• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Releases Fall 2024 - New Gameplay Revealed | Xbox Direct 2024

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Higher quality version of Avowed's key art via Xbox (looks dope as hell).

GEKL7XgXwAABSmr

Love this artwork. The game seems pretty good. Obsidian hasn’t disappointed me yet, so we’ll see.

CamHostage

We have always known war.

It forged our empire.

Turned heroes in to Kings and Queens, and decimated our foes.

Now our oaths are lost, forsaken.

And you must face the monsters our sins have born.

Is an oath, worth the weight of a crown?

Such a shame they obviously had to rewrite or reconceptualise this game. I don’t know if the end product will be good or bad, I just know it looks very generic story wise compared to what was initially teased.

I really don't think it's wildly reconceptialized though; the style was always going to be stylized, really look at the trailer and see.

In that teaser, there was just some cool poetry and then a descent into a dark cave (which the game has, albeit maybe not pitch-black to the point you can't see anything unless a dragon breathes fire in the next cavern over...) It evoked a mood that set people's imaginations alight, but what was actually in the teaser wasn't much content and it wasn't stylistically photorealistic and it certainly wasn't gameplay and it wasn't telling a story (unless you want to consider the arrow the protagonist of a flying journey from castle to lair?) and it was no less generic whether you thought it was a grim-dark fantasy setting or a color-rich fantasy setting we're seeing in some of these biomes shown in the full gameplay sequences.

We imagined more than what was really there back in 2020.

Previous comparison shots:
dwZjqiL.png
iXnWiwK.png

(*I'll ding my own point here by showing that goofy statue in the chamber room, but even the original teaser statue was stylized, and the nymph statue shown in the same clip looked perfectly normal so they may be some reason why that one statue is so dorky-looking.)
2vjHRFx.png

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

This doesn’t resemble the initial trailer whatsoever…

It looks like the art style has changed, it’s way more cartoonish than expected. The enemies look clunky, plastic and poorly animated. They don’t even appear to react properly when attacked. The writing is much too ‘fun’. I’m at a loss as to how much different the tone of this is compared to the release trailer. Seriously, wtf is this???
The animations and impact effects are god awful. The world looks lifeless, like all the decals have been turned off and the wind set to 0.

Stuart360

An RPG maker made an RPG? Absolutely Haram!

Such a weird post, especially when their last two games were very well received.
Yeah it was a very weird post, with the game being set in a universe that Obsidian are very well known for.

Been a few of these random and weird posts today in various threads from the showcase. Its almost like people are just copying and pasting posts from their 'Shitposts for Xbox threads' folder.

Last edited:
Some of the clunkiest, boring looking combat I've ever seen, art style looks like a 1st person Torchlight. I guess if this is what the Xbox fan base thinks is "great" then they deserve everything they get 🤷‍♂️ Indy looks solid so Xbox *might* deliver one noteworthy game in 2024.

Last edited:
I like the visuals but something looks off. Like everything is stiff. I also didn't like outer worlds so I'm not expecting much from this either.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like the visuals but something looks off. Like everything is stiff. I also didn't like outer worlds so I'm not expecting much from this either.

The only thing that stood out to me as something I would change is the hit-pauses (I don't know what the actual term is) which some games do, there's a brief pause in momentum whenever a hit connects.

I don't know why games do that.

The tone isn't what I expected from the initial reveal trailer. I thought it would be a realistic looking game with a mature tone. I was hoping for a skyrim but more mature and brutal weighty combat. It seems to be total opposite instead.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It looks so generic. Like the sort of game they would use in an action movie where James Bond is getting beat up through an apartment building and he's backpedaling in front of a kid playing this.

Its RPG as if designed by ChatGPT.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The Obsidian that gave us Kotor 2, New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, no longer exists. These people are Obsidian in name only and The Outer Worlds is one of the most overrated RPGs of all time, I hate that game with a passion.
Obsidian is a small AA dev. This isnt a situation where they were given a fully functioning combat system and game engine from a much larger dev like Bioware or Bethesda. They are building this by themselves.

demigod

The only thing that stood out to me as something I would change is the hit-pauses (I don't know what the actual term is) which some games do, there's a brief pause in momentum whenever a hit connects.

Y’all talking about “stagger”?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Y’all talking about “stagger”?
Maybe, it's not specific to enemies.

It's whenever a hit connects, there's a micro-pause in the action, a lot of JRPG's do this too. The Mana game they showed in the trailer also had this.

Jinzo Prime

It's called hitstop or hitstun. It is used to add impact to melee combat, but I don't think Western devs do it very well. God of War (2018) has a whole system built to handle hitstop, and I still didn't think it was great.

Havoc2049

I was busy today and just watchef the whole direct. Avowed looks great to me and I can't wait to play it.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I agree with those that love the box art. It looks great. I can get past the artistic changes if the game play is good. However, that weird Private Nauki character they showed was awful. If that is what they chose to show, I am not that confident this game is going to win me over.

Last edited:
Nah we just dont like this cartoonishly saturated shit.

It's first trailer was a perfect tone to use art wise and they dumped it for some reason.
Calm down Zack Synder.
Games are allowed to have different colors for the different biomes. Wear some sunglasses and play if you need it to be more dark. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Looks almost exactly like The Outer Worlds visually and tech wise, which is super disappointing cuz it's basically a past gen game on UE4. I mean, not everything should be Frozen Wilds, but I also can't say that I like the gameplay either. All in all, pretty much the same story as with The Outer Worlds - it's just totally not for me all things considered... and it's fine, plenty of other games to play.

Last edited:
I kind of don't get the hype for Obsidian. They have not made a true AAA game since Fallout 3. The Outer Worlds was pretty good for a lower budget game. The story arch and different branching paths were fun, but everything else, from the combat, ai, animations, and graphics was really mediocre.

Once Microsoft purchased Bethesda, I thought Obsidian would really shine with bigger budgets. This deep dive trailer just doesn't cut it for me. Everything mediocre about The Outer Worlds is shown in this trailer. It also seems like a disservice to the developers to highlight the obvious mediocre combat systems and not focus at all on the actual RPG elements of the game, which is what Obsidian is actually good at.

sachos

Uhmmm, im not sure about this one. Always skeptical of first person melee combat since i played Skyrim back in the day, looks kinda clunky. Art style is also different than what i originally imagined the game to be based on the reveal trailer, looked way more dark aesthetic. Hope its great!

Redefine07

Meh , looks average the combat animations are bad AI is bad also those guns looks silly in this universe , I will try it on gamepass.

Top Bottom