• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Releases Fall 2024 - New Gameplay Revealed | Xbox Direct 2024

ahtlas7

I see potential here but I’ll eat my shorts if it’s actually out this fall and is good. Obsidian should take the time needed to make this great. Don’t follow Starfield.

Last edited:

Fredrik

yep. but i think this game ain't having a
200+ million dollar budget
Can’t they use some AI lip sync tool? I think Bethesda is using a software animator of some sort, they’re under the same umbrella now, should share their tech.
As it is it would be better with a still pic of the character you talk to.

foamdino

They could have made another great isometric CRPG set in the pillars of eternity universe (I dunno, Pillars of Eternity 3: Avowed). Instead they're spending all the budget on gfx.

As an RPG fan some big red flags:
  1. No inventory shown
  2. No classes/specs shown
  3. No stats shown
  4. No skills shown
  5. No journal shown
  6. Combat shown in very tiny slices
It's only a few months out and they still haven't shown any core RPG systems. This smells like an action game rather than an RPG.

I'm fine with the colourful style, but the trope of "the land is messed up" so they can pack multiple biomes into a small geographical space is a bit budget.

This presentation did nothing to convince me that Obsidian have improved at all since joining Microsoft - all that extra money and time and the quality of the output is worse (in terms of my preferences).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looks good to me, they just need to adjust the stun lock. Looks like there's a little too much if a pause when weapons connect.

This will be a solid 7.5 / 8 out of ten I bet like outer worlds. I really enjoyed that with the dlc played through it last summer. I really like obsidian dialogue.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They could have made another great isometric CRPG set in the pillars of eternity universe (I dunno, Pillars of Eternity 3: Avowed). Instead they're spending all the budget on gfx.

1. No inventory shown
  3. No stats shown
  4. No skills shown
  5. No journal shown
It's only a few months out and they still haven't shown any core RPG systems. This smells like an action game rather than an RPG.

I'm fine with the colourful style, but the trope of "the land is messed up" so they can pack multiple biomes into a small geographical space is a bit budget.

This presentation did nothing to convince me that Obsidian have improved at all since joining Microsoft - all that extra money and time and the quality of the output is worse (in terms of my preferences).

Because they're too busy showing themselves on screen, which was exactly the point of the thread I created.

Last edited:
Can’t they use some AI lip sync tool? I think Bethesda is using a software animator of some sort, they’re under the same umbrella now, should share their tech.
As it is it would be better with a still pic of the character you talk to.
that's interesting. MS is going to push very hard the A.I. implementation for game development.

but even if they have some kind of procedural lip sync tool or technology, the implementation and outcome can be lackluster

But MS is running against time. these games have to start coming out.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

1. No inventory shown
  3. No stats shown
  4. No skills shown
  5. No journal shown

It’s obsidian. All they have is some well written lines. The rest sucks or is just ok.
I never understood obsidian hype. I never shared opinion that kotor2 is better than 1 or new vegas is better than f3.

foamdino

It’s obsidian. All they have is some well written lines. The rest sucks or is just ok.
I never understood obsidian hype. I never shared opinion that kotor2 is better than 1 or new vegas is better than f3.
I really liked Pillars 1 & 2 - these are good games and actual CRPGs. The graphical fidelity they could have produced with a fixed isometric camera with the same budget would have been insane. Instead they waste all the money and effort on a jankfest first-person "rpg" (stripped of all the charm and actual rpg bits).

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I really liked Pillars 1 & 2 - these are good games and actual CRPGs. The graphical fidelity they could have produced with a fixed isometric camera with the same budget would have been insane. Instead they waste all the money and effort on a jankfest first-person "rpg" (stripped of all the charm and actual rpg bits).

Hopefully after BG3, Microsoft signs off on them or InXile doing a AAA cRPG.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
do you think indy will release this year?
Not the guy you asked, but I don't think Indy is making 2024. And there is a strong chance that Avowed will slip into early 2025.

Games nowadays almost always get delayed by ~3 months. Helldivers 2 is a recent example. Avowed is so late in the year that if it does get delayed, it will leave an open Holiday quarter for 2024 with no XGS game.

I'm getting 2022 vibes from H2 2024 unless Xbox has more games planned for that quarter that they haven't shown yet (which I doubt).

Last edited:

Ywap

Sadly i found Outer Worlds very boring...

Hope this one is better. Atleast It looks promising from what has been shown so far 👍

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I "abandoned" this game last time we got a preview. ..But now I'm back in, lol. Not expecting a perfect game, but at least a very bad feeling turned into a pretty good feeling. ..For now..

