• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Releases Fall 2024 - New Gameplay Revealed | Xbox Direct 2024

zapper

for me the first teaser trailer remains unforgivable, with it they set a tone and an expectation that are not present in the final game shown in June and yesterday, it gives me the idea of a production totally revised downwards and with a very small budget.

imo it would have been better if they had continued in the style of the first two pillars, especially the first

since it is mentioned, it is incredible how dark messiahs combat (20 years ago ?) is superior to this and to all first-person melee RPGs

Last edited:

GHG

The fact that they showed those conversations with a straight face shows me they don't get it.

And there was me thinking there could be something here up until that point. Looks worse than the outer worlds in many aspects.

Microsoft should get behind these guys and give them some budget, they are far more capable than some of their bigger teams they allow to hang themselves.

Last edited:

Calverz

My hype for this has only gone up. I really like the look of the combat and the ability to instant switch loadouts etc depending on the situation. I really like the colour and vibrancy of the art. Day one for sure. Never played an obsidian game before that I can think of. Certainly not pillars games. Hopefully this will be my new Skyrim.

killatopak

The combat part. I feel like I already played that on modded Skyrim. I mean the loadouts themselves are basically just SkyUI basic features and that’s like the single most essential mod other than the unofficial bug fix one. The spells, the physical combat pairing and other stuff such as parrying is like textbook EnaiSiaion mod suite.

I’m holding out on quest and art style. While both doesn’t really impress me especially with the high saturated colors, I think I can be patient enough to wait for a deep dive on the contents.

Honestly, the private NPC took me out when I saw the Killmonger dreads sideswoop. The art direction is all over the place. Is this supposed to be modern, medieval or victorian?

GHG

My hype for this has only gone up. I really like the look of the combat and the ability to instant switch loadouts etc depending on the situation. I really like the colour and vibrancy of the art. Day one for sure. Never played an obsidian game before that I can think of. Certainly not pillars games. Hopefully this will be my new Skyrim.

I don't want to hear "but we didn't hype this" when this is swimming in 6's.

Calverz

I don't want to hear "but we didn't hype this" when this is swimming in 6's.
Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

I liked Obsidian for making games such as Deadfire and Tyranny. Sad to see them go in this direction- although I'm sure it makes financial sense.

Del_X

What the fuck is with the lighting and color grading. It still looks absolutely fucked. There's reasonably high texture detail but the contrast and saturation hides it.

Last edited:

Simpkin92

This was my most anticipated upcoming Xbox game and what they just showed killed it for me.

Art is on the whimsical wacky side instead of the darker serious tone they originally showed. Graphics are fine

What on earth was that voice acting and dialogue. I feel like college students could have done that better.

The Main offender was the combat. It looked extremely basic like a bad mobile ripoff. It also looked slow, boring and sluggish. The AI seemed like it was standing there staring into the void

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
It looks terrible. I bought an Xbox because I had in my mind it would be the ultimate RPG machine, but Starfield was disappointing and the more gameplay I see of this, the worse my opinion gets. Sigh, such a shame.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic did this way better over 15 years ago. The developer of that great game also made a terrible game for them, as well, now that I think of it.

Last edited:

Moochi

Compare the graphics and combat of this to Asgard's Wrath 2 . My conclusion is that the team at Obsidian are now either completely incompetent OR they are building this game for release on lower spec devices like the Switch 2 or VR.

Nydius

Environments, models, and effects look great but the gameplay looks mediocre as fuck. I'm not playing a game to stare at the environments or character models. Looks like another in a long line of games that's being hurried along and cobbled together to make sure there's a steady stream of Game Pass content.

The Game Pass Effect on overall game quality is real.
I don't see how even the most ardent Xbox fan can't see it after the last few years.

bender

What time is it?
Compare the graphics and combat of this to Asgard's Wrath 2 . My conclusion is that the team at Obsidian are now either completely incompetent OR they are building this game for release on lower spec devices like the Switch 2 or VR.

What's the last game from Obsidian that blew you away from a graphics standpoint?

Moochi

What's the last game from Obsidian that blew you away from a graphics standpoint?
I thought Fallout: New Vegas looked good at the time. I think the worst part of this trailer is that the lighting looks completely flat and unfinished.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought Fallout: New Vegas looked good at the time. I think the worst part of this trailer is that the lighting looks completely flat and unfinished.

Fallout: New Vegas was made on top of an existing game though.

Obsidian's games are good/great but they're not exactly graphical showcases. Outer Worlds was decent but it looked worse than Fallout 4 (IMO) at launch and Grounded and Pentiment are games with artistic or simplistic graphics anyway.

bender

What time is it?

A few things with that. I believe the general consensus is that it looked and performed worse than F3 and they heavily borrowed from the work of F3. I also wouldn't consider F3 or NV to be high marks for their contemporaries. I guess what I'm driving at, and I could be wrong, is that I don't expect Obsidian to blow me away with visuals.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A few things with that. I believe the general consensus is that it looked and performed worse than F3 and they heavily borrowed from the work of F3. I also wouldn't consider F3 or NV to be high marks for their contemporaries. I guess what I'm driving at, and I could be wrong, is that I don't expect Obsidian to blow me away with visuals.
Probably the best original graphics they had was Alpha Protocol.

Avowed is by far their best now.

Last edited:

simpatico

The voice acting on the side quest makes the fantasy characters sound like modern day urbanites. These motherfuckers own Obsidian and Bethesda at the same time and this is what they choose to make. smh

"Hey guys throw together a quick New Vegas sized sequel to Fallout 4"

Boom, you've just made $600,000,000.

I fear this is gonna be to Skyrim what Outer Words was the Fallout. Like a 1:10 scale replica that's still decent (fine even). I graded it on the curve because it had a short dev time and everything. My positive impression hinged on "well this shows good promise for a sequel when they actually flesh it out to Bethesda scale".

After the Starfield fiasco, it's really hit me that Bethesda RPG is a genre I've come to love and need. This is the longest we've gone without a proper new entry. I'm starving for a new one and Microsoft is over there fumbling the keys to the snack drawer.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hard pass on this. Looks like a Bethesda game, which Starfield proved...I really can't anymore. This isn't 2006.

I agree in a lot of ways.

I love this type of RPG, but I also feel some developers are taking advantage of that and using this idea to support safe, lazy development by not actually advancing much in the actual concept. So it doesn't come across as some homage of the concept, it comes across as an excuse to be basic as hell.

So them showing this whole "you can switch from a weapon to a spell" reeks of this 2006 mindset.

That isn't some wild, brand new concept that anyone should be explaining like they just made this revolunary concept.

This is not a no, but right now its not a day 1 and I need to see much more for me to put this in the buy list as this year has some amazing fucking titles. They can't live off of what they did several generations ago.

I don't think it looks bad at all. Looks like it could be fun, but I was thinking this would be more like Elder Scrolls, but they make it sound like you will progress through regions in a more linear ish sense. Or at least that's what I picked up from it. Interested to learn more.

It looks great for its likely budget. Sorry guys, MS isn't going to drop a half-billion on a single game. I expect Avowed to clock in at 100-150 million tops.

Top Bottom