. However, I struggle to feel as though it's any type of sequel to Baldur's Gate so far other than in name and knowing the city itself will make an appearance down the road. One day it might, but not today..

Last edited:

Irobot82

Seeing as Baldur's Gate is part of the Dungeons and Dragons stuff, does anyone know if they will be implementing some of the new... "changes" I've heard about? Things like removing negative racial stats to promote "Racial equality?"
Let us pray the woke stays on paper.

Esteldan

I've only played for a few hours so far but it does do a good job of replicating that Baldur's Gate 1 feel in which you explore a sandboxy world solving little problems as you get through the early levels.

There's plenty of the Divinity stuff like moving crates/items onto pressure points etc. so their style is still all through this. Don't expect a follow on from the Bioware games this still has that distinct Larian feel. I actually don't think BG fans will be the ones put off at this point though, I think it will be the people who've mainly played video games RPGs and get into this without much DnD experience.

In a game like this, levelling up is extremely simple compared to something like New Vegas/Wasteland 3 etc. where levelling up feels like more of an event with plenty of decision making.

I will say that the music so far has been a noticeable step down in quality compared to the Original Sin game. I'm aware that sadly the composer of those games passed away but it highlights how special a great composer really is. The new stuff has been generic and unmemorable so far though that might not be a big deal to many people.

Esteldan

Something I worry a little about is a TON of people buying this have never touched an Early Access product before and seem confused. The majority of critisism I've seen comes from people who aren't grasping that this isn't a finished product and is genuinely a beta.

I get the feeling people are expecting the completed first act but don't seem to understand class choice, character customisation etc. likely is still pretty bare bones, the priority right now is getting the content in an acceptable state and they'll build around that as time goes on.

That said Larian and WOTC have brought this on themselves a little bit. They're paying streamers to pay the game and clearly have sales expectations so Swen's line about "we just wanted a small community to test things out" doesn't ring true for me.

Started playing this last night. Its a bit buggy for sure. Some visual and audio glitches here and then. But otherwise really enjoying it!

Coming as an experienced Divinity OS player I was expecting Ranged attackers to be OP. And that seems to be the case here too. Though somewhat alleviated in comparison. Because in DOS, you needed to spend action points to move. In BG, movement points are separate from attacks & action points.

In DOS, if you didnt have to spend any points to move in a turn, you got more attacks in that round. So a team of mostly glass cannon snipers could often obliterate the enemy in the first turn or two while your opponent was still trying to advance on you.

In BG3, you have a separate movement pool. But at least for the early game, if you are a melee only character it will be rough. Because you often need to use a whole turn just to move into position. And not be able to make any melee attack. There is the rush ability that help close the distance gap faster. But that spends an action point.

Anyway so far, I find ranged still quite dominant. But its still the early game. And it remains to be seen how the combat will balance out later.

niilokin

Started playing this last night. Its a bit buggy for sure. Some visual and audio glitches here and then. But otherwise really enjoying it!

Coming as an experienced Divinity OS player I was expecting Ranged attackers to be OP. And that seems to be the case here too. Though somewhat alleviated in comparison. Because in DOS, you needed to spend action points to move. In BG, movement points are separate from attacks & action points.

In DOS, if you didnt have to spend any points to move in a turn, you got more attacks in that round. So a team of mostly glass cannon snipers could often obliterate the enemy in the first turn or two while your opponent was still trying to advance on you.

In BG3, you have a separate movement pool. But at least for the early game, if you are a melee only character it will be rough. Because you often need to use a whole turn just to move into position. And not be able to make any melee attack. There is the rush ability that help close the distance gap faster. But that spends an action point.

Anyway so far, I find ranged still quite dominant. But its still the early game. And it remains to be seen how the combat will balance out later.

Yeah the separate movement and action points sucks a bit as a melee. If you are already standing next to the enemy, you can still hit only once every turn.

Any way to turn off "XYZ disliked that"? Like, I really don't give a fuck if they like something or not, but it's annoying seeing those popups every time I talk to someone.

Sentenza

Honestly the more I play the more impressed I am with the overall quality, BUT there is one "typical Larian" feature that I'm starting to despise more and more with each passing hour, and it's their "typical part control with autofollow".

Even made a thread on the Larian forum to complain about it: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679414#Post679414

I'll quote in short the gist of it:

This control based on the position of a single character with all companions defaulting on auto-follow is genuinely cumbersome when you compare it to pretty much any other RPG in the same subgenre: the old BG games, Torment, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder, etc., where you simply cliclck and drag to select multiple characters, keep them in a formation you can rotate dragging the cursor and you can quickly send each one of them in different direction with ONE click.

There are several problems with the Larian solution:

- it's slower to use properly when precision is required.
- it's less accurate.
- it's a mess that turns into a comedic skit with idiots running randomly anywhere in any situation where you need to give everyone QUICK instructions on where to position.
- that mess can be deadly when there are combat triggers and/or traps around.

I can't honestly think of a single excuse to defend this "innovative" system they introduced since DOS1 in comparison with the above-mentioned titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

DJT123

Honestly the more I play the more impressed I am with the overall quality, BUT there is one "typical Larian" feature that I'm starting to despise more and more with each passing hour, and it's their "typical part control with autofollow".

Even made a thread on the Larian forum to complain about it: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679414#Post679414

I'll quote in short the gist of it:

So it doesn't have controller support yet but when you use the mouse it links all party members together like you're using a controller?

I played Pathfinder Kingmaker yesterday for the first time with my 360 controller and really enjoyed the experience. The auto follow works well, and when you need to select a specific character to go out ahead, disarm traps etc, you just individually unlink them. Wasteland 3 was the same and I love playing cRPGs like that. If I'm playing with a mouse I definetely want the classical approach you described.

Last edited:

Sentenza

So it doesn't have controller support yet but when you use the mouse it links all party members together like you're using a controller?

I played Pathfinder Kingmaker yesterday for the first time with my 360 controller and really enjoyed the experience. The auto follow works well, and when you need to select a specific character to go out ahead, disarm traps etc, you just individually unlink them. Wasteland 3 was the same and I love playing cRPGs like that. If I'm playing with a mouse I definetely want the classical approach you described.
Sorry, but right now fuck the controllers.
We are talking about the serious issue of having a proper control scheme, that is actually suited for a party-based RPG.

Is the combat like Pillars of Eternity?
Nah, nothing that bad.

Last edited:

DJT123

Sorry, but right now fuck the controllers.
We are talking about the serious issue of having a proper control scheme, that is actually suited for a party-based RPG.

Nah, nothing that bad.
Absolutely. I'm amazed there isn't proper mouse control for a party-based cRPG. That said, glad the rest of the game is impressing.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Absolutely. I'm amazed there isn't proper mouse control for a party-based cRPG. That said, glad the rest of the game is impressing.
Well, there is, but it's the same system used in both the Original Sin games and one I always loathed, because it simply doesn't work as well as it should.
I suspect it only exists precisely to be easy to translate as a controller-friendly scheme. But I don't give a shit about playing a tactical CRPG with a controller.
I want a point/click/drag system which is actually intuitive and quick to use.

klosos

Ya I've decided to hold off on purchasing it now and wait to 1.0 Full release day, I've watched a few streams of it and i know i am going to love it.

Just one question to the Old School fans is there any reference to the BG1 & 2 in it? I hope the best girl Viconia Devir and Edwin make an appearance

Top Bottom