I was really surprised at how bad this looked, especially since they said they toned down the scale of the game so they could focus on their strengths. Well, whatever they think their strengths were, I haven't seem them in Avowed yet.
That's exactly what you would say.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Not sure about that.

Have you been following all the Hellblade 2 content/trailers they've released these past years? You would think they were Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan, or James Cameron. They make mediocre playing games, that in their mind are Hollywood film productions. After all of these years of their dumb ass trailers of the chick screaming into the camera and giving interviews about mental illness, now that Microsoft has a final build, even they realize the game is mid and not worth full price.

Last edited:

Kikorin

I absolutely hate the art style and the combat looked terrible, zero feedback given on every hit and spell, seems something made by modders. Anyway, for the rest the game could be interesting for people that like this kind of fantasy, probably will turn out little better than average.

Give me vibes of something made in early 2000, art and junkines.

Last edited:
Because they're too busy showing themselves on screen, which was exactly the point of the thread I created.
And your thread still makes no sense in a world where Capcom just a few years ago had an entire 30 minute direct where they essentially talked about game development and showed two logos, with one of them being Dragon's Dogma 2. Also in a world where Sega has a 1 hour conference in TGS with everyone on stage including voice actors and then in the last 2 minutes show 3 tiny snippets of footage of their latest game, Infinite Wealth.

Those are two way better examples that could have spawned a much better complaint thread about conferences wasting time, but you picked an event literally titled 'Developer Direct' to have an issue about developers talking to a camera to try to make it seem like a western issue and agenda.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
And your thread still makes no sense in a world where Capcom just a few years ago had an entire 30 minute direct where they essentially talked about game development and showed two logos, with one of them being Dragon's Dogma 2. Also in a world where Sega has a 1 hour conference in TGS with everyone on stage including voice actors and then in the last 2 minutes show 3 tiny snippets of footage of their latest game, Infinite Wealth.

Those are two way better examples that could have spawned a much better complaint thread about conferences wasting time, but you picked an event literally titled 'Developer Direct' to have an issue about developers talking to a camera to try to make it seem like a western issue and agenda.

Capcom released this on September 2023 at TGS. 6 months before Dragon's Dogma 2 release:

Compare that to the info/footage shown today for Hellblade 2 a game releasing in 4 months and Avowed a game slated for this year. We don't give a fuck about seeing the developers or them fucking about at the office when you've barely shown anything of your game.

Last edited:
Capcom released this in September 2023 at TGS. 6 months before Dragon's Dogma 2 release:

Compare that to the info/footage shown today for Hellblade 2 a game releasing in 4 months and Avowed a game slated for this year. We don't give a fuck about seeing the developers or them fucking about at the office when you've barely shown anything of your game.

But at least there was a very overweight woman driving a tiny baby scooter, because that’s what gives you the believe that this game will be awesome!

Capcom released this on September 2023 at TGS. 6 months before Dragon's Dogma 2 release:

You didn’t read my post correctly. I am talking about the Capcom summer conference from a few years ago where they showed a logo.

30 minutes for a freaking logo. I know people’s collective memory here can’t be that bad, because I remember a lot of zeroes and F ratings for that one.

Cut it out, Mister Wolf Mister Wolf lol.

Edit: Also c’mon man lol, why are you coming in here instead of your own thread, to try and make the same rants and derail this one?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You didn’t read my post correctly. I am talking about the Capcom summer conference from a few years ago where they showed a logo.

30 minutes for a freaking logo. I know people’s collective memory here can’t be that bad, because I remember a lot of zeroes and F ratings for that one.

Cut it out, Mister Wolf Mister Wolf lol.

Yeah and I'm talking about showcases for games that are releasing within a year where the publishers/developers have shown next to nothing of substance, yet they are more concerned with granting screentime to themselves than showing the product.

Yeah and I'm talking about showcases for games that are releasing within a year where the publishers/developers have shown next to nothing of substance, yet they are more concerned with granting screentime to themselves than showing the product.
Nothing about your thread’s OP was about time frame. It was about why western devs use screentime on themselves and why the Japanese don’t. Plenty of people posted proof of the fact that both sides are beyond guilty of this. You then moved the conversation here and now you’re changing the original messaging.

I agree with you and S systemr123 that not enough was shown. I just disagree with your other points surrounding the topic. You simply made a mistake. I do it all the time here too 🤷‍♂️

Zathalus

Art style is good, animation and lip sync are jank, combat is mediocre, and voice acting is pretty terrible. Very low expectations for this one. How on earth they go from Pillars of Eternity to this boggles the mind. Looking at the reception BG3 got I feel they should have been better off making Pillars of Eternity 3.

Godot25

Banned

1. No inventory shown
  3. No stats shown
  4. No skills shown
  5. No journal shown

Yeah. I'm sure they could have made another great isometric CRPG....
...if Deadfire despite it's quality didn't bomb hard commercially.

It's hilarious to ask Obsidian for another of those games, when players didn't played them despite high scores and critical praise.

Also. expecting to see invetory/class/specs/stats/skills/journal in 8 minutes presentation is pretty weird request. Especially since game is releasing in fall and there is plenty of time to do just that.

For me, game looked way better then last summer and I hope that additional 9 months polish will also help. I like colorful artstyle, but I'm currently mid on combat system. It lacks weight. So we will see.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

It's hilarious to ask Obsidian for another of those games, when players didn't played them despite high scores and critical praise.

Also. expecting to see invetory/class/specs/stats/skills/journal in 8 minutes presentation is pretty weird request. Especially since game is releasing in fall and there is plenty of time to do just that.

For me, game looked way better then last summer and I hope that additional 9 months polish will also help. I like colorful artstyle, but I'm currently mid on combat system. It lacks weight. So we will see.

They screwed themselves with stupid decisions. Real-time with pause is no longer popular, not enough voice acting, cant rotate the camera in the environment, lack of controller support. Larian understood all of those things should be a priority with the Divinity Original Sin series. Even now POI 1 and 2 has a console port yet still doesn't have controller support on PC.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Higher quality version of Avowed's key art via Xbox (looks dope as hell).

GEKL7XgXwAABSmr

This goes hard, holy shit. Super cool.

winjer

Gold Member
Art style is good, animation and lip sync are jank, combat is mediocre, and voice acting is pretty terrible. Very low expectations for this one. How on earth they go from Pillars of Eternity to this boggles the mind. Looking at the reception BG3 got I feel they should have been better off making Pillars of Eternity 3.

My thoughts as well.
I had some hype for this game, but after this presentation, it crumbled down to nothing.
Also, the writing they shoed was really bad. It almost reminded me of Immortals of Aveum.

Kindela

Banned
Looks interesting to be honest, but all the time I just kept thinking how much better it would look if it were a third person game. And this is not just another Indiana Jones meme. Looking at this, I just keep thinking of all the 3rd person games that have better melee/range combat (Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, Mass Effect, Dragon's Dogma, etc.). Those are all just much more fluid, tense, and snappy.
Maybe you can make a good combat (non FPS) game, but the only one I've ever played that was OK (still worse than most 3rd person combat systems), was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Looks interesting to be honest, but all the time I just kept thinking how much better it would look if it were a third person game. And this is not just another Indiana Jones meme. Looking at this, I just keep thinking of all the 3rd person games that have better melee/range combat (Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, Mass Effect, Dragon's Dogma, etc.). Those are all just much more fluid, tense, and snappy.
Maybe you can make a good combat (non FPS) game, but the only one I've ever played that was OK (still worse than most 3rd person combat systems), was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
I agree with your POV.

Unless you're making a military shooter game (e.g., Call of Duty), third-person is almost always a better option.

LastBattle

I watched in 4k after the direct was done as I’m in Australia and I’m not watching this before a sparrow has even farted yet. Big improvement over the last footage we saw. Looks beautiful in 4k. Can’t wait to jump into this world.

After watching the direct it occurred to me that Xbox and Sony offer very different experiences. I’m a fan of Sonys Cinematic type experiences they are known for, though it can get old if that’s all you play. On the flip
Side, Xbox offer a different immersive type tone from their game studios, which is equally awesome in its own right. You can see Xbox’s gaming DNA shining through in games like Avowed and Indiana Jones as well as Starfield (my personal 2023 game of the year).

Glad I get to experience both Sony’s and Xbox’s unique offerings and can’t wait to get my hands on Avowed.

Last edited:

foamdino

Now owned by Microsoft so we were all told "Obsidian saved", "Can make games they want without commercial pressure".

So they should be fine building another isometric deep CRPG since they have the "warchest" backing them up right?

alienator

But at least there was a very overweight woman driving a tiny baby scooter, because that’s what gives you the believe that this game will be awesome!
this annoyed the shit out of me to be honest, ofcourse they wanna show how much "fun" it is to work there! Its so fake and besides looking like a total idiot that should be focussed on their work, im quite sure if i arrive at the office today and driving a little baby scooter around my coworkers i can most likely file for unemployment at the end of the day..

Top Bottom